Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,089 ✭✭✭✭rovert

cock robin you are nit picking with this not to mention it is awfully boring. If they do that for Gerry they would have to do it for others.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭IzzyWizzy

Mr.S wrote: »
    I'm sorry, but what?

How could it not come as a shock?!

It just didn't. I'm not going into why. And no, I don't know anything about what happened yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Wasn't really a fan of his to be honest but it is sad to see him die at such a young age. Still it seems that he had a rather good life and my be the Irish embodiment of the phrase "we're here for a good time not a long time".

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

cock robin wrote: »
    I am not suggesting anything of the sort WesternNight. The production team had no choice but to run the add break. RTE should have made a decision that for 2 hours they respected their colleague and ran the show minus the adds. I think its a fair point.

As someone who didn't even know the man I don't think you have any business being offended by ads being shown during the late late.

Companies had already booked slots on the Late Late well in advance and that had to be honoured. I could be wrong but iirc no ads were shown during the first part of the show with Byrne, Fanning, Kenny, Donoghue et al reminiscing about Gerry.

I don't think this is the appropriate forum for discussing it, but if you really have an issue with adverts being shown during the rest of the late late, why don't you pick up the phone and ring the RTE complaints department?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭PARKHEAD67

pithater1 wrote: »
    Wasn't really a fan of his to be honest but it is sad to see him die at such a young age. Still it seems that he had a rather good life and my be the Irish embodiment of the phrase "we're here for a good time not a long time".
    Exactly.He enjoyed himself

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Think it was the 2FM tribute show this morning he was on about, eth0_ ;) But it pretty much amounts to the same thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

Just back from a business trip to China and seen the news when i woke up this afternoon. Shocking to be gone at such a young age. Never liked the guy but feel terrible for his family.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

IzzyWizzy wrote: »
    It just didn't. I'm not going into why. And no, I don't know anything about what happened yesterday.

Well you seem to be one of the few people who didn't think his death isn't a shock...
    My weekday mornings won't be the same. Rest in peace Gerry.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭Caoimhín

One of my fondest memories was listening to Gerry while having a lie in on summer holidays.

Over the past 15 years he has been a part of my morning, particularly when he went through the papers first thing.

My sympathies to his family, he will be sorely missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

sparkydee wrote: »
    Well you seem to be one of the few people who didn't think his death isn't a shock...
    My weekday mornings won't be the same. Rest in peace Gerry.

I imagine sparkydee is referring to Gerry's past use of the Reductil slimming drug (FAO mods, he spoke openly about this) which has since been banned in Europe due to its high risk of cardiovascular problems/heart failure.

But a cause of death hasn't been announced yet, so there's no point in speculating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Dropped by Telifis Eireann in Donnybrook, flowers at gate of studio, touching.

Lord Mayor holding book of condolence at the Mansion House Monday until Wednesday.

http://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/dublin-mansion-house-to-open-ryan-book-of-condolences-456076.html

When I was told yesterday I initially thought that Jeri Ryan had died but was quickly corrected. tbh I never liked Gerry Ryan and while his death is a tragedy for his family, listening to the way some people have been going on about him I keep getting reminded of the Steve Irwin* effect. I know one lad who started crying when he heard the news ffs.

*The Steve Irwin effect is when a much mocked public figure/celebrity suddenly goes from the butt of jokes to the reincarnation of Christ once they pass away.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

I'm of a generation where pirate radio meant something. Of late Gerry had grown less relevant in my life. I work full time so didn't listen to him much and last year he irritated me with the messing over the pay cut and his seeming cosiness with 'the establishment' :o

But now that he's gone.....I must say I feel regret. Regret that I didn't make time to listen to him more.

Radio and music has always been part of my life, from the days of Radio Nova onwards. Gerry Ryan in Irish radio was a maverick and he brought music and mischief and to the mainstream airwaves. He tore up the rule book and it's hard to understand his contribution to broadcasting unless you remember the straight laced and formal fare that went before. He was from Clontarf, a Northsider from the heartland of the Grove, Pirate radio and larks in the Park.

I feel really sad that over the last few years I cynically dismissed him although other times I found myself chuckling at one of his hyperbolic assessments of some issue of the day.

Anyway, he'll be missed. It only struck me how much when I tried to contemplate who could replace him....

