Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You are not a f*cking DJ. You’re an overpaid, untalented, cake-throwing c*nt.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

There ya go. First search. :) 2005 too

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/mar2005/nia-16.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,401 ✭✭✭jtsuited

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Seriously? You have never heard that? I've heard/read it loads of times. Must try and Google it, although not sure what the source will be.

I have heard of it but it was from somebody who thinks everything causes cancer and that sugar pills can cure AIDS. But genuinely never read it.

There ya go. First search. :) 2005 too

http://www.nih.gov/news/pr/mar2005/nia-16.htm
    obviously a load of obese people croaking in their forties is going to effect the mean life expectancy of a nation (made up of a significant amount of morbidly obese people).

• Subscribers Posts: 8,322 ✭✭✭Scubadevils

And I'm not saying, nor did I anywhere that its a simple as meat bad, veg good - its about the process involved and how animals are now bred for food production. Its also about the balance in diet and avoiding the vast amounts of processed food. The Michael Pollan book or video sums it up best from what I can see in terms of the balanced diet approach. I don't think anyone is arguing that, just really jumping on the fact that I mentioned meat.

How about smoking? Do many here smoke? If so why continue knowing full well the damage it causes? Its an aside maybe but seeing as we are on the subject of cancer and also given the mention earlier of the stupidity of people when it comes to tabloids.

jtsuited wrote: »
    obviously a load of obese people croaking in their forties is going to effect the mean life expectancy of a nation (made up of a significant amount of morbidly obese people).
    Eh yeah, and that's the point.

• Advertisement

And on the subject of obesity, all you need do is take a stroll around any public area at the weekend and see the obvious levels all around - is it simply over-eating and lack of exercise causing this? Genuine question as its something of interest to me but I'm no authority on the subject - just what I observe and what information is available to me online etc.

Eh yeah, and that's the point.

you said 'we're the first generation'. As far as I know (and I'm not an epidemiologist or anything like it), the obesity in the US issue was based on a trend, and doesn't really have too much to do with Europe.

How about smoking? Do many here smoke? If so why continue knowing full well the damage it causes? Its an aside maybe but seeing as we are on the subject of cancer and also given the mention earlier of the stupidity of people when it comes to tabloids.

Have you seen this?
    F4.large.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,111 ✭✭✭joker77

Here what I believe to be true (was going to say it's my take, but it's probably not really, it's probably more opinions I've formed after reading on the subject). We as humans were not meant to live as long as we are living now. Back in the day (caveman and all) I'd say you'd be lucky to live past 40 yea? So our brains work in such a way that we only really assess risk in the short to medium term - 'Is this thing I'm putting in my mouth going to kill me tomorrow?', is something going to poison us, does living next to a swamp mean I'm going to get eaten alive by flies every year... stuff like that (ran out of examples pretty quick there didn't I?).
    So we don't really think in the long term, and so don't really see cigarettes as that much of a risk.

I'm a smoker. I don't smoke much now - I'm weak after a feed of pints or some recreationals and will have a couple, but don't smoke generally that much any more. I curse myself after I do. But I concede I'm a smoker, I've smoked full time for nearly half my life, it's an addiction that's always going to be with me (I think anyway, unless I give up drinking and the rest).

I'd love to never smoke again on the one hand, on the other - I really enjoy the little fúckers when I'm off my head...

but again, what are they putting into processed food that makes it so bad? You know that thing about 'processed vegetables have lost all their vitamins' is a myth right?

btw, the worst thing they put in processed food IS a preservative. This thing severely increases your risk of stroke, heart attack, and a billion other things. It's sodium chloride.

My take (from a consumers perspective) on processed food is the difference between lets say locally farmed fresh chicken and chicken that contains a sh1t load of ingredients the typical person has never heard of - chicken that is only actually 50% chicken with lots of other ingredients and has a shelf life of several days/weeks rather than just 2 or 3 for fresh food.

• Advertisement

And on the subject of obesity, all you need do is take a stroll around any public area at the weekend and see the obvious levels all around - is it simply over-eating and lack of exercise causing this? Genuine question as its something of interest to me but I'm no authority on the subject - just what I observe and what information is available to me online etc.

We're fine in Ireland as far as I know (with regards obesity etc.). The U.S genuinely have a massive massive problem on their hands at the moment.

The reason for it is simply that we have made food cheap and plentiful. We don't have to hunt (we're built for that), we don't have to walk or run (again we're built for it) so basically we have it so easy that over-abundance and the comfort of modern society is taking its toll on our bodies which evolved for a completely different environment.

you said 'we're the first generation'. As far as I know (and I'm not an epidemiologist or anything like it), the obesity in the US issue was based on a trend, and doesn't really have too much to do with Europe.
    Well I thought it was implied I wasn't necessarily talking about just Ireland but first world countries in general. We won't be long catching up with the USA anyway. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

chicken that is only actually 50% chicken with lots of other ingredients and has a shelf life of several days/weeks rather than just 2 or 3 for fresh food.

the other 50% is normally made up of water. and/or connective tissue (which they're not allowed call chicken meat afaik).
    and the rest is salt to preserve it for the days/weeks.

I wouldn't say we've a huge problem with people being morbidly obese, but we're definitely a 'fat' country.

Well I thought it was implied I wasn't necessarily talking about just Ireland but first world countries in general. We won't be long catching up with the USA anyway. http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/hea_obe-health-obesity

hmmm......I doubt it, as the US problem is very very culturally specific. IIRC, the prevalence of fast food outlets in poor areas was counted as one of the biggest contributing factor to their obesity problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

ya im 90kg and only 5'10. not good

Have you seen this?
    F4.large.jpg

No I hadn't seen that, but all it tells me is that its best to never smoke, good to give up as early as possible and worst to continue smoking. No matter how you want to justify it, smoking is not good for you and will be detrimental to life - both from a health and cost perspective. And I'm the worst kind as an ex-smoker - coming from 30 a day for several years.

But I'll admit to indulging in a few when in scenarios where I'm not operating on full mental capacity in terms of will power! Thats another debate though.

joker77 wrote: »
    I wouldn't say we've a huge problem with people being morbidly obese, but we're definitely a 'fat' country.

maybe so.....but in health risk terms there is a world of difference between being a couple of stone overweight (as many of us in Ireland are) and being 'American 30+ stone, buckets of fried chicken for breakfast, washing with a rag on a stick' morbidly obese.

Btw, if any of you have travelled to the states for more than a few days and not put on weight, Lord Bless ya.

Which sort of brings me back to it being a very culturally specific thing.

Yea I know, morbidly obese shaves several decades rather than several years off your life expectancy.

Have never been to that strange country called the United States. There's a whole lot of reasons I'd never want to go. But New York is a pull, have to admit

Yeah I absolutely see the difference between the weight issue in the US and Ireland, but it doesn't change the fact that a large % from what I can see around me are overweight and look unhealthy - not just from a weight perspective but also overall appearance and fitness levels.

And on the subject of the US, I've only been twice and one of the things that stuck me the most was the overall size of people plus the crazy sizes of food portions served.

• Advertisement

btw, the number one factor that effects your life expectancy (bar congenital disease) is............drumroll..............
    social class.

but politicians ain't gonna mention that. EVER.

Yea I know, morbidly obese shaves several decades rather than several years off your life expectancy.

Have never been to that strange country called the United States. There's a whole lot of reasons I'd never want to go. But New York is a pull, have to admit

Yeah I've never been to New York but have that same desire to see it. We were going to go just over 7 years ago but that changed when the pregnancy kit showed a positive result!

Yeah I absolutely see the difference between the weight issue in the US and Ireland, but it doesn't change the fact that a large % from what I can see around me are overweight and look unhealthy - not just from a weight perspective but also overall appearance and fitness levels.
    ah yeah a good few of us are bloaters (meself included) but not significantally enough to not outweigh the massive life expectancy lengthening we get from Western Medicine.

Snap on the NY / pregnancy thing....

And on the subject of the US, I've only been twice and one of the things that stuck me the most was the overall size of people plus the crazy sizes of food portions served.

I was in New York a few years back. I was a vegetarian, ran 10k a day and weighed 10 and a half stone (for a man of 6'3 that's clinically underweight). I was there for two weeks and nearly put on 2 stone.

I spent the first day trying to eat healthily and then since it was far more effort than it was worth just completely let loose.

Surely in New York it wouldn't be difficult to eat healthy? (I have a completely TV frame of reference here by the way...)

Surely in New York it wouldn't be difficult to eat healthy? (I have a completely TV frame of reference here by the way...)

I was in the middle of manhattan and there were two subway sandwiches on the same block as us, 1 dunkin donuts, some awesomely dodgy 'diner' and a few other places. Not one of them could have been counted as 'healthy' by any stretch of the imagination.

Now granted there are plenty of healthy places to eat, it's just that the amount of non-healthy and delicious places all over the place make it very difficult to find them!!

oh and if you don't have much money in the states, fast-food makes a hell of a lot more economic sense than pretty much anything else.

Yea I suppose the key word there is delicious. Bad food just tastes so damn good.

• Advertisement

here's an ethical conundrum for ya since we're on the subject.

In the next 10-15 years they WILL develop the perfect slimming pill (as in negligible side effects etc.).
    A few people will go mental saying that it will be a step too far etc., but lately I've been thinking it's merely a man-made technological solution to a man-made technological problem. Discuss.....

Advertisement