Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Age Of Conan revisited :)

Options
  • 27-04-2010 11:16am
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Ive recently gone back to Age of Conan after and 18 month break from the game.
    I cant get over the difference in the game, absolutely tonnes of pve and pvp content added since i last played and
    [ ALL THE BUGS I REMEMBER ARE GONE !!! :) ive personally checked out the ones i remember :)
    Apparently Funcom have 200 people working on the game constantly evolving and developing it.
    From what i gather from my little time back playing and from the forums and community ive chatted to Funcom have seriously listened to their playerbase.
    I intended to resub for 1 month to see what the fuss was after hearing good reports but i can see myself staying a lot longer.
    The first expansion is released in 3 weeks ,new players resubbing all the time.

I still find the pvp a joke - ganking or being ganked in pvp should be at the hands of an enemy faction, not someone who you could be grouped with 5 minutes later,thankfully that doesnt bother me too much as im not a pvp fan.

PvE is my thing and thankfully the game is now packed with raids and dungeons.
    The gaming world is just stunning and brutal
    Combat is just light years ahead of any mmo in my opinion.
    A few months playing will tell me a lot but for now its looking good for AOC,im thoroughly enjoying my re-visit to the game.
    It is now what i hoped AOC would be when first released.

Check out this guys re-visit review, well worth a read for anyone remotely interested in how the game is now.

http://www.angryguildleader.com/age-conan-review/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,346 ✭✭✭Rev Hellfire

I re-subbed as well and intend to give it a good bit of time this time round.

I must say I'm torn on the open PvP thing; on one hand its a pain getting ganked, bit on the other hand it introduces a nice element of risk that is lacking on a PvE.

I must say I'm loving the combat as well. I'd second revisiting this.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played my priest for about 30 mins lastnight on Fury pvp server and no messing i was ganked atleast 8 times mostly guy groups or 3-4.
    Went back to my Conquerer on Crom pve server and could quest away in peace :) yeah im a carebear :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Enchantrix

A while ago I got an e-mail saying my AoC account was reactivated and I could play it for free for a week or so. At the time I was curious about the game so I decided to try it. The game tried to patch itself then spat out an error message and crashed. Everytime I tried to start it after that it just crashed so I never got to try it :(

I'm now really wary of playing any Mythic game (AoC, DaoC, Warhammer etc) after they started over charging customers by mistake taking large chunks of cash directly from peoples bank accounts. I read some of the horror stories and the fall out from that. Some people were left without money to buy food!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Enchantrix wrote: »
    A while ago I got an e-mail saying my AoC account was reactivated and I could play it for free for a week or so. At the time I was curious about the game so I decided to try it. The game tried to patch itself then spat out an error message and crashed. Everytime I tried to start it after that it just crashed so I never got to try it :(

I'm now really wary of playing any Mythic game (AoC, DaoC, Warhammer etc) after they started over charging customers by mistake taking large chunks of cash directly from peoples bank accounts. I read some of the horror stories and the fall out from that. Some people were left without money to buy food!

Can't comment on the issue with the AoC software you had but AoC is made by Funcom and has nothing to do with Mythic at all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Enchantrix

I think I must have been getting confused with the whole AoC DaoC thing ><

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

Sounds as if you are having fun Cully but I'm still looking to lure you back to Lotro at some stage....

Lister1 wrote: »
    Sounds as if you are having fun Cully but I'm still looking to lure you back to Lotro at some stage....

Yeah i must admit to really enjoying it.
    As for a return to LOTRO, stranger things have happened :)

Lister1 wrote: »

Perhaps we'll succeed in luring you away from lotro... surely its time for a change... all the cool kids are smoking... and playing Conan... seriously poncey tree-hugging hippy elves or manly decapitating barbarians... homely plumb stunty hobbit housewives or busty tavern wenches who'll fillet you as soon as [censored] you...

Perhaps we'll succeed in luring you away from lotro... surely its time for a change... all the cool kids are smoking... and playing Conan... seriously poncey tree-hugging hippy elves or manly decapitating barbarians... homely plumb stunty hobbit housewives or busty tavern wenches who'll fillet you as soon as [censored] you...

Yeah come on Lister, you know its worth a months subs atleast to see the changes.
    Its a great time to come back to the game,the amount of people in general chat saying they have returned recently is huge.

I still have a 2 month card for this game that i have not used yet. I might go back for a free trial and see how i get on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Is there really that much difference ? Has anybody got a link to a place that shows the new stuff they have added?

I am tempted. i want a new game to play :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

So i picked this up today for €7 in Game in Cork and aside from the 1 hour install time (8 gigs of ram, quad core i7) there's nearly 4 gigs of patches to download...Funcom really made this a tough one to actually get to play :p

nix wrote: »
    Is there really that much difference ? Has anybody got a link to a place that shows the new stuff they have added?

I am tempted. i want a new game to play :(

Go to http://community.ageofconan.com and theres a link to "whats new since launch" also a link to the latest update 7 info.

Its really a great game to play, i just love the gritty brutality.
    Dare i say it but the combat and game just feels realistic while your carrying out your combos.
    Its like your actually playing your character instead of clicking skills.
    Its a nice change to have challenging pve, not just dungeons but out in the world you really have to thread carefully and select your mobs carefully.
    If your on a pvp server theres other dangers to worry about :)

Dcully wrote: »
    Go to http://community.ageofconan.com and theres a link to "whats new since launch" also a link to the latest update 7 info.

Its really a great game to play, i just love the gritty brutality.
    Dare i say it but the combat and game just feels realistic while your carrying out your combos.
    Its like your actually playing your character instead of clicking skills.
    Its a nice change to have challenging pve, not just dungeons but out in the world you really have to thread carefully and select your mobs carefully.
    If your on a pvp server theres other dangers to worry about :)

AoC has the best mob AI iv ever seen in a game. The way mobs patrol by walking around a camp, sitting down at a fire while another mob gets up and wanders around is very well done.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,077 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Screw you guys, i'm gonna have to resub as well now. Although i vaguely remember getting a mail a while back saying they were going to delete my characters.

Yeah same, and i cant check my email in work, /cry

Good stuff lads,myself and Rev have chars on both Fury pvp and Crom pve.
    Personally i think ill stay on Crom pve,be nice to get a few of us on the same server.
    I got a guild invite lastnight from what seems to be a nice friendly guild of mature players,they use vent etc.
    Im sure you lads would be welcome.
    Unless we DARE I SAY it form a boards guild again lol :D:D:D
    Guild kiss of death right there :P

Guild kiss of death right there :P
    I truer word was never spoken.

Anyone know how big the download is? Not the patches, just the actual installer? I doubt i still have the discs lying about. Might pick up a new copy if its less then a tenner though, as i'd get the month free as well.

Give the guys in Dawnsong a shout for a good guild to join. Large guild with full T3 city and always willing to help out with questions and quests.

• Advertisement

Venom wrote: »
    Give the guys in Dawnsong a shout for a good guild to join. Large guild with full T3 city and always willing to help out with questions and quests.

Dawnsong rings a bell, i think they are on Crom ?
    Anyone know how big the download is? Not the patches, just the actual installer?/QUOTE]

I think it was 12 gig or so.
    I have the discs but i just downloaded the client,im a lazy git :D

12 gigs? Good thing i found the discs :)

I'll be on later tonight, assuming i have any money left on my credit card.

Dawnsong rings a bell, i think they are on Crom ?
    Anyone know how big the download is? Not the patches, just the actual installer?/QUOTE]

I think it was 12 gig or so.
    I have the discs but i just downloaded the client,im a lazy git :D

Yeah its a Crom guild.

Quote Fail by both of you there :P

I resubbed there, and am installing it at the moment. I think my characters have been deleted though, so its back to square one for me (which is probably a good thing)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Captain_Generic

I'd love to get back into this, but getting my lvl 52 out of the great gankfest is gonna cost me €20 on top of the sub fee. Not too sure if its worth it:D

Christ, this is one long ass installation, and i havent even gotten to the patching.

edt...**** you world! My discs are ****ed and now i need to download it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Kiith wrote: »

Karma! :P

Christ, this is one long ass installation, and i havent even gotten to the patching.

Hate that :p

Oh did I use quote right this time :cool:

I resubbed there, and am installing it at the moment. I think my characters have been deleted though, so its back to square one for me (which is probably a good thing)

I checked into it, and the mail said they are only deleting characters below level 20, which is easy and fun to get to if you didnt reach that hurdle last time but im sure you reached high level :D

• Advertisement

I think i was lvl22, but i'm gonna start again anyway. I want to do Tortage (sp?) again, as my newer pc should be able to show the game in full dx10 glory. Plus, i was a Conquerer i think, and will probably go some sort of magic class or Ranger/Assassin.

How balanced are the classes these days?

Advertisement