RIP Gerry Ryan.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭sparkydee

eth0_ wrote: »
    I imagine sparkydee is referring to Gerry's past use of the Reductil slimming drug (FAO mods, he spoke openly about this) which has since been banned in Europe due to its high risk of cardiovascular problems/heart failure.

But a cause of death hasn't been announced yet, so there's no point in speculating.

I was referring to a previous post by izzywizzy who said they weren't shocked. My grammar went out the window and I meant to say that they were one of the few people not shocked. Because I for one certainly am shocked. And I certainly am not speculating on his death.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

like him or dislike him, he always stirred up interest

and 150,000 views of this two day old thread is proof of that

must be some kind of record can any mods out there verify it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

He had such a unique voice. He would talk about anything. Used to always think those morning shows were boring but Gerry Ryan was great. Ah, im going to miss him.

RIP

• Registered Users Posts: 9,804 ✭✭✭take everything

Just looking at the photo of him and his wife and kids in the Independent today.
    What struck me was how well-brought up and balanced the kids looked (ie none of your usual celeb stuff) and how proud Gerry looked.
    Obviously a very good father.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,298 ✭✭✭Namlub

Don't know if it's been mentioned already but abouttobebanned's post about how RTÉ should be ashamed of themselves for not having the story first on the news was in the Daily Fail today, apparently the forum was "lighting up in agreement". Whatever the hell that means... :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Paul90

R.I.P Gerry Ryan.

Listened to him every day for the past 3 years. Such a shame the way he went, and so young =/

My Condolences go out to the family and close friends.

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭Alessandra

<snip>

I used to listen to G. Ryan on an off over the years, he was a character I loved to hate but I listened because you never knew what he was going to say and it was something to chuckle about. There were so many cringe moments on air through the years but I admired the way he was outspokedn and not afraid to abstain from the status quo..

It is sad that he won't be there for his children. I think RTE will find it hard to fill his slot.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

he had a very distinct tone also , a rare species of a man. he wasnt afraid to speak the truth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭dazzerb

I have very strong memories listening to Gerry Ryan when his show was at night in between Dave Fanning and Mark Cagney. This is back when I was doing my inter. One thing that still to this day I remember was some night back in the early 80's when on his show he was getting callers to call in about something and one caller after a very friendly conversation with him ended with "Gerry can I play a request" for which he just cut him off saying "no you can't, this isn't the Larry Gogan show". I was probably 13 or 14 years old at the time and thought this was the coolest thing I had ever heard live on radio. That trio of DJs each night was legendary.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Celtickiller

RIP Gerry, I remember his show on Radio 2 from 10pm to midnight, I was a teenager at the time and it was the coolest show on radio.

I've enjoyed his more recent show since it started.

To all the people prepared to be nasty, remember what a ****hole this country was before people like Gerry Ryan challenged the status quo.

Thanks for the memories, and rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

I was in Tesco on Friday when I got a text at 2.04 saying he was gone. I nearly died! I was telling strangers beside me and before there was a group of us all standing round in shock. My friend text me at 2.49 to say her brother in Australia heard it by that time in a pub over there.

I had to bag pack yesterday for a charity, everyone passing through the till had something to say about him, lots of refers to the show on Thurs when he was on about bag packers:o

Last year sometime, he was talking about how difficult it was shen his daughter was leaving home to go to the states, (think it was to live for a while, or college, I'm not sure) it was clear how much he loved her. My son was about to start college too so I empathised. Poor Gerry, very young to die. We all want to live long enough to rear our children to adulthood at least and possibly to see our grandkids reared.

Throughout the years, everywhere I've worked his voice was always heard in the background, even on days off downtown you'd hear him from car radios. He'll be a big loss to a lot of folk, the old and the lonely in particular. Rip Gerry, you brought company and laughter to many.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

They are repeating yesterday mornings 2FM tribute show @ 7pm tonight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

anyone know if the late late will be repeated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

To all the people prepared to be nasty, remember what a ****hole this country was before people like Gerry Ryan challenged the status quo.

Utter bollocks.
    Gerry Ryan always got on brilliantly with Rick Parfitt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

sam34 wrote: »
    anyone know if the late late will be repeated

It's on the RTEPlayer here

Just after midnight tomorrow night on RTE also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

thanks pete

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

OutlawPete wrote: »
    They are repeating yesterday mornings 2FM tribute show @ 7pm tonight.

I'm there.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement