Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gerry Ryan is dead - Mod Warning Post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

RIP Gerry. Heard about his death on the train down from Belfast, the ticket conductor was telling people. Everyone was so shocked.

Whether you liked him or not, there's no denying he shaped the way radio progressed over the past few decades. He's a household name and although I never really listened to his show, it will be odd not to hear his voice again.

My thoughts and prayers go out to his children, it must be so hard to lose their father so suddenly and at a relatively young age.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 CrackerXYZ

My thoughts are with the childern as well. It must be twice as hard when your loved one was in the public domain.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Good man Gerry you did this isle proud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭Dean820

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2p6cerxq4rk

Listen to the last words Ramsey says, mad stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,964 ✭✭✭Sitec

Honestly this isle has lost a piece of its core way too soon. Thoughts are with family, friends and the Irish public.

:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,601 ✭✭✭MidnightQueen

Thats mad Dean! When was that interview would you know?

R.I.P Gerry Ryan!

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

My mother just told me by text. Poor fella, RIP Gerry, condolences to his family.

A Legend of Irish broadcasting.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,097 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Just got a chance to tell my pappy a few hours ago, actually.

He was shocked enough! When we lived in Ireland he used to listen to Gerry all the time.

I dont think he would mind if I proxy his condolences here.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Mr Web

Legend Gerry - can't believe I won't get a chance to hear you again... condolences

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Jay D

I can't believe it. Very good show in the morning after Colm & Jim Jim. I wouldn't always be on the same level as him on some of his outspokenness but that was Gerry Ryan, if he believed in something he would have no problem speaking his mind entirely, even if he did sometimes dismiss opposition.

I am genuinely shocked and don't want to use any cliches but a complete character and who knows what happens when you die?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭eddie the eagle

lizt wrote: »
    RIP Gerry. Heard about his death on the train down from Belfast, the ticket conductor was telling people. Everyone was so shocked.

heres the thing though, just like that conducter passing on the news, we as a people get some sort of satisfaction or relief from passing on news like this. i dont know if its an irish thing but it is always aparent and i know myself ive been on the phone to people if something bad happened to pass it on. i dont think it was fair that the origional poster got grilled for posting so early or where he heard it from.

as for Gerry. i think he was someone who shone in irish society. he was a part of most peoples lives in one way or another. and nobody really has a bad thing to say about him besides disagreeing with his opinions or whatever, and i think that says a lot for the guy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Something I forgot to mention earlier when someone here asked about memories of G.Ryan.

On a recent show he was talking about freedom of speech on internet discussion boards, and guess who he qouted?...... DEGSY!..

It was so funny, I rang Degsy and we'd a great laugh about it!.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

I remember when i was working a summer job in a shop in Castleblaney a few years ago I would listen to his show in the mornings, I loved the show!!! I hated when he would leave in August for a few weeks holiday!!

Good to have positive memories of the guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭deelite

Hope this doesn't cause offence but I would like to ask this one question - on the radio show he did a run down of top 20 songs played at a funeral - does anybody know what song Gerry said he'd like played at his funeral (I think it was "Always look on the Bright Side of Life" but can't be sure).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

I think i heard someone mention 'im in the mood for dancing' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

I preface what I'm about to state by saying I'm sure everyones' thoughts are with his ex-wife and kids at this painful time and I mean no disrespect to the late Gerry Ryan, but...

Do we have any sense of proportion in this country? Our government is pouring billions into failed speculative banks while our educational and health systems are on their knees, yet the whole country seems completely wigged-out by the death of a disc-jockey.

To me this smacks of the death of Katie French all over again, prurient public interest and outpourings of crocodile tears.

Maybe as a nation, we're better at emotional outpourings than we are at outrage?
    i would not mention the two on the same page
    let me put it to you like this
    i am sick of hearing bad news from the government, especially since they caused it, i did not want to hear anymore, i have no job, and dont see much on the horizon, there are thousands like me
    i will never listen to a minister on radio or tv again
    it was depression on a plate

where as in these bleak times, when it is hard to raise a smile sometimes
    gerry raised a smile and a laugh on my face every day
    brought lite to life
    a breath of fresh air
    now we have lost that beautiful person,
    nothing to light up the mornings
    will feel this loss for a good time to come

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

goat2 wrote: »
    i would not mention the two on the same page
    let me put it to you like this
    i am sick of hearing bad news from the government, especially since they caused it, i did not want to hear anymore, i have no job, and dont see much on the horizon, there are thousands like me
    i will never listen to a minister on radio or tv again
    it was depression on a plate

where as in these bleak times, when it is hard to raise a smile sometimes
    gerry raised a smile and a laugh on my face every day
    brought lite to life
    a breath of fresh air
    now we have lost that beautiful person,
    nothing to light up the mornings
    will feel this loss for a good time to come

Thats why I found it sickening that Cowen pushed a statement out on Gerry as quick as the news broke

This from a man that has sat on his hands for the last 2+ years, if only he was as quick to deal with the obvious problems ...

Politicians like Cowen are nothing but bottom feeders

The girl on radio is close to tears I'm even filling up

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

The poor presenter, what a difficult show to do. Always downloaded the Gerry Ryan podcasts and listened at the weekends. What will fill that space now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭Asmodean

My gf put it best today when she said she was so shocked to just never hear his voice again. she said it was always comforting to hear him because he had become so synonomous with day to day life. she said it was like everyone had lost a friendly father figure. now she never even listened to him on the radio in her life. i think that truly shows the impact the great mam had in peoples lives whether you loved him or loathed him. i for one will greatly miss his company on my walks into college every morning. i think its safe to say we have all lost a dear friend. RIP

• Advertisement

What will fill that space now?

I think it will be series of guest presenters - it would be too early and disrespectful to find a suitable replacement, maybe they will wait until September to appoint full time presenter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,084 ✭✭✭Barname

deelite wrote: »
    it would be too early and disrespectful to find a suitable replacement, maybe they will wait until September to appoint full time presenter.

paddy peasant claptrap

position open, fill it, move on.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Never the greatest fan, but did tune in to his shows the odd time and they were enjoyable so given his age quite shocking.
    Reminder to all us guys though to respect the auld ticker.
    May he rest in peace

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭easyeason3

I feel sick with myself. I can't read the newspapers or search the internet fast enough for another snippet of information on Gerry Ryan's passing.

It's not going to make a difference to the man or bring him back to his family but I've suddenly developed a morbid interest in everything surrounding this story even though I veered from loving his show to absolutely hating it & back again.

I was disappointed to see pictures of his wife & various friends in a distraught state in the papers but you know it's people like me who encourage photographers to exploit this situation by buying the rags.

His poor family must be devasted & my sympathies are with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

Wasn't his biggest fan either but I remember when I was young and off sick from school, I use to just sit up in the bed eating toast and listen to the Gerry Ryan show.

At that age I didn't have a clue what he was even talking about but there was something about his voice.

Have to admit its strange to think that I won't hear his voice again.

RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Just listening to 2fm. That last bit was heartbreaking. It's serving as therapy of sorts for the listeners and probably his colleagues to some extent too. But my god it must be hard to keep going live on air when they're talking about him like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭MrDarcy

Any word yet on the cause of death??? Sounds like an aortic aneurysm or heart attack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

The shark has just been jumped.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,136 ✭✭✭ronano

tis sad

rip

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

I preface what I'm about to state by saying I'm sure everyones' thoughts are with his ex-wife and kids at this painful time and I mean no disrespect to the late Gerry Ryan, but...

Do we have any sense of proportion in this country? Our government is pouring billions into failed speculative banks while our educational and health systems are on their knees, yet the whole country seems completely wigged-out by the death of a disc-jockey.

To me this smacks of the death of Katie French all over again, prurient public interest and outpourings of crocodile tears.

Maybe as a nation, we're better at emotional outpourings than we are at outrage?

I have to disagree, people are horrendously concerned with the state of the country but that doesnt mean they cannot be upset over gerry. Even though I didnt listen to him all that much I think he was way more than a disc-jockey.

His regular listeners are upset and felt that they knew him. TBH, it is a totally different situation to Katy French in several ways.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement