Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

what was the worst that was ever said to you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭elleburp

"why don't you just kill yourself and do us all a favour"
    and
    "you're someone else's problem now"

He's my favorite ex of all, the one without the seatbelt as such - the one that did all the damage

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

LC2010HIS wrote: »
    "I thought you were a boy"

I get that at least once a week, it kinda gets filtered out at this stage. I don't even look that boyish!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Why I'm still up I don't know, but anyway...the worst thing that was said to me was by my 3rd year math teacher. I've always had trouble with math and one day, out the corner of his mouth he muttered "you should just forget about it. School, college, life because you'll never amount to anything worthwhile."

I was gobsmacked...how could anyone, let alone a teacher say this to someone...perhaps it was because he found out that I was English by meeting my parents for a parent-teacher meeting the week before...

Needless to say, when I got my Junior Cert results, got a B in maths I waved it in his face. Maybe I should track him down and show him my BSc Hons?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Needless to say, when I got my Junior Cert results, got a B in maths I waved it in his face. Maybe I should track him down and show him my BSc Hons?

Do it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 250 ✭✭Delicate_Dlite

You should sooo find that teacher!

I've had my fair share of nasty comments from family, co-workers, friends and people from school/college. What can I say, I'm lucky with the people in my life.:rolleyes:

Some of the "best" (?) ones so far, were from a certain ex of mine, who was a friend before we dated and after. ;

While we dated:

He pointed at my thighs and laughed saying it looked like I had saddlebags like a horse, in front of friends of ours.

Told me he thought I had anorexia, then to "cheer" me up, googled images of "fat kids".

(He knew I had alot of severe body issues and had been an obese kid when he said those things.)

Sorry from rambling on, I'm actually leaving out alot. but the "best" one was;

My parents are separted for a long time, I've no major issues with it. I live with my mother. This one stung quite alot, only comment I've even recieved about my parent situation.

The ex, corrected me when I said "my parents", to "my mother".

And after we broke up:

I was enquiring how his grandmother was, he said, she was very ill and probably wouldn't live much longer. I said I was so sorry to hear that, etc.
    And he turned to me and said something to the effect of "well, I may get lucky, you may die first.":eek:

He knew I was suffering from anxiety/depression and was on anti-depressants at the time. (And no he didn't mean it in his grandmother may live for a long time, as I asked him later. Apparently I "shouldn't take it as I threat 'cause I know him" < his words:rolleyes:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

About six months after my brother died I was told I should be well over him by then.
    Someone I know through work. We don't talk that much now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Paperclip, that person obviously never had anyone close to them dying, like I mean a child or sibling as opposed to a grandparent. Its hard to understand the grief if you haven't been through it. Not making excuses for this person, fairly insensitive, but I wouldn't take it personally. You don't you ever get over a brother dying, you just learn to cope with it and move on. Hope you doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭UpCork

paperclip2 wrote: »
    About six months after my brother died I was told I should be well over him by then.

Same thing happened to me.

My granny who I was very close to died suddenly and I was heartbroken. A friend perhaps didn't understand the closeness that I had to my granny.

It was several months later and I was under a lot of stress with college etc and one day when talking to my friend on the phone I was crying and they asked me what I was crying over and I said it was over my granny, that I missed her so much and that I felt crap etc.

My friend turned around and said 'are you for real, that was months ago, surely you've learned how to deal with it by now'.

I remember being so hurt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

"You are only the second most handsome man on earth"

:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

UpCork wrote: »
    Same thing happened to me.

My granny who I was very close to died suddenly and I was heartbroken. A friend perhaps didn't understand the closeness that I had to my granny.

It was several months later and I was under a lot of stress with college etc and one day when talking to my friend on the phone I was crying and they asked me what I was crying over and I said it was over my granny, that I missed her so much and that I felt crap etc.

My friend turned around and said 'are you for real, that was months ago, surely you've learned how to deal with it by now'.

I remember being so hurt.

:eek: Nice friend you have there?!! Jesus what a horrible thing to say to anyone.
    CorkMan wrote: »

Ouch :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 jynx59

paperclip2 wrote: »
    when my mother died christmas day 1985, my husband was telling a neighbour and she said " that was a good day as any to die,"
    heartless b****h

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Jenna69

I'm the only girl in my family with an older brother and a younger brother and my mother once said to me, years ago, that she wished she had three boys. As you can imagine i grew up with very low self esteem. I vowed never to be like that with my children and tell both my kids i love them every day. Don't see her much at all now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭boarduser1980

a schoolfriend once said to me 'your brother is horrible looking' then 5 mins later, she told me i was the spitting image of my brother.

my mother and my younger sister were always putting me down, if it wasnt my hair, it was my clothes or just gerneral put-downs and it was always when they were together so i was always very self-conscious around them. btw i dont talk to my sis anymore, lets just say she put the icing on the cake last year and she has regretted it ever since, cos i finally stood up to her and cut her out of my life.

a comment was put under a photo of me on my friends FB page 'uh yuck what a minger', i didnt know the guy who wrote it, but was very hurt by it. he was no oil painting himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Standman

What, make fun of their friends breasts? Guys make fun of each other all the time (for being small, fat, whatever) but the only difference is that guys aren't sensitive about it. Some of the stuff here is tame compared to what guys do but girls are more insulted.

Yea, what guys do is bottle it up inside so as not to lose face with the others. Its not "manly" to be insulted or even talk about your feelings. And some people wonder why the suicide rate is so high for young men..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

Some of the worst things said to me were during coming out to my parents. I was told they weren't willing to pay for school if I insisted on being gay, I was a disappointment, I was a freak, they wished I'd just told them I was pregnant so on and so forth. Then I started crying and was told all my emotions are the product of me being an arrogant, heartless bitch. I felt/still feel like I killed their daughter, and now they're just left with the person they gave birth to.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,762 ✭✭✭✭stupidusername

Some of the worst things said to me were during coming out to my parents. I was told they weren't willing to pay for school if I insisted on being gay, I was a disappointment, I was a freak, they wished I'd just told them I was pregnant so on and so forth. Then I started crying and was told all my emotions are the product of me being an arrogant, heartless bitch. I felt/still feel like I killed their daughter, and now they're just left with the person they gave birth to.

oh my god. that's terrible.

Have you spoken to them since??

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭easynote

"you are going to be very lonely"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭johnr1

After reading all 14 pages of this so far, I now feel blessed that nothing even approaching these levels of evil and viciousness has ever been said to me by anyone who mattered.
    I know it's not a contest but,- princess lala, that has got to be the most hurtful thing I have ever even heard of being said to anyone. The only hope there is that the bastard who said that is also a complete moron who doesent understand the damage he could have done.
    By god there's some bad hoors out there !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

Oh my God that's truly awful...I think that's one of the worst things anyone on this thread has had said to them. How long ago was it when you came out? Have they gotten any better since?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭foundry

pigheaded male lecturer: "i'm so glad i never had a son"

me a female strugglin student: "why??"

lecturer:"cos if he brought home a girl like you i'd kill him"
    In front of the class. .

• Advertisement

foundry wrote: »
    pigheaded male lecturer: "i'm so glad i never had a son"

me a female strugglin student: "why??"

lecturer:"cos if he brought home a girl like you i'd kill him"
    In front of the class. .

Did you report him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 mrs.scales

CorkMan wrote: »

I obviously read that wrong....sorry corkman. i thought they meant second most handsome man on earth....to brad pitt....ya know what I mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Chuchoter

This was back in February-March kind of time, things are better now sort of but thats partially because we haven't really spoken about it since. I think some of it was heat of the moment, but I don't know how much to be honest.
    @foundry, thats awful behavior from a lecturer, I hope you walked out and reported him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Asphyxia

I remember having a fight with a teacher in school and she told me I was a spoilt bitch and then got me expelled, I always find this funny as I have never been spoiled in my life. I have always did things for myself I was never dependent on daddy's money;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Bill2673

Its sad that for a lot of people, the most hurtful things said have come from their parents.

In what you have said its possible to see a lot of the generation gap, and the conventional beliefs of their day......"if you insist on being gay!"....."even if you were pregnant what wouldn't be as bad", as if a pregnancy was also an awful thing to happen, but only slightly less awful....and so on.

I remember when my older sister got pregnant (she was 28, living with her boyfriend, not married). my folks started banging on about illegitamate children and how they'd be slagged of in school and people would look down on them....i remember my dad saying ..."and theere's another word for it too you know..."

His eldest grand-daughters confirmation is coming up soon, her big day out. They've forgotten all that now, but I haven't forgotten it. I'm sure my sister hasn't either.

That generation seemed to place such a massive importance on 'what would people think'.....'what will the neighbours think'.

Bill2673 wrote: »

That generation seemed to place such a massive importance on 'what would people think'.....'what will the neighbours think'.

So true. People were so conditioned by religion and social stigmatisation. Sad.

Mind you, many people still are - here, and in other parts of the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭madbev90210

I dont remember a specific worst but a few people have asked my gorgeous sister how she could be related to me which hurts as Im self conscious about my appearance. Also because I didnt go out drinking or partying and preferred to read/study when I was younger my mother (alcohol loving) once asked why I couldnt be like "normal" teenagers.

Most recently, my boyfriend in the heat of a silly argument called me a crazy psycho bitch which hurt really bad as Im going through CBT at the moment and was really making an effort in our relationship. Im usually good at looking at the bigger picture though and give myself the " what would you say to a friend in this scenario" talk which usually works. Some of the stories here are so awful, I guess we have to be our own best friends to get over all these hurtful comments :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,649 ✭✭✭Catari Jaguar

Awh, Bev *hug* :)

I do that "What would I say if it was a friend in this situation and not me" thing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭BlondePrincess

My (boy) cousin form England used to come with his family to visit each year. On one occasion, when I was 10, something came up about looks. He pointed to me and said 'she's fat', then referred to my big sister (who I idolised) as being ugly, and said my middle sister was pretty. I was chubby at that time and very body conscious. I was really upset, and annoyed that he had referred to my big sis as ugly! To make it worse, he was very good looking at the time (he was 10 also), so I felt horrible! I lost all the weight once I started secondary school. Earlier this year, I went to England for a family party and he was there...hadn't seen him since I was 10. He is a lot bigger and not half as good looking as he was as a child, whereas I've improved greatly :P I said it to him about the comment he made and he said he doesn't ever remember even saying it! Funny how when something negative is said to us, it sticks with us for life, but the person who said it has often long since forgotten :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭Littlegirllost

An ex told me he wished i got cancer and died slowly! Was shocked by it cos it was him who dumped me!
    My sister also told me she wouldn't get married cos if it ended she wouldn't want to be known as someone who's marriage broke down, this was 2 days after my marriage ended, was so shocked we had a big argument and worse things were said but that really hurt

Advertisement