Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How big is the Deepwater Horizon oil spill?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Hi uprising2
    I probably should have put a link to where i originally read that article, it was on project avalon. If you read Bill Ryan's Blog, he has put that article and all updates from the OP of that article in one pdf so it saves having to wade through all the other replies. I'm having problems logging on to avalon at the moment. If you can log on you might put a link to that pdf?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 270 ✭✭GarlicBread

No Tuna :eek:!?

I shutter to think of a world without tuna. A cold barren place with nothing but salmon and crude oil to mix with our salads, where the only remembrance will be the historical record of a once legendary fish, passed on from parent to child in tales of a golden era of brine and sunflower oil long gone by......

Lets hope it dosent come to this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭uprising2

Heres the PDF macshadow
    http://projectavalon.net/The_BP_Deepwater_Horizon_Macondo_Well_Blowout_and_what_we_are_facing_in_the_Gulf.pdf

This worst case scenario was independently described by Senator Bill Nelson (Democrat, Florida) in this 7 June interview with MSNBC:

There are volatile organic compounds (hydrogen sulfide, benzene and methylene chloride) being released in quantities many hundreds times the levels accepted as safe. In the case of benzene, which is a highly toxic carcinogen, safe levels are considered to be 0-4 ppb (parts per billion). The levels being released have been measured by the EPA at over 3,000 ppb.

Click here for a 56 minute edited version of his interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭macshadow

Thanks uprising2. The author of that article certainly takes no prisoners but that's how it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

digme wrote:
    I was reading that it is supposedly 5 times larger than what they are letting on.
    Yes its MUCH BIGGER! (MSM is trying to keep people in the dark (NOT SURPRISINGLY))

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

It has been estimated by experts that the pressure which blows the oil into the Gulf waters is estimated to be between 20,000 and 70,000 PSI (pounds per square inch). Impossible to control.

What you are about to read, is what the scientists in the United States are not allowed to tell you in great fear of the Obama administration.

They are under the threat of severe repercussions to the max.. Scientists confirming these findings cannot be named due to the above, but what they believe, they want to be known by all.

Take a U. S. map, lay it flat and measure inland just the minimum 50 miles of total destruction all around the Gulf of Mexico as to what you will read below.

The carnage to the United States is so staggering, it will take your breathe away.

Should what the scientists who are trying to warn everyone about be even close to being true... all of Florida will be completely destroyed as will everyone and everything on it.

You decide!! Everyone has the right to read what I have just written in this article, as well as to what is written below by the scientists who the Obama administration and BP are trying to shut up.

Please share with as many as you can.

--Dr. James P. Wickstrom

oilslickLN-blogSpan.jpg

Summary of What is Happening

The estimated super high pressure release of oil from under the earth's crust is between 80,000 to 100,000 barrels per day.

The flow of oil and toxic gases is bringing up with it... rocks and sand which causes the flow to create a sandblasting effect on the remaining well head device currently somewhat restricting the flow, as well as the drilled hole itself.

As the well head becomes worn it enlarges the passageway allowing an ever-increasing flow. Even if some device could be placed onto the existing wellhead, it would not be able to shut off the flow, because what remains of the existing wellhead would not be able to contain the pressure.

The well head piping is originally about 2 inches thick. It is now likely to be less than 1 inch thick, and thinning by each passing moment. The oil has now reached the Gulf Stream and is entering the Oceanic current which is at least four times stronger than the current in the Gulf, which will carry it throughout the world within 18 months.

The oil along with the gasses, including benzene and many other toxins, is deleting the oxygen in the water. This is killing all life in the ocean. Along with the oil along the shores, there will be many dead fish, etc. that will have to be gathered and disposed of.

Summary of Expectations

At some point the drilled hole in the earth will enlarge itself beneath the wellhead to weaken the area the wellhead rests upon. The intense pressure will then push the wellhead off the hole allowing a direct unrestricted flow of oil, etc.

The hole will continue to increase in size allowing more and more oil to rise into the Gulf. After several billion barrels of oil have been released, the pressure within the massive cavity five miles beneath the ocean floor will begin to normalize.

This will allow the water, under the intense pressure at 1 mile deep, to be forced into the hole and the cavity where the oil was. The temperature at that depth is near 400 degrees, possibly more.

The water will be vaporized and turned into steam, creating an enormous amount of force, lifting the Gulf floor. It is difficult to know how much water will go down to the core and therefore, its not possible to fully calculate the rise of the floor.

The tsunami wave this will create will be anywhere from 20 to 80 feet high, possibly more. Then the floor will fall into the now vacant chamber. This is how nature will seal the hole.

Depending on the height of the tsunami, the ocean debris, oil, and existing structures that will be washed away on shore and inland, will leave the area from 50 to 200 miles inland devoid of life. Even if the debris is cleaned up, the contaminants that will be in the ground and water supply will prohibit re-population of these areas for an unknown number of years.

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=19730

• Closed Accounts Posts: 240 ✭✭patrickk

well done TalkieWalkie the link was pulled off net in last 2 or 3 hours at least you copied text off site before it was pulled good man.
    Take a bow buddy.

It has been estimated by experts that the pressure which blows the oil into the Gulf waters is estimated to be between 20,000 and 70,000 PSI (pounds per square inch). Impossible to control.

What you are about to read, is what the scientists in the United States are not allowed to tell you in great fear of the Obama administration.

They are under the threat of severe repercussions to the max.. Scientists confirming these findings cannot be named due to the above, but what they believe, they want to be known by all.

Take a U. S. map, lay it flat and measure inland just the minimum 50 miles of total destruction all around the Gulf of Mexico as to what you will read below.

The carnage to the United States is so staggering, it will take your breathe away.

Should what the scientists who are trying to warn everyone about be even close to being true... all of Florida will be completely destroyed as will everyone and everything on it.

You decide!! Everyone has the right to read what I have just written in this article, as well as to what is written below by the scientists who the Obama administration and BP are trying to shut up.

Please share with as many as you can.

--Dr. James P. Wickstrom

oilslickLN-blogSpan.jpg

Summary of What is Happening

The estimated super high pressure release of oil from under the earth's crust is between 80,000 to 100,000 barrels per day.

The flow of oil and toxic gases is bringing up with it... rocks and sand which causes the flow to create a sandblasting effect on the remaining well head device currently somewhat restricting the flow, as well as the drilled hole itself.

As the well head becomes worn it enlarges the passageway allowing an ever-increasing flow. Even if some device could be placed onto the existing wellhead, it would not be able to shut off the flow, because what remains of the existing wellhead would not be able to contain the pressure.

The well head piping is originally about 2 inches thick. It is now likely to be less than 1 inch thick, and thinning by each passing moment. The oil has now reached the Gulf Stream and is entering the Oceanic current which is at least four times stronger than the current in the Gulf, which will carry it throughout the world within 18 months.

The oil along with the gasses, including benzene and many other toxins, is deleting the oxygen in the water. This is killing all life in the ocean. Along with the oil along the shores, there will be many dead fish, etc. that will have to be gathered and disposed of.

Summary of Expectations

At some point the drilled hole in the earth will enlarge itself beneath the wellhead to weaken the area the wellhead rests upon. The intense pressure will then push the wellhead off the hole allowing a direct unrestricted flow of oil, etc.

The hole will continue to increase in size allowing more and more oil to rise into the Gulf. After several billion barrels of oil have been released, the pressure within the massive cavity five miles beneath the ocean floor will begin to normalize.

This will allow the water, under the intense pressure at 1 mile deep, to be forced into the hole and the cavity where the oil was. The temperature at that depth is near 400 degrees, possibly more.

The water will be vaporized and turned into steam, creating an enormous amount of force, lifting the Gulf floor. It is difficult to know how much water will go down to the core and therefore, its not possible to fully calculate the rise of the floor.

The tsunami wave this will create will be anywhere from 20 to 80 feet high, possibly more. Then the floor will fall into the now vacant chamber. This is how nature will seal the hole.

Depending on the height of the tsunami, the ocean debris, oil, and existing structures that will be washed away on shore and inland, will leave the area from 50 to 200 miles inland devoid of life. Even if the debris is cleaned up, the contaminants that will be in the ground and water supply will prohibit re-population of these areas for an unknown number of years.

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=va&aid=19730

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,408 ✭✭✭studiorat

between 17,000 and 20,000?

It would have gone up long before that, at the most it's 7000psi right now and the can't hold it.

So everyone has decided to "spread the word" of a rabid nazi.

Nice one lads:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

Well i dont remember saying it was true myself lol
    I appreciate all news.Most news has an agenda behind it anyway.

studiorat wrote: »
    between 17,000 and 20,000?

It would have gone up long before that, at the most it's 7000psi right now and the can't hold it.

So everyone has decided to "spread the word" of a rabid nazi.

Nice one lads:rolleyes:

Enlighten us all with the truth ohh great wise one, and the pressure is said to be 70,000 psi or possibly more, but that's non verifiable because nobody is allowed measure the flow.

Whatever info you have please post it here.

• Advertisement

uprising2 wrote: »
    Enlighten us all with the truth ohh great wise one, and the pressure is said to be 70,000 psi or possibly more, but that's non verifiable because nobody is allowed measure the flow.

Whatever info you have please post it here.

Well since you asked so nicely.

Quotes around the net from various pundits say around 4,000 to 5,000 psi inside pushing out. One engineer with 25 years experience reckons it could be around 15,000, the limit the pipe can take apparently. The average pressure of an oil well is 1,500. I guestimate a little above just for safety tolerances. :)

4 inch plate steel has yield strength of 42,000 psi. Yet the Dr. there reckons it's at 70,000, and some commentators on the delightfully named "Fcuk France.com" too.

