Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hit and Run

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,673 ✭✭✭bladebrew

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Thats plain crazy IMO

Why would someone wait around when they have a tip if the worse case scenario is they have to pay for it? You may as well take a chance and hope they don't catch you.

The OP in a moment of madness acted like a scumbag.

Now the OP is not a scumbag but in this situation I think the Gardaí should treat her like one, if they didn't come knocking on her door she never would have done anything about it.

well i think the gardai should get involved up to a point,i suppose it depends on the damage done,
    if only the gardai can access cctv in a shop etc, than obviously they should be involved,but to say the op may be charged with dangerous driving is nuts,the judge would tell her to stop wasting his time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

djimi wrote: »
    Of course it was a traffic accident, doesnt matter whether there was someone in the car or not, she hit into another vehicle causing damage, then ran in the hope she wouldnt get caught. Thats leaving the scene of an accident in the eyes of the law, even if it is a minor one.

Theyll have a hard job trying to persue the dangerous driving bit tho, unless they can prove you were racing around the car park Tokyo Drift style which was what caused the accident to occur. That was most likely the guard trying to scare you.

My last couple posts were coated with a little bit of sympathy because I didn't actually read the posts of this thread where the OTHER accident was mentioned and I'm actually shocked. Absolutely no sympathy now.

Hopefully a member of the AGS can clear it up.
    I assumed that, since this isn't on a public road and the only person involved in the incident was the OP, that this wasn't a traffic accident but more like damaging someone's property.

Sounds like the OP may have gone through her insurance with the last incident and didn't want to have to claim off it again so tried to get away with it and only realised later on that the area was littered with CCTV and now just wants to know the consequences of a hit and run.

OP, 2 things.
      Go get some driving lessons. Maybe do an advanced driving course. You've mentioned your fear of driving already and you clearly pose a risk to yourself and other people on the road. It'd save you money in the long run if you keep getting into these kinds of accidents.
      Take a couple minutes to think about the poor fecker who dished out their hard earned money for that brand new jeep, who had the horror of coming out to find it with a load of damage on it. Then having to contact the CCTV operators and the Gardai and so on... that's a lot of stress you've just put that person under so you deserve at LEAST that much stress + a hell of a lot more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭Raiser

How did She pass the Test?

- Outsourcing strikes again......

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭sesna

OP has lost all credibility in her lie. I wonder how many other cars she has hit in the past few months, with no CCTV or driver occupancy of the other car.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

Vertakill wrote: »
    My last couple posts were coated with a little bit of sympathy because I didn't actually read the posts of this thread where the OTHER accident was mentioned and I'm actually shocked. Absolutely no sympathy now.

Hopefully a member of the AGS can clear it up.
    I assumed that, since this isn't on a public road and the only person involved in the incident was the OP, that this wasn't a traffic accident but more like damaging someone's property.

Sounds like the OP may have gone through her insurance with the last incident and didn't want to have to claim off it again so tried to get away with it and only realised later on that the area was littered with CCTV and now just wants to know the consequences of a hit and run.

OP, 2 things.
    • Go get some driving lessons. Maybe do an advanced driving course. You've mentioned your fear of driving already and you clearly pose a risk to yourself and other people on the road. It'd save you money in the long run if you keep getting into these kinds of accidents.
    • Take a couple minutes to think about the poor fecker who dished out their hard earned money for that brand new jeep, who had the horror of coming out to find it with a load of damage on it. Then having to contact the CCTV operators and the Gardai and so on... that's a lot of stress you've just put that person under so you deserve at LEAST that much stress + a hell of a lot more.

In relation to duties on occurrence of an accident, it isn't stated as a "public road" in the rta, rather it is stated as a "public place": any street, road or other place to which the public have access with vehicles whether as of right or by permission and whether subject to or free of charge.

A lot of conflict has occurred over that definition through the years btw. There was a case AFAIK of a journalist who was hit by a negligent driver without insurance on a private lane leading to a hotel. It was ruled that the lane was not a "public place" so there was no prosecution for the uninsured driver and while the negligence was never in question, the MIBI refused to deal with the injured party because the negligent driver was not required to hold a valid insurance policy at the time; as it was not a public place.

But back on topic, the OP should of given her particulars at the time of the accident; as you are required to do this by law in any case. I would say it is unlikely the guards will bring a prosecution though. ; hopefully you have already contacted you're own insurance company!

A bit of perspective is needed as well: it is not as if she got blind drunk and killed someone. I hope you will have learned a tough lesson.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,162 ✭✭✭MarkN

The garda said to me on the phone, and I quote, 'There's a question now you could be prosecuted for leaving the scene of an accident, we haven't decided yet", so I don't know if I definitely am being yet.

She was a very tough woman and ate the head off me (which I deserve),
    She also said 'I could have done you for dangerous driving but I'm not', but then she said there was minimal damage to the jeep.
    I don't know - I've to wait for her to call me again. Can't wait till I just finally know what is going to happen! The worrying is the worst bit...

Look, a lot (not all but a lot) of guards are on serious power trips. I had one tell me last year he was doing me for dangerous driving when all I did was drive quickly in a straight line, that is not dangerous driving. A lot of them try scare you and some are ignorant of the rules of the road that they're policing.

Another only 4 weeks ago a detective told me we could find out what a judge thinks when I was innocently driving along and because it was late and my car is a bit of a stand out car I was followed for a few seconds and my tax disc was out by 14 days when there isn't a hope in hell a judge would give a fiddlers about my tax particularly with the excuse I had.

Point is, guards love the scare tactics, pay up the damage you caused and that'll be the end of it, if you give up on driving now you'll never get your confidence back, presumably you passed your test for a reason.

" we haven't decided yet"... "I could do you"... All empty threats, the language says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,338 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Raiser wrote: »
    How did She pass the Test?

- Outsourcing strikes again......

The answer is in bold.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

fullstop wrote: »
    The answer is in bold.
    Take the sexism elsewhere, thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭gigabit

Someone reversed into my wifes year old fiesta car and left without any details. No witness saw it and CCTV misses the bang. It looked like a jeep wheel (rear door) hit it. The metal of the boot was buckled in but the paint wasn't cracked. The repair garages said if the dent was knocked out the paint may crack so we left it alone.

DIRECT TO OP

The rapair bill was 500 quid (not done), and my wifes shiny new car looked sh1t from behind, and it still does does because some selfish driver like you drove off and didn't give us a 2nd thought.

I am glad you were caught on cctv, you should be charged because you tried to get away with it.

Advertisement