Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Bus Network Review

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 701 ✭✭✭BenShermin

A2000 wrote: »
    Last services Mon-sat on new 40 towards Liffey Valley from o'connell st are 22.55 & 23.30. This will put huge pressure on the 23.30 service which will probably be full leaving town with such a big gap leaving people behind along the route. The current 78A service is 23.00 23.15 & 23.30. The late evening sevice on 78A is 15 mins going to 20 mins on 40.
    That's quite shocking alright, I use the 2330 service from town at least once a week and there's always heavy loading on it as it is. I suspect people along Kilmainham, Emmet Road and Sarsfield Road could very well be left with no last bus home as a result of that stupidly long gap in service!!

In theory the new 40 has a good timetable with a big improvement on early morning departures, however in reality it will probably end up like the farce that the 13, 14 and 27 have ended up being!! I'm going to switch to using the 79/a next week for my leisure trips, thankfully I no longer use Dublin Bus anymore for commuting to and from work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

It should also be noted that the new 40 bus doesn't leave from the city centre, so its entirely dependent on how long it takes to get from Finglas to the city centre for that last journey.

Last Bus to Liffey Valley leaves Finglas at 22.50. DB's 'estimate' states it'll take 37 minutes to get to O'Connell St, but has been said here, thats usually an average of on/off peak times. It could take less than 20 minutes to make that journey on a weekday night IMO. Which means the last bus could leave O'Connell st at 11.10

Stranegely, the last bus on Sunday leaves at the later 23.00

The last bus to Finglas leaves Liffey valley at 22.40 (and again, ten minutes later on Sunday)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,559 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Incorrect - The last bus will hold until 23.30 in O'Connell Street. That is a standard instruction on the driver's board.

That is the same as the 9, 16 (16a is 2320), 46a, 145 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,178 ✭✭✭✭Dodge

Fair enough, wasn't aware of that as I haven't used those buses

Thanks for clarifying

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,665 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

lxflyer wrote: »
    Incorrect - The last bus will hold until 23.30 in O'Connell Street. That is a standard instruction on the driver's board.

That's in the unlikely event it is early. Several northbound 13s and 27s have only been on Dame St at 2330/2335, yet to get to their midway points of Eden Quay and Parnell Sq..

• Advertisement

I very much doubt a 40 leaving Finglas at 2250 or Liffey Valley at 2240 would be late for 2330, unless it were knock-on effects from earlier departures?

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭terriepodonnell

Hi,

I understand that the changes to the route 40 take place this sunday 13.11.2011.

Currently routes 40, 40a & 40d all operate from Parnell Street to Finglas.

The Dublin Bus web site says

"Please note route 40 and 40d will no longer operate via Mountjoy Square when operating toward Finglas."

Currently routes 40a & 40d serve the Cardiffsbridge Road in Finglas.

It appears that after the changes that only route number 40 will serve the Cardiffsbridge Road.

What bus route(s) will serve the Cardiffsbridge Road in Finglas after the changes ?

The Dublin Bus web site also has the following

"Route 40 City Centre Bus Stops

Towards Liffey Valley
    Parnell Square East Bus Stop PN
    O’Connell Street Bus Stop OP
    D’Olier Street Bus Stop CJ
    College Green Bus Stop 4521

Towards Finglas
    Central bank Bus Stop 1358
    Westmoreland Street Bus Stop CD
    O’Connell Street Bus Stop OF
    Parnell Square East Bus Stop PH"

It appears that the outbound stop for the number 40 OF is the same as the number 4, 9 & 13 which is outside the Dublin Bus Office/Carrolls in O'Connell St.

It appears that the inbound stop for the number 40 OP is at Burger King, O'Connell St (at the junction of O'Connell St/Cathedral St).

Will the 40 & 40d be operating via Parnell Square & Dorset St outbound ?

Many thanks,

Terri.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dfx- wrote: »
    That's in the unlikely event it is early. Several northbound 13s and 27s have only been on Dame St at 2330/2335, yet to get to their midway points of Eden Quay and Parnell Sq..

I've seen north bound 13's hit Dame street at 23:43 which is great as you can squeeze one last pint in :-)

Route 40 will serve Cardiffsbridge Road.

The 40d will pass the northern end of it as it now will operate via Mellowes Road and the N2.

The 40, 40b and 40d will all operate via Parnell Square West and Dorset Street going to Finglas.

Look at the "View maps" button on each timetable to see the revised routings.

I very much doubt a 40 leaving Finglas at 2250 or Liffey Valley at 2240 would be late for 2330, unless it were knock-on effects from earlier departures?
    If anything those timings are very generous. The only delay to the 40 at that time of night will be the taxi car park on Dame Street:mad:.

• Advertisement

yes, exactly
    bk wrote: »
    I've seen north bound 13's hit Dame street at 23:43 which is great as you can squeeze one last pint in :-)

The 2330 service northbound last night was at the Kylemore junction before Bluebell inbound at 2320, wonder if it made it:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 22 SafetyPin

So today, at around 4:30pm three 13's were destined for Harristown at the bus stop (RTPI display) outside starbucks on Dame Street. One did not show up. The other two arrived within a minute both saying 13C O'Connell Street (which was then a further 15minutes wait for the next bus to turn). Alot of angry customers were told to get off the bus there because he wasn't going further (even though display did say O'Connell Street)

Why can't the signs just say 13C? It's just so dis-heartening to wait for the bus after a long day and then it not actually go anywhere you need it to.

Some displays show a 16C as a 16A Parnell Sq....

The text service didn't catch the 1940 ex-Grange Castle service..operated by AV338. At 1923, it determine a 151 next at 1936, then a 13 at 2004, another 13 at 2005 and a 151 at 2006. AV338 did operate out from the city, so it should've picked it up?

Also, it turned out that it was right, there two 13s in convoy heading north through Clondalkin. AV279 and AV297 were the two..they were linked like a train carriage all the way to Kilmainham, when AV297 (always had been behind with no-one on board) turned the lights off and headed on its merry way Out of Service..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

SafetyPin wrote: »
    So today, at around 4:30pm three 13's were destined for Harristown at the bus stop (RTPI display) outside starbucks on Dame Street. One did not show up. The other two arrived within a minute both saying 13C O'Connell Street (which was then a further 15minutes wait for the next bus to turn). Alot of angry customers were told to get off the bus there because he wasn't going further (even though display did say O'Connell Street)

Why can't the signs just say 13C? It's just so dis-heartening to wait for the bus after a long day and then it not actually go anywhere you need it to.

because dublin bus are operating a scam would be my guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭KD345

SafetyPin wrote: »

Have you reported this to Dublin Bus and the National Transport Authority?

New timetable for Route 77A.
    Route 77a
    Thursday, November 10, 2011
    Dublin Bus wishes to advise customers of a timetable change to Route 77a from Monday 21st November.

Route 77a will have a minor timetable change. Changes to this service will improve reliability and follows feedback from customers and a post implementation review. The timetables have also been adjusted to reflect changing customer loading patterns.

http://www.dublinbus.ie/en/News-Centre/Travel-News/Route-77a/

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭A2000

Says on db website that they have secured a new terminus for 40 in finglas village but gives no information as to where it is. Was supposrd to be finglas place which imo is a good location for buses laying over due to its width.

For anyone interested AV195 on the last 78a from L. Valley to Town, AV291 on the last 78a from Town to L. Valley.

Was it AV291? I saw RV520, AV405 and AV406 lined up outside SuperValu on Aston Quay at 2310. RV520 left at 2310, AV405 operated at 2320, but didn't see if AV406 departed. AV195 had been on the route all day..

Anyone know what will happen to C/Rd's RVs...three digital displays could stay, the scroll RVs sold or sent to Ringsend? There's some great buses there that might be hard to sell...RV532 in particular.

Next finglas bound 40 not for 31 mins. Quite a big gap already.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

A2000 wrote: »
    Next finglas bound 40 not for 31 mins. Quite a big gap already.

its sunday

Yes so its a 20 min frequency. If a bus is running 11 mins behind today that doesnt bode well for weekdays. Incidentally 40 was running with gaps of 8 mins earlier in the morning so doesnt look like controllers are monitoring rtpi info. According to db real time info there will be a 40 at 16.08 16.10 & 16.15 from ballyfermot. Something not right here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

The new 40 worked great for me today.

Using my Android app I noted a fairly steady 20 minute gap at my stop this morning. Picked up an inbound service (old 78A) without problem. Didn't see any passengers looking confused. Timetable at my stop was updated some time yesterday evening. All stops en route seemed to be showing number 40. Big yellow arrow signs on Sarsfield Road & Inchicore to help drivers.

Outbound this evening picked up a 40 on O'Connell St. Although 2 minutes later than the estimate on my Android app. A good few passengers boarded there too. So it seems most people managed the change quite well.

The College Green stop will suit me most evenings.

Bring on the 79 to Amiens St for my morning trip :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

For confusion, wait until late morning tomorrow when the skangers get out of bed.

"Wha's daaa, a fooooorty??"
    "I don wanna go ti Finglis, I'm only goin ta bleedin' towwwn"

I took a spin on the new 40 earlier today and it seems to be running fine. Passengers were aware of the change and the drivers were good in assisting those who asked questions. The driver northbound used the PA system to inform passengers where they could board the bus back towards Liffey Valley. There also seems to be good running time on the route, as the bus ahead of mine had yet to depart when we arrived in Finglas.

Hopefully this continues going forward.

Next buses 18.40 18.45 & 19.24. Looks like the 18.50 from liffey valley is not opetating.

I got a southbound 40 in Drumcondra this afternoon, AV167. Seemed to be fine, didn't notice any problems. The driver, ex Harristown, kept checking his notes for the stops when in Ballyfermot but that's to be expected this early in the game. As I live in Fairview I'm looking forward to the 79 extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭thomasj

Has anyone heard anymore on whats going on with the 76s, any update on a launch date?

Not a word yet.

They appear to be focussing on the changes that deliver savings in resources at the moment.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 275 ✭✭Bazzer2

And still, the 210 lives on ........

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement