Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I initially thought the guy being dragged from under the table and the clothes being thrown from the staircase were happening in Wayne Manor, with Bane and his goons crashing the memorial service for Harvey Dent.
    I also thought at first that the shots of the men rapelling down the well were of the well in the grounds of Wayne Manor, and Bane figures out that Bruce is Batman, but it's too big for that.
    Still, it might be a shaft for the Batwing to rise out of or such.

Anyway, assuming Bane does crash the service and it is at Wayne Manor, maybe Bruce gets captured there as a member of the elite and taken to a prison, explaining how Bane seems to be talking to him in a cell.
    It might also be the means for Bane to control or destroy much of Gotham in Bruce's enforced absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I initially thought the guy being dragged from under the table and the clothes being thrown from the staircase were happening in Wayne Manor

I'm pretty sure those are bodies being thrown from the staircase

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I think the memorial service, the masquerade ball and the rich getting dragged out of their homes are all separate events. The lighting is quite different and you can see daylight from the windows in some of the shots.

The only problem I see with the imprisonment theory is that in the first teaser trailer Gordon is asking Batman to come back and Bruce says what if he doesn't exist anymore. This hardly takes place after he returns to Gotham.

al28283 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure those are bodies being thrown from the staircase

Just had another look at the trailer: the only thing I can make out for sure is a couch.
    I think the memorial service, the masquerade ball and the rich getting dragged out of their homes are all separate events. The lighting is quite different and you can see daylight from the windows in some of the shots.

The only problem I see with the imprisonment theory is that in the first teaser trailer Gordon is asking Batman to come back and Bruce says what if he doesn't exist anymore. This hardly takes place after he returns to Gotham.

You're right about the lighting, it's definitely daylight when they're ransacking the place.
    The masquerade ball definitely takes place at a different point of the film anyway: it'd be a bit insensitive to hold a ball during a memorial service!

The part in bold is what I'm still most curious about: the timeline of things.
    When I saw the first teaser I assumed Bruce had retired as Batman (backed up when Nolan mentioned it happens eight years later) and Gordon wanted him to come out of retirement to stop Bane.
    But then seeing Bruce apparently imprisoned threw me.

I think maybe at the beginning Batman has retired and Bruce is reluctant to return.
    But then he gets beaten by Bane and imprisoned, serving as the kick up the ass he needs to bring back the Bat and rise up. In this case he'd get imprisoned fairly early in the film and escape not long after to return to save Gotham.

But hopefully it'll actually be a situation that I can't guess that's much better, which I think will be the case.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Just had another look at the trailer: the only thing I can make out for sure is a couch.

You're right about the lighting, it's definitely daylight when they're ransacking the place.
    The masquerade ball definitely takes place at a different point of the film anyway: it'd be a bit insensitive to hold a ball during a memorial service!

The part in bold is what I'm still most curious about: the timeline of things.
    When I saw the first teaser I assumed Bruce had retired as Batman (backed up when Nolan mentioned it happens eight years later) and Gordon wanted him to come out of retirement to stop Bane.

I think maybe at the beginning Batman has retired and Bruce is reluctant to return.
    But then he gets beaten by Bane and imprisoned, serving as the kick up the ass he needs to bring back the Bat and rise up. In this case he'd get imprisoned fairly early in the film and escape not long after to return to save Gotham.

But hopefully it'll actually be a situation that I can't guess that's much better, which I think will be the case.

I really couldn't see him being imprisoned, everyone would know his identity then surely?

I reckon nolan could be giving less away with that trailer than anyone realises, everying in it could be in the first half of the film!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,170 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

constantg wrote: »
    remote control piloting/slaving of the vehicles?

Sorry what?

Perhaps he was in prison intentionally like the first movie? Maybe he went there to learn more about Bane and how to defeat him.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Mickeroo wrote: »
    I really couldn't see him being imprisoned, everyone would know his identity then surely?
    Not necessarily. It's obviously not a normal prison in Gotham - they shot those scenes in India. But even if everyone does know who Bruce is, so what? This is the last film.

The imprisoning idea is growing on me. It makes sense. Bane doesn’t want to kill Bruce, but he can’t leave him physically fit to challenge him either. So he either has to cripple him or put him somewhere where he can’t bother him. I suspect the "breaking" will be mostly psychological. Maybe he'll kill Alfred or something.

Bruce choosing to go to prison again would be repetitive. The very fact that he was in prison by choice in Batman Begins says everything about his privileged position in life. Bane (assuming they've borrowed from his comic backstory) didn't have a choice. In fact, one of the things that always annoyed me about Begins is that Bruce had so much help in becoming Batman. I like the prospect of him losing everything and having to find a way back on his own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

tdkr13-bane-batman.jpg

Love this picture, it's such a contrast to the shot in the teaser where Bruce is looking scared of the approaching Bane. In this picture he looks ready to fcuk him up. Love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

tdkr13-bane-batman.jpg

Love this picture, it's such a contrast to the shot in the teaser where Bruce is looking scared of the approaching Bane. In this picture he looks ready to fcuk him up. Love it!

yea exactly this must be the climactic battle. team batman vs team bane the winner takes gotham

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 545 ✭✭✭WatchWolf

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUuwHpoXWLg

Here's some very good footage of the Bane v Batman snowfight.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

jG2mv.png

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I reckon nolan could be giving less away with that trailer than anyone realises, everying in it could be in the first half of the film!

