Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭ItsAWindUp

Arthurdaly wrote: »
    Why does everyone feel the need to disclose the fact they were not a fan or didnt agree with him???!!!

Gerry, you made me smile. Thanks and god bless! RIP

Because this is a public forum, and people are entitled to voice their opinion on whatever topic is being discussed, just like you did!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The thing that Gerry was probably under rated for, is despite all the wackiness and the lavish lifestyle, he was a brilliant social commentator. If something was big on the news, be it the Thierry Henry handball, or the church scandals, you immediatley wanted to rush to the radio and hear what Gerrys take on it was. And often his analysis was spot on.

Thats what I'll miss the most, cos you knew he wouldnt hold back with what had to be said, which is probably why he wasnt everyones cup of tea. A huge void that will never be filled. I think RTE 2fm should fall silent from 9 to 12 on Tuesday morning, would be a nice show of respect for him.

All the best Gerry, have a glass of whiskey for me up there :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 874 ✭✭✭Ali Babba

RIP Gerry, you'll be missed, by some people anyway..............

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

ItsAWindUp wrote: »
    Because this is a public forum, and people are entitled to voice their opinion on whatever topic is being discussed, just like you did!

Poor defence that really.

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭Nickibaby*

Gerry Ryan, what a legend. Really enjoyed listening to him every morning in work, wont be the same without him :( Nobody will be able to fill his place.

Very shocked. Thoughts and prayers are with his beautiful family

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,617 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

So many great version's about, but I'm a big Christy fan!...

my greatest memory of Gerry was a flowing tribute he paid to Christy when he was unwell a few years ago - it was genuinely moving - so rest in peace big man - and light up a big cuban

• Registered Users Posts: 3,851 ✭✭✭acequion

It's not this thread that irks me, but the whole craven rush to the alter to mourn the passing of the golden-calf, of how indicative and revealing it is of the true Irish nature and the obsession with celebrity culture.

Hundreds of sufferers of Cystic Fibrosis die in this country every year due to our country being one of the worst in Europe to provide resources for this particular condition, where are their wailing media advocates being interviewed on the verge of tears in the Montrose carpark?

I take issue with the above poster! Words like "craven rush" and "mourn the passing of the golden calf" are provocative,dispespectful to a person who has died and chillingly devoid of empathy and compassion,though the poster claims to champion a cause.

Will people like this poster ever understand human nature? Celebrities and well known media personalities represent the great bulk of humanity in both life and death, because in essence,they are ordinary mortals like the rest of us.However their deaths, like their lives, are public and so the grief is a public thing.This public grief in no way undermines the private grief,felt every second of every day when a non famous person dies of Cystic Fibrosis or any other tragic disease or cause.In fact if anything,it validates and universalises it.It puts a public face on the shock and incomprehension always felt in the event of a tragic passing.

Thank God for human nature!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

Ah dont worry there are a rake of gob****es on here that think they're the leading authority on absolutely everything. pity we have to listen to their self righteous drivvel but free speech and all that...dont let them get to you. some people cant just disagree with others without resorting to insults or rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭cock robin

You expected them to forge ahead with a 2-hour tribute show without so much as a 60-second break to pull themselves together every so often?

No but I didn't expect them to use a tribute show to plug adverts and make money while people were grieving for their friend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cock robin wrote: »
    No but I didn't expect them to use a tribute show to plug adverts and make money while people were grieving for their friend.

This expectation was based on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Unfortunately, this didn't come as a shock at all but I'm very sorry for his family's loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭jonas7

I still cant believe Gerry Ryan is dead. RIP Gerry, you'll be sorely missed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To please you the next RTE celebrity to die should choose Christmas Eve to pop his clogs so.
    Ensuring the advert free Christmas day coincides with the grieving.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭poodles

So does anyone know the cause of death

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

poodles wrote: »
    So does anyone know the cause of death

We will know my mid week after the official autopsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 chasingcars

I had to registered to boards just to leave a leave a comment on G Ryan.

I am/was a regular listener to his show, I had a love/hate relationship with it but simply could not stop listening. Sometimes he made me mad, sometimes me sad and somtimes I laughed. Some off the topics he discussed were bizzare to say the least but that was what made the show what it was.

He always came across as a super father and I'm sure his 5 kids will truly miss him, my thoughts go out to them.

RIP GERRY you help me through many hours off my working life, I'll miss your show and your craic.

GOD BLESS THE ONES YOU LEFT BEHIND

• Registered Users Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but what?

How could it not come as a shock?!

:o Maybe he was Gerry's personal doctor ???? Conspiracy !!

RIP Gerry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Seems like yesterday that this was first aired .. poignant now considering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

RIP Gerry

Most people I have been speaking too are saying such controversial things, anyone else hear the same?

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

There will be no speculation of his death or the lead up to his death.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭musicmania

There will be no speculation of his death or the lead up to his death.

Thanks for all the good work being done by the mods here. It is nice seeing Gerry get the respect he deserves. I was in complete shock when I heard the sad news yesterday and didn't actually accept it until I watched the late late tribute on RTE player this morning and then listening to the 2fm tribute this morning. To those critisizing Evelyn O'Rourke she did her best and her sign off was heart wrenching. We have 2fm piped throughout the factory I work in and mornings will have a massive void now Gerry has gone. I even rang in once and left a message for Gerry to please stop playing christmas songs one July we had a little snow!!!!!! I was asked did I want to go on air but I declined. I will miss those moments I stopped work momentarily to listen to something he was saying and then rushing off to discuss it with the 1st person I came across. Even on night shift we would have Gerry to get us through the wee small hours when his programme was repeated. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

RoadKillTs wrote: »
    Wasn't his biggest fan either but I remember when I was young and off sick from school, I use to just sit up in the bed eating toast and listen to the Gerry Ryan show.

At that age I didn't have a clue what he was even talking about but there was something about his voice.

Have to admit its strange to think that I won't hear his voice again.

RIP.

I used to do the exact same wonder how many other Irish people did the same! I remember taking a day off sick my first year in college at 18 staying in bed eating toast and listening to his show too! :) I can almost remember what he was talking about too, it'll come to me later I'm sure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭Hank_Jones

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but what?

How could it not come as a shock?!

Doesn't really come as a shock to me either.

The way he led his life, he was ripe for a heart attack or that.
    Any year that Operation Transformation came around,
    it would always be mentioned that Gerry should really be the one transforming.

If people enjoy too much of the finer things in life,
    it should be expected that they are endangering their health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

RIP

I too remember listening to Gerry when off sick from school. Didn't get much chance in recent years as I can't listen to a radio in work.

Guess I'll never get to see him as my dream presenter of the Toy Show now. :(

mikom wrote: »
    To please you the next RTE celebrity to die should choose Christmas Eve to pop his clogs so.
    Ensuring the advert free Christmas day coincides with the grieving.

The death of anybody causes me no pleasure and your inference that it does is ridiculous wether it's Christmas day or otherwise. The point so obviously lost on you was that as a mark of respect to their colleague that during a tribute show in his honour they could have forgone the opportunity to make money.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

The death of anybody causes me no pleasure and your inference that it does is ridiculous wether it's Christmas day or otherwise. The point so obviously lost on you was that as a mark of respect to their colleague that during a tribute show in his honour they could have forgone the opportunity to make money.

It's like you're suggesting that the production team were so heartless that they deliberately shoved ads in there just to spite the man.

I listened to the show, and there was nothing but the utmost respect shown for their colleague. Ads or no ads.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 WonderCar

I have enjoyed Gerry since my mid teens through 20's into late 30's. He has dealt with all my life experiences, love, marriage, bereavement, pregnancy, birth and everything in between. He brightened up my mornings, and I hated when someone else filled in for him.
    With a great intelligence, fantastic sense of humour & the abillity to shock with outrageous statements & anecdotes, I will miss him terribly, nobody can fill those shoes.

God bless his family during this very difficult time.
    Eternally entertaining & interesting - Gerry.

xx

I am not suggesting anything of the sort WesternNight. The production team had no choice but to run the add break. RTE should have made a decision that for 2 hours they respected their colleague and ran the show minus the adds. I think its a fair point.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

I am not suggesting anything of the sort WesternNight. The production team had no choice but to run the add break. RTE should have made a decision that for 2 hours they respected their colleague and ran the show minus the adds. I think its a fair point.

i dont see how running an ads break, and fulfilling contracts with the advertisers, could be viewed as disrespectful? :confused:

• Advertisement

RIP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement