Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Email from "John Murphy" - WTF?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭Byron85

I guarantee you he's been reading Scientology and cchr literature. It's almost a given at this stage when it comes to anti-psychiatry rhetoric.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Just noticed the time I got mine at 2.53 am.Anyone earlier?

Also,the facebook groups are a bit of a joke, not funny to joke about mental illness like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Libelous my arse. A future in politics surely awaits you Sam. You seem to be a firm believer in the tell them nothing, its for their own good mentality that is the foundation of our great political system

Ah will you give it a rest for **** sake! :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

so it is true that only some of us got the email?
    ah this is too frecky! I really hope the help is there fast. I am sure UCC staff knows who this person is by now.

I felt sorry those who has this name - "John Murphy" ...s/he should have used an unusual name.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Just some guy trying to advocate Scientology i reckon, the email is enough but the pdf document is just a 60 page rant against it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

Anyone actually read the attached PDF??

titan18 wrote: »

Also,the facebook groups are a bit of a joke, not funny to joke about mental illness like that.

I got mine last night at around 10pm but only read this morning.

Anyone actually read the attached PDF??

nope...i was afraid to do it!
    what was in it?

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

The Paws wrote: »
    nope...i was afraid to do it!
    what was in it?

I don't know, thats why I asked!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭samf

The Paws wrote: »
    so it is true that only some of us got the email?
    ah this is too frecky! I really hope the help is there fast. I am sure UCC staff knows who this person is by now.

I felt sorry those who has this name - "John Murphy" ...s/he should have used an unusual name.

For anyone wondering about the whole name thing - i wouldnt give it a second thought, as it said in the collegeroad post he simply searched various random letters/combinations of letters and emailed all them, plus he may have simply reached a limit on the amount you can send in a day. Regardless - its totally irrelevant, just dont get creeped out if you got it and your friend didnt. Same goes for times sent.

John Murphy is the name of the UCC mailinglist administrator (i.e. the person in charge of regulating all student emails) - so this name was not just plucked from the air.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

12.05 am.

I have the pdf opened, but I haven't actually read it yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,935 ✭✭✭✭titan18

samf wrote: »
    For anyone wondering about the whole name thing - i wouldnt give it a second thought, as it said in the collegeroad post he simply searched various random letters/combinations of letters and emailed all them, plus he may have simply reached a limit on the amount you can send in a day. Regardless - its totally irrelevant, just dont get creeped out if you got it and your friend didnt. Same goes for times sent.

John Murphy is the name of the UCC mailinglist administrator (i.e. the person in charge of regulating all student emails) - so this name was not just plucked from the air.

Are you sure that he got the name from that,John Murphy would be a pretty common name, I'd say there was nothing in the name choice tbh.

Also,wasn't suggesting there was anything in the times,was just interested at what time he started at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

Got mine at 1.52 a.m.

I'm wondering if he done something simpler like went on to a Facebook page related to UCC whether it be CollegeRoad, Overheard, UCC etc. and copied some names of the members over? Meh maybe I'm reading into it too much.

I'm just wondering if there'll be a follow up and it'll become more ridiculous with all the groups etc.

Are you sure that he got the name from that,John Murphy would be a pretty common name, I'd say there was nothing in the name choice tbh.
    No, not sure and it may be a random name but i'd guess not since he mentions the webmail adminstrator at the end:
    I wouldn't use your college email as it's
    possible for the webmail administrator to silently block your email from being sent to a particular email address and he
    might do that for anon1249@gmail.com.
    By the sound of it he's had a run in with the webmail adminstrator.

And ReacherCreature I honestly am convinced a random selection of students got it and it wasnt something more sinister.

And ReacherCreature I honestly am convinced a random selection of students got it and it wasnt something more sinister.

Cool. Gotcha.

I presume whatever email address this guy was sending them from has been blocked by the college now, so no one else gets it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Right im not going to say how its done but a friend of mine just showed me how to get the email addresses from UCC. After doing the search we got a list of 23,000 addresses to show up. So basicaly i can get yer name,email address and course from something thats ridiculous and should not be so open to get. Im not going to show anyone how its done but SamF if ye are in contact with UCC heads about it ill show you what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 proletarian

I read the pdf (having not been e-mailed, there's a link on peoplesrepublic) and it's basically a looooong treatise on his experiences with Dr X and so on and so forth, warnings to stay away from anti-psychotics, a plea for mankind to revert to a more natural state by eating raw foods, looking to our biological ancestry (the apes) to boycott anything processed, including an anecdote about an orangutan and its carer trying to feed it garlic...

I think it's really sad, your heart would break for the poor guy. The effort of that pdf too! It's organised in a sort of crazy, stream of consciousness way. If that makes any sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

Am I the only one here who hasn't seen this email??

Anyone know where I can see a copy? Tried googling it and couldn't find it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭Papa_Lazarou

Am I the only one here who hasn't seen this email??

Anyone know where I can see a copy? Tried googling it and couldn't find it.

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=118100534881812&topic=90

There's also a 50 page pdf document attached but i don't have a link for that.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭jimi_t2

A classic ted quote from the ''Who is John Murphy?'' facebook page;

''They say he's as big as four cats, and it's got a retractable leg so as he can leap up at you better and you know what, it lights up at night, and he's got four ears. Two of them are for listening and the other two are kind of back-up ears, and his hands are as big as cups and for some reason it's got a tremendous fear... of stamps and he's got magnets on it's back so's if you're made out of metal it can attach itself to you, and instead of a mouth he's got four arses.''

• Registered Users Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭Knifey Spoony

http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=118100534881812&topic=90

There's also a 50 page pdf document attached but i don't have a link for that.

Thanks for that, won't really be up for reading the PDF after that though. Not sure if this guy is for real, obviously not the story he tells but if he truly sick or just some random student messing about. This won't have been the first unusual email that i have received (or heard about) in my ucc email account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Strange that the guy seems to have emailed it to everyone individually though, it really looks like he was just getting individual names from the UCC site and emailing one at a time, if he had a list of some kind he would surely just have used the cc or bcc field.
    I got it at around 11.13pm but didn't see it until today, very strange stuff!

Im wondering if he was going in a somewhat alphabetical order, I got it relatively early and I would be very near the top of an alphabetical list..

That seems quite weird that he would do it by individual email address

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

That seems quite weird that he would do it by individual email address

Only authorized email addresses can send it to the allstudents etc

Ricky91t wrote: »

Ah yes that makes sense, I was wondering if he/she done this in the first place.

Ricky91t wrote: »

Yeah, but from whats been said, he sent each email individually one at a time. You can send a number of emails at a time, taken from a list online

Some person has actually set up a John Murphy account - another group been set up here

Gmail has a 500 mails sent per day limit, so either he did 500 before 12pm and 500 after, or just 500 in total. Its also possible mailing list software was used to automate the sendings...... theres a lot of possibilites really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,745 ✭✭✭Eliot Rosewater

Obviously my sympathies are with the guy who sent the email; compiling a 50 page document and sending it to 500 people is no mean feat. He must have a lot of troubles, more than I can imagine anyway, and I hope some form of meaningful communication can be established with him by those qualified to do so.
    Some person has actually set up a John Murphy account - another group been set up here

One of my pet peeves with Facebook is how people there act like such sheep: once one person does something that proves popular everyone starts clamoring in to copy them in an attempt to get a slice of the "action"; ie number of people joined your group. This is something like the 6th group I've seen on this issue.

It's just like this recent facedown fad. The initial idea's mildly interesting, but I bet the vast majority of people putting up facedown pictures are just doing it in an attempt to be popular and to fit in to the fad

It really is amazing how much importance people attach to the size of the population of their Facebook group. Some people need a serious reevaluation of the meaning of success. And the merit of being an individual and being unique, while we're at it.

/rant

Advertisement