Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Violet - The National

Options
  • 19-04-2010 11:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭

Has leaked in ok quality. Not big on indie but its hard not to enjoy 'Boxer' and Alligator'.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

For anyone interested New York times are streaming their album on Friday. On the bands mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Sounded good on the first listen, but I deleted it as the quality was annoying me.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Beautiful album.

Best opening lines i've heard in ages, from "Sorrow"

"Sorrow found me when I was young
    sorrow waited, sorrow won"

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

I think I'll wait for the stream on Friday. I don't want my first listen to be a low quality one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

Scien wrote: »
    This second last song England is quite special indeed.

Hooked on the album after one listen.

Agreed - England is indeed a beautiful song. However, I think they may have ballsed up by choosing Terrible Love as the album's opener. It's a pretty leaden version at best and given the fact that they performed it wonderfully on US television about a month ago, it's an immediate downer.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭twilightsection

Corholio wrote: »
    Beautiful album.

Best opening lines i've heard in ages, from "Sorrow"

"Sorrow found me when I was young
    sorrow waited, sorrow won"
    Totally agree with you..they continue to amaze me.
    One of the few bands out there who have any substance about them.

If anyone comes across that streaming link from New york times (Band say it is streaming album today) can they post it.
    No luck finding it so far. This is link to the website where it will be streamed on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

If anyone comes across that streaming link from New york times (Band say it is streaming album today) can they post it.
    No luck finding it so far. This is link to the website where it will be streamed on today.

It won't be available until 1.30pm today Irish time and will be streaming until 27th April.

Apparently this is the link

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/25/magazine/25national-t.html

Enjoy! Should be a cracker from what I've heard so far.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,360 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

just listening now

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    just listening now
    Very impressed with album so far. Great idea to stream album. Would encourage anyone to take a listen.
    Going to make a point of getting this album. Production is excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭Heisenberg.

This post has been deleted.

Scien wrote: »
    It's a fine opener I think but I kind of agree with you on the above. Maybe it's because I'm so used to listening to the Jimmy Kimmel version which is a lot more rockier & loud than the album version. Especially towards the end of the song.

Still, what a great great album. I can't get the songs and this lyric out of my head: "Your voice is swallowing my soul soul soul soul soul...." :pac:
    Yeah noticed that Terrible Love version was a bit quieter

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭deisedude

Just listening to it now, absolutely love it. Very interesting arcticle about the National on the New York Times website too

Any stand out tracks for anyone apart from the ones we already know, ie Bloodbuzz Ohio and Terrible Love

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭twilightsection

Any stand out tracks for anyone apart from the ones we already know, ie Bloodbuzz Ohio and Terrible Love

Sorrow, Lemonworld and London...amazing tracks..

These quotes are from a guy who commented on the todays article in the NYTimes..I couldnt have put it better myself..

"The National are one of the greatest bands of our time. For me, a mid-thirties single dad who's been broken down and rebuilt, they are like best friends to me. I never really liked indy-pop sounding music but they grabbed ahold of me from the first time I heard 'Fake Empire'. I am crazy about American Literature and these guys just mesh with that passion. I'm going to see them in Boston at The House of Blues in June. I had to save up for three months to buy a plane ticket and hotel, that's how much they mean to me.
    The article was spot on and was a nice glimpse into the lives of the five guys who make such thought provoking and heartfelt music for those of us who feel their middle-agedness."

• Registered Users Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Sorrow, Lemonworld and London...amazing tracks..

These quotes are from a guy who commented on the todays article in the NYTimes..I couldnt have put it better myself..

"The National are one of the greatest bands of our time. For me, a mid-thirties single dad who's been broken down and rebuilt, they are like best friends to me. I never really liked indy-pop sounding music but they grabbed ahold of me from the first time I heard 'Fake Empire'. I am crazy about American Literature and these guys just mesh with that passion. I'm going to see them in Boston at The House of Blues in June. I had to save up for three months to buy a plane ticket and hotel, that's how much they mean to me.
    The article was spot on and was a nice glimpse into the lives of the five guys who make such thought provoking and heartfelt music for those of us who feel their middle-agedness."

Ya definitely, those 3 tracks are stormers. For me Little Faith has grown on me enormously, where it is probably my favourite track now. Not a huge fan of Runaway right now but maybe it will grow on me.

Ill probably just end up naming every track on the album saying that I like, so i'll just throw out there that Conversation 16 is sonically almost perfect, love the opening minute of it.

Corholio wrote: »
    Ya definitely, those 3 tracks are stormers. For me Little Faith has grown on me enormously, where it is probably my favourite track now. Not a huge fan of Runaway right now but maybe it will grow on me.

Ill probably just end up naming every track on the album saying that I like, so i'll just throw out there that Conversation 16 is sonically almost perfect, love the opening minute of it.
    Yes debating whether to buy album on Itunes or in shop. Elbow produced a digital lyrics ball for Seldom Seen Kid. Yeah Lemonworld and England are good. Its a slow burner which is a very good sign.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Blah, boards.ie ate my edited post.

Anyway, yeah. Neither a middle-aged dude or a big National fan, but I love this to bits. Some of their older stuff - with the exception of Mistaken for Strangers - left me a bit cold, but this is spot on, IMHO, I love every note of it. I dunno if it's my own bias, but I feel like Richard Parry's influence on it is audible, in the choral vocals most obviously, but the strings and some of the guitar too.

Standout tracks for me at the minute are probably Anyone's Ghost or Afraid of Everyone, but I've a feeling that will change every day for the next while. It's changed since I first posted this, anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Just gave it a first listen and it was quite enjoyable.

Will have to give it a few more spins though I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭X-Calibre

Having a listen to the stream for the first time and I'm loving it. Really liking Lemonworld. I'll have to give a more detailed response after a few more listens

And yeah that article on the nytimes sight was a really nice insight into the band.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Aww, what an album. Just spectacular, the last three songs just lift it so much towards the end and it just leaves you feeling great. The best thing is its going to get better with every listen! Can't wait for the 10th of May to get my hands on this properly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Nice to see you like the album:)

Mojo only gave it 3 stars:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Aridstarling

Mojo don't know ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 712 ✭✭✭arsenallegend

Mojo don't know ****.

to be fair they are a great read
    this months is a good one

I've been a big National fan for the last 6 years - (since the Cherry Tree EP) and having listened to High Violet 4 or 5 times now, I reckon it's their best album yet.

And believe me I love Alligator and Boxer - there's just something more mature and complete sounding about this one. Initially I was disappointed that Matt Berenger doesn't scream at any stage (a la Mr. November, Squalor Victoria)...but maybe its that extra maturity .. not feeling the need too.

Plus the lyrics are outsanding and the songs grow on you exponentially - I thought Sorrow was bland the first time I heard it - now I love it. And the closing track - Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks is one of their finest songs of all time.

What a year for music this is turning out to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,128 ✭✭✭mosstin

I've been a big National fan for the last 6 years - (since the Cherry Tree EP) and having listened to High Violet 4 or 5 times now, I reckon it's their best album yet.

And believe me I love Alligator and Boxer - there's just something more mature and complete sounding about this one. Initially I was disappointed that Matt Berenger doesn't scream at any stage (a la Mr. November, Squalor Victoria)...but maybe its that extra maturity .. not feeling the need too.

Plus the lyrics are outsanding and the songs grow on you exponentially - I thought Sorrow was bland the first time I heard it - now I love it. And the closing track - Vanderlyle Crybaby Geeks is one of their finest songs of all time.

What a year for music this is turning out to be!

Och, VCG sounds a bit too The National by numbers for me. England however, with its closing refrain...mmmmmm.....

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Just gave it a first listen and it was quite enjoyable.

Will have to give it a few more spins though I reckon.
    Yes its a slow one Xavi. But production very good. Have heard Bloodbuzz ohio on my car stereo and it really sounds good.
    Anyone know how long they have been on 4ad?

mosstin wrote: »
    Och, VCG sounds a bit too The National by numbers for me. England however, with its closing refrain...mmmmmm.....

Have you read the article beside the NY Times stream? This band don't do things by numbers...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,053 ✭✭✭Aldebaran

The album is simply amazing. I can't pin down a favourite track right now, it changes with every listen. I don't think theres a bad track on there.

Advertisement