Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Early 2012. There were new N and R lists released. The R list is woefully incomplete. But the n32 is gone

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

Looks like they are finally getting around to filling in those deep digs in the last section of mainline works. Plenty of muck-shifting and back-filling going on there in a tight space.

Good bit of activity in the NB HS as well laying the services along the stretch coming up to the bridges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Jayuu wrote: »
    I notice that it takes note of the detrunking on the N32 to Malahide which has been reclassifed as the R139.

I don't know why this is still signed to Malahide, traffic entering the M1 from the Airport should be directed to Swords and then the Malahide road from there.

Traffic in Holywell should know the way to the Malahide road, and traffic at Lissenhall is signed to go via Swords.

The route should be signed Clarehall and Baldoyle.

The fact there's no signage at the lights at Clarehall for Malahide confirms this eejitry

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

I never understood this obsession with Malahide on the M50 signage either, surely Baldoyle, Donaghmede, etc. would be far more appropriate places to have signed since the N32 goes directly there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

BMJD wrote: »
    I never understood this obsession with Malahide on the M50 signage either, surely Baldoyle, Donaghmede, etc. would be far more appropriate places to have signed since the N32 goes directly there?

I find standalone towns or villages get far more signage prominence then suburbs with far more population. The amount of signs I see around north Dublin for St Margaret's is unreal when it's just a tiny populated district.

Separately, is it true a dedicated cycle bridge/tunnel is being built for cyclists on the new Donabate junction for cyclists between Swords and Donabate to prevent them interfacing with vehicles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 Scipio76

ongarboy wrote: »
    I find standalone towns or villages get far more signage prominence then suburbs with far more population. The amount of signs I see around north Dublin for St Margaret's is unreal when it's just a tiny populated district.

Separately, is it true a dedicated cycle bridge/tunnel is being built for cyclists on the new Donabate junction for cyclists between Swords and Donabate to prevent them interfacing with vehicles?

It is indeed. I predict these underpasses will be a boon for cyclists who also have an interest in heroin addiction and dogging.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭BMJD

true...same with directions for Naul, directing traffic from Exit 4 on the M50 is crazy considering the route that would lead you on, when it's only 5 minutes off the M1.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭antoobrien

BMJD wrote: »

Road signs are used to show the "main" destination along a route - this is why Malahide is so prominent on the M50 - with signage to local areas that the road basses along/through being of local importance. It's the same thing with all the N/M roads e.g. While somebody going to Kilbeggan doesn't care the the M6 goes to Gawlay, the signage isn't prominent until after Kinnegad.

Complaining about this is a bit like saying that Twomileborris should be more prominent than Cork on the M8.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

antoobrien wrote: »
    Road signs are used to show the "main" destination along a route - this is why Malahide is so prominent on the M50 - with signage to local areas that the road basses along/through being of local importance. It's the same thing with all the N/M roads e.g. While somebody going to Kilbeggan doesn't care the the M6 goes to Gawlay, the signage isn't prominent until after Kinnegad.

Complaining about this is a bit like saying that Twomileborris should be more prominent than Cork on the M8.

Only problem is Malahide is not on this route?

celticbest wrote: »
    Only problem is Malahide is not on this route?

Bray isn't on the M11 either.

• Advertisement

Maybe because Bray has the largest population in the locality....

However the Signage on the N32 is crazy, going by Population Malahide should hardly get a mention, it is KM's away from the N32, whereas the areas with the greater poplution which also happen to be on the route get no mention.....

Donaghmede circa 45,000
    Baldoyle circa 30,000
    Malahide circa 20,000

Why would you name the place with the least population which is also furthest away from the Primary route are the main destination?

Maybe because Bray has the largest population in the locality....

However the Signage on the N32 is crazy, going by Population Malahide should hardly get a mention, it is KM's away from the N32, whereas the areas with the greater poplution which also happen to be on the route get no mention

Population of areas that occur along a road corridor is irrelevant on roads when it comes to signage - especially on national routes like the M50. Local population centers like Donaghmede, Baldoyle etc should only be listed at the appropriate exit. Malahide is a town that is the destination of one of the roads off the M50 (iirc the N32 was originally supposed to be part of the M50 and link to the malahide Rd, so this holds true for the M50).

It's a bit like saying that we should sign Lucan not Dublin on the N4 because it's the first major population center.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

But the exit for it is.
    There is no exit for Malahide on the N32 unless you count Hole In The Wall Road (and I wouldn't).

That said, I agree it's probably a more famous destination than Baldoyle.

Population of areas that occur along a road corridor is irrelevant on roads when it comes to signage - especially on national routes like the M50. Local population centers like Donaghmede, Baldoyle etc should only be listed at the appropriate exit. Malahide is a town that is the destination of one of the roads off the M50 (iirc the N32 was originally supposed to be part of the M50 and link to the malahide Rd, so this holds true for the M50).

It's a bit like saying that we should sign Lucan not Dublin on the N4 because it's the first major population center.

The N32 goes nowhere near Malahide, to get to Malahide you have to go though Kinsealy using the R107, however the N32 does go to Donaghmede & under the original plan it was supposed to go all the way to Baldoye.

N32_zpsb61f17c6.jpg

So therefore signing Malahide as the destination is incorrect.

Anyway back on topic - Latest camera feeds of progress

Site16Camera111.jpg

Site16Camera112.jpg

Site16Camera113.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

what do people think of the new split in lane for the exit to Malahide/N32/whatever its called now, when going southbound on the M1 at the M50 interchange?

a lot of times when I'm on this road, in this lane heading towards the city, the car in front of me swerves when it comes upon the split. There's no warning of it and I personally don't recall seeing a split like that on any other road i've travelled on.

There was a serious accident at that exit a couple of weeks back which caused tailbacks to Donabate and beyond. I wonder was it as a result of this lane split?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

a lot of times when I'm on this road, in this lane heading towards the city, the car in front of me swerves when it comes upon the split.

Define swerve. Move into the lane for the R139? Move away from the lane for the R139? Move from the M50W lane into the citybound lane just before the R139 lane starts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭giant_midget

Does anyone have an idea when this bunch of chimps will be finished with the M1 changes? They did one section (very slowly) up near the Airport now they are digging at the Donabate junction.

Would a normal company not just get all the digging done at once? In the UK this work would be complete in about 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

No. There are several tunnels being built ;)

I think going to Swords from Lusk, there will be a tunnel under the hearse road and on slip to the M1, then another tunnel under the off slip M1n-> r132
    While coming from Swords, there will be a tunnel under the on slip r132n->M1n and a surface junction at the m1s offslip

I'm not sure how the bridge across the m1 mainline is being done

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭F1 fanatic

Here's a link to the drawings for this junction.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Files/Roads/L131133GA.pdf

The cycle track is highlighted in red

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭rubberdiddies

ardmacha wrote: »
    Define swerve. Move into the lane for the R139? Move away from the lane for the R139? Move from the M50W lane into the citybound lane just before the R139 lane starts?

happened again today!

by swerve i mean veer towards R139 then when they realise, veer back.

Machines on-site this evening laying tar on the final section of mainline. Also the deep excavations in this section of mainline are closed in and about to be covered in tar. I'd say they'll finish the tarring tomorrow. there's still a wearing layer missing from the new lane over both bridges.

Still working in the HS NB laying services. Plenty of ducting left laid out to be put down.

cargo wrote: »

Plenty of machines back at the mainline this am. Should get the rest of the mainline layers down this am. Then onto the central barrier works in this area.

If you look at the central area in the picture above you can see the the base for a gantry. These structures were possibly the need for the large excavations that seemed to take ages to complete along this stretch.

All this work could be wrapped up by the middle of next week but there will be a lane shift onto this new section for a while to allow the HS works to be completed in the area before they will be able to open the extra 3rd mainline lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭Kumsheen

All this work could be wrapped up by the middle of next week but there will be a lane shift onto this new section for a while to allow the HS works to be completed in the area before they will be able to open the extra 3rd mainline lane.

Still a lot of work to be done up at the overhead junction. I'm not sure if they will open the completed mainline sections until the whole project is finished.

Mainline update:

The look to have finished all the surfacing works except wearing layer now on the final piece of mainline works. Nearly all the machinery has been removed in advance of the concrete central barrier machine arriving on-site. I imagine they will be marking it out for this today. (camera 113)

SB lane 1 and the HardShoulder have been planed from where the newly open 3 lane section starts back up into the works area for a few hundred meters or so. (to the bridge carying the minor road over see camera 111) It cant go any further as there's still HS services to be laid SB. All the ducting and drainage piping has been sitting in the SB HS for the past week or so. (camera 112)

They should be finishing up with the NB HS services in the next few days and I would imagine they will start planing this side of the works (old lane 1 and HS). (camera 112)

The final wearing layers wont go in until the central barrier is finished at the end of the works on the northern side.

Just wondering if anyone has gotten there hands on the final drawings for this upgrade?

How is the lane drop/gain to be incorporated into the finished upgrade?

Is it going to happen at Junction 4 or are we going to have the ridiculous scenario we had when phase 1 of the upgrade was complete at Junction 3 where the lane drop was after the Junction and there was a crash on a near daily basis....

The drawings are in this thread earlier and were referred to a few pages back as well. It will be a lane-drop at jct4 the previous one was a very temporary thing while they did the upgrade in 2 phases. They currently have the mainline gone just a few metres past Jct4 so it looks like they are going as per plans.

The drawings are in this thread earlier and were referred to a few pages back as well. It will be a lane-drop at jct4 the previous one was a very temporary thing while they did the upgrade in 2 phases. They currently have the mainline gone just a few metres past Jct4 so it looks like they are going as per plans.

Sorry cargo, have looked back through the last few pages and cannot find any drawings with the works passing the junction.

The mainline works are continuing beyond Junction 5 by at least 50-100 meters. It seems like a whole lot of work for nothing if the 3 lane do not go beyond the Junction.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,959 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

Sorry cargo, have looked back through the last few pages and cannot find any drawings with the works passing the junction.

The mainline works are continuing beyond Junction 5 by at least 50-100 meters. It seems like a whole lot of work for nothing if the 3 lane do not go beyond the Junction.
    There is probably an intention to eventually go beyond the junction but there is no lane drop this time.
    The lane drop last time was due to the short time between the J2-J3 upgrade and the J3-J4 (this one), so they just left a lane drop in temporarily.

• Advertisement

ahh bol**x now u have me hooked.....off i go... back in a minute :-)

Advertisement