Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭musicmania

Fago! wrote: »
    I'm there.

Have the tissues at the ready. It was heartbreaking. Especially near the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,644 ✭✭✭SerialComplaint

To all the people prepared to be nasty, remember what a ****hole this country was before people like Gerry Ryan challenged the status quo.
    mikom wrote: »
    Utter bollocks.
    Gerry Ryan always got on brilliantly with Rick Parfitt.

Very sorry to hear of Gerry's death, particularly given his young family.

But let's not pretend that he was any kind of social activist. It's kinda hard to challenge the status quo when you are living in the Four Seasons. Gerry was very much part of the status quo.

He was a great radio talk-show host, particularly for female listeners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

musicmania wrote: »
    Have the tissues at the ready. It was heartbreaking. Especially near the end.

Really? Phuck. How long is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,073 ✭✭✭sam34

OutlawPete wrote: »
    It's on the RTEPlayer here

Just after midnight tomorrow night on RTE also.

just watched it

a very fitting tribute, handled well

kudos to all involved, cant have been easy to have to be in the public eye like that after the sudden death of a friend

• Registered Users Posts: 2,411 ✭✭✭StaticNoise

The tribute on the radio show wasn't too bad either.
    Quite well produced for RTÉ, on last minute, methinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

RIP Gerry Ryan.
    a radio legend

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

The tribute on the radio show wasn't too bad either.
    Quite well produced for RTÉ, on last minute, methinks.

You think :p

It is RTÉ we're talking about

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭ordinary_girl

Fago! wrote: »
    Really? Phuck. How long is it?

It's two hours long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,647 ✭✭✭✭Fago!

It's two hours long.

Best get me tissues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭480905

I wonder what happens to all his team now?? Are they employed by RTE or was it just to work on The Gerry Ryan show??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭Poly

Didn't hear Fiona Looney on the air at all, (I'm not complaining btw) she worked with him for years.

Replacement show being dicussed at the moment. Same production team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

RIP GERRY
    gerry was a legend not afraid to speak the truth
    thats what made him unique
    i listened to him every morning for the last 7 year dont no what i will do now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

480905 wrote: »
    I wonder what happens to all his team now?? Are they employed by RTE or was it just to work on The Gerry Ryan show??

They're all RTE employees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭ROTTING CHRIST

As much as I disliked him, mainly due to his complete ignorance and downright insulting of my beliefs - he will be hard to replace all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

Was never a fan of his but did dip in occasionally and he did appear to genuinely care about a person's problem/situation whatever that may have been.

This afternoon a caller to 2fm expressed their condolences and said we will never be as close to Gerry as you guys were.....the DJ/whatever....... said.....

your wrong there..........Gerry was like that to everyone.

R.I.P. man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭quinnd6

Gerrry Ryan was an absolute legend. No-one will ever replace him.
    He is irreplaceable. I felt so sad when I heard he had died but I thought I had dealt with it ok. I went out at the weekend and had a great couple of nights but over the last hour or so I have lost it completely. I feel so sad. It's just so not right. Over the last couple of hours I've felt so sad. More than ever before. Tonight when I was on my own I just broke won completlely and started to cry. I'm really embarassed I'm trying to hide it but I just feel so sad. I'm not going to say I'm a saint and I've listened to all his shows cos that would be bull. I haven't but I realise the impact he had on so many people. He was such a good character and entertainer and interviewer and he's going to be missed so much by everyone. All I can say really is may he rest in peace.I am so sorry as is every one is. As a country we really didn't need this. How wrong it all is.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭mikemike

You're not alone ...

I didn't think I'd be this cut up about it , but I am ... Just goes to show how much a part of our lives he actually was ,, we didn't realise until he was gone ... We all just took it for granted that he'd be there day after day ..

I got so used to his voice and sense of humour over the 20 years , not realising it'd become an integral part of my weekday routine .

They spoke yesterday on the radio about some of his past shows , shows I actually remember quite well , and only seem maybe 3-4 years ago , but in fact were 20 !! ... Where the hell did the time go ?

It's one of those things that a lot of us will remember exactly where we were when we heard he'd died ....
    It's an Elvis Presley / Jacko moment sort of thing ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

Has anyone heard about this?

Someone in Boyle Co.Roscommon has put the Domain name -

RIP GERRY RYAN . COM up for sale on Ebay.

Bidding starts @ E50! Get your PayPal ready!

http://cgi.ebay.ie/RipGerryRyan-com-Domain-Name-/230468707943?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_B_I_Business_for_Sale_CV&hash=item35a9016667

I dont know what is more unbelieveable, someone trying to make a buck, or the stupidity that such a website would be needed? Like C'mon!

I'd say he would have had a thing or 2 to say about it. RIP G

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Who the hell would buy that site?

Especially when http://www.gerryryanRIP.com/ is available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,214 ✭✭✭ICN

phasers wrote: »
    Who the hell would buy that site?

Especially when http://www.gerryryanRIP.com/ is available.

Its just strange.

I know lots of papers have been sold on the back of it this week as a result - so its no different in a way.. but its still just ****ing mad.

I'd love to know the thought processes that go into thinking "Oh Yeah.. Think I'll sell a domain name - GerryRyanXXXXXXX.com" - Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Sound for the book review who ever posted it! Very entertaining read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

jimmynokia wrote: »
    RIP GERRY
    gerry was a legend not afraid to speak the truth
    thats what made him unique
    i listened to him every morning for the last 7 year dont no what i will do now

I'd say you'll continue on your life the same as always and listen to some other presenter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 derek3475

All tho i never met you when i heard you had passed it was like loosing a member of my family you will be truly missed R.I.P G Ryan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Walking Shadow

RIP Gerry- its weird that we will never hear your voice again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

I still can't believe he's dead tbh. Its truly shocking.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,096 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Dean820 wrote: »
    +1.

Can't say I'm going to miss his style of presenting but it is really shocking that someone still relatively young and so much in the public eye is just snapped away so suddenly like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭musicmania

Poly wrote: »
    Didn't hear Fiona Looney on the air at all, (I'm not complaining btw) she worked with him for years.

She was on near the end of the show. Needless to say she was devastated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,364 ✭✭✭✭Kylo Ren

Dean820 wrote: »

Yeah its shocking allright

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement