Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork vs. Tipperary Senior Munster Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Options
1234568»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

Reading the papers this morning and it seems Tipp are taking the defeat very badly, Babs and Micheal Cleary both with very dismal predictions for the future of Tipp.

I think a bit of perspective is needed, they'll have a couple of easy games to settle them down before they face one of the big guns.

Whats the story with Babs? Why is he always complaining? He gives about the Cork lads most of the time and then when Tipp loose he goes on about how bad Tipp hurling is. Tipp are great hurlers and just had one bad day at the office, it happens all good hurling teams from time to time. He needs to cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Dont be so stupid!

Excuse me? Sonic Boom's post was a bitter wind-up.

Orizio wrote: »
    Excuse me? Sonic Boom's post was a bitter wind-up.

No that's how they think of you in KK, fact!
    bitter wind up post??? kettle, pot, black :rolleyes:

No that's how they think of you in KK, fact!
    bitter wind up post??? kettle, pot, black :rolleyes:

There is never anything 'bitter' about any of my posts. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

teednab-el wrote: »
    Remember Sonic from 1999-2009, Cork are the only team that have beaten KK in an All-Ireland final twice. They also got desperately close in 2003 and were not too far off them in 2006. In 2008 they also gave KK a bit of a fright eventhough there team was in disarray and caught up with the strike at that time. If Cork begin to look good again, KK will be worried believe me!

I must have missed that fright in 2008, coming as it did during the best Kilkenny performance since 1982.

Cork certainly weren't too far off Kilkenny in 2006, however that is now 4 years ago. In fact a lot of the cork team that played on Sunday started the all Ireland final of 2004, so it would take a huge effort from Cork to win another all Ireland this year.

That is not to say they can't do it, just that it is quite unlikely in my view. For me the most likely all Ireland winners are probably Galway, Kilkenny and Tipperary and probably in that order.

I'd still put Cork and Waterford at a slightly lower level then those 3.

The Leinster final is now huge game as no-one wants a potential quarter final against Tipp followed by a semi final against Cork or Waterford, followed in turn by a final against the team that beat you in the Leinster final.

On the subject of Aiske, I doubt any of them main contenders need to worry too much as long as their half forwards dont allow Gardiner and co rain balls down on top of him he won't cause the havoc that was caused on Sunday. I'm sure Kavanagh or Hickey would be able for him, I don't think he's a great hurler and personally I'd be a lot more worried about Cussen than Aiske, but thats just my own personal opinion.

Hickey dealt with Corcoran well enough in 2006, and Aiske isn't anywhere near Corcoran for hurling ability.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sonic boom

Orizio wrote: »
    There is never anything 'bitter' about any of my posts. ;)

no but they tend to be snide, condesending and ill informed. someone asked what the kk people think and i said what the kk people where i work are saying. personally i dont agree with it, i think its great to see people thrilled with a big chamionship win, notin like good munster hurling passion.

cork fully deserved their win, fact. i have never said anything to the contrary and wish cork all the best so orizio quit the guff about "bitter" "wind up" nonsense as its all in your head.

ps will cussen make the starting 15 for the next game and where do people think his best position is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sonic boom

Whats the story with Babs? Why is he always complaining? He gives about the Cork lads most of the time and then when Tipp loose he goes on about how bad Tipp hurling is. Tipp are great hurlers and just had one bad day at the office, it happens all good hurling teams from time to time. He needs to cop on.

good point. babs is always at it, we dont pay any attention to him anymore as he has lost all credibility with that sort of stupid talk, he slags every team and its pathetic. cork are a good team and on the up so just ignore it. he just craves attention, as someone once said "if flowers were microphones Babs would give every day in the garden" :)

sonic boom wrote: »
    no but they tend to be snide, condesending and ill informed.

:pac:

Cork will put out the same team against Limerick as we did against Tipp barring injuries.

adrian522 wrote: »
    I must have missed that fright in 2008, coming as it did during the best Kilkenny performance since 1982.

That is not to say they can't do it, just that it is quite unlikely in my view. For me the most likely all Ireland winners are probably Galway, Kilkenny and Tipperary and probably in that order.

I'd still put Cork and Waterford at a slightly lower level then those 3.

