Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Violet - The National

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,258 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Having listened to this 4 or 5 times now I have to say I'm quite disappointed. They haven't pushed on from the excellent Boxer and the album feels really flat. There's not really a track on there that makes me go "I'll just listen to that one more time" or "oh, here comes that one again". Boxer took a few goes to get into but there were a few catchy songs right from the first listen that got better and better on subsequent listens. Alligator was similar but overall there were more mediocre songs on it.

This is just, total meh. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but I'm struggling to find anything right with it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭GirlOfGlass

I really love High Violet. Especially Terrible Love, I could listen to it over and over.
    But I don't think anything could beat Boxer.

I love this album.

England is an amazing song, sounds very similar to Sufjan Stevens songs Concering the UFO.

Going to see them at Pukkelpop in a couple of weeks, cant wait.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

England is an amazing song, sounds very similar to Sufjan Stevens songs Concering the UFO.

That's it...I've been scratching my head trying to figure out where I've heard that riff before, thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Having listened to this 4 or 5 times now I have to say I'm quite disappointed. They haven't pushed on from the excellent Boxer and the album feels really flat. There's not really a track on there that makes me go "I'll just listen to that one more time" or "oh, here comes that one again". Boxer took a few goes to get into but there were a few catchy songs right from the first listen that got better and better on subsequent listens. Alligator was similar but overall there were more mediocre songs on it.

This is just, total meh. Nothing particularly wrong with it, but I'm struggling to find anything right with it either.

I'm shocked that anybody could regard this album as "total meh". In the top 3 albums of 2010 so far by a distance. There are no songs that I don't want to listen to again. I've had it for a fair few months so I've relaxed a bit on how much I listen to it but when I do I usually listen to the whole thing right through. A remarkable album.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭rebeve

One of the best bands on the planet , and another fine album .

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭girvtheswerve

I really love High Violet. Especially Terrible Love, I could listen to it over and over.
    But I don't think anything could beat Boxer.

Got it in one. Boxer is an amazing album. Very tough to top.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭part time punk

Thought I read somewhere that they might be playing in Dublin in early December in the Olympia? Anyone else heard anything? Not going to Electric Picnic but would love to see them. Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

That'd be super if they played their own gig. Someone else posted that they may support Arcade Fire on a second date in December.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,164 ✭✭✭Konata

hshortt wrote: »
    That'd be super if they played their own gig. Someone else posted that they may support Arcade Fire on a second date in December.

That'd be awesome but nope, Vampire Weekend have been confirmed to support Arcade Fire for the Monday night too :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

If they are both in town at the same time though, I wouldn't be surprised if Richard Reed Parry ducked his head into The National show.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The National will have a few dates in the olympia in early december, it's on a few blogs and Jim Carroll said the same in the arcade fire marathon blog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

Pitchfork are reporting today that a 2 cd version of high velvet is coming out in November, tracklisting is as follows

Cd2
    01 Terrible Love (Alternate Version)
    02 Wake Up Your Saints
    03 You Were a Kindness
    04 Walk Off
    05 Sin-Eaters
    06 Bloodbuzz Ohio (Live on The Current)
    07 Anyone's Ghost (Live at Brooklyn Academy of Music)
    08 England (Live at Brooklyn Academy of Music)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Hate when bands do this, no doubt it's part of what leads to declining sales in albums because fans believe a reissue will happen to further push the album a few months down the line.

Luckily, I haven't bought it, though I have it on my ipod, so I'll get this copy. I was hoping a reissue would have a live DVD.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭Damian Duffy

Hate when bands do this, no doubt it's part of what leads to declining sales in albums because fans believe a reissue will happen to further push the album a few months down the line.

Luckily, I haven't bought it, though I have it on my ipod, so I'll get this copy. I was hoping a reissue would have a live DVD.

Agree wholeheartedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭indiewindy

I held out until 3 weeks ago before buying, so not too amused

• Registered Users Posts: 283 ✭✭Trafford Lad

I recently bought Boxer after being blown away by High Violet and seeing it mentioned so much here...really love Mistaken for strangers-....great pace and tempo to it,super song to storm home from work to! Amazing band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Colm!

Randomly bought this last Thursday.
    It's GREAT. Love it.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Sútalún

Love this version so much, and great video as well. Always love seeing them before gigs, behind the scenes etc..such normal people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sútalún wrote: »

Love this version so much, and great video as well. Always seeing them before gigs, behind the scenes etc..such normal people.

I have to say I prefer the normal version, I dont like that extra drum near the start, it seems to make it less haunting. But its still a good version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Is that not either the Castlerock Sessions or Jimmy Fallon version?

Archimedes wrote: »
    Is that not either the Castlerock Sessions or Jimmy Fallon version?

Yeah think it's the Jimmy Fallon version, in conjunction with a video made by Matt's brother.

I personally always prefered the drums in that version..

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭GopErthike

Isn't that the olympia right at the end?

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭useded

What are the more screamier National songs like Abel?

useded wrote: »

Slipping Husband, Available.. Eh all I can think of but Im sure theres more. Some of their better songs!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

useded wrote: »
    Matt is way more "screamier" live!
    Check out clips of Squalor Victoria, Mr. November, etc.

Playing on Zane Lowe at the moment.. Mmmm. I can't tire of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vk5d0

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭JesseCuster

Sútalún wrote: »
    Playing on Zane Lowe at the moment.. Mmmm. I can't tire of them.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00vk5d0

Thanks for the heads up!

About Today sounded wonderful

• Advertisement

Thanks for the heads up!

About Today sounded wonderful

Yeah really did.. Quite similar to the Virginia Live Version.. Only caught that and Terrible Love. Not sure if they played anymore.

Advertisement