He's so far off the beam compaired to people who actually have some experience. My loon detector tells me this figure is some thing he perhaps exegeted from the good book!

I'd say it's more of a question of nobody being able to measure is instead of being allowed to.

As you were plebs...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭WakeUp

As you were plebs...

That's a good oneicon12.gif does this mean your royalty then? How big is your throne can it safely seat you with the weight of your nose?:)

WakeUp wrote: »
    That's a good oneicon12.gif does this mean your royalty then? How big is your throne can it safely seat you with the weight of your nose?:)

Uprising seems to think so ;o) my nose is not so big as sensitive. we're talking about a fella who's probably going to tell you that evolution is a conspiracy by satan and his scientist minions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

As you were plebs...

web chicken insult , nice one .
    how intelligent .

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

lol @ this thread. it's an oil spill, it's not going to cause a tsunami or the end of the world. calm down folks.

lol @ this thread. it's an oil spill, it's not going to cause a tsunami or the end of the world. calm down folks.

Keep+Calm+and+Carry+On+%28red%29.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

You apparently have no idea how bad it is do you my friend?? (Your listening to MSM which is not telling you hardily anything)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 266 ✭✭bytey

you think that buts its very likely you are wrong .

bytey wrote: »
    you think that buts its very likely you are wrong .

I'd bet a ONE MILLION DOLLARS it's not the end of the world.

LOL :D

• Advertisement

Well since you asked so nicely.

Quotes around the net from various pundits say around 4,000 to 5,000 psi inside pushing out. One engineer with 25 years experience reckons it could be around 15,000, the limit the pipe can take apparently. The average pressure of an oil well is 1,500. I guestimate a little above just for safety tolerances. :)

4 inch plate steel has yield strength of 42,000 psi. Yet the Dr. there reckons it's at 70,000, and some commentators on the delightfully named "Fcuk France.com" too.

He's so far off the beam compaired to people who actually have some experience. My loon detector tells me this figure is some thing he perhaps exegeted from the good book!

I'd say it's more of a question of nobody being able to measure is instead of being allowed to.

As you were plebs...

I had a fukkin essay reply for this post lastnight, but when I logged in I didn't click the "remember me" option, then I tried to post and it vanished into the cyber blackhole.
    But long story short studiorat, your wrong, you don't realise how bad this really is, it's BAD, really bad, say what you want about my personal beliefs, I couldn't give 2 fukks what you or anybody think of me, here or in real life.
    Uprising seems to think so ;o) my nose is not so big as sensitive. we're talking about a fella who's probably going to tell you that evolution is a conspiracy by satan and his scientist minions.

You know nothing of me, I grew up the the most violent/crime ridden 2 square mile area of this country, most of my friends growing up now fill various books and paper articles, I believe what I believe, I have experienced what I consider Divine intervention a few times (don't ask!), so what I believe doesn't come from reading any books or youtube video's, it comes from within and without, you have no faith, that's you.
    I believe all religion is bolllox, manipulated by power hungry swines all through history, but the truth will be revealed, but thats just me

uprising2 wrote: »
    I have experienced what I consider Divine intervention a few times (don't ask!), so what I believe doesn't come from reading any books or youtube video's, it comes from within and without, you have no faith, that's you.

That explains a lot

Dude111 wrote: »
    You apparently have no idea how bad it is do you my friend?? (Your listening to MSM which is not telling you hardily anything)

And you sir are listening to scaremongering nonsense.

That explains a lot

Yes it does, thanks uprising2. Thats how my beliefs come about two :D
    And you sir are listening to scaremongering nonsense.

And all you listen to is the noise of poker chips chinging together :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭fontanalis

Not the end of the world, unfortunately it is disaster for a lot of people in the region.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

If the void left behind where the oil once was collapses it could very possibly cause a tsunami. How can you say for sure that it won't happen? That's just the same as those claiming it will happen for certain

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

If the void left behind where the oil once was collapses it could very possibly cause a tsunami. How can you say for sure that it won't happen? That's just the same as those claiming it will happen for certain

Because they would pump sea water in just like any other oil well.

Because they would pump sea water in just like any other oil well.

The spill is 5000 feet deep. When the pressure from the oil subsides, they won't need to pump water in, it will rush in with great force due to the weight of the water.

They have never drilled so deep before for oil. The concern is that there is magma down there which will turn the water to steam thus expanding it, lifting the sea floor and causing the tsunami.

It's silly to bitch about weather it will happen or not. It is a possibility.
    Let's not loose sight of the fact that these money hungry greedy f*cking animals are destroying out planet. It's pointless to argue about how much or how fast they are destroying it. It is a concern for us all.

how likely do you think it is that there's magma adjacent to this huge oil and gas deposit?

• Advertisement

They have never drilled so deep before for oil.

this is completely wrong btw.

Advertisement