Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit and Run

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭Chippy01

I did something very stupid last week.

I'd never hit a car before and I was so shocked that I drove on, pulled in on the side of the road and tried to decide what to do. I was too scared to go back. I know it's no excuse but iIm fairly young and I was just terrified of what I'd just done.

I'm so worried now I am shaking. does anyone know what the maximum is I could get for a hit and run, is it a fine or jail? I can't find the info anywhere. I just feel so scared, I've never been in trouble before.

Hmmm, the first thing anyone 'normally' does after hitting something in their car is to stop, get out and check their own vehicle's damage.
    The fact that you didn't even do that makes me wonder if you are a fully licensed driver, or a provisional driver without the mandatory fully licensed passenger?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

SARASON wrote: »
    :I do feel sorry for this op as she seems to be genuine whilst the people that hit you were only scumbags.

While i wouldnt bundle the OP in with scumbags, i wouldnt exactly call her genuine.. Drove into another car damaging it. drove off without the honesty or decency to admit to it.. Sat at home hoping it would go away.. Then come on a message board to "clear her conscience"...

I personally would be well pissed.. I reversed into a neighbors car early one morning.. i checked and i had dented the door quite badly.. no paint transfer could have drove off and said nothing but i didnt..

The girl that reversed into Joe Duffy didnt get off so easy.. iirc...

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I'd never hit a car before and I was so shocked that I drove on, pulled in on the side of the road and tried to decide what to do.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055901816

Sorry, couldn't help myself.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Grow up OP. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

Anan1 wrote: »
    Zulu wrote: »
    Grow up OP. :rolleyes:

What just happened? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

So much for "panicked because I never hit a car before".
    What just happened?

Second time the OP's hit a car, only this time she was hoping she'd get away with it without anyone seeing. Fingers crossed she gets done for driving without a license (I'm guessing from the ineptitude) as well as leaving the scene of an accident and her Ladystar insurance premiums go up.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

So it looks like the op crashed twice in the space of two weeks??

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to drive..

What just happened? :confused:
    The OP was caught either a) trolling or b) being devoid of responsibility.

Neither one is cool to anyone over the age of of 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I'm not, I think it's quite possible that they will want the OP charged. Were it not for the Gardaí they'd never have seen their money back.

I have to go along with this tbh. While the OP seems to be genuinely sorry and keen to make amends, the owner of the jeep does not know this, and if it was me and some little toerag hit the side of my car and drove off (which has happened to me more than once) Id want them prosecuted as fully as possible.

Im sorry OP, I dont want to drill in the point and it does sound like you have learned your lesson, but you are at the mercy of the jeep driver as to what happens next. You wont go to jail or anything like that, but they could choose to persue it further. I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

Redisle wrote: »
    So it looks like the op crashed twice in the space of two weeks??

Some people really shouldn't be allowed to drive..

The two crashes were in very close proximity last week by my reading of events.

In one case the Cab Driver was fortunate enough to collar her before she made her getaway and in the other she felt scared cause she knew she would be caught and thankfully was.

Most People that are trying to get away with stuff are scared of being caught OP.

- At an educated guess from the sig I'd say one of the biggest fears was having to open her wallet to pay up for her Bumper-car hobbies.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Maybe it's the same car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Gooseygoosey

Oh my goodness....I have never seen Boards people so nice and considerate to a person in this type of situation....normally there would be wielding of pitchforks and baying for blood.
    Now please bear in mind that I am a woman saying this and I think that everybody was so nice as they read her name, saw she was a woman and the "sure God love her" attitude was taken. It's a bit like the Gay Byrne talking to Sinead O'Connor all those years ago on the Late Late Show. She crashed into somebody's car, damaged it to the point the owner had to go to the Guards, and only owned up to it when confronted. When you drive you take on certain responsibilities including owning up should you damage some one else's property. This is not a flutter your eyelashes to escape situation. Pony up girlie, pay the owner of the car and the next time you crash into another ( as you will no doubt do as it seems you have form) don't run away like a twit. It's this type of behaviour that drives up insurance costs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Topper Harley

t's this type of behaviour that drives up insurance costs.

