Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

How many MPG?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Sam Kade wrote: »
    Just learn how to figure mpg to get a real comparison. If you have any trouble I'll help you;)

Hmm

approx €1.23 per litre X 4.55 = €5.59 per gallon approx

40/ 5.59 = 7.15 gallons

600 km = 600x5/8 = 375 mls

375 mls / 7.15 gallons = 52.44 per gallon.

And unless I got my maths all wrong in my first post or this one I am getting in or around the same figure
    98% stop start driving around town.

over 600 Km per €40

Approx 375 Miles

= 9.375miles to €1

How much is diesel now?
    Approx €5.60 per gallon X 9.375 = 52.5 Miles to the gallon..

'08 SEAT Cordoba 1.4tdi Sport

Anyone want to work that out if I got it wrong ? :D

Be my guest if you want to prove me wrong.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

52 MPG is very good for 98% town driving! Nearly to good......:)

You could get a more accurate reading with two fills of fuel. Next time you go to fill up, fill it to the absolute tits, then reset your trip meter before pulling off. Head on your merry way until you need to fill up again. Next time fill up to the absolute tits again. The fuel in litres from the pump is the amount you've used since last filling up & you'll have the actual distance travelled on your trip meter. So divide the litres by the km traveled & multiple be 100 to L/100km, or convert your litres to gallons & divide the miles traveled by that amount.

Apparently the true reading is more an average of many fills but its a good start to see where you are.

You shouldn't be using cost to calculate btw, just volume & distance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

kierank01 wrote: »
    05 corolla 1.4 D4D

19.5-20 km/l

no mpg for me, thank you

You should be calculating in litres/100km if you're going to go new-fangled.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

00 1.4l Ford Focus hatchback.

35.2 mpg combined urban/rural driving

• Registered Users Posts: 3,911 ✭✭✭GTE

vectra wrote: »
    Maybe because we go to the same pump all the time and prices of diesel hasnt really changed all that much recently ;)

No, not really. Not at all. Thats a really silly comment.

On the point of people using euros and distances travelled purely as a fuel efficiency indicator I most probably don't fill up at the same pump as everyone here so people cant assume prices everywhere are the same. From pumps.ie there is a 10 euro difference from filling up a 55 litre tank from the cheapest reported diesel to the most expensive in the past week.

In Vectras example (used for figures) that would equal a 34 litre fill vs a 29 litre fill which is 5 litres which is 1.1 gallons which for me is 62.7 miles.

Btw to Vectra.
    Presuming that the ppl at your station is 1.239 then this is a much easier and more reliable way to work it out is.

Amount spent filling divided by ppl (1.239 for you) = litres
    litres to gallons using TDIClub converter or other
    Miles divided by gallons.

40 divided by 1.239 = 32.27
    32.27l = 7.10
    375 divided by 7.1 = 52.82

Though for the people who will do it the normal less needlessly convoluted way then all they need to do is.

Litres to gallons
    Distance divided by gallons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

I can't see why someone would go through all the maths involved in using price when right under price on the pump & on your receipt also is the amount in litres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭Chaz

Around 21 MPG - typical run from home to work, a bit of town driving but mostly motorway.

2003 BMW 545i SE.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭vectra

sentient_6 wrote: »
    52 MPG is very good for 98% town driving! Nearly to good......:)

You could get a more accurate reading with two fills of fuel. Next time you go to fill up, fill it to the absolute tits, then reset your trip meter before pulling off. Head on your merry way until you need to fill up again. Next time fill up to the absolute tits again. The fuel in litres from the pump is the amount you've used since last filling up & you'll have the actual distance travelled on your trip meter. So divide the litres by the km traveled & multiple be 100 to L/100km, or convert your litres to gallons & divide the miles traveled by that amount.

Apparently the true reading is more an average of many fills but its a good start to see where you are.

You shouldn't be using cost to calculate btw, just volume & distance.

I can tell you exactly how much fuel I have burned to mileage over the past two years and you can get an average that way.
    Might do it actually :D
    bbk wrote: »
    No, not really. Not at all. Thats a really silly comment.

On the point of people using euros and distances travelled purely as a fuel efficiency indicator I most probably don't fill up at the same pump as everyone here so people cant assume prices everywhere are the same. From pumps.ie there is a 10 euro difference from filling up a 55 litre tank from the cheapest reported diesel to the most expensive in the past week.

In Vectras example (used for figures) that would equal a 34 litre fill vs a 29 litre fill which is 5 litres which is 1.1 gallons which for me is 62.7 miles.

Btw to Vectra.
    Presuming that the ppl at your station is 1.239 then this is a much easier and more reliable way to work it out is.

Amount spent filling divided by ppl (1.239 for you) = litres
    litres to gallons using TDIClub converter or other
    Miles divided by gallons.

40 divided by 1.239 = 32.27
    32.27l = 7.10
    375 divided by 7.1 = 52.82

Though for the people who will do it the normal less needlessly convoluted way then all they need to do is.

Litres to gallons
    Distance divided by gallons.

Between you and I we all averaged 52 ish which is about right but I am going to calculate the amount burned over the past 2 years to get an accurate reading..;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭stealthyspeeder

I hate MPG threads! I the best MPG I have seen is going down a hill on the M1 where the display flickerd breifly to a 33.5 MPG!

Normally I would say im getting about 9-10 MPG in town, 17 on the combined and high twenties on the Motorways.

The offending car is a vauxhall monaro 5.7 litre V8, but the way I think about it is, its not about miles per gallon, its about smiles per gallon :D

its not about miles per gallon, its about smiles per gallon :D

Oh thats cheesy . . . . . . :D

• Advertisement

I hate MPG threads! I the best MPG I have seen is going down a hill on the M1 where the display flickerd breifly to a 33.5 MPG!

Normally I would say im getting about 9-10 MPG in town, 17 on the combined and high twenties on the Motorways.

The offending car is a vauxhall monaro 5.7 litre V8, but the way I think about it is, its not about miles per gallon, its about smiles per gallon :D

Heavier than mine. What BHP from that engine then?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭DeepSleeper

Peugeot 607 2ltr diesel = 41.6mpg average over 6,000 miles...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

i dont know how to count mgp, i know some people made formulas, but suck at it :D

470km from 60l tank motorway driving 130km/h sometimes a bit fester to overtake someone

300km from full tank when pure city/trafic driving.

so how much mpg would that be lads? i presume very very low

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Guy on Joe Duffy today said that he was able to drive from Blarney to Dublin in a 1.6 petrol Opel Vectra for €11. Now I stand corrected on this but that's not far off 90 mpg. That's some Vectra :eek:

i dont know how to count mgp, i know some people made formulas, but suck at it :D

470km from 60l tank motorway driving 130km/h sometimes a bit fester to overtake someone

To get the MPG we need to do two things. Get the miles and the gallons from the kilometres and litres.

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

Using that page we can put in the KM and litres then we can do the calculation.
    470km = 292.1miles
    60l = 13.2 Gallons

So now we divide the miles by the number of gallons.
    292.1 divided by 13.2 = 22.12 mpg

I know you asked for the mpg only but I thought trying to explain it a bit was more helpful.

bbk wrote: »
    To get the MPG we need to do two things to that. Get the miles and the gallons from the kilometres and litres.

http://www.tdiclub.com/misc/conversions.html

Using that page we can put in the KM and litres then we can do the calculation.
    470km = 292.1miles
    60l = 13.2 Gallons

So now we divide the miles by the number of gallons.
    292.1 divided by 13.2 = 22.12 mpg

I know you asked for the mpg only but I thought trying to explain it a bit was more helpful.

dont give the fish, but teach how to catch it. ;) fair play, thx!

Chaz wrote: »
    Heavier than mine. What BHP from that engine then?

Snap, or close about ...

is that from 5.7 v8?!?!

is that from 5.7 v8?!?!

Yes, thats why I asked what BHP. My car is 'only' a 4.4 V8 - same BHP and less consumption.

• Advertisement

Yes, thats why I asked what BHP. My car is 'only' a 4.4 V8 - same BHP and less consumption.

mine is 2.5 turbo with 399, and a small weebit better mpg. i know its different sut up, but i was expecting waaaaaaay better power from 5.7 V8....

p.s wouldnt your car be a 740i? ;)

its a big lazy engine! its not doing much over idle rpm at the maximum speed limit in 6th gear! Some Corvettes use the same engine and are getting near 500 bhp from it! I think its just at that power so that it never have any engine issues no matter how hard you push it.

mine is 2.5 turbo with 399, and a small weebit better mpg. i know its different sut up, but i was expecting waaaaaaay better power from 5.7 V8....

p.s wouldnt your car be a 740i? ;)

Cant compare the two in fairness. I know which Id rather have for a daily driver ....

No, my car is a 545i SE, 4.4L V8.

Cant compare the two in fairness. I know which Id rather have for a daily driver ....

well i am not comparing the mpg, i was just interested in mpg/power. plus main thing why i asked, as i was surprised on low hp from such huge engine.

you can have whatever you whant for daily driving as i really dont care bud. ;)

No, my car is a 545i SE, 4.4L V8.

wouldnt that be same engine in bouth? lovely car anyway, manual?

as far as i remember, mpg from 520 is not that different of 545. would that be right?

wouldnt that be same engine in bouth? lovely car anyway, manual?

as far as i remember, mpg from 520 is not that different of 545. would that be right?

No, dont think its the same engine but not 100% certain. Not sure the 520 consumption - perhaps better on open road, town driving, due to larger car, might also be bad.

Thing is - I generally drive fairly light footed and when I want to use the power, its there. I know that its possible to get under 15 MPG or even worse ....

I actually like turbo cars - have had a few - the torque (and sound) is nicer on a larger engined car. Then again - as long as its RWD im generally happy.

No, mines auto - again, its my daily commute and sometimes traffic can be crappy. Most of time im happy with it being auto - 10% of the time, not.

No, dont think its the same engine but not 100% certain. Not sure the 520 consumption - perhaps better on open road, town driving, due to larger car, might also be bad.

Thing is - I generally drive fairly light footed and when I want to use the power, its there. I know that its possible to get under 15 MPG or even worse ....

I actually like turbo cars - have had a few - the torque (and sound) is nicer on a larger engined car. Then again - as long as its RWD im generally happy.

No, mines auto - again, its my daily commute and sometimes traffic can be crappy. Most of time im happy with it being auto - 10% of the time, not.

remember a good few discussions about 520, as it was better to go for bigger engine as mpg are not much different, but you get a nice bonus bhp.

Well sound of V8 is har to beat ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,870 ✭✭✭Joeface

I actually have been keeping track of this lately

Average is 39mpg , Integra 1.6i, pretty sure it could be higher ...a bit less pedal.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Puma5

About 28mpg S Type Jag 3 litre

Advertisement