Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is the Deepwater Horizon oil spill?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

this is completely wrong btw.

On land the have dug deeper, in Russia I believe, not at sea though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

On land the have dug deeper, in Russia I believe, not at sea though.

there's multiple wells off shore that are deeper than this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

The spill is 5000 feet deep. When the pressure from the oil subsides, they won't need to pump water in, it will rush in with great force due to the weight of the water.

They have never drilled so deep before for oil. The concern is that there is magma down there which will turn the water to steam thus expanding it, lifting the sea floor and causing the tsunami.

It's silly to bitch about weather it will happen or not. It is a possibility.
    Let's not loose sight of the fact that these money hungry greedy f*cking animals are destroying out planet. It's pointless to argue about how much or how fast they are destroying it. It is a concern for us all.

Would the magma not already be in the oil well in that case/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

They have never drilled so deep before for oil. The concern is that there is magma down there which will turn the water to steam thus expanding it, lifting the sea floor and causing the tsunami.

Where exactly is this magma?

If there was magma there then why hasnt it ignited whats down there and exploded the whole well?

see, this is why you probably shouldn't pay much attention to people who base their knowledge of things "from within" and their "faith".

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

see, this is why you probably shouldn't pay much attention to people who base their knowledge of things "from within" and their "faith".

Don't misquote me, thats the problem, you read something and don't understand it, even my simple reply to studiorat, when he was trying to imply I have a disability for having faith in God.

I never said my knowledge of things came from within, I said my faith comes from within, my knowledge comes from what I've learned and what I continue to learn.
    I don't have superpowers BTW.

uprising2 wrote: »
    Don't misquote me, thats the problem, you read something and don't understand it, even my simple reply to studiorat, when he was trying to imply I have a disability for having faith in God.

I never said my knowledge of things came from within, I said my faith comes from within, my knowledge comes from what I've learned and what I continue to learn.

oops, looks like i did take your quote out of context.
    I don't have superpowers BTW.

you're just delusional? got it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭digme

................................................................................

how likely do you think it is that there's magma adjacent to this huge oil and gas deposit?

So, it's just an oil spill, what gases do you think are being released into the athmosphere ???

So, it's just an oil spill, what gases do you think are being released into the athmosphere ???

benzene and all those other associated gases. of course it's ecological disaster, no doubt about that.

are you giving up on the magma, tsunami, end of the world stuff now?

• Advertisement

I'm delusional?, ok if you say so sir, you still havent moved any further on your wager, the one that you proposed a few posts back.

How small will this little mishap be?, share your projections, how will they stop the little leak, get a Dutch boy to stick his finger in it, give a rough timeframe till all is well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭espinolman

I'm delusional?, ok if you say so sir, you still havent moved any further on your wager, the one that you proposed a few posts back.

How small will this little mishap be?, share your projections, how will they stop the little leak, get a Dutch boy to stick his finger in it, give a rough timeframe till all is well.
    you seemed to take umbrage at me for not taking this post seriously, how much i this do you reckon is/will become true?

you never answered my earlier question about that.

Where exactly is this magma?

If there was magma there then why hasnt it ignited whats down there and exploded the whole well?

You think magma has never met oil before, deep down ?

Asshole.
    benzene and all those other associated gases. of course it's ecological disaster, no doubt about that.

No, both can co-exist deep down with lack of oxygen and + water, especially in great pressure.

maybe we should have a bet on how bad this is going to be? let's draw up terms, and the loser can't post in the ct forum anymore?

YEA STILL WAITING
    Yeah, great idea, you waste your talents here anyway and you look creepy in that pic, the sooner your banished the better AFAIC.

For starters it's already the worst in history, that milestone has been passed, so it's down to how many times worse it will become.

Will it be 100X or 1,000,000X or more?, maybe it's better you lay down the terms as your the poker player, for the record I'll say it will still be flowing freely this time next year.

Maybe its best if you state how "small" it will be, then when that passes you'll be gone forever from here.

STILL WAITING
    you seemed to take umbrage at me for not taking this post seriously, how much i this do you reckon is/will become true?

If that's what you meant by a questin you posted and I didn't answer, the same post where you quoted somebody else, well out of politeness I didn't say "WTF is that rubbish", read it and imagine being on the recieving end of that pile of sh1t that I'm still struggling to decrypt, do I need a special program installed to be able to translate it?, what does "how much i this do you reckon is/will become true?" and then try help the posters understand exactly who its aimed at, because I assumed it directed at garlicbread.

Ask it again in plain english, directed to me and I'll answer and you answer also and we'll take it from there.

You do realise as each day passes your plonker status will grow, don't you.

Asshole.

No, both can co-exist deep down with lack of oxygen and + water, especially in great pressure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭tommyhaas

Tsunami my arse, ffs the only chance of this spill causing the end of the world/tsunami/what ever it is your gona think of next is if the basic laws of physics are completly changed. As far as I know, BP/any other 'global energy giant' are unable to do this. Anyone with who knows anything about drilling/exploration will tell you the same

there's multiple wells off shore that are deeper than this.

oops, i apologise. i'm actually wrong here.

