Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from "John Murphy" - WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

Just heard the following:

The search directory is being turned off tomorrow. A gmail student email system was approved two weeks ago and changes are being made to the emails anyway. He extracted the emails and put them into some sort of script or programme to send one by one every 10 secs or so. Around 7000 sent so far but 4000 were blocked as spam.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

samf wrote: »
    Just heard the following:

The search directory is being turned off tomorrow. A gmail student email system was approved two weeks ago and changes are being made to the emails anyway. He extracted the emails and put them into some sort of script or programme to send one by one every 10 secs or so. Around 7000 sent so far but 4000 were blocked as spam.

Thanks for that! I presume they managed to track the guy down as well??

I would imagine so, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Didnt know what to make of it at first tbh, thought it was a joke first of all but its way too in-depth to be a prank i think. I genuinely believe that the person is mentally unwell, and hopefully will not incur serious punishment for this, but rather get the help and care that they deserve.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

Does anybody have a link to it that is NOT on Facebook? :D

Or anybody willing to forward it on to me? Drop me a PM, I'd love to have a read off of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

I thought it was all a joke really. Or a project belonging to a psychology student. And I agree with some of the stuff on that PDF. Not very shocking tbh. Whatever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

It's just like this recent facedown fad. The initial idea's mildly interesting, but I bet the vast majority of people putting up facedown pictures are just doing it in an attempt to be popular and to fit in to the fad

This recent what now?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭maglite

jimi_t2 wrote: »
    This recent what now?

Think of standing to attention, then falling flat on your face. Now take a picture of you in that position somewhere stupid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭flynny51

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

A new email from "John" has just been circulated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Furet wrote: »
    A new email from "John" has just been circulated.

Ya i just got it. Uses his real name and all this time

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

flynny51 wrote: »

Jesus those people should be ashamed. They're fueling the fire either through sheer ignorance of psychiatric issues or pure vindictiveness. Either way, that thread needs to be shut down now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

deisedude wrote: »
    Ya i just got it. Uses his real name and all this time

Could you pm that on to me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭save_our_socks

Could someone forward it on to me as well? I never got the first one but found it online. Still interested to see what its all about...is it real, a well overly thought out and implemented prank or an experiement from someone in the psy department to investigate the effects of the internet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

I really doubt it's someone from the psych department. It's the wrong time of year for participants. Everyone's up to their eyeballs in studying and it would completely skew the results.

I got the second email too.

Faith wrote: »
    I really doubt it's someone from the psych department. It's the wrong time of year for participants. Everyone's up to their eyeballs in studying and it would completely skew the results.

I got the second email too.

Was thinking that myself, was just a theory put forth by one of the lads.

Thanks for forwarding it on!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭deisedude

Sorry, i actually deleted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,238 ✭✭✭Esse85

Hi,

Sorry if you receive this a number of times. I'm using my real name this time, partly because the
    facebook profile I created last time was shut down because you're meant to use your real name,
    and I can't think of a good reason why not to. For anyone that knows/knew me, yes that is where I
    ended up, it's not my fault in any way.

Original Message
    To: ALLSTUDENTS@LISTS.UCC.IE
    Subject: [ALLSTUDENTS] Message to students regarding external email
    Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 09:42:24 +0100

>We are aware of emails received by students at UCC from
    >"John Murphy" today. We are dealing with the situation in
    >as sensitive a way as possible.

Bring me to court. I will tell them all what Dr. Byrne, UCC and psychiatry did to me and are doing to
    others. I doubt UCC will get me committed again based on me emailing the truth of what was done
    to me. I made sure to raise eyebrows the last time Dr. Byrne abused the system in a sickening way:
    changing policemen when you didn't get what you wanted, having a clueless policeman arrest me
    and bring me in for mental illness when that is only meant for if he sees someone himself out of
    control on the street. That is why he signed the committal form. Dr. Byrne or another doctor hadn't
    seen me in the previous 24 hours, they couldn't get my parents or a relative to so they had to get a
    police officer to. And this time there is no backlog of "months", and the only reason there was that
    time was because UCC was harassing me and not letting me do my assessment and exams and full
    of **** the whole time. Yes they're all sick of your ****ing bull****, you owe ME two years of wages
    for not letting me do my exams. Dr. Byrne and the psychiatrists should be locked up for years, I
    wouldn't force them drugs as I don't support cruelty and torture in any respect.

>We would like to assure all students
    >that the allegations made in this email in relation to
    >people at UCC are entirely false.

No, they are all true and you know that very well.

>Could we ask for your
    >assistance in the management of this situation by
    >refraining from responding to the email or commenting in
    >any way on the email online or on social networks.

Or what, you'll expel them as well? You'll make them go to see a psychiatrist or they're not allowed
    to do their exams? Please disregard this statement by your registrar. It has to be all over for Dr.
    Byrne, mental health at the college, sham committees, and a complete overhaul at this stage.

Look at the following emails of other poor students that Dr. Byrne has been brutally harassing and
    threatening:

"My name is <removed> and I am just like you. It all started just after Christmas. I went to the
    doctor to have a wart removed and she started asking me all these crazy questions about why I was
    so shy and why I never made eye contact with her. She made me see that bastard Dr. Byrne and,
    next minute, they were pumping me full of narcotics in this strange room. They said it was for my
    own good and that I was a danger to myself and to others because I had “acute psychosis” but I’ve
    never done anything bad in my whole life. They have ruined everything for me. They even said that
    if I told anyone they would have to expel me from UCC. I have been so frightened and disturbed
    over the last few months but, now that I have read your e-mail, I have been handed a silhouette of
    hope and, in turn, a deep anger at the injustices executed to date has been bludgeoned into life
    within me. I, like you, crave for retribution and for the ultimate exposure of this callous symphony of
    manipulation."

"Dear John Murphy,
    Please, I need help! I feel that we are in the same boat! I am an arts degree
    student and am barely making it through college. My parents are both unemployed and i can barely
    afford college myself.
    I went to see Dr Byrne a few weeks ago as i was feeling "down" about myself. After my appointment
    with him he asked to see me again the next day. I went and he began asking me very personal
    questions asking my views on certain aspects of life. Later on he suggested that i was suffering from
    some sort of "psychosis". (I cannot remember the full name as it is very long). He suggested i go on
    some sort of drug programme where i am given all sorts of pills and a course of injections. He did
    not even give a time when this course would end. I strongly felt that i did not need this and declined.
    He then became quite pushy until i just walked out. Since then, he has done some research and
    found out that my mother suffered from depression 3 years ago and that she is currently on
    medication for another type of illness. He has contacted my home and put allot of pressure on my
    parents, this is killing them at the moment. Lately he called me and said that "my future in this
    college would be questioned" if i didnt agree to this drug programme. I dont know where to turn. I
    am in pieces! I have even had suicidal thoughts to make this all end, he just wont stop. He is ruining
    my life and my families! I beg you, please help me, I dont know how much more of this me or my
    family can take!
    (This is not my real name or email address as i am terrified he will find out)."

Surely this has to stop! Surely we have to do something to help these poor individuals! Next it could
    be you being forced to see these people or being expelled at the drop of a hat, like for something
    you said on the internet! I received other emails like it as well.

Please, if you have any bit of sympathy and pity for the plight of your fellow students, and care at all
    about the security of your own place at the college and security in your position... you don't want to
    be brain-damaged by Dr. Byrne forcing you to take medication or being pushed to go to extremely
    stupid meetings or being expelled, please show your support and join this group. I had the other one
    set up but as I stated my profile got deleted. Please also raise awareness among your
    parents/others about this abuse and ask them to join also.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/create.php#!/group.php?gid=118254931529595

Overall UCC is a sham of a college, it's 2010 and they still can't even run an email server (you have
    use it on a computer in college or it's totally insecure). It's a real smart idea to have the entire
    directory available in one search, then you can't even copy and paste an email address. At least
    they're now said to be admitting they can't run even an email server properly and are going to use
    gmail instead. If you know of any other college in the entire world that has the ability to see all the
    student emails like that with one search let me know... - really, I'll send them on the pdf file and
    show them what happened to me. Maybe some professors or courses are competent and good
    enough, but the central core and management is an absolute farce.

Again if you're going to email me please don't use your student webmail account as I almost
    definitely won't receive it otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

^ I didn't get the first one but I did get that one. The whole thing is really bizzarre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

^Wierd, it's getting creepier and creepier:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34 misslily

I had heard that the student in question has been expelled since this all kicked off last week. I really hope that there is a support network to help him get through what he is at the moment.

My concern is that now all this information is on the web and open to absolutely anybody. The original pdf sent to UCC students has been passed around and forwarded probably and as well all know its quite easy to track down things on the net once its gone out there. I really hope the false information regarding mental health treatment is not being read by the wrong person putting someone's treatment at risk in anyway.

Thats not true, the student in question was expelled last year. I'd imagine there are all sorts of theories and rumours spreading round, 90% of which i'd imagine are false.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

^ I didn't get the first one but I did get that one. The whole thing is really bizzarre.

Same with me, just checked my emails now - 3.41am is when I got it

It is really bizarre all things considered!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

samf wrote: »
    Thats not true, the student in question was expelled last year. I'd imagine there are all sorts of theories and rumours spreading round, 90% of which i'd imagine are false.

I know it's nothing to do directly with SU, but I think that UCC detailing what has happened would put a stop to the rumour mill. With modern up-to-the-second communication networks such as Facebook, trying to avoid disclosing details will probably blow up in one's face.

I know it's nothing to do directly with SU, but I think that UCC detailing what has happened would put a stop to the rumour mill. With modern up-to-the-second communication networks such as Facebook, trying to avoid disclosing details will probably blow up in one's face.

I don't think it would be fair to the student in question to detail everything, some of the stuff may be confidential, it may also compromise any sort of investigation that may or may not be in progress at the moment. They could come out with some statement to say that the matter is being dealt with, as they did before, and ask people not to discuss it- it is clear that they have not caught the guy and blocked his access. Or they could be hoping that the rumour mill just dies down as the days pass! I'd say they could be advised so far not to say anything for fear of compromising things

Yeah, i know what you mean it would stop all the confusion and stuff, but they have to protect the privacy of the ex student in question i suppose, and if they start outlining everything they know about him to everyone it may well make the whole thing worse. Also it may get the media involved, and thats the last thing they want "UCC releases in depth information on mentally ill ex student to all students" - not exactly good publicity! I'd imagine like rebel girl said theyre just hoping the whole thing will die down, as it is much less fuss was made about todays email. People dont really care anymore, but its still embarrasing how easy he's been able to contact most students mulitple times. Imagine how many more sinister uses the list of student emails could have put to, wouldnt be surprised if they disable the initial.secondname@student.ucc.ie alias for all students and just left it at the student number for the time being. Also, for obvious reasons, the SU are staying out of this one.

I'm just wondering how this guy has not been stopped sending emails to these webmail accounts - is it not possible to track down where he is sending these emails from through IP addresses and block it - is there not a way to set it up so that outside emails addresses other than the @ucc.ie ones cannot send emails to webmail accounts, i.e. make the webmail completely internal??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭FarmerGreen

flynny51 wrote: »

Invalid Thread specified. If you followed a valid link, please notify the administrator

• Advertisement

yeah its possible id say to make it totally internal, but think of all the legitimate emails that go to student.ucc.ie accounts from external sources? many students use it as their primary email account, any may be using it to apply for summer jobs, email friends or any other number of things, so they'll never do that. As for blocking his IP adddress, i dont think emails sent contain the ip address of the sender, but even if they do its easy to move IP address or change it with a proxy.

Advertisement