Yeah, for men. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 73,401 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

surely the claim will be higher now that his own car will be being repaired too. isn't this what drives up insurance costs?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,764 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

On one hand I can see why the OP did what they did, a state of panic set in and they reacted.. However I wonder if the current feelings are because they were caught or are they genuinely remorseful??

I saw this happen a number of years ago when I was in college. I was sitting outside as it was a nice day, a young guy gets into his car, reverses back way too fast, hits a car behind him and drives the door in about 3 inches or more..

Gets out, looks at the damage, looks around (didnt see me) and took off!!

So I got his number plate and reported him immediately to the security in the building, also left a note on the owners car which had been damaged with my contact details explaining what happened..

The owner contacted me that evening, we had a chat, he contacted the guy who did the damage and who initially denied it, but when the Gardai and a witness were mentioned, he immediately changed his story and admitted everything and it was all settled without insurance coming into it..

I got a few pints out of it and a nice big thank you.. :D

I have hit a car myself too when I was younger, nothing more than a mild scrape that wasn't too expensive, but I left my details and made sure that I sorted that person out, even dropped in a bottle of wine after all had been sorted to apologise.

But the fact that the OP knew she did the damage meant that they deliberately left and even after a few days didnt bother contacting the owner of the damaged vehicle or owning up to it is pretty bad form and I do hope something is done about it, whether it be a few points on the license or a fine in court.. if nothing more, it will be a reminder of them to be careful and more responsible in the future.

OP, everyone makes mistakes, its how you handle yourself and the situation that will determine how you will be judged, if you stand up and admit it, make amends and good the damage then you wont be judged too badly and probably gain a bit of respect out of it.

The second biggest investment most people make in their lives is in their cars, so seeing a car that people spend a big chunk of their income on, damaged by some individual who then drives off without even having the decency to admit to it, is when you can get yourself into trouble as just happened here. The person who owned that car was obviously p*ssed off enough to get CCTV of the incident and get the Gardai involved.

Tox

• Registered Users Posts: 528 ✭✭✭dirtydiesel

Oh my goodness....I have never seen Boards people so nice and considerate to a person in this type of situation....normally there would be wielding of pitchforks and baying for blood.
    Now please bear in mind that I am a woman saying this and I think that everybody was so nice as they read her name, saw she was a woman and the "sure God love her" attitude was taken. It's a bit like the Gay Byrne talking to Sinead O'Connor all those years ago on the Late Late Show. She crashed into somebody's car, damaged it to the point the owner had to go to the Guards, and only owned up to it when confronted. When you drive you take on certain responsibilities including owning up should you damage some one else's property. This is not a flutter your eyelashes to escape situation. Pony up girlie, pay the owner of the car and the next time you crash into another ( as you will no doubt do as it seems you have form) don't run away like a twit. It's this type of behaviour that drives up insurance costs.
    She is young and knows she was wrong. We all make mistakes so no need to be hard on her, see we can be nice sometimes!!!!
    Yeah, for men. :p
    :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

corktina wrote: »
    fine for failing to report an accident/remain at the scene and posibly some points.

I'd flip the lid altogether if someone hit my car and even stayed around to tell me but this is ridiculous.

Failing to remain at the scene of an accident is where you are on the road and you have an accident with another vehicle and or a person, hitting a car in a carpark does not fall under this section of road traffic offences.

I won't even mention your penalty points bit :rolleyes:

OP - I'm bloody glad the guards caught you but hope you don't get into too much trouble :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

OP how could you have done this, the morality!!

You have to be honest when there is CCTV present

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

hey I called for her head :P

you're right though, if she was a young he in a Civic, it would be a different story!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Absurdum wrote: »
    you're right though, if she was a young he in a Civic, it would be a different story!
    Not for me, I think it's a really sh1tty thing to do either way. She had a whole week to own up, and did nothing until a Garda knocked on her door.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

I'm not trolling, I wish, I did actually hit the two cars on the same day...very expensive weekend for me. I just passed my test the week before, and it was the first day I'd done a long trip in the car.
    I agree, Obviously I'm not fit to be on the roads yet. I've always been a nervy driver, I am scared of everything. Maybe some people aren't meant to drive - you are right. It doesn't come naturally to me at all. To be honest I'm afraid to get back in the car now anyway.

So the guard rang and they are looking at prosecuting me for leaving the scene of the accident. Wish I had never got in the car that weekend, and wish I'd done a million things differently. But I've learnt my lesson.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Find that hard to believe. There was no 'accident'. If anything, wouldn't it be something like damage to someone elses property?

If these were considered 'accidents', then everyone that dings your door in a carpark without notifying you is 'leaving a scene of an accident' and can be prosecuted?

I would agree that the OP could get done for not reporting this and now being caught, but it couldn't be for 'leaving the scene of an accident'.

I agree with MarkN on this one.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭midlandsmissus

Vertakill wrote: »
    Find that hard to believe. There was no 'accident'. If anything, wouldn't it be something like damage to someone elses property?

If these were considered 'accidents', then everyone that dings your door in a carpark without notifying you is 'leaving a scene of an accident' and can be prosecuted?

It's not even a public road for god sake.

The garda said to me on the phone, and I quote, 'There's a question now you could be prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident, we haven't decided yet", so I don't know if I definitely am being yet.

She was a very tough woman and ate the head off me (which I deserve),
    She also said 'I could have done you for dangerous driving but I'm not', but then she said there was minimal damage to the jeep.
    I don't know - I've to wait for her to call me again. Can't wait till I just finally know what is going to happen! The worrying is the worst bit...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Sounds like scare tactics to me.

How the hell can you get done for dangerous driving by bumping into a parked car whilst on a non-public road with only yourself involved?
    (Not having a go here - just can't believe a Garda would say something like that)

You'd want to be the most unlucky person in the world to get done for BOTH leaving the scene and dangerous driving for tipping into a parked car.

Our prisons would be overflowing with soccer moms if that were common practice...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I'm with Vertakill and MarkN on this one.
    I've had it happen to me, no CCTV though.

2 weeks after I got the car too...

I'll be disgusted if you don't get something in addition to having to pay for repairs...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

fair play to the op,
    coming onto a motors forum and admitting to crashing into 2 cars on the same day and doing a runner takes balls:D,

i dont think this is even a matter for the gardai tbh,once the op pays for the damage that should be it, there is not a hope in hell it could be dangerous driving,
    dangerous driving is driving at 140km/h in a 100km/h zone while racing another car and weaving between lanes around traffic, (true story from court:eek:)

note: i may have a different opinion because my car isnt exactly worth a lot,someone did hit it before and drive off but it was only a small mark,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

bladebrew wrote:
    I dont think this is even a matter for the gardai tbh

Thats plain crazy IMO

Why would someone wait around when they have a tip if the worse case scenario is they have to pay for it? You may as well take a chance and hope they don't catch you.

The OP in a moment of madness acted like a scumbag.

Now the OP is not a scumbag but in this situation I think the Gardaí should treat her like one, if they didn't come knocking on her door she never would have done anything about it.

She said it was a new jeep and didn't even know how badly she damaged it, could easily be a few hundred euro.

Without trying to sound condescending, I hope ya get nailed hard, OP.

Crashing into a car and then ignoring it for a week (if the Garda hadn't came to the door, there's no way you'd have owned up).

Plus, lying on, of all places, an internet forum about it is just silly. I hope you weren't planning to use this thread as a back up to show the Gardaì how genuinely sorry you are :pac:

All too often people break into others houses, damage cars, steal wallets, etc. and never get caught. Big thumbs up to An Garda Sìochàna for getting to you I say.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Vertakill wrote: »

I would agree that the OP could get done for not reporting this and now being caught, but it couldn't be for 'leaving the scene of an accident'.

Of course it was a traffic accident, doesnt matter whether there was someone in the car or not, she hit into another vehicle causing damage, then ran in the hope she wouldnt get caught. Thats leaving the scene of an accident in the eyes of the law, even if it is a minor one.

Theyll have a hard job trying to persue the dangerous driving bit tho, unless they can prove you were racing around the car park Tokyo Drift style which was what caused the accident to occur. That was most likely the guard trying to scare you.

• Advertisement

Lets recap.
    Lie in 1st post.
    OP caught bull****ting through her teeth in an attempt to drum up sympathy.
    OP admits hit & run.
    OP trys to avoid responsibility.

Sympathy = 0.

Advertisement