Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most frightened you've ever been?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Get over it, this is a pretty damn good thread. Something AH has been lacking as of late, if you want to start talking about xenophobia and racism and whatever else, there are millions of other threads. Don't drag this one into the gutter with your assumptions, morals and politicaly correct rubbish. The poster said he knew they were turks, so they were turks, big fcuking deal...

QFT. Far too many threads destroyed over such BS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

goat2 wrote: »
    when i was on my last year in primary school
    my brother was on his first
    we lived in a very isolated area, our farmhouse was about half a mile in from main road,
    we went to school by bus
    one evening after getting off bus, there was this car at end of our road, a rough looking man about forty yrs got out with a ball which looked to have spikes on it swinging from a chain, this person started following us swinging this ball, we ran for our lives through bushes ditches fields, till we got to our father and calling out him, if we had not been so thin and quick on our feet to this day i dont know what would have happened, i was twelve or thirteen my brother was six. we were torn bleeding from thorns and bushes blood gushing from us.
    today i still see it clearly as an adult, my brother has nightmares about it, some time ago we were discussing it, and i realise that it had a bigger impact on him than me
    we also wondered about those missing, and could this person have anything to do with it,

Holy **** :eek::eek::eek:

This story scares the **** out of me!!! Jesus christ, it's horrendous. Thank god ye were ok, and I hope no-one else was hurt. :( ****. I'm incredibly creeped out now.

Some frightening stories on this thread. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

Degsy wrote: »
    I was out walking in howth years ago when i literally slipped off the edge of a cliff..one minute i was on dry land the next thing i was dangling 200 ft above the sea,holding onto tussocks of grass.
    I actually thought "this is it,this is how it all ends"..i was utterly shiiting myself.
    Somehow i managed to get a foothold on the cliff underneath me and hauled myself up by the hands..if i'd fallen it wouldve been curtains..no doubt about it.
    I'm not a religious man but i did some powerfull praying in those couple of minutes and i still get shivers thinking about it today.
    Anybody actually been in fear of their lives?
    i remember an experience like this while sea fishing on my way to the mark was a slippery shelf i had to cross i slipped once but cot myself thank god the drop was about 80 feet,never went there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Just want to say, as creepy as this thread is....congrats to the OP.... Best thread on the whole of boards for ages!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

1fahy4 wrote: »
    Holy **** :eek::eek::eek:

This story scares the **** out of me!!! Jesus christ, it's horrendous. Thank god ye were ok, and I hope no-one else was hurt. :( ****. I'm incredibly creeped out now.

Some frightening stories on this thread. :eek:

Pretty fecking scary alright. I was raised in the countryside and for some reason you always think you are that bit "safer" than in a big city/town.

Stupid really, weirdos who should be locked up for good everywhere it seems.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

Man Up! :P
    it takes a real man to admit it,spiders scare the crap out of me:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 220 ✭✭theboxer

I was out walking in howth years ago when i literally slipped off the edge of a cliff..one minute i was on dry land the next thing i was dangling 200 ft above the sea,holding onto tussocks of grass.
    I actually thought "this is it,this is how it all ends"..i was utterly shiiting myself.
    Somehow i managed to get a foothold on the cliff underneath me and hauled myself up by the hands..if i'd fallen it wouldve been curtains..no doubt about it.
    I'm not a religious man but i did some powerfull praying in those couple of minutes and i still get shivers thinking about it today.
    Anybody actually been in fear of their lives?

Scary sh*t. You must have some upper body strength to be able to pull yourself up by using tussocks of grass. Although, they say you gain a bit more strenght/speed when in near death scenarios.

My scariest experience was when I crossed the rope bridge near the Giants Causeway. It was in the middle of January, there were strong winds and it was lashing rain. I am scared sh*tless of heights so the supervisor walked me over the first time. I was with the ex and one of my mates from Belfast and after getting across, we stopped for photos and all that sort of thing. Anyway, there was no sign of the supervisor chap, he probably went on his break. So, my mate says dont worry, Il walk you back across. Half way across, he stops and starts jumping up and down like a mad thing on the bridge. The rope bridge was swaying side to side and I was getting lashed out of it by the wind and rain. I kind of leaned down on my knees whilst I held on to the rope for dear life and slowly crawled across. We went for soup and a cup of coffee in the little cafe after and I couldnt hold the cup my hands were shaking so much.:o

Heres the rope bridge - http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/87474621_6e2223869a.jpg

Thinking about it and perhaps the scariest thing imaginable is when I used to babysit for my parents when my brothers would only be babies and when checking on them I would notice that they would often be scarily quiet. My heart would always beat a mile a minute as I held my hand above the babies mouth to ensure they were breathing. It's a completely irrational sense of dread but one which would scare the hell out of me and still does everytime I baby sit even though the youngest is nearly 3 now.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

theboxer wrote: »
    Scary sh*t. You must have some upper body strength to be able to pull yourself up by using tussocks of grass. Although, they say you gain a bit more strenght/speed when in near death scenarios.

Pure fear of dying gave me the stength..when you think of your family grieving round your coffin..when you think of how damn stupid it is to die like that..you get the strength..your desire to live outweighs everything else in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Thinking about it and perhaps the scariest thing imaginable is when I used to babysit for my parents when my brothers would only be babies and when checking on them I would notice that they would often be scarily quiet. My heart would always beat a mile a minute as I held my hand above the babies mouth to ensure they were breathing. It's a completely irrational sense of dread but one which would scare the hell out of me and still does everytime I baby sit even though the youngest is nearly 3 now.

I'm the youngest in my family and was never really into babies so only experienced this for the first time when my nephews were born a few years ago. They're twins, so when they were a few days old I went down to stay for a few days to help out. One of them stayed in my room during that time and I actually didn't sleep a wink the whole time. Every sigh or splutter and I was jumping out of bed to see what was wrong. Even now, they're 3, and I still can't relax when the baby monitor is in my room. Scary stuff!

• Advertisement

Shit yeah that is scarey as all hell, that reminds me when my first daughter was born. We got her home and the GF was whacked tired. I said I'd look after the little 'un and she went to bed. - There I am playing xbox with her in her moses basket about 3 ft away. I was playing for a few hours, really engrossed in the game - Then in an INSTANT my stomach renched and it hit me that I had forgot she was even there and I hadn't heard a murmer or a gurgle for hours. I lept up and she was just lying there with her eyes open looking at me, Took me a few seconds to realise she was fine but I didn't sleep a wink for a few days checking her every 5 mins.

• Registered Users Posts: 888 ✭✭✭quicklickpaddy

Wow... This thread is crazy. I actually can't believe the amount of insane stories.

Not really much like anything here but probably the most scared I've been was when a condom broke and then even after the morning after my gf was a week late. My sister had had a child before 20 and my parents had already made it clear that it was a no tolerance issue. I was terrified of getting kicked out of home if they found out on top of the prospect of getting someone pregnant. Maybe even more scared of what my sister would do to me!

The more I think about this the more incidents come to mind. I started college the year before last and like all people made a number of new friends. Of these there was one whem I became especially close with and we spent a lot of time together and I knew that I had made one of those freinds for life.

Anyways one day I was late into college having skipped the morning lecture as my grandparents had came up for the day. Just after 2.00 they drop me outside the college and I head in for another dreadfully dull German lecture.

As I'm walking in I notice none of my classmates around and assume that class started early but when I get to the main entrence I'm met by one of my lecturers coming out who says somethign to me before takeing my by the hand and walks me over to the prefab where our class is. I knew instantly that something really bad had happened and in those few moments I was absolutly terrified of the news.

When I got into the prefab no one met my eye as they were all staring at the floor as one of my lecturers talked to them. A second later all eyes were on me as the news that my best friend had been found dead that morning was delivered to me. I left the room instantly but while it was such a shock to hear what had happened the odd thing is that it was also I think a relief, as knowing what had happened took taway the fear I had felt when walking across the 15 metres of gravel to get there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

it takes a real man to admit it,spiders scare the crap out of me:)

I have a funny one... well I think it's funny.

I shared a house with a very good friend of mine a few years back. Keeps to himself with most things, won't discuss personal things too much. He's a big lump of a man, stands about 6' 2" or 6' 3", big deep voice, a manly man. Well, every so often at night, often in the early hours of the morning, I would hear the hoover being turned on for a moment, then off, then on, then off, then on... "FFS, he's not putting the hoover to his díck, is he?" I thought to myself... well after a while I built up the courage to ask him. "Man, wtf were you doing with the hoover lastnight, and all the other nights?"

He knew I was getting at something, so he swallowed his pride and explained to me that he checks his room for spiders before he goes to bed, he hoovers them up and any cobwebs he finds. I found this hilarious, I told him that they would just crawl back out of the hoover anyway, whenever I say this to him he just says really loudly "LALALALA SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP"... He always put the hoover in the room under the stairs for peace of mind... It still cracks me up thinking about it.

My scariest experience was when I crossed the rope bridge near the Giants Causeway. It was in the middle of January, there were strong winds and it was lashing rain. I am scared sh*tless of heights so the supervisor walked me over the first time. I was with the ex and one of my mates from Belfast and after getting across, we stopped for photos and all that sort of thing. Anyway, there was no sign of the supervisor chap, he probably went on his break. So, my mate says dont worry, Il walk you back across. Half way across, he stops and starts jumping up and down like a mad thing on the bridge. The rope bridge was swaying side to side and I was getting lashed out of it by the wind and rain. I kind of leaned down on my knees whilst I held on to the rope for dear life and slowly crawled across. We went for soup and a cup of coffee in the little cafe after and I couldnt hold the cup my hands were shaking so much.:o

Heres the rope bridge - http://farm1.static.flickr.com/42/87474621_6e2223869a.jpg

I was up there when I was about 12, during the cease fire. What I want to know is, what's the point of that rope bridge? All I can remember is there being some sort of nothing on the other side. Just a rock. Am I right in thinking this?

Pure fear of dying gave me the stength..when you think of your family grieving round your coffin..when you think of how damn stupid it is to die like that..you get the strength..your desire to live outweighs everything else in the world.

Aye, thats explains it alright. If I was in your position and I looked down my body would have locked. I wouldnt have been able to move a muscle.

Heights scare the bejaysus out of me. My only real phobia. We went back to a boozer in west Belfast after the rope bridge "incident". There was a picture up in the lounge of a lad who cycled across the bridge on a bicycle in the early 70s. There was no hand rail on the bridge at the time. Lunatic.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Scram

in my dreams, im sure everyone has the dream where they fall and panic and then wake up.

im sure its to do with being paranoind but what the heck, if it happens it happens.

Heights scare the bejaysus out of me. My only real phobia. We went back to a boozer in west Belfast after the rope bridge "incident". There was a picture up in the lounge of a lad who cycled across the bridge on a bicycle in the early 70s. There was no hand rail on the bridge at the time. Lunatic.

Not a big fan of heights myself but I've always felt that if I even want to end it all I will do so by jumping from the highest point possible. I think it's the prospect of just feeling the nothingness all around you that makes it so scary yet at the same time so appealing.

Scram wrote: »
    in my dreams, im sure everyone has the dream where they fall and panic and then wake up.

im sure its to do with being paranoind but what the heck, if it happens it happens.

actually, that is to do with your heart rate slowing down into it's sleep pattern and sometimes it may skip a beat completely then it gives your nervous system a jolt incase the heart has stopped altogether.
    Some scientists believe it is a trait leftover from when early humans may have slept in trees, it quickens the reactions to if you are actually going to fall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 Eldel

We lived down the country when I was a kid. I have 4 younger brothers - G,D,J,T. My mam & dad went out for the night and I babysat. The 2 older brothers (G,D) stayed downstairs watchin tv while I brought the little ones to bed. After settling them I was on my way downstairs when I heard the downstairs toilet flush. Nothing strange about that, but when I went into the kitchen both of the older brothers were in the kitchen! They hadn't moved. I gingerly stepped out into the hallway and the toilet flushed again. The colour drained from our faces. G remembered that my dad had a shotgun under the stairs, right beside the door of the toilet. How he got the nerve I'll never know, but he slipped down and grabbed the gun and raaaaannnnnnnn. D had a knife and the 3 of us retreated and locked ourselves into the sittingroom. (J and T were gonna have to fend for themselves). Our phone was locked by my parents and there were only fly windows to get out. Basically we were trapped while this racket was going on in the toilet. I was just getting my leg out through the window when mam & dad showed up. Told them about the toilet, and Dad just opened the door, no one there! That frightened us even more. But then the toilet flushed again, Dad jumped up and found that an old toilet block was holding down the ball cock. Simple eh?
    Thing is, that was a scary old house and I HATED being left there alone.

I was up there when I was about 12, during the cease fire. What I want to know is, what's the point of that rope bridge? All I can remember is there being some sort of nothing on the other side. Just a rock. Am I right in thinking this?

There was a small fishermans cabin at the other side. So the bridge was originally put up for the fishermen. The cabin is still there but the fisherman have either died or moved on. Now, the bridge is simply a tourist attraction. Tourist attraction me hoop, that bridge is the work of satan himself!:P

I just checked out the bridge there on YouTube. It gave me the heebie jeebies just looking at it. The ex has the whole thing on her video phone. I must get her to send it to me. Me there crawling across on me knees and whining like a little bitch. I broke into prayer at one stage - "Holy mary mother of god, Holy mary mother of god".

:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Years ago when hitching was the only way to get around Ireland, a friend and I hitched from Clonmel to Dublin one day and then decided to hitch to her parent's house in Ballinasloe (long Summer evenings). We ended up getting dropped off in Athlone and heaved a sigh of relief as only another 13 miles to go. A gold Chrysler Alpine pulled up with two lads in the front. We got in and the guys seemed nice enough. They were going to Galway and asked if we wanted to go on with them - some big dance on. We refused as we were dog tired from the long day. They were all, "ah come on, you know you want to". We repeated we were tired and that her mother was expecting (was she **** as like!) us but they kept pressing the issue so we said we might change our minds once we'd dropped our stuff off at her house just to shut them up.

Coming into Ballinasloe I notice my friend looking a bit uneasy and shooting a look at me. Then she says, "come on lads, this isn't funny, head back into town." They had turned left off the road into town, heading out to a place called Creagh. We pleaded with them and tried to cajole them into heading back to Ballinasloe but they just turned around looked at us and laughed. They took a side turn off the road and then lots more. We ended up in the middle of nowhere and they were telling us that we knew why we were there and to behave etc. After what seems liked hours of this (minutes probably) they told us to put out or get out. We got out and they drove away. She was panicking as it was 'her territory' but she didn't have a clue where we were. Next minute we heard a car and it was the lads back again. They speeded up heading straight for us and we jumped up on the ditch terrified. They kept on driving, thank feck.

We started walking back the way we'd come until after a mile we came to a house. After checking that the car wasn't there we knocked at the door to ask for directions. It was like Cletus and Brandy's house in the Simpsons. The whole family came to the door. They told us we were about 13 miles from Ballinasloe and gave us directions back. We were so freaked by the thoughts they might drag us into the house we didn't really listen to the directions and just kept walking. Ended up asking an old farmer further up the road. He was a complete sweetheart and drove us back into town. We didn't tell any adult what had happened and although we discussed ringing the guards she was too worried about what her parents would say about her hitching if it came out so we didn't.

It was terrifying and to this day I feel guilty for not reporting them and wonder did they escalate their behaviour having got away with it once.

After what seems liked hours of this (minutes probably) they told us to put out or get out.

They might have known your user name on boards.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

They might have known your user name on boards.:)

Fecking user name. It was a joke at the time and now it's held against me nearly every time I post. I'm too decrepit to be up for anything except a speeding fine I didn't pay on time. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 xxlily87xx

Victor wrote: »
    Troll much?

Two Turkish guys in a small town and nobody knows who they are OR people you know nothing about you magically know are Turkish.
    I dont live in a small town, im from dublin, ballymun to be exact and this happened about 6 years ago when every building site in ballymun was full of turkish workers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

I just turned 18 and my Mammy went into hospital, she started filling them vomit basin things with blood and mass'.

A nun praying at her bedside, and her looking at me telling me "Im going to die."

I've never cried so much or been more frightened, thankfully she beat the 50/50 odds :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭pjmn

Years ago (was 15 at the time) - was cycling home - dark country road - no light (of course) - but knew the road like the back of my hand - came down the last hill before home at speed, when I crashed in to what felt like a wall and ended up cut and bruised on the road, with what appeared to be an animal standing over me, making all sorts of loud and weird noises - I had hit a neighbours horse that had been standing broadside at the bottom of the hill!

Nearly had a heart attack....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 breakinglights

The other day, as I rolled over in bed to be greeted by a giant fúcking spider on my pillow! Superman wouldn't have moved as fast as I did!

Try having it ON your face :eek: I was lying in bed one morning waiting for the alarm to go off and felt something on my face!! Just brushed it off, I though it was my hair as I was swimming the day before and it was curly!!! The next thing I saw the fceker crawling along the duvet!!

I still flinch and shake about (even doing it right now) when I think about it!!! Yuck!!! And +1 for the Superman movement, never got out of that bed so fast in my whole life!!

However nothing will ever beat the time I was on a family holiday in Spain!! My brothers were up early the first day there, dying to get into the swimming pool (one couldnt swim, the other two could but badly) The pool was really odd, there were tiny shallow pieces around the whole of the pool and then a huge sudden drop and into the deep end with ya!! I was up on the balcony looking down on them and the mother had come back upstairs to get towels. There was nobody else to be seen bar the gardener watering the flowers nearby. Boys will be boys, making a huge racket, nothing out of the ordinary especially for my brothers so I didnt really take much notice. Then the youngest, who was 5 at the time, disappeared!! All I could hear was the other two screaming and and splashing around. Then I noticed the gardener running towards the pool and diving in. I will never forget running down those flights of stairs and the sound of flip flops slapping off the floor!! When we got outside, my little brother was blue, lying by the edge of the pool and there was a doctor (who was thankfully staying on the ground floor) whacking his chest to bring his heartbeat back!! After a few minutes, which were the longest lived of my whole life, he jumped up and spat water all over the place!! He spent the rest of the holiday in hospital and luckily everything was fine! To this day he will not go near a swimming pool!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 977 ✭✭✭Abrasax

Coming on a motorbike from Balbriggan back to Dublin, when a hurricane started up, blowing in off the sea. I went from the second Balbriggan slip road to the first and thought 'Ah, this'll be grand it's not too bad' and continued on and the next slip road wasn't till the one just before the bridge at Swords, about 5-7 minutes motoring.
    It's very open here and the wind really started picking up. So, now I'm on the motorway, in the dark, with cars passing me and I'm having to lean right into the wind and when a gust catches me, it's blowing me from one lane into the next and I don't know when a gust is going to coincide with a passing car.
    I pulled in for a few seconds and thought about waiting it out, but the storm had just started and I wasn't going to wait by the side of the road for hours, so on I plowed and I can safely say those few minutes were the most terrifying of my life.
    Never again. Bikes and hurricanes don't mix.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Daisy Steiner

What an excellent thread! It's giving me the shivers. :eek:

I've had a few scary moments so far:

I was working in an offie in D8, Two guys came in; one with a shotgun and the other a butcher's knife. I was on my own at the till and remember just staring at the end of the shotgun that was being waved in my face, I honestly couldn't even hear them demanding cigs/money/all the dutch gold.
    The guy with the gun got really angry and shoved it against my temple. A truly excellent way to focus the mind, I snapped out of it, opened the till and backed away. Had to pass the guy with the knife which took a lot of courage, plus the fact that the anger was rising against the guy with the gun. ****ing coward waving a ****ing shotgun in a young womans face.

I also aqua-planed my Dad's car a couple of years ago, and it was only sheer luck that I didn't take at least another three cars with me. Had just left the motorway after a heavy shower when suddenly the world started spinning, thankfully I crashed through the ditch and into a field, still gives me the gawks that I could just as easily have skidded the other way into oncoming traffic. I wrote the car off and had a very impressive bruise from the seat-belt but apart from that was ok.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 489 ✭✭dermothickey

lots of things have given me the willies over the years, A few spring to mind

Once when camping in South Africa I was awoken around 3 am and heard lots of snorting and grunting, woke up the ex whats that...Just lions she says and goes back to sleep. Opened the zip slowly and peeked out there was 6 Lions outside the tent pacing back and forth looking pissed off. I quickly zipped up the tent and had to listen to them while bursting for a pee until around 7 o clock in the morning arrived and they fecked off.

While travelling around Australia in a camper pulled in to one of those free camping sites..woke again in the middle of the night needong a pee, stepped out slashed away. turned on the torch and there was about 20/30 huge snakes of all sizes around me there eyes flashing in the lights hissing at me. Had to navigate my way back in to the camper. thinking one of them might have gone in to it.

Another was of my brother when he was about 10 walking home from the shops with a bale of briquettes and 2 men jumped out of a car and chased him home. He ran all the way home with the bale of briquettes in his hand told my father he jumps up and gets in to the car looking for them. Comes home why didn't you drop the bale of briquettes(quite heavy for a 10 year old) he says I was afraid you wouldn't believe me and thought i'd stole the money. He was more afraid of my father than the 2 men in the car.

When about 4 years old was with the older brothers and sisters in the kitchen cleaning up the dishes after the dinner, Pitch black middle of winter when a loud knock on the window...we look around there was a big black face looking in at us with white eyes, well we all fell on the floor trying to scramble over to the kitchen door screaming, We couldn't open the door as we were trying to push it open because it was a pull door... My father comes in shouting whats all the screaming about...Laughs when he sees it's the coalman.

Saw 3 ghosts as well...and I know this brings up skepticism but when you see you believe.

Advertisement