Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork vs. Tipperary Senior Munster Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Options
  • 08-05-2010 10:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Official Match Thread. Any other match threads will be nuked by Blackbelt at my bidding. :pac:

Corkcrest.png vs. TIPPERARY%20CREST.jpg

Date: 30.05.10 (Sun)

Time: 4 00 PM

Venue:

pairc-ui-chaoimh.jpg

aka "some ****ehole in Cork City" or "if you want your knees to work beyond 30 you better go to the terraces cos Frank's a penny pinching bollocks".

Referee: TBC

Extra-time if necessary.

Cork
    1. Donal Og Cusack (Cloyne)
    2. Shane O'Neill (Bishopstown)
    3. Eoin Cadogan (Douglas)
    4. Brian Murphy (Bride Rovers)
    5. John Gardiner (Na Piarsaigh)
    6. Ronan Curran (St. Finbarr's)
    7. Sean Og Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)
    8. Tom Kenny (Grenagh)
    9. Cathal Naughton (Newtownshandrum)
    10. Ben O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)
    11. Jerry O'Connor (Newtownshandrum)
    12. Niall McCarthy (Carrigtwohill)
    13. Kieran Murphy (Sarsfields) - Captain
    14. Aisake Ó hAilpín (Na Piarsaigh)
    15. Patrick Horgan (Glen Rovers)

Injuries: Eoin Cadogan (doubtful), Niall MacCarthy (probable) Michael Cussen (unlikely), Chris McGann (unlikely), Pa Cronin (unlikely).

Star Players: Ummm...uhhhh...ahhh...is Jimmy Barry-Murphy still playing? No? Joe Deane then... he's retired as well? The Glen lad with the enormous conk so...

3692134374_452fded98d.jpg

Cork's best chance of winning: Hoping Liam Sheedy has a brain fart and starts Michael Webster and Benny Dunne. Alternatively, the resurection of a 28 year old Christy Ring might help.

Tipp

B. Cummins
    P. Stapleton
    P. Maher
    P. Curran
    D. Fanning
    C. O'Mahony
    M. Cahill
    S. McGrath
    B. Maher
    N. NcGrath
    S. Callinan
    J. O'Brien
    E. Kelly
    B. O'Meara
    L. Corbett

Injuries: Paul Kelly (definite), James Woodlock (definite), Gearoid Ryan (doubtful).

Star Players: Lar Corbett, Noel McGrath, Seamus Callinan, all of their forwards really, but we'll go for the irrepresible...

eoinkelly_2008_offaly.JPG

Tipp's best chance of winning: Turning up.

Previous 5 Meetings:

2009: Tipperary 1-19 Cork 0-19 (Munster 1st round)
    2008: Cork 1-13 Tipperary 1-19 (Munster SF)
    2007: Tipperary 2-16 Cork 1-18 (Qualifiers)
    2006: Tipperary 1-14 Cork 2-14 (Munster final)
    2005: Cork 1-21 Tipperary 1-16 (Munster final)

Prediction: Tipp to physically dominate for 60 minutes before easing off and letting Cork put up a respectable scoreline. Tipp by 3-4 points.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Need:

-> Full list of Tipp injuries.

-> Tipp's probable team.

-> Last five league/championship meetings between both teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I think Cussen (if he's not recovered) will be a major loss for Cork. His fielding against Galway was impressive and claiming primary possession will be key against Tipp. At the moment Aisake couldn't catch a cold, yet he caught the first four balls that were sent into him against Tipp, so Padraig Maher will need to be on best form. Tipp were sluggish at times in the league game, but with a full complement on board for the championship i expect them to come through with a goal to spare. Anything else would be a major upset.

Cussen was pretty mediocre at wing-forward imo, his man got a hold of him pretty quickly. He is a full-forward, if he is that.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

Orizio wrote: »
    Cussen was pretty mediocre at wing-forward imo, his man got a hold of him pretty quickly. He is a full-forward, if he is that.
    Well i agree that it would serve Cork better to put him in around the square. I think he's got much more hurling ability than Aisake. He got two lovely points against Galway and is still young.

Official Match Thread. Any other match threads will be nuked by Blackbelt at my bidding. :pac:

Corkcrest.png vs. TIPPERARY%20CREST.jpg

Date: 30.05.10 (Sun)

Time: 4 00 PM

Venue:

pairc-ui-chaoimh.jpg

aka "some ****ehole in Cork City" or "if you want your knees to work beyond 30 you better go to the terraces cos Frank's a penny pinching bollocks".

Referee: TBC

Extra-time if necessary.

Cork

Definite Team: TBC

Probable Team:

Donal Og Cusack

Shane O'Neill
    Eoin Cadogan
    Brian Murphy

John Gardiner
    Ronan Curran
    Sean Og hAilpin

Jerry O'Connor
    Tom Kenny

Cathal Naughton
    Niall McCarthy
    Ben O'Connor

Pa Horgan
    Aisake Og hAilpin
    Kieran 'Fraggie' Murphy (Captain)

Injuries: Eoin Cadogan (doubtful), Niall MacCarthy (probable) Michael Cussen (unlikely), Chris McGann (unlikely), Pa Cronin (unlikely).

Star Players: Ummm...uhhhh...ahhh...is Jimmy Barry-Murphy still playing? No? Joe Deane then... he's retired as well? The Glen lad with the enormous conk so...

3692134374_452fded98d.jpg

Cork's best chance of winning: Hoping Liam Sheedy has a brain fart and starts Michael Webster and Benny Dunne. Alternatively, the resurection of a 28 year old Christy Ring might help.

Tipp

Definite Team: TBC

Probable Team:

Injuries: Paul Kelly (doubtful), Gearoid Ryan (doubtful).

Star Players: Lar Corbett, Noel McGrath, Seamus Callinan, all of their forwards really, but we'll go for the irrepresible...

eoinkelly_2008_offaly.JPG

Tipp's best chance of winning: Turning up.

Prediction: Tipp to physically dominate for 60 minutes before easing off and letting Cork put up a respectable scoreline. Tipp by 3-4 points.

Your saying we only have to turn up yet you only have a Tipp win by 3 or 4 points? to be honest i think it will be cracking game and cork are due a win on us. i hope it wont be may 30th. a solitary point will segregate the two. which side will it be, your guess as good as mine. id take a point or half a point win any day of the week in any game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Probable Tipp team:

1. Brendan Cummins
    2. Paddy Stapleton
    3. Pádraic Maher
    4. Paul Curran
    5. Declan Fanning
    6. Conor O'Mahoney
    7. Shane Maher (not a cert)
    8. Brendan Maher
    9. Shane McGrath
    10. Pat Kerwick (or Gearoid Ryan if fit)
    11. Seamus Callanan
    12. Lar Corbett
    13. Noel McGrath
    14. Eoin Kelly
    15. Timmy Hammersley

That's the team I think will line out. Johnno Brien may start in place of Festy Kerwick as he is still only coming back from injury.

Tipp have been ravaged with injuries this year so I'm not too confident going into this game. Playing Cork in the Pairc is difficult at the best of times, even more so that that key players like Kelly, along with newcomers like Jody Brennan (out for 3 weeks a while ago), Festy (out for about a month), Gearoid Ryan (Broken finger, still not back) have missed a few weeks training. Along with Paul Kelly and James Woodlock who are both out for the season. Tipp will do very well to beat this Cork team.

Tipp have only beating Cork once in seventy odd years in Cork (and that was the last time the two teams played down there). Are Tipp going for 3 in a row over Cork or is it 4?

Who is Fest Looder? And Eoin Kelly is doubtful for the match as well? And who is the Tipp captain?

Tipp_Gunner, Cork have no chance of winning this game bar an awful performance by Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Here's the last 6 Championship meetings:

2004: Cork 2-19 Tipperary 1-16 (Qualifiers)

Almost unbelievable to think this'll be the 7th year in a row these sides are meeting in the summer.

Tipp_Gunner, Cork have no chance of winning this game bar an awful performance by Tipp.

Bull crap. ye had a bad game against Galway last week granted but will be fired up esp in PuC.
    Expect a very close game. Ye are better this year then last, and were unlucky against us last year considering the hit yer'e preparations took.
    When Cork and Tipperary meet its never foregone. Why would you open a discussion about this game if you didn't believe deep down that cork had a fighting chance?

looder fairly spot on with that Tipp team but i reckon maybe John O'Brien will play instead of Hammersley in full fwd line. Hammersley was poor in cork back in April. Mikey Heffernan could also sneak in there.

I think festy will start but gearoid ryan will show at some stage.

I think it'd be foolish of anyone to write off Cork tbh, especially one that just reached an NHL final and are playing at home against what's been an inconsistent Tipp team so far this year. I honestly haven't a clue which way this one's going to go, but something is telling me deep down that, just maybe, the Rebels might pull this one out of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

I have to agree. First match in any championship year is notoriously hard to call. Cork had a good run out last week - played at a league pace I feel, while Galway did put in a more Championship performance. I expect a better, more focused performance from Cork against Tipp, the championship tends to do that. I do no think Tipp are as good as people seem to think they are. If Asaike can win the same amount of ball as he did the last time aginst Tipp AND offload it properly - we could get a few goals, something we are notoriously not capable of doing. We will still knock over a rake of points as we normally do, so we will be there or there abouts and I believe could make a great start to the summer campaign.

I must have been the only person who watched Cork's midfield, center back and full back line get cleaned out last Sunday.

I must have been the only person who watched Cork's midfield, center back and full back line get cleaned out last Sunday.

And our forward's were well ****e as well. As was Donal.

I must have been the only team who watched Cork's midfield, center back and full back line get cleaned out last Sunday.

One match does not make a bad team, but if you want to talk specifics of the Tipp team looder named above, 10 of those started against Dublin and got played off the park left right and centre. But we all know it'll have very little bearing on their Championship form and the Cork match will probably have the same effect. We all know Galway are notoriously difficult to face in the league anyway.

There's a certain sense of deja vu here as well. In 2004 Waterford played Galway in the NHL final and got destroyed far worse than the 5 point margin suggests. One week later we faced Clare and beat them by 19. I'm not saying Cork are nailed on to win this, if Tipp stroll through I still wouldn't be surprised either, but really anything could happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭looder

Who is Fest Looder? And Eoin Kelly is doubtful for the match as well? And who is the Tipp captain?

Festy is Pat Kerwick.

Eoin Kelly done his hamstring against Offally I think. He was back playing with his club last weekend but was no where near fit. He could struggle on May 30th as he's still not back doing full training in Thurles.

Eoin is also captain this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭TheSpecialOne

Think Cork will catch the Tipp Boys!A Munster final Place is the reward like which is a quarter final place minimum(The winners of this will maul Limerick).Should be a cracking game and i fancy cork to win by 3 points!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Before the Galway game I would have given Cork a great chance against Tipp, I'm not so sure now. The League final was the first game this Cork team have played close to championship pace and alot of cracks were really shown, well beaten midfield, Sean Og way off the pace, Brian Murphy poor and pretty much all the forwards were well beaten.

Still we went to Thurles last year in a way worse state and we really should have won so if the pace and intensity can be cranked up in the next few weeks we'll still be in a fighting change. As for a team I'd go for:

Donal Og
    Shane Murphy - Eoin Cadogan - Brian Murphy
    John Gardiner - Ronan Curran - Shane O'Neill
    Tom Kenny - Cathal Naughton
    Ben O'Connor - Niall McCarthy - Michael Cussen
    Kieran Murphy - Aisake O'Hailpin - Patrick Horgan

Depending on how Sean Og is doing in training maybe he comes in and Shane O'Neill drops back for Shane Murphy.

Cussen's out, and he isn't a wing forward. Shane O'Neill will play corner back, guaranteed. With this in mind, Mike Walsh will probably come in at midfield or on the center back line.

BTW, will you be tweeting updates during Thursday's Minor match?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,455 ✭✭✭FastFullBack

Yikes I forgot about Cussens injury.

Not sure about twitter updates from the minor football game. I'm not actually updating the site myself, I'm just helping out. I'll let ya know when I know more.

Daysha wrote: »
    One match does not make a bad team,

And Galway last year. And Kilkenny the year before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Same old problems for Tipp...

Need a partner for Shane McGrath at mid field, need a ball winning centre forward, surely Kelly wont be left in full forward?

Having said that they sould be too strong for Cork,

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Daysha wrote: »
    Here's the last 6 Championship meetings:

2004: Cork 2-19 Tipperary 1-16 (Qualifiers)

Almost unbelievable to think this'll be the 7th year in a row these sides are meeting in the summer.

Jesus only realised that now myself good spot.

Cork-Tipp was always a game my Dad talked about when I was kid becuase I never witnessed one between 93-99 when they did not meet in championship.

1991 was first one I was at remember Cork had big leads in both the drawn and replay in Thurles at half time but let both slip. I remember the Tipp fans running onto the pitch also, hard to believe its 19 years ago,

One my favourite memories was being in Blackrock end in 1992 and Babs Keating was behind the goals with few minutes to go Cork were winning well and all Cork crowd started to do Donkey noises in memory of his famous quote about us from 1990. Of course only being a ten year old I taught it was funny and of course joined in the banter. Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭JamieK

adrian522 wrote: »
    Same old problems for Tipp...

Need a partner for Shane McGrath at mid field, need a ball winning centre forward, surely Kelly wont be left in full forward?

Having said that they sould be too strong for Cork,

If we don't have a partner for McGrath midfield after that league campaign then could you tell me what Brendan Maher was at? He was one of our most influential players this campaign in my eyes and when he came off injured against Cork the game completely changed!!

Eoin Kelly has to stay full forward to be fair...the legs aren't what they once were but still would be madness to move him from where he has most effect! Just my opinion though.

The only major decision that would have to be made is with regard to the half forward line...pulling names out of a hat would nearly be as effective rather than trying to make a choice between Johnno, Festy and Ryan! :(

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Hate to say it, but I have to agree with orizo. Even during the bad times the Cork half back line and midfield were solid, but Galway took them to the cleaners in the league final, I've never seen them so utterly destroyed.

So we have weak backs a weak midfield and weak forwards, Tipp should relax and start worrying about Limerick on june 20th!

Hate to say it, but I have to agree with orizo. Even during the bad times the Cork half back line and midfield were solid, but Galway took them to the cleaners in the league final, I've never seen them so utterly destroyed.

So we have weak backs a weak midfield and weak forwards, Tipp should relax and start worrying about Waterford!

Fixed. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sonic boom

tipp never get an easy game in the park, EVER. and this time will be no different in my opinion. vesty is the man for wing forward, decent in the air, has great pace and his awareness and shooting are improving. just the man to trouble sean og whos not too og anymore :D

Tom Kenny tore his hamstring, out for match.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭deisedude

What do the Cork lads on here make of Dillon? I presume he'll be full back fot the Tipp game if Cadogan is out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭dartbhoy

deisedude wrote: »
    What do the Cork lads on here make of Dillon? I presume he'll be full back fot the Tipp game if Cadogan is out

Dillon is a good full back and will give 100% every game. I thought he done ok against Canning in the League final and if Cadogan is out for the Tipp game i think Dillon should take the full back position. Some supporters would disagree with me and say Dillon is only on the team because of his fellow clubman Pat Buckley been a selector so he won't be the preferred choice by some supporters.

• Advertisement

deisedude wrote: »

Chris Murphy is a better option back there, more versality with more experience and better feet. After that, I probably would have had Dara McSweeney and Darragh Rodgers (out injured for the year tbf) ahead of Dillon. The latter's feet and hurling are probably too slow for this level.

In reality, the Cork management cocked up during the league regarding this position (and a few others) - Eoin Cadogan is a wing-back not a full-back, they gave Brian Murphy a go and he was dreadful (he is woefully out of form), they also half-tried David Cunningham at 3, despite being a very mediocre player and then jettisoned him and brought in Dillon out of the blue despite the fact that he has played the bulk of his hurling over the past few years in every position on the pitch other then full-back.

Advertisement