I cant understand why Galway are rated AI contenders. For a good team they dont have a tradition of winning All Irelands and have never been consistant as a force in hurling, and thats why I would rate Cork before them to win the All Ireland. This year I reckon its between Killkenny, Cork and Tipperary. All who have a tradition of winning All Irelands.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I cant understand why Galway are rated AI contenders. For a good team they dont have a tradition of winning All Irelands and have never been consistant as a force in hurling, and thats why I would rate Cork before them to win the All Ireland. This year I reckon its between Killkenny, Cork and Tipperary. All who have a tradition of winning All Irelands.

They are rated as AI contenders because they are one of the best teams in the country and with the best player in the country.

I don't see what having a tradition has to do with it. By your rational Wexford, Clare, Offaly, Limerick Waterford would never have won all irelands but somehow they all did despite not having a tradition of winning all irelands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

They are rated as AI contenders because they are one of the best teams in the country and with the best player in the country.

I don't see what having a tradition has to do with it. By your rational Wexford, Clare, Offaly, Limerick Waterford would never have won all irelands but somehow they all did despite not having a tradition of winning all irelands.

Ollie Canning? I really hope you're not talking about Joe because he's definitely not the best in the country yet.

Tipp’s O’Meara hit with one-match ban

By Jackie Cahill

Saturday, June 05, 2010

TIPPERARY have been rocked by the news that Brian O’Meara’s yellow card from last Sunday’s Munster SHC quarter-final has been upgraded to red.

Full-forward O’Meara, making his championship debut against Cork, was booked four minutes after half-time for a challenge on Cork corner back Shane O’Neill at the Blackrock End at Páirc Uí Chaoimh.

The incident was later highlighted on The Sunday Game and compared with Galway’s Andy Smith’s red-card offence against Wexford from the previous night’s Leinster Senior Hurling Championship clash in Kilkenny.

After studying video footage of O’Meara’s tackle, Croke Park officials asked match referee Barry Kelly to review his original call.

Westmeath official Kelly concluded that he should have sent off the Kilruane McDonagh’s player for "behaving in a manner dangerous to an opponent".

O’Meara’s yellow card was upgraded to a red card ‘Category 2’ offence, which carries with it a month’s suspension.

O’Meara, 20, has been ruled out of Tipperary’s first game in the qualifiers, which will be a preliminary round match on June 26 or a first round match proper on July 3.

The July 3 tie would fall outside the four-week ban but in this instance, the player must serve a one-match suspension.

The GAA’s Central Competitions Control Committee (CCCC) have directed referees to red card players for frontal charges.

But Tipperary argued that O’Meara did not execute a frontal charge on O’Neill and was merely late as the Cork player stooped to lift the ball.

Tipperary officials indicated last night, however, that they are unlikely to appeal against O’Meara’s suspension.

This story appeared in the printed version of the Irish Examiner Saturday, June 05, 2010

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,595 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Well at least that is in some way consistent as both Red cards in the Galway game were of a very similar nature.

^^
    If that's the precedent they're setting, then we're going to see a lot of suspensions this summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭dirtyden

A disgraceful decision by Kelly and the GAA. He gave a free for the incident at the time and deemed a yellow card was the necessary punishment. There was not intent from O'Meara although it was a very awkward challenge. Sets a dangerous precedent where now every challenge may be contested after games by county boards etc. If that is what passes for a red card challenge we will be seeing 10 a side games before the end of the year.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,595 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

10 a side ...... would make for very interesting games!!
    Well they have set the precedent and I would expect it will come back to bite them as the season continues. What it means is more pressure on the refs to get it right first time.

Well certainly would open things up might have been the only way we could have won last sunday. I got the impression some pressure must have been put on Barry Kelly by the suits as it seems unusual to have a referee reverse a decision like that. However on the game as a Tipp man it's good to see Cork back again, makes the hurling year much more interesting. Hopefully we will get a second crack at the rebels before the year is out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭c montgomery

An Citeog wrote: »
    Ollie Canning? I really hope you're not talking about Joe because he's definitely not the best in the country yet.

Joe by far is the best player on the Galway team. Top 3 in the country, Joe canning, sheflin, ben o connor.

Joe by far is the best player on the Galway team. Top 3 in the country, Joe canning, sheflin, ben o connor.

