Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

M1 New Section of D3 (three lanes) at Swords

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭sgarvan

would the median barrier not be precast and brought in a dropped?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭cargo

sgarvan wrote: »
    would the median barrier not be precast and brought in a dropped?

I would imagine it'll be like all the other concrete central barriers that have been installed in the past few years since the switchover from wirerope and will be laid in-situ. This is what was used on the 1st stage of this upgrade.

The drawings dont specify the standard only "0.54m concrete safety barrier"

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/Roads/SchemesonDisplay/SchemesPreviouslyonDisplay/DrinanLissenhall-Proposed3rdLane/Drawings%20for%20Website%20and%20Display%20Stand.pdf

And from looking at photos / videos online the barrier normally gets laid before the final layer goes down. Had they done both lanes level with the existing road or just the lane nearest the road?

It was hard to tell as I was in moving traffic. It looked like the lane nearest the road SB

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

The lane SB was up to the layer just below wearing course yesterday evening

Oh dear just realized there is only one lane been added in each direction!! Sorry for the confusion sgarvan.

Any further layers added NB yet?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭Irish and Proud

cargo wrote: »

Oh dear just realized there is only one lane been added in each direction!! Sorry for the confusion sgarvan.

Any further layers added NB yet?

Indeed, I was wondering when the new road area appeared wide enough for two lanes (was on it Thursday) - however, I forgot that the original two lanes were pushed out towards the verge - there's also the generous provision for the median barrier. In any case, the Broadmeadow Bridge can only take one extra lane each way with no hard shoulder.

Regards!

Passed through this am and as mentioned by others above, SB is up to wearing layer all through. From what I could see across the NB is the same (it was always a day or 2 ahead so I presume it's done) and the guide wire dispenser for the in-situ barrier has been dropped in on the SB barrier run.

And just at the start of the works I saw a truck heading NB with a in-situ barrier machine on the back with a nice big SIAC sticker on it so I would think it was been delivered to this site.

Not sure how the temporary tie-in will work, I imagine it will just be moving the current outside lane drop further NB? Will this have any impact on traffic in the evening NB? (of course when it's finished to the next junction it will)

cargo wrote: »
    Passed through this am and as mentioned by others above, SB is up to wearing layer all through. From what I could see across the NB is the same (it was always a day or 2 ahead so I presume it's done) and the guide wire dispenser for the in-situ barrier has been dropped in on the SB barrier run.

And just at the start of the works I saw a truck heading NB with a in-situ barrier machine on the back with a nice big SIAC sticker on it so I would think it was been delivered to this site.

Not sure how the temporary tie-in will work, I imagine it will just be moving the current outside lane drop further NB? Will this have any impact on traffic in the evening NB? (of course when it's finished to the next junction it will)

That was the machine for this scheme I spotted yesterday. It's sitting on the start of the S.B works now. There's some of the levels / guides for it down but not all yet.

They were laying some more tarmac NB. I'd say the finished the last of it last night.

3279244722_127e2f583a.jpg

I presume it is a machine similar to this you are talking about

I presume it is a machine similar to this you are talking about

That would be the one allright. On the LHS of that pic you can see the steel rods and levels they use to guide the driver (the rods with the string between them) and there are a few of them installed on the SB run already.

Also they have the reel for laying out the reinforcing steel cables, that run through the middle of the barrier, in place on the SB run. (you can see some of the cables I mean just lying in front of the machine in the picture above.)

So they cant be too far off laying the SB barrier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

Just wondering does anybody know if the resurfacing works will be carried out in the same manner as the previous upgrade were all lanes of the carriageway were resurfaced or are they just going to tie the new lane into the existing surface on the current carriageway?

There was about 80m barrier laid southbound this evening.

There was about 80m barrier laid southbound this evening.

Good stuff even quicker than I thought they'd get to start it. It's slow work but it's only a short run each way so won't take too long. 2 full days would make a good dent in the run.

I am surprised that while the tar laying and the barriers are being put in place that the diggers have not moved onto the next section.

More progress is good anyway. I wonder will the beautiful weather out there prevent concrete being laid today?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭celticbest

I am surprised that while the tar laying and the barriers are being put in place that the diggers have not moved onto the next section.

More progress is good anyway. I wonder will the beautiful weather out there prevent concrete being laid today?

I don't think it will, I remember when the M50 was being upgraded that even on bad weather days the Barrier was still laid.

Dont think the weather will affect the pouring of the barrier too much.

As far as I recall there's not many machines lying up idle on the mainline. The earthworks are continuing up at the junction improvements so they probably have a plan to do this mainline section 1st (coming into final stages) then the junction (currently early stage works) then tie the two into each other by doing the bit in between. They will most likely just move onto the middle bit in a few weeks once the 1st part is completed.

There was a guy with what was probably a gps pole surveying the manholes on the Broadmeadow bridge this afternoon.

There's a fair bit of hardcore down at Lissenhall.
    immediately east of the R132N -> M1N, east of the M1N-> junction
    through the southern roundabout.

Good progress on the central median SB today

Good progress on the central median SB today

yep, there's a 4' gap between the new and old barrier at the south end.
    wires for reinforcing are laid out northbound.

northbound median started yesterday evening

• Advertisement

Well more than 2/3 done NB this evening.

Also tarmac down on the M1N slip to the R132, north of the existing slip approaching the southern roundabout.

There's rolled gravel/cbm on the other side of the roundabout, from the rab to the slip onto the M1N

There's hardcore down for the movement from M1S to R132S through the northern tab; and good work on the straight through route on the southern roundabout.

The barrier is finished NB and there's some lined tarmac at Lissenhall, ready for traffic to be diverted as soon as the new traffic lights are switched on

The barrier is finished NB and there's some lined tarmac at Lissenhall, ready for traffic to be diverted as soon as the new traffic lights are switched on

I hope to post an update later today - according to the Dublin traffic cams, the gap in the RCB barrier SB is closed and it seems like the lanes for the next section towards the Broadmeadow Bridge are being realigned.

Regards!

I hope to post an update later today - according to the Dublin traffic cams, the gap in the RCB barrier SB is closed and it seems like the lanes for the next section towards the Broadmeadow Bridge are being realigned.

Regards!

The following image shows what appears to be the completion of the Southbound RCB tie in at Drynam:

Site0Camera111.jpg
    (image self refreshing)

The next image shows the newly realigned lanes on the section (between Drynam and the Estuary) normally visible to Traffic Cam #112:

Site0Camera112.jpg
    (image self refreshing)

Hopefully, we can view the entire lane construction process online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,115 ✭✭✭rameire

just wondering does anybody know the official speed limit near the Drynam interchange.
    Took a spin past yesterday to have a look at the works and was doing 80 at the operational 3 lanes section and just where the lanes merge to 2 operational lanes there was a Garda Speed Van under the Bridge with a Garda in the Van looking at her phone.

I was thinking the speed limit is 80 but saw some 60 speed limit signs, but am not sure if they were temporarily signed into law for the roadworks.

as for the work, its looking good.

🌞 3.8kwp, 🌞 Split 2.28S, 1.52E. 🌞 Clonee, Dub.🌞

Passed this am. Hadn't been this way in nearly 2 weeks.

to confirm the above, they have completed the barrier works and the road surface looks finished up to the wearing course level. (hard to see but the new lane is still a few mm below the existing lanes. Possibly a full resurface job like on the older section as they tie them in.

The machinery is all gone (presumably now up at the interchange works) and the steel barrier has been extended all the way to the Broadmeadow Bridge. The existing lanes have been shifted to the HS side and relined but no big earthworks happening here yet. The old central barrier is been stripped and there's a single tracked machine removing bits and pieces at the SB end.

The next section seems to go as far as the bridge over the road the recycling centre is on , not the main estuary viaduct

New (short)sections of road are open at Lissenhall, to allow the junction changes

The median on the first section is being filled in with soil

<snip>The median on the first section is being filled in with soil

I could clearly see that on DCC traffic cam #111 (shown in post above). Great to see work progressing well despite the very poor weather we've been having.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭Wild Bill

T

The median on the first section is being filled in with soil

The median is wide enough to allow four lanes in each direction!

• Advertisement

Meant to say the new lanes are about 3cm below the running lanes at the min, dunno if they'll only bring it up flush or resurface the whole lot

Advertisement