If that's what you meant by a questin you posted and I didn't answer, the same post where you quoted somebody else, well out of politeness I didn't say "WTF is that rubbish", read it and imagine being on the recieving end of that pile of sh1t that I'm still struggling to decrypt, do I need a special program installed to be able to translate it?, what does "how much i this do you reckon is/will become true?" and then try help the posters understand exactly who its aimed at, because I assumed it directed at garlicbread.

you were the one that took umbrage at my reply to that post. and this was after the talk about the bet so i thought it was clear what i was talking about there. i wanna bet on the magma/tsunami stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Infractions have been handed out. If you can't discuss this like adults then don't post here!

you were the one that took umbrage at my reply to that post. and this was after the talk about the bet so i thought it was clear what i was talking about there. i wanna bet on the magma/tsunami stuff

Well I never mentioned magma or tsunami stuff, so no bets here about that, the worse I can come up with is millions upon millions of gallons of crude and all the nasty crap thats part of it getting into the ocean and destroying all life it touches.

But having said that, we don't know what will happen yet, and its not just an oil spill, well it is an oil spill with lots and lots of pressure behind it, 60 days in and no solution in sight, I'm just relaying the seriousness of it, while you and others treat it as nothing really.

• Advertisement

I never mentioned anything about the end of the world, I said the tsunami/magma situation was simply a possibility.

Asshole.

ok, I apologize for that, twas out of order.

this is completely wrong btw.

Really ?
    oops, i apologise. i'm actually wrong here.

Oh guess not.

Talkie 1 - Pokerface 0

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭Zombienosh

AlcoholicA wrote: »

c'mon. that's just some oul one talking through her hat. missing/deleted emails, yeah, sure, love.

I've lost track of what your actually trying to discuss?

digme wrote: »

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Some info about a possible tsunami scenario
    http://www.projectavalon.net/lang/en/whats_new.html

hug__by_Defies.jpg

digme wrote: »

He's not trying to discuss anything, just blabbebring on about things he knows nothing about, just be greatful your not him, because he plays texas holdem he thinks he's an oil man.

GC45.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

uprising2 banned for a week.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Im mostly a lurker here, but have been following this thread as its interesting & current. Flicking through the news channels last night as sky decided it was more important to cover Danny Boyles new job, and I came across a lad on Fox called Glenn Beck.

A lot of you will prob know him, maybe you dont - Ive no idea how popular he is/isnt or how he is viewed - maybe he's a known loon, but I had never heard of him until last night. I wasnt sure what I was watching at first, but when he was openly critical of both left and right wing american politics he got my attention. He was basically saying that left wing governments (Obama) & right wing governments (Bush) want the same thing. Left wants world control through the UN, right wants more or less a total US influence.

Bush proclaimed a "War On Terror" after a catastrophe. He rallied people & support in the days/months after the tragedy, and garnered a lot of support which allowed him to pass various acts/orders which ordinarily would NEVER have been allowed (Patriot Act etc). Boyle said all was well, the people were under the illusion of the new "protection", until Bush hit his second term. People more or less realised they were being intruded on, but the US North & South borders were being openly neglected, people realised the new acts were not about security at all.

Obama has now declared a "War On Clmate Change". Apparently, Obama is using the current catastrophe to declare a war against an oil based US economy. Beck is saying that although the event does seem a genuine accident, Obamas apparent poor response to it is NOT an accident, nor political inability. What you will notice is more and more Americans getting angry & demanding the President take action. Obama is apparently going to push his "Green" acts through now that the citizens are demanding action. Beck named these acts last night but they have slipped my mind. But he did say that these acts normally would not stand a chance of being passed. Obama wants the US free of its oil dependancy, but apparently no idea how unrealistic this is. Its a personal act, touted as the future.

This woke me up about politicians using crises events to manipulate people into accepting "action", and how people are so easily blinded by the need to see their leaders doing something.

Beck went on to describe Obamas new 6 month moratorium on oceanic oil drilling in US waters. Apparently, those rigs are not going to sit around idling, waiting for the moratorium to be lifted. They will be leased to other nations/companies and spend God knows how long drilling elsewhere. This will apparently hit the US hard, jobs/investment wise. I do think their is a conspiracy here, but it is not the North Korean/End of Days type conspiracy. Beck demonstrated with a calender, a group called CAP (Center for American Progress) apparently advising the White House about certain actions that should be taken, and days later - the action being taken. This happened on numerous occasions. One of CAPs funders is billionaire George Soros, and widely believed to be a mamber. So you have a fairly left wing man with a semmingly hot line to White House policy & an unlimited bank account.

It was CAPs recommendation about the 6 month moratorium, so why would Soros have any interest in US coastal drilling? After all he is a left wing liberalist. Well Beck states that the unused oil rigs will now move south (Brazil), where apparently the Brazillian state owned oil company Petrobras has pledged to go deeper/farther than even the Horizon site. It then turns out, that Soros has huge stakes in Petrobras - a company which is now set to recieve all the unused oil rigs & make an absoloute fortune. It also turns out the Obama administration, has confirmed a 2 Billion dollar loan to Petrobras recently....:confused:

Sorry for the long winded posts, and maybe Beck is a loon I simply dont know yet. But he spoke clearly, showed all the facts (interviews etc), and wasnt pushy about what he was trying to say. He obviously explained it far better than I have above. Its not on the tube yet that I can see, but it certainly educated me somewhat. Why would Obama halt coastal/oceanic oil production for 6 months, knowing the rigs wouldnt sit around waiting? Is it because of CAP (Soros' interests in Brazillian oil production)? All those jobs are gonna go now, now isnt the time to be thinking Green. Whats the 2 Billion dollar loan to Petrobras all about? Thats the conspiracy, because lets face it although a ocean floor collapsing/tsunami scenario would be terrible - the world we live in is just NOT that interesting.

Advertisement