Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New restaurants for D15!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,545 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

+0.5 for Wagamamas. Like having a nice Japanese place just a hop of the 270 down the road, although I'd prefer a Yamamoris tbh...
    Location is a little odd though being in the retail park. I mean every other restaurant is either in the centre or in a dedicated building around the outside of it (like TGI's, KFC and the McDs drive-through)
    They had an excellent deal on Wed nights, €15 for any 8oz steak (I think), as well as specials on other weekdays. This may have been for April only, though. Place was really busy when I was there.

Had the steak on a lava rock, sounded a bit gimicky but was delicious. The only issue is that the ventilation in the restaurant isn't great, so if lots of people have sizzling steak at their table it gets a bit smokey. Very good overall, would definitely go back.

I think I noticed some of their weekday deals, but we were there on a Sunday night so full price.

Steak on a stone is a little expensive for what you get, I'm sure they tack a few quid on for the gimmick of it all. And yes, it does get very smokey with even just the one that we had at our table, so they might want to get a fan or two up to deal with them, especially if many people order them around the same time.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Captain America's and Wagamama are a welcome addition to Blanch.:)

IMO the food on offer at CA's is far superior to TGI Fridays. I eat in CAs in Grafton St quite often and have never been disappointed with their fare. TGI Fridays, on the other hand, is hit and miss with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

JupiterKid wrote: »
    Captain America's and Wagamama are a welcome addition to Blanch.:)

IMO the food on offer at CA's is far superior to TGI Fridays. I eat in CAs in Grafton St quite often and have never been disappointed with their fare. TGI Fridays, on the other hand, is hit and miss with me.

I find TGI's consistently average....

On the other hand I find CA's burgers to be very poor, I think they are premade in the kitchen and they just get assembled as the orders come in.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

I find TGI's consistently average....

+1

TGI has gone rapidly downhill in the last few years, deep fried, over cooked grizzle IMHO.. reminds me of Uncie Moes Feedbag where they just dip the whole tray into the vat of greese..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

They had an excellent deal on Wed nights, €15 for any 8oz steak (I think), as well as specials on other weekdays. This may have been for April only, though. Place was really busy when I was there.

Had the steak on a lava rock, sounded a bit gimicky but was delicious. The only issue is that the ventilation in the restaurant isn't great, so if lots of people have sizzling steak at their table it gets a bit smokey. Very good overall, would definitely go back.

Went there last night on the strength of peoples posts here and found it to be very good in food quality and taste, but a bit expensive. They have a 50% off wine monday and tuesday, and the 15 euro steak is wednesday and thursday. In which you can get the 8oz fillet or the 10oz(I think) sirlion. But you have to pay for any extras, chips, veg etc. And some of the starters, sides and deserts are a bit steap as you don't get big portions in some. For three of us, with 2 starters, 2 15 euro steaks and a chicken thingy(with 5 sides), 2 deserts, 3 coffees, a glass of red wine and a coke came to 92 euro. Which is pretty good. (All the drinks were 2 euro, tea coffee etc)
    The staff are really nice also, put a candle in my ice cream and sang happy birthday to me :D Felt like a kid again!
    Didn't see any one with the stone steak cooking it on their table, but my top had a stink of grease off it the next day.
    Will go back for the 15 euro steaks though.

• Advertisement

Poped in to Captain Americas for a look. It's quite large and was very busy - filled with families! The bar and music venue are opening today at 5.30pm.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Poped in to Captain Americas for a look. It's quite large and was very busy - filled with families! The bar and music venue are opening today at 5.30pm.

will be busy tomorrrow 4th July

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

I believe they have a good music venue and will be putting on plenty of gigs - great news.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Captain America's is basically McDonalds with cutlery. So basically you're paying the extra few quid to get a knife and fork and on a plate instead of in a plastic carton and on a tray.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,028 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Captain America's is basically McDonalds with cutlery. So basically you're paying the extra few quid to get a knife and fork and on a plate instead of in a plastic carton and on a tray.

Always worth paying extra for cutlery!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Gaspode wrote: »
    I believe they have a good music venue and will be putting on plenty of gigs - great news.

I went up last night tpo listen to a few bands and a nice little set up upstairs. There wasnt many at it which was a shame but hope it catchs on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Is Wagamama open yet? Need a venue for a casual meet up of 4 tomorrow night and would prefer to avoid burger type places...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

It's not open yet should be by the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

athtrasna wrote: »
    Is Wagamama open yet? Need a venue for a casual meet up of 4 tomorrow night and would prefer to avoid burger type places...
    Have you considered the 12th lock? They do have burgers but they also have a lot more. Everything I tried there is great but maybe a little pricey. I'd advise against the hot wings unless you're in the mood for lots of beer as they are super hot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 HeartShake

ciaran76 wrote: »
    I went up last night tpo listen to a few bands and a nice little set up upstairs. There wasnt many at it which was a shame but hope it catchs on.

I think the reason it wasn't full was the tickets were done by lottery and they only gave one ticket per person.

So I won a ticket, but nobody I know did so I didn't bother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Have you considered the 12th lock? They do have burgers but they also have a lot more. Everything I tried there is great but maybe a little pricey. I'd advise against the hot wings unless you're in the mood for lots of beer as they are super hot.

Have found them to be hugely inconsistent with quality...and it's not the easiest place to chat in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

athtrasna wrote: »
    Have found them to be hugely inconsistent with quality...and it's not the easiest place to chat in?

yea had some really crap food their, I sent back two dishes one after the other. But my wife has had some good food though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

It used to be a great place but I haven't been impressed any time I've been in there over the past few months. Takes forever to be even acknowledged by the staff when you go in there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭Pat Dunne

Yeah 'fraid that the Twelfth Lock has gone off the boil.

Food use to be very consistant and nice, now its the luck of the draw. Personally I have been dissapointed on my last three visits there since the start of the year. Only saving grace that the do a nice range of continental beers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 175 ✭✭icywind1980

Pat Dunne wrote: »
    Yeah 'fraid that the Twelfth Lock has gone off the boil.

Food use to be very consistant and nice, now its the luck of the draw. Personally I have been dissapointed on my last three visits there. Only saving grace that the do a nice range of continental beers.
    I only went there once but my husband was there a few times before that and he never had any problems. Maybe it's just recently that it went downhill?

• Advertisement

I was in Wagamamas yesterday for a preview lunch, it was nice, the food was yum.
    Had my brats with me and they enjoyed it esp the jr chopsticks.

35782_420832891120_691381120_4898390_3980993_n.jpg

35782_420832896120_691381120_4898391_4510463_n.jpg

34890_420833061120_691381120_4898400_3123991_n.jpg

34844_420835136120_691381120_4898437_1684407_n.jpg

http://www.wagamama.ie/locations/showlocation/670

Wagamama looks great!

How do you get in to it? Is the entrance directly across from Starbucks?

HeartShake wrote: »
    I think the reason it wasn't full was the tickets were done by lottery and they only gave one ticket per person.

So I won a ticket, but nobody I know did so I didn't bother.

Well that is just one of the silliest things I have ever heard of! What genius thought it was a good idea to issue single tickets?!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭Sue Rocks

was never overly impressed with Wagamama to be honest I dont think its all that its cracked up to be

• Registered Users Posts: 1,549 ✭✭✭skippy15

anyone being to new captain america's yet in the centre

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

Two lads I work with went to the Capt Amerias today at lunchtime. Both had the lunch deal, burger, fries and a coke for €9.95. They had chilli burgers, said they were nice and would definetely go back. I am kmore interested in Wagamamas I think, they had a girl outside the door today trying to shepherd people in there... they don't do take-out yet but should be starting in the next few weeks apparantly.

Wagamama looks great!

How do you get in to it? Is the entrance directly across from Starbucks?

Yes the entrance is opposite starbucks.
    Sue Rocks wrote: »
    was never overly impressed with Wagamama to be honest I dont think its all that its cracked up to be

It's not fine dining for sure, but for what it is a noodle place I have always enjoyed it when ever I have been able to get into the city centre and it's a wonderfull take away option as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,965 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Went there today for lunch. Very tasty and the new restaurant has a nice bright airy feel to it, especially compared to the dungeon that is the city centre Wagamama's. The noodle salad I had was much nicer than the usual canteen muck that I'm used to.

Had dinner in Wagamama's.

Food was excellent.

Found the place to be very noisy though - all hard surfaces, nothing to absorb the sounds of the place. I could barely hear myself talk.

Was very surprized by the size of the place - thought it would be bigger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Mimikyu

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement