Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cork vs. Tipperary Senior Munster Hurling Championship Quarter-Final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Where is premierview these days? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Did not see Cork winning this by such huge margin.

The summer has really started today.

Up the Rebels

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Forgive me O Cork Hurlers, for I hath doubted thee. :pac:

Half back line looked back to their best, Cadogen has cemented his position at full back. What impressed me most though was Denis Walsh and the gameplan Cork used which was tailored just for Tipp, Sheedy seriously beaten on the sideline.

It's important that Cork be flexible in how they play in the coming games, Aisake won't always be as dominant and the opposition management won't freeze like Sheedy did.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭mysillyusername

A bit of surprise that Cork were so dominant in this game. I am very surprised though that Tip had no game plan to counteract

* the short puck-out...It wasn't as if they knew it wasn't going to happen
    *A 6' 7 full forward
    * When O'Hailipin was sitting very close to the Tipp goal by himself.

Surely if Tipp rate themselves to win an All-Ireland they should be able to counteract such ploys...

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭Colm R

Question: Are Kilkenny happy,indifferent or worried with yesterdays result?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Before Sunday's game I genuinely thought Tipp would run out winners by at least 5 points. Oh I was wrong and very wrong! Cork kept going for the whole 70 minutes. At half time, I thought they had hurled well but the score board didn't reflect the same and I expected Tipp to come out in the second half and up it a few gears but Cork simply did not let them. Well done Cork :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Colm R wrote: »
    They don't worry about any team. They play their own game and will always.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

As a Corkman yesterday was a great day down the Pairc, I really enjoyed it.
    I admit this Cork team have not won too many friends outside Cork over the last few years (or inside Cork for that matter) but it was good to see them get back to what they are actually supposed to be doing at last;playing hurling.
    In fairness to them they proved they can walk the walk as well as talk the talk but it's a bit premature to talk about us beating KK. We may not even get to play them;we are only in the Munster semi-final after all!
    We have to treat all opponents with due respect (yes, even an under-strength Limerick).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

Very enjoyable yesterday up at the Blackrock End. Not as vocal as times gone by.

Few points from my viewpoint:

1. Cork full forward line wasnt working hard enough in the 1st half. They had to up the tempo for the 2nd half....and they did...thankfully Asiake O'H started working. 1st half he looked like Ibrahimovic...just lazy and the crowd were getting annoyed. But fair play to them they did up the work rate.

2. Bit concerned about Cork's obsession with going sideways. Some more brute force directness through the centre could be introduced into their game.

3. Defence was outstanding particularly in the 1st half especially when the Tipp backs were breaking out too easily. In fact they were making up for the forwards poorer work rate.

4. Cadogan was Man of the Match IMO but then again O'Halpin was the difference on the score board.

5. The worst performance came from the Umpires. Bunch of old lads in cloud cuckoo land....they ruled a blatant point for Tipp wide (was overruled) and Cummins clearly caught the ball over the crossbar and nothing was given. Should have been a point for Cork.

6. Very surprised to see Tipp simply giving up yesterday when it was put up to them. They showed no bottle and if I was a Tipp fan I would be disgusted.

7. This Cork team have a lot of work to do if it plans on being around in September. Too often Tipp read Cork's intentions too easily and Cork were a little predictable but the sheer determination and work rate (and lack of application from Tipp) made up for it. This didnt come across in the Sunday Game highlights.

8. It's not even June. Lets not get carried away. Tipp will never play this cowardly (strong word but that's what it looked like) again.

Well done Cork BUT alot of improving is needed.

Colm R wrote: »

Indifferent I'd imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

1. Cork full forward line wasnt working hard enough in the 1st half. They had to up the tempo for the 2nd half....and they did...thankfully Asiake O'H started working. 1st half he looked like Ibrahimovic...just lazy and the crowd were getting annoyed. But fair play to them they did up the work rate.

I was at the Bloackrock end (the Tipp goals) for the 1st half and I have to say that this is not what I saw at all. Aisake set up both goals and on at least 5 occasions managed to get the ball as it came in towards the goal from the halfway line. He played a better game in the 2nd half but he definitely wasn't lazy in the first half.

Also, Cadogen had a fantastic game, a great player.

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Rebelkell

I don't want to jump the gun but it looks like Cork are going to win the double again this year:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Rebelkell wrote: »
    I don't want to jump the gun but it looks like Cork are going to win the double again this year:)

:eek: Nope, no gun-jumping there at all!

Dermighty wrote: »
    I was at the Bloackrock end (the Tipp goals) for the 1st half and I have to say that this is not what I saw at all. Aisake set up both goals and on at least 5 occasions managed to get the ball as it came in towards the goal from the halfway line. He played a better game in the 2nd half but he definitely wasn't lazy in the first half.

Also, Cadogen had a fantastic game, a great player.

In fairness, I did say Cadogan was my man of the match and that Aisake made all the difference in the score board...so I hope you are not having a go...

On mature reflection, "lazy" might have been the wrong word to use.:o

Rebelkell wrote: »

Cheers lad....way to down play the double talk..:)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Orizio wrote: »
    Indifferent I'd imagine.

Correct, but we will be hoping Cork win Munster now because if they were to lose a Munster final that would probably mean the loser of the 'Leinster' final playing Tipp (assuming they get that far)

Its opened things up certainly, From a KK point of view I'd be more worried about Galway then either Cork or Tipp at this point.

adrian522 wrote: »
    Correct, but we will be hoping Cork win Munster now because if they were to lose a Munster final that would probably mean the loser of the 'Leinster' final playing Tipp (assuming they get that far)

Its opened things up certainly, From a KK point of view I'd be more worried about Galway then either Cork or Tipp at this point.

I'd second that. Tipp will be back no doubt. One bad game doesnt write off their entire summer.

Cork have plenty to improve on and wont win Liam with that performance and IMHO it was more a case of Tipp not turning up than Cork playing magical and outstanding hurling that simply blew Tipp away. Tipp just didnt seem to want to fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,971 ✭✭✭teednab-el

. Tipp just didnt seem to want to fight.

Come on! Cork destroyed Tipperary yesterday, Tipp couldnt do nothing about and were beaten by a far superior team performance. It wasnt a matter that Tipp didnt want to fight, It was a matter of Tipp not being left fight by this Cork performance! Call a spade a spade.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭rebel.ranter

Would anyone from a Cork point of view be worried that it was only 4 scores in it really (albeit 3 were goals)? Maybe that is over thinking the whole thing though....
    I still think they are not Kilkenny beaters yet though & now the covers are off the Aisake route 1.
    Had a great day down the Pairc though except for the bruised shins today!

The H+F make the summer & we are lucky in Cork to have two half chances most years, roll on the rest of the summer!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Would anyone from a Cork point of view be worried that it was only 4 scores in it really (albeit 3 were goals)? Maybe that is over thinking the whole thing though....
    I still think they are not Kilkenny beaters yet though & now the covers are off the Aisake route 1.
    Had a great day down the Pairc though except for the bruised shins today!

The H+F make the summer & we are lucky in Cork to have two half chances most years, roll on the rest of the summer!

No, I'm delighted about it. Tipp came back to one point behind, three minutes into the second half, but look how Cork pulled away during the rest of the game. Goals win games. Cork got three, and Tipp were denied by twp excellent saves from Donal Og and an excellent block from Brian Murphy. Over the years, when Cork won the two AI back to back, the huge thing was a lack of a goal threat (only Ben), whereas now Aisake, Hoggie and Ben are genuine goal threats.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,066 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

No, I'm delighted about it. Tipp came back to one point behind, three minutes into the second half, but look how Cork pulled away during the rest of the game. Goals win games. Cork got three, and Tipp were denied by twp excellent saves from Donal Og and an excellent block from Brian Murphy. Over the years, when Cork won the two AI back to back, the huge thing was a lack of a goal threat (only Ben), whereas now Aisake, Hoggie and Ben are genuine goal threats.

Good point. Over the years we never really had a player who could score 2-3 goals in game. Bu these lads look like they can least tally a good score between them. Although they still have much to prove yet.

Away from that I think we Cork folk have remember its long way to AI still. We wont get it as easy again from Tipp if we meet them again in semi final or final(if lucky to get to it)

But you can only beat what is in front of you and on that note I am delighted that least we look like we can challenge for the AI.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭Reginald P. DuM

aisake won't be a goal threat against KK.. Noel Hickey will cut the arm off him if he sticks it up in the air.. Which is what Maher should have done last Sunday.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

And theres me thinking Hickey was a good hurler..... and all this time he was only a lumberjack.....silly me!;)

• Registered Users Posts: 345 ✭✭Pappy o' daniel

Reading the papers this morning and it seems Tipp are taking the defeat very badly, Babs and Micheal Cleary both with very dismal predictions for the future of Tipp.

I think a bit of perspective is needed, they'll have a couple of easy games to settle them down before they face one of the big guns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 52 ✭✭sonic boom

Orizio wrote: »
    Indifferent I'd imagine.

nah theyre not indifferent. i work down there and they are laughing at cork celebrating winning the 1st round of the munster championship as if they won the all ireland.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,547 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

sonic boom wrote: »
    nah theyre not indifferent. i work down there and they are laughing at cork celebrating winning the 1st round of the munster championship as if they won the all ireland.

Had they been in the same situation - lost a lge final, several of the players had been written off and facing a team that very nearly won the last AI and then beating them by 10 points - I can assure you, they would have been celebrating aswell.
    But of course they are not. They are going for 5 in a row..... but there was a ... long time ago admittedly....when KK were struggling for form and would have celebrated such a win..... and if the shoe was on the other foot, we Cork people would have been having a little giggle at KK - oh how I long for those days to return!:)

Not over the hammering yet then Sonicboom?

aisake won't be a goal threat against KK.. Noel Hickey will cut the arm off him if he sticks it up in the air.. Which is what Maher should have done last Sunday.

Difference is Hickey and his teammates would get away with it whereas our lads wouldn't.
    Not over the hammering yet then Sonicboom?

Dont be so stupid! No tipperary person was under any illusions about this game. weve won once in the park in 85 years which is a very unwelcome stat.

Its naturally disappointing losing any game be it to Cork, Kilkenny, Clare, Dublin, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Wexford, Offaly or whoever else .

To beat a strong hurling county like Cork four years on the spin is a tall order any day. It will always be a nip and tuck fixture. We've seen the bad days in Tipp hurling but wont fall apart just yet.
    You on the other hand didn't give your county a chance after the league final despite everyone on the contrary and including many Tipp fans on this forum playing it down. Also this is gonna be one hell of a championship. Any one of 5 teams can win it, Tipp, Cork, Kilkenny, Galway and even Waterford have a shout

I think Tipp will bounce back from this. Expect a big summer ahead :)

aisake won't be a goal threat against KK.. Noel Hickey will cut the arm off him if he sticks it up in the air..

Thats if Hickey can swing that high!

• Advertisement

Remember Sonic from 1999-2009, Cork are the only team that have beaten KK in an All-Ireland final twice. They also got desperately close in 2003 and were not too far off them in 2006. In 2008 they also gave KK a bit of a fright eventhough there team was in disarray and caught up with the strike at that time. If Cork begin to look good again, KK will be worried believe me!

Advertisement