Correct and right about Joe Canning, definitely the real deal, I would even almost have him on his own as the best player in the country when on form. Ben and Shefflin not bad other choices for your top three but I'd probably have Tommy Walsh in ahead or at least alongside those two, and hopefully Eoin Kelly (Tipp) again by the middle of september.

dirtyden wrote: »
    Correct and right about Joe Canning, definitely the real deal, I would even almost have him on his own as the best player in the country when on form. Ben and Shefflin not bad other choices for your top three but I'd probably have Tommy Walsh in ahead or at least alongside those two, and hopefully Eoin Kelly (Tipp) again by the middle of september.

He has the potential to be better than all of them but I'd still have the other 4 slightly ahead of him for what they've done at senior championship level with their respective counties. Ollie is the best corner back in the country aswell imo.

• Advertisement

An Citeog wrote: »
    He has the potential to be better than all of them but I'd still have the other 4 slightly ahead of him for what they've done at senior championship level with their respective counties. Ollie is the best corner back in the country aswell imo.

Fair point but going on talent alone I would have him right up there. He has not put in the consistent performances at championship level the others have, but that in my opinion is only a factor of as yet limited opportunity. Ollie Canning is some corner back ok.

Why would you only consider senior championship?

If you look at u-21 and fitzgibbon last few years he been astounding. Not to mention performances with Portumna. Then there was the performance against Cork in 2008 which was also right up there.

Again against Kilkenny last year he was very good. The guy is still only 21.

You may argue the toss on being the best in the country but Shefflin and O'Connor are both the wrong side of 30 so whereas they will be getting a bit worse each year, Canning seems to get a bit better each year.

Anyway the original point was that Glaway are realistic all ireland contenders and I believe that they are very well placed to have a serious crack at Liam this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 cateye

Sure Joe Canning is the most exciting hurler to emerge in years but to rate him as the top hurler in the country when he hasn't even played in a senior all ireland final is a bit much.

There is only one contender and that is Henry followed by Tommy Walsh and then Joe Canning.
    Henry's stats--remember he is only 30 years old.
    Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny) Championship games: 48. Scored: 22-370. From placed balls: 3-258; From open play: 19-112. Average per game: 9.08pts. Average from placed balls: 5.57 pts; Average from open play: 3.52pts. Seven All-Ireland medals; nine All Stars. Two Hurler of the Year awards.

cateye wrote: »
    There is only one contender and that is Henry followed by Tommy Walsh and then Joe Canning.

Isn't that 3

Henry's stats--remember he is only 30 years old.
    Henry Shefflin (Kilkenny) Championship games: 48. Scored: 22-370. From placed balls: 3-258; From open play: 19-112. Average per game: 9.08pts. Average from placed balls: 5.57 pts; Average from open play: 3.52pts. Seven All-Ireland medals; nine All Stars. Two Hurler of the Year awards.

... yeah.... but is he happy?;)

Tradition has alot to do with winning All Irelands. Look at Kilkenny Cork and Tipperary. They have won the most All Irelands amongst them. They always have a variety of good players and win All Irelands from year to year.. Look at Kerrys AI football record as another example. The desire to win is based on previous All Ireland successes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    ... yeah.... but is he happy?;)

He will be happier when he bags another All-Ireland:)

Very hard to call who is best, Shefflin, Canning and O'Connor might get the plaudits in a lot of games because of their scoring all are wonderful sportsmen but for me Tommy Walsh has been the Hurler of the decade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,235 ✭✭✭✭flahavaj

LeoB wrote: »
    He will be happier when he bags another All-Ireland:)

Very hard to call who is best, Shefflin, Canning and O'Connor might get the plaudits in a lot of games because of their scoring all are wonderful sportsmen but for me Tommy Walsh has been the Hurler of the decade.

Bang on, he's been the best hurler in the country for years. In fact he's probably the greatest hurler I've ever seen. I've never once seen him outplayed by his man.

flahavaj wrote: »
    Bang on, he's been the best hurler in the country for years. In fact he's probably the greatest hurler I've ever seen. I've never once seen him outplayed by his man.

Niall Mac in a certain All-Ireland final. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

flahavaj wrote: »

...except of course by Benny Dunne in last years final...

...oh wait... :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement