Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Whats the most frightened you've ever been?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

A bungy jump in NZ

When I was driving home late at night on a country road and came across a man lying down on the side of the road

When I was 17 and wrote off my parents car.... that was SCARY!

WTF? What happened/what did you do? If you don't mind me asking...

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭merengueca

When I was 17 and wrote off my parents car.... that was SCARY!

I did that as well! My Mum made me ring Dad at work and tell him myself what had happened - he was soooooo cross!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 xxlily87xx

goat2 wrote: »
    do you ever wonder like me
    that they could have done damage to others after that incident, this is what worry me, we are lucky to have escaped alive
    Oh yeah definately, im glad that it wasnt worse, i hav always wondered wat would've happened if i hadn't of screamed for help or if people never heard me but thankfully they did. The gaurds did tell me that they were after following a girl home earlier that night too but luckily she bent down and picked up a rock and when one did come up behind her she whacked him wit it and ran home so she managed to get away without anythin. Her mother found out off the gaurds that her daughter wasnt the only one and she knocked at my door a few days later to see if i was alright, which i thought was lovely. I had strangers comin up to me makin sure i was ok. It definately was terrifyin and as you said thank god we came out alive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Limerick_Lass

WTF? What happened/what did you do? If you don't mind me asking...

I didnt know.. i drove up close to him and was shouting out the window because this happened my aunt before and when she got out of the car... 2 guys jumped out of the ditch so I was really scared... Make a long story short... he was drunk!

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭AssaultedPeanut

I didnt know.. i drove up close to him and was shouting out the window because this happened my aunt before and when she got out of the car... 2 guys jumped out of the ditch so I was really scared... Make a long story short... he was drunk!

Ah I see:P
    That's a situation I'd hate to be in though. I wouldn't want to just leave them there in case they're really in trouble, but then I'd be terrified to get out of the car and check on them in case it was a trap......ugh intensely creepy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

me and my brother drove a football through the front window we were about 10 or 11 dad was comming home from the pub fairly oiled jesus we were scared.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,699 ✭✭✭Brian

One day my son was playing some basketball with friends, when a group of hoodlums arrived on the scene and provoked an altercation. Thankfully it didn't go much further than some pushing and slagging. It was still an ominous sign, and I became concerned about the possibility of a recurrence of such violence as it could endanger my son. So the next day when he returned home I told him 'You're movin' with your auntie and uncle in Bel Air'.

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭mkdon05

Was coming home from an Ireland match a few years ago, the lads I was with went into a petrol station while I sat on the little wall outside it. 2 cnuts came up behind me and one of them put his arm around my neck.
    I jumped up and shouted "what the fcuk", it was then I realised he had a gun pointed at my head.
    Cnut 1: Is that the Fella
    Cnut 2: Mmmmmm Im not sure
    Me: Im not the fcuking Fella
    Cnut 2: I dont think thats him

They walk away cool as you like, Ive near shat meself, and the lads came out and thought I was talking balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

mkdon05 wrote: »
    Was coming home from an Ireland match a few years ago, the lads I was with went into a petrol station while I sat on the little wall outside it. 2 cnuts came up behind me and one of them put his arm around my neck.
    I jumped up and shouted "what the fcuk", it was the I realised he had a gun pointed at my head.

They walk away cool as you like, Ive near shat meself, and the lads came out and thought I was talking balls.
    that was some shaker of a fright to get

reading through the posts here has been a huge help to me to see others who suffered at the hands of dangerous people
    and are now able to talk about it
    i have never told my children,
    but thank god we are here to tell the tale

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 lifeinireland

mkdon05 wrote: »
    I jumped up and shouted "what the fcuk", it was the I realised he had a gun pointed at my head.

man that is frightening.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

When i was eleven i used to be in the seascouts in clontarf.On thursdays when the meets were on i stayed in my granny's house which was on the seafront and directly across the road from a slipway with steps leading down to the beach.
    One night,i think it was november coz it was pitch dark at 8pm the scouts was cancellled because the hall had been flooded,i ended up heading home to my granny's house an hor earlier than scheduled and there was nobody home when i rang the bell.
    I had some time to kill so i was waiting around at the sea wall waiting fro my grandparents to come home.
    This bloke,i'd say he was in his 30's started talking to me..asked where i was from etc,i told him i was from Donaghemede(which i was)..he asked me did i know a bloke called *pual ryan*..i said yeah he's my next door neighbour (which he was),i asked the bloke how he knew him and he suddenly got really weird..he initially said the Paul Ryan he knew was an older bloke then he got confused and said he was a "youngfella,like yourself"..i started to get a bit creepd out and went to cross the road to wait in my grannys garden.
    Then the bloke says to me,pointing down to the slipway "thers's a bmx bike down ther,i saw it earlier,its brand new,lets go and get it"..I was planking it at this stage as he was looking at me with a very strange look in his eye...bearing in mind the slipway is invisible from the road and a good distance down some steps.
    I told the bloke i had to be home soon and he started getting more insistent.."there's two bmx bikes down there..brand new lets go see them"..i had a penknife attached to my lanyard and i had it curled in my hand but i never would've got the blade open in time.
    Then a woman walked by walking two dogs and i stopped her and pretended to ask for directions to a road i knew very well..when she stopped to talk to me yer man took off sharpish.
    I make no secret of the fact that i was shaking like a leaf for two days afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

Degsy wrote: »
    When i was eleven i used to be in the seascouts in clontarf.On thursdays when the meets were on i stayed in my granny's house which was on the seafront and directly across the road from a slipway with steps leading down to the beach.
    One night,i think it was november coz it was pitch dark at 8pm the scouts was cancellled because the hall had been flooded,i ended up heading home to my granny's house an hor earlier than scheduled and there was nobody home when i rang the bell.
    I had some time to kill so i was waiting around at the sea wall waiting fro my grandparents to come home.
    This bloke,i'd say he was in his 30's started talking to me..asked where i was from etc,i told him i was from Donaghemede(which i was)..he asked me did i know a bloke called *pual ryan*..i said yeah he's my next door neighbour (which he was),i asked the bloke how he knew him and he suddenly got really weird..he initially said the Paul Ryan he knew was an older bloke then he got confused and said he was a "youngfella,like yourself"..i started to get a bit creepd out and went to cross the road to wait in my grannys garden.
    Then the bloke says to me,pointing down to the slipway "thers's a bmx bike down ther,i saw it earlier,its brand new,lets go and get it"..I was planking it at this stage as he was looking at me with a very strange look in his eye...bearing in mind the slipway is invisible from the road and a good distance down some steps.
    I told the bloke i had to be home soon and he started getting more insistent.."there's two bmx bikes down there..brand new lets go see them"..i had a penknife attached to my lanyard and i had it curled in my hand but i never would've got the blade open in time.
    Then a woman walked by walking two dogs and i stopped her and pretended to ask for directions to a road i knew very well..when she stopped to talk to me yer man took off sharpish.
    I make no secret of the fact that i was shaking like a leaf for two days afterwards.

That's frightened me just reading it! :eek::eek::eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

Not so mu h frightened as creeped the **** out. When I was about 11 I was cycling along a quiet country road and I came across a box wrapped in silver and blue wrapping paper with a blue bow on top. Naturally I opened it only to find loads of tarot cards and books on witchcraft. I got a weird feeling and threw all the stuff into a field. A few hours later I told my Dad about it and he drove down to the spot and all the stuff was gone. Somebody must have been there because a passer by would not have seen where I threw it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

I was out hiking/walking in Kerry with my dad during a family holiday when I was 10. We were around the Carrantouhil area (I'm not sure exactly where) - I think maybe walking from the Black Valley to the Bridia Valley?

Anyway, my dad decided he wanted to hike uphill a little more and when we were about half an hour from getting back to where the car was parked he left me and told me to go on to the car and wait for him there.

Basically, I got myself completely disorintated and lost. There were supposed to be those Kerry Way signs (the little luminous yellow man on a wooden post) to follow but I hadn't seen one for ages. I totally panicked and was so scared I would never find my way back! This was in the days before mobile phones etc - though I'm not sure how reception is down there anyway!

In the end I remembered something we had learned in primary school geography and I scanned around for some sort of marker I recognised to see if I could just aim straight for it. Eventually I saw one of the Kerry Way signs in the distance and just aimed to go straight for it. This required me to go off the path and climb over all these huge boulders to get there, but I was so scared I would lose sight of it!

It felt like it took me forever to reach it, but thankfully I made it back to the car in one piece. I'm sure I wasn't in any real danger, but as a 10 year old I was petrified!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

xxlily87xx wrote: »
    Im grand now thanks, a neighbour chased them into a building site but couldn find them, i gav a description of them to the gaurds, but never heard anythin more after that. All i know is that they were turkish.
    Troll much?

Two Turkish guys in a small town and nobody knows who they are OR people you know nothing about you magically know are Turkish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭yoshytoshy

Degsy wrote: »

I was approached myself around the same age ,first time on a bus going into town to meet someone and some old guy with sunglasses started being really nice to me when I got off the bus. No sorry I said to him and just walked the opposite direction ,without looking back.
    Scary as hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭dazberry

I was walking home one night across a local green and a car was passing, skidded to a stop, reversed, and high beamed me. It frightened the carp out of me and I instinctively ran and the car chased me. To cut a long story short, me banging on a door of house begging for help, getting bundled into a car under the threat of having my legs broken - and then the arrival of 5 squad cars and a bike. A 30 second statement to the gardai and i was sent home.

The fcuker that caused all this was being a Rambo because some scumbags had tried to break into his g/fs fathers car and I was in the wrong place at the wrong time. I was only 15 and it shook me up for a long time.

D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

Victor wrote: »
    Troll much?

Two Turkish guys in a small town and nobody knows who they are OR people you know nothing about you magically know are Turkish.

Not doubting or agreeing with you but they could have just looked Turkish? Not as if there aren't many Turkish in Ireland/people don't travel??!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

This thread gives me the shivers. Some seriously scary stories in them.

Mine is a bit different,when I was younger I used to be afraid of my dad dying suddenly in the night. Id lay in bed thinking about scenarios and how we'd cope without him and pray to God literally not to take him. He was perfectly healthy and it was a completely irrational fear. The ironic thing is that he did die very suddenly when I was 19 and the fear had passed.

Kirnsy wrote: »
    This thread gives me the shivers. Some seriously scary stories in them.

Mine is a bit different,when I was younger I used to be afraid of my dad dying suddenly in the night. Id lay in bed thinking about scenarios and how we'd cope without him and pray to God literally not to take him. He was perfectly healthy and it was a completely irrational fear. The ironic thing is that he did die very suddenly when I was 19 and the fear had passed.

Weird....I used to have something the same only it was dreams and about my mam. Praying to god (when i believed) not to take her and not to leave me with my Dad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

I have a few, each terrified me in different ways, each turned out OK.

One night I was staying in a hotel in London for work, and a guy walked into my room at 3am. Turned out to be an innocent explanation, but that didn't help me much as I sat with my back to the door for over an hour, crying.

I was asleep in an isolated bungalow, well off the main road - everyone else was out, when I was woken by heavy breathing outside the window, which lingered for a while, then there were some men whispering. Freaked the hell out of me so much I couldn't even get out of bed to go for a phone. When I heard the others returning (a few scary hours later) I made a dash for the front door, thinking we'd all be killed. They thought I'd had a bad dream. Woke up the next morning to find hoof prints all over the place - some cattle must have got into the garden, and the whispers were probably men rounding them up while trying not to disturb anyone :)

I lost control of the car when I was 17 on an icy cliff road. I hit my head during the spin and passed out. There was a viewing bench on the edge of the cliff (one of those concrete ones with wooden slats). The rear of the car ending up hitting that, the bench went over the cliff but it stopped the car on the edge of a 100+ ft drop. That wasn't actually that terrifying at the time, as I probably only had about 5-10 seconds of "Oh sh******" before I passed out, and when I came to I wasn't that aware of anything. The people who found me nearly had a nervous breakdown when they figured out what had happened though.

Oddly, I've been mugged and beaten up, but didn't find that as terrifying as cows and strange men in the middle of the night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭The Express

Was at the funeral of an aunt and the undertaker's room had a distinctive smelling air freshener.

Got the same smell later that evening back in the grandparents house (where my aunt was born).

And they didn't have any air fresheners in the house.

couldn't sleep for 3 nights after that. Absolutely petrifying.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 390 ✭✭ananas

When I was on an exchange programme in Germany I was just drifting off to sleep one night when I hear these loud boom noises- like bombs, that were getting louder and louder. I was absolutely shítting myself and then when I looked out the window it was a feckin' fireworks display. Those Germans!

• Registered Users Posts: 78,350 ✭✭✭✭Victor

segaBOY wrote: »
    Not doubting or agreeing with you but they could have just looked Turkish? Not as if there aren't many Turkish in Ireland/people don't travel??!!
    How differently do Turks look to Greeks, Bulgarians, Syrians, Kurds, Georgians, Armenians or any other Mediterranean or Middle Eastern group?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

maybe they were talking in turkish?

maybe they were talking in turkish?

Unless she spoke Turkish how would she known the difference between that and many other similar sounding languages?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,397 ✭✭✭✭Degsy

How differently do Turks look to Greeks, Bulgarians, Syrians, Kurds, Georgians, Armenians or any other Mediterranean or Middle Eastern group?

So they were foreign..does that make the experience less harrowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Seaneh wrote: »
    makes no difference, would need to be a LOT of air for you to be affected.

I was on a Heprin infusion for a month and it always had little bubbles in the line.

Are you a nurse or doctor? The nurse said that a little bubble won't be a problem, but that's all relative, what's a little bubble? Every time they changed the IV I was watching for bubbles in the line. There are some vacuums, but bubbles are different. It was in St Columcilles, so my fears were quite rational :P

Plenty of horror stories here, reminds me of some more of my ones. Normally involving my brother being in a row.

Outside Club 92 in Lepordstown, first time there. Me my brother and my then girlfriend were waiting outside for a taxi. My brother was getting trouble of these few lads inside during the night, but I told him to ignore them. When we got outside the same lads approached us, they started hassling my brother. Mostly just talking, but one of them just wanted to fight, so started swinging punches, my brother retaliated and punched him in the nose, smashed it.

Lots of pushing, shoving and punching going on, I am trying to stop the fight, the girlfriend doesn't know what to do. They push him to the ground and he breaks his wrist, he got up that time though, a few of them are at me trying to start on me, I am walking towards my brother trying to calm things down, punches fly in from behind and they are trying to trip me to the ground. All I am thinking is "They want to get me to the ground and kick me to death, fcuk that, I am not going down". They ended up getting my brother to the ground, but before they could throw any kicks the cops came. It was funny in the end because the cops were unsure who to arrest :P My brother or the other guys. Got a lift home off the cops in the end. I was afraid for my life but moreso my little brothers.

Another time we were in a local town, a small town and we got jumped by a good group of people outside the chipper. The cops were at a shooting that night so we were screwed. No other car in the area. We fought back and hurt one of them. We ran like fcuk through the town, through a church and grave yard where they stopped. Fell into a ditch of nettles, that was pretty painful. That night was pretty scary, but the following weeks were worse, we found out who it was that started the fight with us, only the biggest scumbag in the area. We were told we were going to be stabbed, shot, etc etc. Pretty horrible feeling.

The first time the condom bursts is a pretty terrifying feeling.

Going shooting with my dad when I was a kid, crossing the middle of a field which was in a weird shape, got to a large break in the ditch and there was this bull just standing there looking at us. I shít myself.

Swimming in the sea in Wexford, there was a "dip" in the coast that just went straight down. Was only about 6 foot but I was a kid. I was walking in the water at about waste height and then *VOOOMP* straight under, swallowed a load of sea water and panicked. I am still to this day very very wary of swimming in the sea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭segaBOY

I don't think the poster is trying to demonise Turkish people or is "trolling". For whatever reason she thought they were Turkish, it's a pretty large country with a distinct people with their own accents and "look" about them. Of course, the people could have been Turkish Cypriot, Kurdish etc. for all I know, but I don't think the post was aimed to cause offence to that (or any) nationality.

You can hardly say anything around here with reference to a different nationality without someone having an issue about it. Actually frightening how bad it has gotten in AH over the last couple of years, it's just sad when people get so anal about these things which aren't aimed to cause any offence whatsoever.

Sorry for going off topic, this thread is really interesting, just something I wanted to get off my chest for a while about the nit picking that goes on about every minute detail of any post that mentions someone who is not Irish.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Get over it, this is a pretty damn good thread. Something AH has been lacking as of late, if you want to start talking about xenophobia and racism and whatever else, there are millions of other threads. Don't drag this one into the gutter with your assumptions, morals and politicaly correct rubbish. The poster said he knew they were turks, so they were turks, big fcuking deal...

Advertisement