Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Army

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭effluent

I too have been wondering how to innitiate contact with the recruiting office.

You see I have an intrest in the Royal Irish Regiment and the Royal Marines. I feel a bit silly trying to to decide between two jobs that are in two different branches of the British Military.

I've been planning to go up to Belfast for an interview and discus the Army (Royal Irish Regiment) or with the Royal Navy (Royal Marines). I have a keen interst in working in either 16 Air assault Brigade or a Commando unit.

I am planning to book an interview in Belfast about a role in the army, could someone tell me if I could discus a role in the Royal Marines with the army advisor? Would I have to book a seperate interview for the Royal Marines?

Truth be told I am very keen on joining the Royal Marine but would like to discus the options in the army.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭A.Tomas

Batsy wrote: »
    Most members of the British military prefer taking an oath to the monarch rather than some politician.

Ye, that's because they're thick and ignorant.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,435 ✭✭✭✭redout

effluent wrote: »
    I too have been wondering how to innitiate contact with the recruiting office.

You see I have an intrest in the Royal Irish Regiment and the Royal Marines. I feel a bit silly trying to to decide between two jobs that are in two different branches of the British Military.

I've been planning to go up to Belfast for an interview and discus the Army (Royal Irish Regiment) or with the Royal Navy (Royal Marines). I have a keen interst in working in either 16 Air assault Brigade or a Commando unit.

I am planning to book an interview in Belfast about a role in the army, could someone tell me if I could discus a role in the Royal Marines with the army advisor? Would I have to book a seperate interview for the Royal Marines?

Truth be told I am very keen on joining the Royal Marine but would like to discus the options in the army.

Just give them a call.

I rang the the Portadown ACIO this morning and have an appointment later this week.

There is also an online chat function on the website but I tried it and the Warrant Officer said it would be far more beneficial to call into an ACIO rather than discuss online.

Still a handy service though - and runs up until 10pm mon-fri.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,752 ✭✭✭cyrusdvirus

Batsy wrote: »
    You can try all you like but you'd never be able to get an English passport, for the simple reason that none exist.

Pedant!! :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,283 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manic Moran

A.Tomas wrote: »
    Ye, that's because they're thick and ignorant.:D

[MOD]This is the first time you have come to my attention, so just a warning. The presence of a 'smiley' does not detract from the fact that the post was uncalled for and we get enough trouble from that sort of discussion as it is.

Please refrain from such.. erm... controversial generalisations in future.

NTM[/MOD]

• Advertisement

Anyone got any info on the BARB test?

I have been reading that your overall score is also based on GCSE results.

How does it work with us then? They look at Junior or Leaving ?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭rebel without a clue

i read a book a few months ago "a coward if i return, a hero if i fall" -stories of irishmen in ww1.
    the title alone says it all about what some irish people think of irish people in the british army. i was once one of those who went around muttering under my breath about "the bloody english this, the bloody english that..........they're to blame......blah blah...". when it came to backing up a statement i couldnt! anyways my point is this- f**k the begrudgers!!, those idiots who can drink in a pub at 3pm on a wednesday afternoon with a premiership jersey on them- their opinions dont matter. rise above it. alot of people who joined up back then were in similar circumstances- stoney broke with no prospects, families to feed, bored etc. i recommend this book to anyone thinking of joining up, even just to read the introduction part is inspiring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

redout wrote: »
    Anyone got any info on the BARB test?

I have been reading that your overall score is also based on GCSE results.

How does it work with us then? They look at Junior or Leaving ?

They'll take your leaving into account and any degrees if you have any.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Welshman666

They'll take your leaving into account and any degrees if you have any.
    If you have a leaving or degree though you can apply as an Officer, depending on grades of course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭booom

i think this post is about ready to be moved to the walter mitty pages. in fact, it's not the only one. all over the military board are ninny questions; 'how long does this take?' what's the test like? answer - DO IT YOU NONCE, if you have what it takes, you're grand, if not- well, at least you tried. all the rubbish about how many seconds i have to complete this and that reeks of someone looking for an excuse for a)not doing it....just yet or b)aw nuts, i just missed out by a few seconds. The easiest way of finding out how hot the water is is to put your foot in it, talking won't cool it down. I believe some of the more seasoned members of this board would agree with me that military life it one of the best...if you're cut out for it. if you're some idiot who likes the thought of travelling the world with a gun under your arm, try joining a PMC- you'll soon be put straight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭PatsytheNazi

booom wrote: »
    i think this post is about ready to be moved to the walter mitty pages. in fact, it's not the only one. all over the military board are ninny questions; 'how long does this take?' what's the test like? answer - DO IT YOU NONCE, if you have what it takes, you're grand, if not- well, at least you tried. all the rubbish about how many seconds i have to complete this and that reeks of someone looking for an excuse for a)not doing it....just yet or b)aw nuts, i just missed out by a few seconds. The easiest way of finding out how hot the water is is to put your foot in it, talking won't cool it down. I believe some of the more seasoned members of this board would agree with me that military life it one of the best...if you're cut out for it. if you're some idiot who likes the thought of travelling the world with a gun under your arm, try joining a PMC- you'll soon be put straight.
    Totally agree. If you had a Euro for every Walter who comes onto this forum with claiming he wants to join the Brits you'd be a rich man. " will I have to do this......will I have to do that......will I have to do the other" :) And as the Irish army is recruiting these days and has soldiers in the Lebannon etc, don't see why any 'Irishman' has thoughts of joining any other army but his own.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭getz

Totally agree. If you had a Euro for every Walter who comes onto this forum with claiming he wants to join the Brits you'd be a rich man. " will I have to do this......will I have to do that......will I have to do the other" :) And as the Irish army is recruiting these days and has soldiers in the Lebannon etc, don't see why any 'Irishman' has thoughts of joining any other army but his own.
    do you say that to the many thousands of irish men and women how go to england to work for british companies ? its no different he is looking to get away and do things in his life, just say good luck instead of being negative

Totally agree. If you had a Euro for every Walter who comes onto this forum with claiming he wants to join the Brits you'd be a rich man. " will I have to do this......will I have to do that......will I have to do the other" :)And as the Irish army is recruiting these days and has soldiers in the Lebannon etc, don't see why any 'Irishman' has thoughts of joining any other army but his own.

I thought there was a block on nearly all recruiting for the past couple of years ?
    The Defence Forces is now accepting applications from qualified Doctors for careers in the Defence Forces Medical Corps.
    Find out more about Medical Doctors and this competition
    The Defence Forces are still NOT accepting any NEW applications for general service in the Defence Forces.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,049 ✭✭✭discus

I reluctantly agree. There's tons of posts from people who spend 100% of their time "researching the job" and no time ringing an Army Careers Office and booking onto the next interview slot. The French Foreign Legion chaps are the worst - I'd say NONE of the posters who came on looking for information even stepped into the office in Paris!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭LondonIrish90

redout wrote: »
    I thought there was a block on nearly all recruiting for the past couple of years ?

Even if the Irish Army were recruiting, it doesn't mean anybody with a wish to join the British forces is any less of an Irish man or woman. Who has a right to dictate to another person (wherever they are from) what they should do with their life, or what their identity should be? Nobody. Its just Patsy being hugely ignorant and giving a display of that rather significant chip on his shoulder, as per usual.

Thankfully, I don't believe that anyone who posts in a thread such as this, from those wishing to join the PDF to those wanting to be a royal marine, care much for Patsy's opinion and just want any advice on offer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

This is actually bad advice. I've seen guys fail the pushups and situp tests for the irish army fitness tests because they hadn't checked the right method for doing them beforehand. For the interviews you have to know a lot of information about the job your going for because if you don't they'll think you aren't serious about joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭xflyer

I have long had Patsy on my ignore list. I would suggest everyone else do the same. He never has anything constructive to offer anyway and it's far less irritating to read threads like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

xflyer wrote: »
    I have long had Patsy on my ignore list. I would suggest everyone else do the same. He never has anything constructive to offer anyway and it's far less irritating to read threads like this.

London put the whole six counties on the ignore list for 40 odd years, it worked really well

This is actually bad advice. I've seen guys fail the pushups and situp tests for the irish army fitness tests because they hadn't checked the right method for doing them beforehand. For the interviews you have to know a lot of information about the job your going for because if you don't they'll think you aren't serious about joining.

No one is saying don't research at all, but at least get the ball rolling officially.

I attended an ACIO on friday if anyone wants to ask something about the process or what not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭RMD

London put the whole six counties on the ignore list for 40 odd years, it worked really well

Honestly, why would you post here if you have nothing of decent value to add?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 ro95

Would you need to study a specialized degree in order to become an raf pilot?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

ro95 wrote: »
    Would you need to study a specialized degree in order to become an raf pilot?

It has been mentioned numerous times here before, but unless you are a UK/British citizen you cannot become a pilot in the RAF.

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 307 ✭✭wannabegard

Well lads.
    Iv just finished college and im thinking about going to speak to a recruiter in Belfast. Im from Co. Kerry myself and im not too sure what questions to ask both over the phone and if it happens in person. Im looking at either applying for RIR, Combat Medical Technian or possible applying as an officer. Does anyone have any advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Remmy

Well lads.
    Iv just finished college and im thinking about going to speak to a recruiter in Belfast. Im from Co. Kerry myself and im not too sure what questions to ask both over the phone and if it happens in person. Im looking at either applying for RIR, Combat Medical Technian or possible applying as an officer. Does anyone have any advice?

That's a pretty massive spread of interest between job roles. I'm open to correction but I think the recruiter may mention that to you.

Mate, they entertain all manners of nutters from day to day, if you come in with a bit of keeness and a head on your shoulders they go along with your wishes, they are aware that not everyone from ireland has the exposure to what's what in the BA. Thanks ****. My original one was Biomedical Scientist, Gunner Forward Observer, RIR...Jesus!

• Registered Users Posts: 35 MrConservative

tac foley wrote: »
    It has been mentioned numerous times here before, but unless you are a UK/British citizen you cannot become a pilot in the RAF.

tac

It is not as completely black and white as that. Yes it is a no can do from the get go for a fresh recruit from Civvy Street but the rules have been conveniently bent and the thorny issue of citizenship gets quickly sorted. A number of ex RNZAF A-4K drivers were snapped up as a joblot for RAF fast movers a few years ago. The ones who wanted to stay closer to mum and dad went to the RAAF and again the paperwork was nicely sorted.

Cheers MrC

But in terms of what jobs you get. Do you choose with regiment you get sent to or is that decision made for you. For example if I wanted to become a medic. Could they say no. your gonna be a gunner instead?

As well. I know this may sound stupid. I understand that the US army have a stop loss policy where a soldiers enlistment can be extended for an unlimited period. Is there a similer policy in the british army?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 slavik

I'm strongly thinking of a career in the royal armoured corps, looking at joining the household cavalry, or one of the other formation recce regiments, I'd like the mounted ceremonial element as well as the armoured end of it, I'd probably be the only Irish lad in the regiment. Nice to see a lot of other Irish guys pursuing an opportunity with the BA I would have joined the PDF but with the recruitment ban it wasn't possible and I've turned 24 so its definitely a non runner for me.

Advertisement