Is it a prison or some kind of refugee camp set up in the Batcave?

Not necessarily. It's obviously not a normal prison in Gotham - they shot those scenes in India. But even if everyone does know who Bruce is, so what? This is the last film.

If everyone knows who he is it completely negates the point of him being batman imo, but i suppose it is the last film. I'd be very surprised if they went down that road though.

I find it hard to see how his imprisonment would fit into the film without bringing the story to a halt, and have a slight suspicion that there might be some sneaky editing going on in the trailer.

One of my first, craziest thoughts was that that scene is in fact a flashback to when Bruce was in prison during Batman Begins, and for whatever reasons Bane also happened to be there, either as a prisoner who already had an insane plan to destroy Gotham, or else he was scoping out/finding Bruce before Ducard came to visit him.

I immediately dismissed that thought as too far-fetched, but I wouldn't be in any way surprised if Nolan included some of his usual messing about with time (I think we're guaranteed at least one flashback from earlier than then.

And it would be quite a coincidence if Bruce were in prison and looking like he did while in prison in Batman Begins.

I definitely think there's at least some misdirection going on in the trailer.

I find it hard to see how his imprisonment would fit into the film without bringing the story to a halt, and have a slight suspicion that there might be some sneaky editing going on in the trailer.

One of my first, craziest thoughts was that that scene is in fact a flashback to when Bruce was in prison during Batman Begins, and for whatever reasons Bane also happened to be there, either as a prisoner who already had an insane plan to destroy Gotham, or else he was scoping out/finding Bruce before Ducard came to visit him.

I immediately dismissed that thought as too far-fetched, but I wouldn't be in any way surprised if Nolan included some of his usual messing about with time (I think we're guaranteed at least one flashback from earlier than then.

And it would be quite a coincidence if Bruce were in prison and looking like he did while in prison in Batman Begins.

Nah, He didnt have grey hair in Batman Begins

Good point, I hadn't noticed he had grey hair in that particular, damn my eyesight.

There's also the possibility that the shot of Bruce and the shot of Bane are from two separate scenes and Bane is actually talking to someone completely different, but I think that would be a bit too sly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Joekers

But he does have the exact same style beard that he has in BBs

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Good point, I hadn't noticed he had grey hair in that particular, damn my eyesight.

There's also the possibility that the shot of Bruce and the shot of Bane are from two separate scenes and Bane is actually talking to someone completely different, but I think that would be a bit too sly.

Assuming that Gordon is put in hospital by Bane it could be him he is talking to.

I would think the shot of Bane is from the same scene in the prolgue footage where Bane has crushed Batmans cowl

• Advertisement

I would think the shot of Bane is from the same scene in the prolgue footage where Bane has crushed Batmans cowl

Hhm, I hadn't heard of that shot. I haven't watched the prologue but I did read a description of the "sizzle reel" at the end and it wasn't mentioned.

All this speculation makes me glad that despite all that's been revealed of the film, intentionally or otherwise, we still don't really know that much about what's going to happen :).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭Draupnir

I really can't see an unmasking scene, or at least I really hope we don't get one. I wouldn't like that at all.

I think what it will actually be, will be Bane hunting Batman and finding the bat cave. The cowl he breaks is from a storage case or display case, much like the one from Michael Keaton Batman. I think it just adds a lot of weight to the trailer and that's why it's in there, to create a bit of excitement.

The big question is what order the two fights we've seen shots of go in. There is the one on the steps of the court where Batman looks pretty determined and prepared and then the one that looks to be underground with water flowing in the background. Batman looks pretty freaked in that one. So either he underestimates Bane, get's bashed and then is unhappy to meet him again later or else he is freaked the first time, get's away and returns later ready and waiting to sort Bane out.

I cannot wait for this film.

Pretty sure there's an unmasking scene

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Pretty sure there's an unmasking scene

I wouldn't say so. I haven't heard of a part like that in the prologue, unless your referring to the poster with the broken cowl on the ground?

Corholio wrote: »
    I wouldn't say so. I haven't heard of a part like that in the prologue, unless your referring to the poster with the broken cowl on the ground?

Nope, There's a scene of Bane crushing the mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,915 ✭✭✭cursai

Joekers wrote: »
    But he does have the exact same style beard that he has in BBs

Christian Bale didn't go ahead with those beard implants. That was just Hollywood gossip.

Just had a look at the HD trailer there, the bit at the end where the guys are repelling down the shaft is followed by a couple of frames of them landing in the same jail that Bruce is in with Tom Conti. So we can agree that's not the Batcave.

Nope, There's a scene of Bane crushing the mask.

That's in the prologue right? From what I remember he drops a broken piece of mask, rather than crushes it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

well, saw the prologue the way it was meant to be seen, before mi4 in imax.
    I was highly disappointed about bane's voice, couldnt understand him at all, read about lads complaining about it from youtube but never would have thought it would be that bad in a cinema with proper sound.
    Dearly hope nolan tweaks it or else it will affect my enjoyment of TDKR

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Only thing I want now before its released is the music from the prologue.

Advertisement