Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

High Violet - The National

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Point being that the less i play it the more I will enjoy it. Quite content to listen to this over a long period of time.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭Placid_Casual

Point being that the less i play it the more I will enjoy it. Quite content to listen to this over a long period of time.

I understand the listening over a long period of time thing, but not the less is more thing. If I really like something I want to listen to it over and over. Case in point, I listened to Merriweather Post Pavillion 50+ times last year and still do every now and then and will do, I imagine, for years to come.
    Guess we just have different listening habits but I probably have to listen to something about 20 times before I could actually say I really love it. I'm still undecided how I actually feel about High Violet. For me, its like going out with a girl...i'd never say I was in love with a girl after 5 dates!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 804 ✭✭✭yerayeah

Haven't really had a chance to listen to the album through yet, but it seems very good. Last night, I was sh1ting around and I came across a live stream of the National playing live on youtube and the new songs more than held their place with stuff from the last 2 albums which is a good sign!

Stayed listening for bout an hour, until as an intro to "England", the band started joking that people listening live in England were pretty sad since it was 3 in the morning, and I agreed, so I went to bed!:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

It was a benefit show for Red Hot, the Aids organisation they did Dark Was The Night For. The stream was here, but is now only available to people accessing from the US (or people who look like they're accessing from the US. ;) )

Sufjan Stevens and one of the Arcade Fire guys were playing with them onstage too. It was a good show, the band were far better than they were on Jools Holland anyway, but the crowd was a bit too reserved for my tastes right up until Matt went for a walk through the audience for the last song.

I daresay there'll be a torrent of it floating around soon, too. It was a nice set, in nice quality, so if you're into them, definitely seek it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Anyone know what track(s) Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) is singing on?? Wikipedia says he contributes vocals, perhaps just obscure background vox

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭hshortt

Favourite album of the year so far, a great sound from start to finish. Feel that Terrible Love is possibly under-rated, for me it took a few listens but it's one of my top tracks now. The beats and melody just build and build like it's a demo, with layer upon layer and it's just catchy.

Hope the album gets the band the attention they deserve.
    Hope they continue to be exciting in their music.

They play in the electric picnic in September.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭tailgunner

hshortt wrote: »
    Feel that Terrible Love is possibly under-rated, for me it took a few listens but it's one of my top tracks now. The beats and melody just build and build like it's a demo, with layer upon layer and it's just catchy.

Totally agree. Having watched that clip of Terrible Love on Fallon over and over for weeks before the album came out, I was a little disappointed with the production of it on the album, but it's grown on me.

On an unrelated note, I can't get over how good the drumming on this album is. Really amazing stuff. That bit at the end of Afraid of Everyone is magic.

tailgunner wrote: »
    Totally agree. Having watched that clip of Terrible Love on Fallon over and over for weeks before the album came out, I was a little disappointed with the production of it on the album, but it's grown on me.

On an unrelated note, I can't get over how good the drumming on this album is. Really amazing stuff. That bit at the end of Afraid of Everyone is magic.
    Good point. Drumming on Bloodbuzz Ohio superb. Really sets the tempo for the song.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Good point. Drumming on Bloodbuzz Ohio superb. Really sets the tempo for the song.

Yup drumming will do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

Anyone know what track(s) Justin Vernon (Bon Iver) is singing on?? Wikipedia says he contributes vocals, perhaps just obscure background vox

Justin Vernon's on Terrible Love, as far as I know. Sufjan Stevens is on Afraid of Everyone. Richard Parry plays on most of the songs, but most recognisably does the choral stuff for Conversation 16.

Liner notes, out of interest, worth a look if you're an indie music trainspotter like me. :D

highvioletlinernotes.jpg

• Advertisement

okay here it is the official video for Bloodbuzz ohio. enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Liner notes, out of interest, worth a look if you're an indie music trainspotter like me. :D

A bit like myself :) Dont have the CD sleeve yet so couldnt tell who sings what, Sufjan Stevens too, WOW an all star line up for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭Monkey61

I hate having to say this...I really do. But I am actually disappointed with the album. Massively, massively disappointed.

I adore The National. Love all the other albums to bits. But this just isn't rocking my world.

I loved Terrible Love on Jimmy Fallon (?), great, great, but not as good on the recording. Now Bloodbuzz Ohio I think is absolutely amazing track. Could listen to it constantly for the rest of my life and possibly not get sick of it. I liked Runaway the first time, but am sick of it already. Anyone's Ghost and Afraid of Everyone are okay and Vanderlyle might be growing on me.

But that leaves 5 songs that do absolutely nothing other than bore me....

Help! How am I missing something here? Do I just need to keep listening? I have had it on loads all week, but it just isn't clicking whereas all the other albums were good first time but I fell in love with a little more with every listen until I was just drowning in the joy of them!

See where you are coming from in away. Know there were were some Nirvana fans who didnt like Nevermind having started with Bleach so they have this pre conception of what band's sound should be.
    Same with Oasis. I liked definitely Maybe but was a bit disturbed with the change of direction with "Whats the Story Morining glory"
    As for the National this is my first real taste of them so have no preconceptions of them.
    Again I expect it to be in top three albums of year at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

I ****ing love the album
    i'm a convert, now to go back and discover what i have been missing.
    any tips on which album to start with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭NapoleonInRags

hyperbaby wrote: »
    I ****ing love the album

Work Backwards - Boxer, then Alligator, then Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers and Cherry Tree EP. The self-titled debut is the weakest but still worth checking out.

NME Radio carried a link to some of their earlier stuff a few days up. Might still be there.
    Anyway this this pitchfork review. Gave it 8.7
    http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/14203-high-violet/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+PitchforkAlbumReviews+%28Pitchfork%3A+Album+Reviews%29

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭hyperbaby

Work Backwards - Boxer, then Alligator, then Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers and Cherry Tree EP. The self-titled debut is the weakest but still worth checking out.

Thanks for the tip.
    i have all of them at work so i'll listen to them later on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,658 ✭✭✭✭Peyton Manning

Hopefully this isn't against charter

<SNIP>Sorry it is against the charter</SNIP>

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,006 ✭✭✭donfers

Why isn't this available on <SNIP> yet??

I knwo nobody will answer this but there I said it and I feel good about it but I still don't have the album

<Please don't ask about getting albums from legally suspect sites.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Monkey61 wrote: »
    I hate having to say this...I really do. But I am actually disappointed with the album. Massively, massively disappointed.

I adore The National. Love all the other albums to bits. But this just isn't rocking my world.

I loved Terrible Love on Jimmy Fallon (?), great, great, but not as good on the recording. Now Bloodbuzz Ohio I think is absolutely amazing track. Could listen to it constantly for the rest of my life and possibly not get sick of it. I liked Runaway the first time, but am sick of it already. Anyone's Ghost and Afraid of Everyone are okay and Vanderlyle might be growing on me.

But that leaves 5 songs that do absolutely nothing other than bore me....

Help! How am I missing something here? Do I just need to keep listening? I have had it on loads all week, but it just isn't clicking whereas all the other albums were good first time but I fell in love with a little more with every listen until I was just drowning in the joy of them!

I understand where you are coming from. I don't think this album is anywhere near as good as Alligator or Boxer, but it's still absolute quality and better than most albums you'd hear!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

See where you are coming from in away. Know there were were some Nirvana fans who didnt like Nevermind having started with Bleach so they have this pre conception of what band's sound should be.
    Same with Oasis. I liked definitely Maybe but was a bit disturbed with the change of direction with "Whats the Story Morining glory"
    As for the National this is my first real taste of them so have no preconceptions of them.
    Again I expect it to be in top three albums of year at least.

LOL!!! What on earth are you talking about?? They are practically the same album. In fact, the only time Oasis took a 'change of direction' is when they went completely downhill with Standing On The Shoulders of Giants.

Ha ha!! I can't believe you used the term 'change of direction' in the same sentence as Oasis!!

monkey9 wrote: »
    LOL!!! What on earth are you talking about?? They are practically the same album. In fact, the only time Oasis took a 'change of direction' is when they went completely downhill with Standing On The Shoulders of Giants.

Ha ha!! I can't believe you used the term 'change of direction' in the same sentence as Oasis!!
    Are you seriously telling me Definitely Maybe and Whats the Story morning glory are the same?

This available to stream. Got this from NME site so link seems kosher.
    http://www.we7.com/#/album/Alligator!albumId=234010

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sivski

hyperbaby wrote: »
    I ****ing love the album

I'm intrigued to see what you think as you listen to them, I kind of wish they were new to me so I could have the excitement again of finding the best band in the world :)

Keep us updated on where you start and what you think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭ElaElaElano

One listen in and I'm impressed- and really fúcking tired. It's exhausting, but in a good way. The only other record of theirs I have is Cherry Tree (about today might just be the best song ever written) and I loved that so maybe it's time to start building the collection. Gonna get hold of Boxer over the weekend.

Had a brief listen to the Boxer and this offering (High Violet )seems to be their strongest. Can see them releasing three or four singles of this one.
    Will be curious to see how they deal with the success of the album.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Sivski

I have to say that Alligator is probably my favourite, but they're all amazing (apart from their debut which I'm not keen on). Cherry Tree is spectacular I think. The Virginia EP is great too.

Spiritoftheseventies: It will be v.interesting to see alright, I think they'll go about it the right way. They said they held back from making HV as epic as it was going to be because they didn't want to get lumped with that tag. I think because they're that bit older than a lot of big bands they'll be able to handle it well. Selfishly, I really hope they don't get too big. It's mad that they're so high in the charts

• Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Finally got the album (had only been streaming it previously) and it just gets better with every listen. It's a good sign when you can stick it on shuffle and not skip a song.

It's as good as Boxer imo, but in a different kind of way.

• Advertisement

Yes listening to the boxer now. Better than Alligator IMO.

Advertisement