Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do Irish people not protest?

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭simonj

Fuhrer wrote: »
    Sure, why not do all those things.

But also the other ones.

In fairness, throwing round asinine statements about African dictatorships and Vague inconsequential remarks about "doing something" not only make you seem reactionary, they make you seem stupid.

And in fairness, if you bothered to read State of Africa, then yould see there are correlations between corruption in post Anglo colonies, and here - as for being a bit stupid, perhaps, but at least some of us tried to suggest some answers to the question rather than going around insulting other posters in a pointless manner.

Doing something means getting involved, either in protest or trying to develop an alternative to the current way things are being run

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

dogbert27 wrote: »
    Yeah but prinz he's only saying that out of sheer intuition. Where are his links? WHERE ARE HIS LINKS???!!! :P

Ah yes, the objective chorus...

What is amazing is that you use the Greek corruption & tax evasion to condemn Greece & the Greek people so hard. I mean it's all you've fought for in the latest posts...
    (gleefully ignoring all of the
    substantial questions
    I've put to you).

I think it's time to let you know after going so far with it & seeing you fight so hard to put the Greek people down that they owe $405 Billion

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Economy_of_Greece#2010_debt_crisis

This crazy tax evasion and corruption is barely the whole story ;)

I knew you were in the market to condemn the people & I wanted to see how far you'd go before dropping this little factoid on you.

Where did the rest of the debt accumulate from prinz? Where was the philosophy back then when you condemned everyone for ringing up this debt?

Now, lets look at something interesting;
    The proposed changes, which aim to save €30 billion through 2012
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/May_2010_Greek_protests

Assuming the figures to be accurate in the earlier estimate we were talking about, why should the honest Greek people have to suffer cuts to the public cache because of the dishonest people who were evading tax?

Assuming the proposed cuts will restore the estimated money lost to corruption what about the rest of the debt?

What did Joe Papodopolous do to ring up that bill?

Btw; No! The argument is not over semantics it's that quote I keep bringing back that you keep ignoring that is my main concern and you know it.

simonj wrote: »
    And in fairness, if you bothered to read State of Africa, then yould see there are correlations between corruption in post Anglo colonies, and here - as for being a bit stupid, perhaps, but at least some of us tried to suggest some answers to the question rather than going around insulting other posters in a pointless manner.

Doing something means getting involved, either in protest or trying to develop an alternative to the current way things are being run

If you're interested in how Africa got put into their mess and how they were coping up until pretty recently I suggest the book;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_Europe_Underdeveloped_Africa

It's free online & I've heard it quoted in lectures etc... You should see what happened to the author after he published this book too :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭Carlos_Ray

Throughout our history those that protested often ended up shafted by the rest of the country.

I'd say it also has something to do with the fact that a lot of Irish people are naturally bitter toward any Irish person that raises their head above the parapet, or anyone who achieves success.

Carlos_Ray wrote: »
    Throughout our history those that protested often ended up shafted by the rest of the country.

I'd say it also has something to do with the fact that a lot of Irish people are naturally bitter toward any Irish person that raises their head above the parapet, or anyone who achieves success.

Haha, that certainly sounds like my old school classroom & some threads I've read on boards :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

Assuming the proposed cuts will restore the estimated money lost to corruption what about the rest of the debt?

Do I have to repeat myself again? More in, less out. Tax intake up, spending cut, means the debt can be made smaller and smaller and smaller......

prinz wrote: »
    Do I have to repeat myself again? More in, less out. Tax intake up, spending cut, means the debt can be made smaller and smaller and smaller......

Beautiful, nothing like ending on a tautological phrase ;)

while skipping all of the
    details with shorter
    and shorter
    sentences
    ending
    with
    a

• Registered Users Posts: 14 crowe79

This chap on TV3 News certainly had an opinion on our ability to show outrage about our politicians. Not to mention his interesting aside on their physiology.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ThrEW2t7H38

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭elius

duffflash wrote: »
    Why are we so afraid of showing the government and the EU how we feel?

Country of push over's simple's :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

The Greek protests were extreme. apparantly 20,000 hotel bedrooms have been cancelled this summer.

The protest the other day against the bank bailouts was kept very quiet.

I hope the European Union scrutinising the budget books before they are passed will be some deterent to our inept government. Politicians get extortionate wages to attend funerals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭RocketFalls

Couldn't give a toss about the Lisbon thing, but I really can't understand how this economic mess is tolerated. I'm sure somebody can find out where these bonus-laden bankers live and congregate outside their house menacingly until they start giving some money back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭Fuhrer

simonj wrote: »

Hold on Skippy, you didnt say there was correlation between Anglo colonies and our corruption, you said just like the africans who live in famine and genocide, we were happy to sit and do nothing.

No, the reason why I insulted you is this, your rhetoric is hyperbolic and reactionary. The "doing something" you refer to is what makes extremists out of the fringe lunatics that hang around that actually take your wild and idiotic statements literally and makes the reasonable people looking on disenchanted with the opposition.

This is the problem, people look at the government and they see liars and cheats. They look at the most visable opposition and they say lunatics, blowhards, more liars, thugs and opportunists(SWP, Sinn Fein Youth or whatever they're calling themselves this week.

What needs to be done is a realistic scaling back of government expenditure including cuts to public sector workers and services and a tax raise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭northwest100

Any protesters in Greece or Ireland unhappy with the bank bailout should move to Cuba or North Korea.

i'm sure any castro-lovers here would get on well with the leftie commies over there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

duffflash wrote: »
    Why are we so afraid of showing the government and the EU how we feel?

There is no reason you cannot begin your protest by writing to the national papers ; i've done it loads of time. Send an email to your TDs and coincillors also; though beware writing to yoour TDs and Coincillors may be a really depressing experience when you realise how self centred they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭femur61

anymore wrote: »
    There is no reason you cannot begin your protest by writing to the national papers ; i've done it loads of time. Send an email to your TDs and coincillors also; though beware writing to yoour TDs and Coincillors may be a really depressing experience when you realise how self centred they are.

I don't mean to belittle your stance but people have been doing that for yours. There is an arrogance amongst politicans that they are a law untoo themselves.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055911944

Maybe some of us are biding our time. :)

DeV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭anymore

femur61 wrote: »
    I don't mean to belittle your stance but people have been doing that for yours. There is an arrogance amongst politicans that they are a law untoo themselves.

To be honest, you are probably right to belittle my stance as the whole experience has left me with an utter contempt :(for both most TDs and Councillors - most of them are contemptible greedy little self -promoters. irish politicians are low life ! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 34 NewGrad

This protest in the Ukraine received considerable coverage internationally:

http://www.news.com.au/world/half-naked-women-protest-ukrainian-election/story-e6frfkyi-1225827641408

It was reported that the protest raised ... awareness to the issues in the Ukraine election.

Advertisement