Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on [email protected] for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact [email protected]

British Army

2456711

Comments

  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    look, if you are going to carry that chip around, at least get the name of te ****ing country right.

    it is the British Army, as in Great Britain, as in the country next door. English is British, but British not always English, got it?

    The soldiers that shot those people on Bloody Sunday could well have been Scottish or Welsh (Or even Irish for that matter). They were, however, British.

    I'm sorry Fred, there's no need for foul language, I have no chip, I thought we were having a reasoned debate on this.

    Not being from England myself, I don't understand the distinctions you make....

    Any Scots or Welsh I've ever met called themselves Scots or Welsh so I don't see you're point I'm afraid....

    Which is obviosly getting you very irate.

    This is an Irish forum, you have to try and look at it from an Irish perspective??


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    gatecrash wrote: »
    Either way we're going off topic here. Something that always happens with these threads, and something that i've (unfortunately) played my part in.

    The question was asked. Hugo, you have your opinions, I may not agree with them but you are entitled to them.

    I personally would have no issue with someone who wants to be a soldier joining the BA. Especially when there is a recruitment freeze here. OP, if you want to be a soldier, and feel that the BA is for you, then sign up.

    I'd prefer for someone to be a soldier, even if it is in a different country, than to sit on a dole queue here waiting for the recruitment freeze to thaw

    Whether you want to admit or not gatecrash I believe a large majority of Irish people think like I do....


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    I'm sorry Fred, there's no need for foul language, I have no chip, I thought we were having a reasoned debate on this.

    Not being from England myself, I don't understand the distinctions you make....

    Any Scots or Welsh I've ever met called themselves Scots or Welsh so I don't see you're point I'm afraid....

    Which is obviosly getting you very irate.

    This is an Irish forum, you have to try and look at it from an Irish perspective??

    I think his point is that the British army is, and has always been the British army, not the English Army, or Welsh Army, Or Scottish Army


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    iceage wrote: »
    And we off.......You know for a minute there I thought there was going to be some sensible Q+A.

    Unfortunately it's always going to remain an emotive subject.

    I believe a televised apology from the Queen would go a long way towards building bridges.

    That said, obviously Anglo-Irish relations are excellent at the moment and that can only be a good thing.

    But re this particular subject passions may tend to flair.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    gatecrash wrote: »
    I think his point is that the British army is, and has always been the British army, not the English Army, or Welsh Army, Or Scottish Army

    Fair enough, if you say so;)


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's always going to remain an emotive subject.

    I believe a televised apology from the Queen would go a long way towards building bridges.

    That said, obviously Anglo-Irish relations are excellent at the moment and that can only be a good thing.

    But re this particular subject passions may tend to flair.

    What has the Queen done now?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    What has the Queen done now?

    Read the thread!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    Whether you want to admit or not gatecrash I believe a large majority of Irish people think like I do....

    I wouldn't be so sure, there is a fairly large contingent of Irishmen and women serving in the British armed forces.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    Unfortunately it's always going to remain an emotive subject.

    I believe a televised apology from the Queen would go a long way towards building bridges.

    just getting back to this, regarding the Saville inquiry, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there could be criminal proceedings as a result of the inquiry, and as head of state a public address by the Queen on the matter, would be seen as pejorative.

    Actually i don't think that's the right word but hours of coding have turned my brain to mush!!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    gatecrash wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure, there is a fairly large contingent of Irishmen and women serving in the British armed forces.

    I think you'll find that the majority of Irish peoples first allegience is to the Irish armed forces.

    I'm not saying that a majority of Irish people would be rabidly, foaming at the mouth against young Irishmen joing foreign armies, including the English (British?) forces.

    I'm just saying that if a majority were asked about it, they would probably disapprove.

    I wonder why the English (British?) forces want to recruit foreign (Irish) soldiers, after all there's 60 million people over there, only a few million here, hardly a huge reservoir of manpower to tap.

    Why do they bother?

    Maybe the Irish Army should box clever and start recruitng over there or trying to....


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    gatecrash wrote: »
    just getting back to this, regarding the Saville inquiry, it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there could be criminal proceedings as a result of the inquiry, and as head of state a public address by the Queen on the matter, would be seen as pejorative.

    Actually i don't think that's the right word but hours of coding have turned my brain to mush!!!

    Can't see it happening I'm afraid.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    I think you'll find that the majority of Irish peoples first allegience is to the Irish armed forces.

    I'm not saying that a majority of Irish people would be rabidly, foaming at the mouth against young Irishmen joing foreign armies, including the English (British?) forces.

    I'm just saying that if a majority were asked about it, they would probably disapprove.

    I wonder why the English (British?) forces want to recruit foreign (Irish) soldiers, after all there's 60 million people over there, only a few million here, hardly a huge reservoir of manpower to tap.

    Why do they bother?

    Maybe the Irish Army should box clever and start recruitng over there or trying to....

    Ok, speaking as a civilian, and someone who has a general interest in military, I'd say that the majority of people (whatever nationality, whatever Army/Navy/Airforce they join) would join up for a sense of adventure, to go to places you might not get the chance to visit, and a sense of camaraderie.

    For lads who join the PDF the opportunities afforded them by joining a smaller force are considerably reduced, and the opportunities for advancement are reduced.

    If you join a bigger force, by which i mean the armed forces of a country that has bases all over the place, you could conceivably get posted to anyone of them.
    There is a side affect, in that occasionally you might get asked to put your life on the line, but that is something you would have known about before you joined up.

    Why would someone from the UK join the PDF, when the opportunities they would be afforded over here would pale into comparison with the ones offered to them across the Irish Sea?


  • Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage


    ROFL Hugo.Televised apology from the Queen, One is very amused.;)


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    iceage wrote: »
    ROFL Hugo.Televised apology from the Queen, One is very amused.;)

    I'm sure she'll consider it!:D


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    gatecrash wrote: »
    Ok, speaking as a civilian, and someone who has a general interest in military, I'd say that the majority of people (whatever nationality, whatever Army/Navy/Airforce they join) would join up for a sense of adventure, to go to places you might not get the chance to visit, and a sense of camaraderie.

    For lads who join the PDF the opportunities afforded them by joining a smaller force are considerably reduced, and the opportunities for advancement are reduced.

    If you join a bigger force, by which i mean the armed forces of a country that has bases all over the place, you could conceivably get posted to anyone of them.
    There is a side affect, in that occasionally you might get asked to put your life on the line, but that is something you would have known about before you joined up.

    Why would someone from the UK join the PDF, when the opportunities they would be afforded over here would pale into comparison with the ones offered to them across the Irish Sea?

    True, but you're not answering my question.

    Why, with a population of 60 million is England/Britain so anxious to recruit Irishmen when we have such a small population??

    Puzzling.


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    True, but you're not answering my question.

    Why, with a population of 60 million is England/Britain so anxious to recruit Irishmen when we have such a small population??

    Puzzling.
    even my 10year old grandson knows the answer to that,any BA recuitment aimed at ireland,is for boosting the irish regiments


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    True, but you're not answering my question.

    Why, with a population of 60 million is England/Britain so anxious to recruit Irishmen when we have such a small population??

    Puzzling.

    Cos they read Rudyard Kipling!! :)

    Seriously though, i'd be thinking that the recruitment drives by the British Armed Forces wouldn't be particularly aimed at people from the Republic, but more for the Irish Regiments.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    getz wrote: »
    even my 10year old grandson knows the answer to that,any BA recuitment aimed at ireland,is for boosting the irish regiments

    Why do they even have Irish regiments??

    Tradition?

    Can't let go of us?

    The Irish army doesn't have English regiments!!


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    Why do they even have Irish regiments??

    Tradition?

    Can't let go of us?

    The Irish army doesn't have English regiments!!

    The Irish regiments are historical hangovers. They were established when Ireland was part of the UK, and were established to give a sense of identity to Irishmen serving at the time.

    Now, it's tradition, it's that sense of identity, it's that feeling of camaraderie i mentioned earlier


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    Why do they even have Irish regiments??

    Tradition?

    Can't let go of us?

    The Irish army doesn't have English regiments!!
    thats up to the irish,canada has a irish regiment, the british irish regiments go back as far as 1684. a very long tradition of irish men fighting in the british army,


  • Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    I'm sure she'll consider it!:D



    Did she fart or something (Nothing she can do about Charlie) , because I still don't understand what she did


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    getz wrote: »
    thats up to the irish,canada has a irish regiment, the british irish regiments go back as far as 1684. a very long tradition of irish men fighting in the british army,

    So what?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Did she fart or something (Nothing she can do about Charlie) , because I still don't understand what she did

    Stop stirring!! :D

    You know full well why Hugo was looking for an apology


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    gatecrash wrote: »
    Stop stirring!! :D

    You know full well why Hugo was looking for an apology

    Well I'm not holding my breath tbh.

    Maybe she'll favour me with a knighthood instead or a lordship.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    So what?


    I'm not following you Hugo?? You asked why the BA has the Irish regiments, you've been given an answer.


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    Well I'm not holding my breath tbh.

    Maybe she'll favour me with a knighthood instead or a lordship.

    Now wouldn't that put you in a quandry.

    makes you Lord of the Cotswolds or something with all the priveledges therein, including the big feck off house with groundstaff and annual salary of 5 million stg per annum!! :D


  • Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug


    getz wrote: »
    thats up to the irish,canada has a irish regiment, the british irish regiments go back as far as 1684. a very long tradition of irish men fighting in the british army,


    The first Irish Guards regiment was in French colours, the present Irish Guards are a thank you for wiping out three Irish regiments in one afternoon in South Africa.

    Full of bleeding scousers they do be


  • Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    So what?
    can you imagine the gurkha regiment without gurkhas ?


  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred


    Hugo Drax wrote: »
    Why do they even have Irish regiments??

    Tradition?

    Can't let go of us?

    The Irish army doesn't have English regiments!!

    Do you really not know the difference between England and Britain?


  • Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭Hugo Drax


    gatecrash wrote: »
    Now wouldn't that put you in a quandry.

    makes you Lord of the Cotswolds or something with all the priveledges therein, including the big feck off house with groundstaff and annual salary of 5 million stg per annum!! :D

    No quandry for me, I'd accept! ;)


Advertisement