Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Dark Knight Rises - Pre-release Discussion [** NO SPOILERS PLEASE **]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    well, saw the prologue the way it was meant to be seen, before mi4 in imax.
    I was highly disappointed about bane's voice, couldnt understand him at all, read about lads complaining about it from youtube but never would have thought it would be that bad in a cinema with proper sound.
    Dearly hope nolan tweaks it or else it will affect my enjoyment of TDKR

Yea, I agree. I saw the prologue at a preview screening in the Imax and couldn't make out half of what he said. If anything the Imax was worse than some of the youtube videos because the bass and effects of the sound system were just cutting him off completely

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

I am expecting a superman 2 plot, Batman gets beaten in the scene from the teaser, goes away and comes back stronger with the help of Ra's Al Ghul and beats Bane on the Steps at the end....... Could it be that lame!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

bullvine wrote: »
    I am expecting a superman 2 plot, Batman gets beaten in the scene from the teaser, goes away and comes back stronger with the help of Ra's Al Ghul and beats Bane on the Steps at the end....... Could it be that lame!

When put like that the answer is yes it could. The very rough plot synopsis above has been used in many films down through the years (Superman 2, Rocky 3, Karate Kid 1 through 13 etc etc). A hero takes a licking, goes away, trains, meditates, whatever and comes back wiser and stronger to defeat their tormentor.

The main thing to remember is that this film like any other will live or die depending on it's story. There appear to be many strands running through this final instalment of Nolan's take on the Batman story (Catwoman's role, JGL's cop character role, Banes back-story and rise, the return of the League of Shadows and Gotham being ripped asunder).

Have faith my friend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭bullvine

Cheers, when you spin it like that, it makes so much sense! I really cant wait to see it, so much goin on the trailer, its so hard to see where anything fits which is a really good thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Temaz

Christopher Nolan has reportedly been asked to edit the sound mix of Tom Hardy's voice in the upcoming Dark Knight Rises.

In the highly-anticipated Batman picture, Hardy's character Bane wears a mask, which some have complained makes his heavily-accented speech too muffled.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a356885/dark-knight-rises-warner-bros-scared-to-death-about-bane-voice.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

I honestly don't get this, what he said in the trailer was perfectlu audible to me. Maybe it's an IMAX problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

I honestly don't get this, what he said in the trailer was perfectlu audible to me. Maybe it's an IMAX problem.

he only had one line in the trailer. Quite a lot of what he said in the prologue was hard to make out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,181 ✭✭✭Rick Deckard

Mickeroo wrote: »
    constantg wrote: »
    remote control piloting/slaving of the vehicles?

Sorry what?
    Similar to the begining of tdk when the batmobile was on intimidate mode, remotly controlled by batman

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭phil1nj

I had no problem understanding Bane's voice either (dodgy leaky prologue footage and cam trailers included).

According to the details listed here:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-greatest-dark-knight-rises-facts

Nolan is not going to alter the sound mix on Hardy's voice. There's a lot of fluff in the above feature but some genuinely intesting nuggets IMHO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,905 ✭✭✭✭Handsome Bob

al28283 wrote: »
    he only had one line in the trailer. Quite a lot of what he said in the prologue was hard to make out

As I said, IMAX audio can be quite deafening, add to that the fact that the scene was on a noisey airplane and over a booming soundtrack, it's understandable that it was difficult to hear him.

I'd be willing to bet that this won't be an issue for the majority of the film.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,274 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

phil1nj wrote: »
    I had no problem understanding Bane's voice either (dodgy leaky prologue footage and cam trailers included).

According to the details listed here:

http://www.totalfilm.com/features/50-greatest-dark-knight-rises-facts

Nolan is not going to alter the sound mix on Hardy's voice. There's a lot of fluff in the above feature but some genuinely intesting nuggets IMHO.

this is disappointing, Nolan is making a mistake here I think. I saw it on IMAX and it shouldnt be a problem, I understood everybody else in the prologue and everyone in MI4(which is a loud movie too!) just fine, only bane was inaudible.

Its obviously a problem if many fans are bringing it up and Nolan has to actually repond about it. I'm not asking for a re-recording of Hardy's part, just tweak the sound so that he sounds less "artificial", turn his voice up a bit and reduce the noise from the plane. Needs to be done, its worse than Bale's overly strong growl voice as Batman in TDK

• Registered Users Posts: 5,493 ✭✭✭Fuzzy_Dunlop

He said he wouldn't re record the lines again. That's not to say they won't alter the sound mix to make it more distinguishable which it seems is what Nolan has indicated they will do.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭constantg

corcaigh07 wrote: »
    this is disappointing, Nolan is making a mistake here I think

Nolan doesn't strike me as the kind of man to make a rookie error like this.....Perhaps it was intentional? To force massive discussion, debate, argumentation and then later release a better dubbing and have a more positive response? And a MASSIVE amount of views of it? More than there would be if it had been right first time?

Also RE my comment on 'slaving' the batmobile and batwing (is it a plane?) earlier, perhaps the batmobile controls the plane or vice-versa by remote control and allows the batmobile to be transported in a similar fashion to the dropship from Aliens?

Tell me this doesn't look similar to the clip from the trailer....

Pic_0073.jpg

dark-knight-rises-batwing-set-photo-01.jpg&w=450&h=600&ei=C0PzTonHGcTAhAeW35DHAQ&zoom=1

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Similar to the begining of tdk when the batmobile was on intimidate mode, remotly controlled by batman

Yea I get that, I just have no idea what it has to do with my post! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Temaz wrote: »
    Quote:
    Christopher Nolan has reportedly been asked to edit the sound mix of Tom Hardy's voice in the upcoming Dark Knight Rises.

In the highly-anticipated Batman picture, Hardy's character Bane wears a mask, which some have complained makes his heavily-accented speech too muffled.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/movies/news/a356885/dark-knight-rises-warner-bros-scared-to-death-about-bane-voice.html

the guys wearing a mask, realistaclly he should be hard to hear, whats the problem, :confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,160 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

don ramo wrote: »
    the guys wearing a mask, realistaclly he should be hard to hear, whats the problem, :confused::confused::confused::confused:

Realistically, it could be pretty detrimental to people's enjoyment of the movie if you can't tell what one of the main characters is saying.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭Paleface

don ramo wrote: »

Darth Vader wore a mask and you never had any problem understanding him!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Realistically, it could be pretty detrimental to people's enjoyment of the movie if you can't tell what one of the main characters is saying.....
    well itll be your won fault for being noisey with your popcorn and crisps if you cant hear him,

im warning ye all now no popcorn or crisps:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

I can see people's problem with Hardy's voice, it is quite muffled especially with Nolan's love for background noise.

The only reason I can see how I understood him was from seeing transcripts before seeing the footage, so I knew what he was going to say in both the prologue and the trailer.

If it's apparently only an IMAX problem then he still needs to fix it considering how much of an advocate his is to the format.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭nicklauski

al28283 wrote: »

The copy I watched of the prologue, I could make out fairly clear. A lot easier than I could in the trailer being honest. I had to listen to the trailer about 5 times before I knew what he said :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

i hope Barry o Hanlon is in this movie. He was brilliant in Batman Begins.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

MJ23 wrote: »
    i hope Barry o Hanlon is in this movie. He was brilliant in Batman Begins.

Risteard Cooper from Apres Match stole the show for me with his single line:

"Or a nut!"

And the pilot from the plane episode of Father Ted as the crooked judge!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

"Or a nut!"

what scene is your man from apres match in ? :pac:

ricero wrote: »
    what scene is your man from apres match in ? :pac:

It's just after Batman's gone on his first mission as Batman, disrupting the drug shipment at the docks, tying up Falcone and rescuing Rachel from the muggers.
    Directly after the shot of him standing on top of a skyscraper, there's a short scene with the Commissioner holding up a paper with a headline about Batman and giving out to a group of cops.

He's among them and pops up in only one shot for a second, but it's a close-up.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

THAT WAS IT!!!

• Site Banned Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭paddy kerins

"Or a nut!"

Was that the pilot?!:eek:

I'm gonna have to watch that again. I knew he looked familiar

Yeah, he looks a little different, I think he's slimmer in Father Ted.

It took me a few viewings of the film to finally figure out where I knew him from.

I don't know why Christopher Nolan fills his Batman films with Irish actors.
    It looks like we'll have Aiden Gillen in The Dark Knight Rises, as well as, possibly, Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Dewey

It took me a few viewings of the film to finally figure out where I knew him from.

It looks like we'll have Aiden Gillen in The Dark Knight Rises, as well as, possibly, Liam Neeson and Cillian Murphy.

you could say he fills the batman films with British Actors aswell...Christian Bale, Michael Caine, Tom Hardy, Gary Oldman, Tom Wilkinson.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

he's the villain in Waterworld as well, not Dennis Hopper lol the one who wanted Costners boots at the beginning.

• Advertisement

Another sitcom batman link, in tim burtons first batman movie the captain of red dwarf pops up as one of jokers goons in a scene (he was also in the directors cut of Aliens where it showed lv-426 before infestation)

Advertisement