Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bogtrotters Marathon, 24/7/10

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

I don't normally moan about races and I've had some really, really bad days this year, but....

Rating the race:
    Scenery: Poor. 0 stars. Very boring race not much to see other than bog and cows.

PB potential: 0 stars. Quite hilly over the first 5 miles or so then you hit trails which you may or may not be prepared for. I didn't expect that much off road running. I'm told the second half was worse, there were parts were you couldn't run it was so boggy.

Athmosphere: - 5 stars. I thought it was horrible. There was no atmosphere. Something I really enjoy about Connemara and Dingle is that you're running on your own for long stages, today I was just bored. Even at the start line and around Strokestown house before the race you didn't get that race day excitement and buzz that you'd normally have. No one would even approach the start line, not even the leading fellas went right up to the start line.

Value: 1 star. €50 for a full marathon isn't bad, €50 for a half marathon is a bit inflated.

Organisation: - 5 stars. Up until I finished I thought it was well organised, bag drop, toilets, registration, water in bottles, jelly beans, jelly babies, race went off on time etc but leaving half marathon runners hanging around for 90 minutes + for a bus at the end is completely inexcusable. They know that the guts of the runners will be coming in between 90 minutes and 2 hours, buses should have been there to meet us. Instead we were left standing around in the rain waiting. When a bus finially did come, it was a mini bus and everyone raced to it, squashing an extra five or so on. We must have waited about 20 minutes or so for the next bus. I don't understand why they didn't have coaches on instead of small buses?! Numerous full marathon runners took wrong turns, including the leaders adding miles on.

Total = - 9 stars....

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭Diggy78

1 star (terrible)
    xebec wrote: »
    I won't be going back to this race again.

You're not alone in that I'd say Xebec. To be honest I'd imagine that there might not be another after that shambles. Personally I thought the worst thing was not any of the mess ups about waiting for buses, not the lack of marshalls for the elite guys (disgraceful by the way), and not even the ridiculously late awards ceremony scheduled for 6 o clock after some people had run 30 miles. No, the worst thing I thought was that the race director went into hiding after all of these and could not be found anywhere near the finish and informed her crew that she wouldn't be back to the finish until after 5. Sure she made mistakes, but face the music woman. (if I have this wrong and there was a good reason then apologies)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

3 stars (average)
    didnt have thd bus issue which id say was a poor showing on the organisers part. they deffo need more marshalls as going the way is inexcusable.
    i thought the scenery was on par with say longford. i must say though i really enjoyed it. There was little or no support i suppose but i dont mind that.
    very hard course for a pb, 3 sizeable hills and lots of small ones. I think they have a place in the marathon but they must make alot of changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

1 star (terrible)
    Definitely not a race for a PB but I didn't think it was that bad. Lots of hard hills in the second half. I liked running through the bog in the first half but that grass path around 21 miles was ridiculous. So uneven and very easy to go over on the ankle.
    They were unlucky with the weather. Sunny and everything would look better but the course is never going to be particularly scenic.

All the turns at crosses seemed to have marshals when I passed but speaking to people afterwards it seemed as if the marshals weren't in position for the elite runners which was ridiculous. Other runners said that there were missing stewards at other places as well.

Nice tshirt and medal but there wasn't much atmosphere there. The small field didn't help.

Would I go back? Probably would if it is run again. It was a first organisation so some mistakes could be forgiven but having no buses for the half marathoners and the lack of stewards at certain points is something that the organisers should address.
    And they should also be seen to address these issues. They should be on explaining what went wrong and how they are going to sort it out.

I think though that this may be a one off event as they may have done too much damage to themselves today. Lots of runners that I spoke to afterwards were extremely hacked off with the race. And the impression of the race that was left will be hard to shake off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

1 star (terrible)
    Oisin I see you gave this race a 4 star rating.
    Did you not talk to anybody else after the race?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

1 star (terrible)
    I have to say I did enjoy it, and would have been a happy camper, but for the one missing marshall at a critical turn off. The bog, scenery and atmosphere weren't exactly a surprise!

3 stars (average)
    Oisin I see you gave this race a 4 star rating.
    Did you not talk to anybody else after the race?

I did yeah but i think the vote is a personal thing. its obvious there were lots of mistakes but i really enjoyed the course and small things like the decent medal. maybe 3 would have been more appropriate but im in a good mood:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

2 stars (poor)
    I have to say I did enjoy it, and would have been a happy camper, but for the one missing marshall at a critical turn off. The bog, scenery and atmosphere weren't exactly a surprise!

Me too, only real issue for me was the buses which was really disappointing. All-in-all it was a good race and a bit different.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭baza1976

The winning lady covered 27+ miles, so I presume the guys covered something between 27 and 28 miles. For my sins, I covered 30.54 miles. Serves me right for doing it in the first place. :o

Is that for real???:eek: How did you manage that??? Sounds very very bad............. or were you showing off:p

1 star (terrible)
    baza1976 wrote: »
    Is that for real???:eek: How did you manage that??? Sounds very very bad............. or were you showing off:p

A Oisin suggested, I must have had a very bad racing line. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭big mce

3 stars (average)
    I also really enjoyed it. I did the half and thought overall the race was ran very well except for waiting for the bus at the half way for over an hour. Some-one said to me that a large number of people supposed to do the full dropped out at the half way point hence the miscalculation with the buses. (Don't know how true this is?)

Don't understand where people got lost? Where was it? I thought the route was great and running through the bog added an extra challenge.

I will defo be back next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

I didn't mind the hills, although they were a bit of a challenge, but the stony road through the bog after the 9 mile mark was awkward to run along. Spent more time concentrating on dodging potholes and rocks.

The marshy bog after mile 20 was ridiculous, myself and sarsfieldrock were frog jumping for most of it, and all of us on that section had to give up and just walk for parts of it.

The start and end were fine, the stations were well stocked with bottles of water, but I don't recall seeing any energy drinks along the way and only one bowl of jelly babies and that was in the 2nd half of the run.

Thankfully, the marshals were in force when I got to the turns, but I couldn't believe it at the end when I heard the leaders went off course. I always though they had support for the leaders all the way.

Had to muster up a sprint finish at the end, because one of the local runners decked out in the Roscommon colours was challenging for my place. I wouldn't let him have it. :D

I probably wont be in a hurry to do it again, because if I want hills and remote places, I'll run the Donegal Mooathon, the scenery is better to look at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Sounds like an interesting day out. People should have known it wouldn't be dull when it's on in Ros. Anyone who quit without reason should have been made walk back to the start/finish. The event said bog did it not ?

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

3 stars (average)
    Very surprised to hear all the negative comments but one mans meat is another mans poison...
    I thought the course was interesting, very challenging, tough, very hard hills. No one should expect a PB. All that can be expected is a good day out. Found the marshals helpful and plenty of water and jelly babies etc. Ok, the leaders ended up running much further but it did not change the outcome of the race only their time. These guys do these races for the cash and prizes so dont feel too sorry for them.
    I have done Longford, Connemara and now Bogtrotters and I found this race as challenging as Connemara. We have to allow a certain level of disorganization for 1st timers out in the bog and while going the wrong way is inexcusable, it was the leaders and eventual winners anyway.
    Would I do it again? Would deffo and I would hope they dont make it easier. If we want flat fast marathons we go to Berlin, Amsterdam, London....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

A Oisin suggested, I must have had a very bad racing line. :D

Or you need to read your Garmin 405 manual to make sure it is configured correctly ;)

1 star (terrible)
    i008787 wrote: »
    Very surprised to hear all the negative comments but one mans meat is another mans poison...
    I thought the course was interesting, very challenging, tough, very hard hills. No one should expect a PB. All that can be expected is a good day out. Found the marshals helpful and plenty of water and jelly babies etc. Ok, the leaders ended up running much further but it did not change the outcome of the race only their time. These guys do these races for the cash and prizes so dont feel too sorry for them.
    I have done Longford, Connemara and now Bogtrotters and I found this race as challenging as Connemara. We have to allow a certain level of disorganization for 1st timers out in the bog and while going the wrong way is inexcusable, it was the leaders and eventual winners anyway.
    Would I do it again? Would deffo and I would hope they dont make it easier. If we want flat fast marathons we go to Berlin, Amsterdam, London....

Before I missed the turn I was in 6th. Afterwards? I don't care. I lost all interest in anything but hitting the finish line. It didn't just affect the elite runners.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

2 stars (poor)
    Anyone know which timing chip company it was today and if the results will be put on the web? Checked Red Tag Timing but no sign...

Precision timing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

Sort of glad i missed this bad enough running 36 miles but 30 miles:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

Have been reading the postings on the Bogtrotters marathon. I was talking with two full marathoners and two
    half marathon people from the race who gave me the low-down on the race.

I think a few points summarises what they were saying:

1. The terrain of the course was very mixed - tarmac roads, bog roads, rocky paths, grass tracks. Most of the full/half marathon competitors understood this - so it is probably not fair to critise the race because of this. From what I understand there was a very swampy dangerous section at 24 miles with holes and cuts - regardless of the off-road nature of the marathon the people I spoke to thought it was a bit dangerous at this point on the course - legs are tired, concentration is getting weak, etc.

2. Gerry Forde was competing as the only wheelchair competitor - again from what my friends said there was simple NO WAY that he could have negotiated some of the terrain. Gerry is one tough competitor but the course at 24 miles would leave it absolutely impossible from him to get through. People cycling bikes in support of athletes had to walk their bikes over this. The Gardai told one of my friend's g/f that they needed to break out their 4X4 to get through this section and then actually avoided it and took a detour.

3. Half Marathon - anyone finishing in under 1:50 in the half marathon were left up to 35 minutes waiting to be bussed back from Roosky to the Strokestown Castle - the bus ride added another 20 minutes or so. There was NO PROVISION for carraige of changes of clothes etc for those doing the half. So most had to sit in their wet drowned gear on the bus and shiver to keep warm. Surely this logistical issue could have been analysed beforehand? Half marathons which finish this far from the start area never work.

4. Route Mixup - the big talking point yesterday was the farcical goings-on at about the 21 mile mark where the leading 6 men and Lucy Brennan and the leading relay team were running back and forth up the Strokestown to Roosky road trying to see which direction they were supposed to be going. This included runners like Segiu Conibanu and Ravis Zakis. Apparently no stewart was in place - no arrow sign had been put in place either because they had assumed that a stewart would be there. This was the only stewarting problem of the entire race but caused confusion and a lot of anger and disappointment. I think it is a bit harsh of one of the posters above to say that they are "elites and only do it for the cash" - from the results I heard Segiu Conibanu won it and was probably never in doubt. So the others probably knew this also but does it mean that it should be dismissed when they run another 2 - 4 miles extra? The people in the top 10 of this race suffer in the final 10km as much as any of the other competitors.

5. From reports at the finish line the race director disappeared when news of complaints from the (1) half marathon finish area of delayed waiting for buses and (2) the chaos at mile 21. Running (pardon the pun) away from the problem when it is happening is not the solution. Understandably she was very upset as the race she had been planning and working on for several months was falling down around her. She may not have a running background and may have overlooked issues that us runners would place at spot number one on a list of priorities for organisation of a race. *

Overally Bogtrotters is another on the list of new marathons/half marathons. There was a good friendly feel to it - my friends told me this. It lacked a bit of big-race atmosphere but then again you cannot just plant big-race atmosphere and have it on tap for these races. There are many lessons to be learned. A tough course is one thing - marathon people are a tough breed and live for challenges. As word spreads about the race it might take a mightly dose of convincing to draw a crowd next year.

Longford is the small town marathon template. Copy that and your new startup marathon won't go too far wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

It goes to show the logistics that are needed in order to make a race work. One thing not working can have drastic results.

There's been some notable 1st time events this year that have worked well. Two that I ran in were the Plod and the Enniscorthy half. You can't have enough marshalls out on the route really and its imperative that the organisers either have a running background or have someone on board who has so that the needs of the runner are accomodated in every aspect of the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

It's a pity the results are not available yet. I would have thought that with chip timing, results would be quicker to publish.

I had forgotten about trying to get a wheelchair through that marshy stretch at the 24M mark. Must have been a nightmare.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

2 stars (poor)
    I enjoyd most of this. I did think the second half was considerably worse than the first half as regards safety of terrain. I strained my calf on a bad wobbly bit on the way but such is life.
    The civil defense 4wd jeep got stuck on the grassy cut through track and it took ages to get it out. I managed to squeeze past but I couldn help wondering about Jerry in his chair- he would have been safer to turn around at the half way mark and just double back to the start . I hope he wasnt left stuck in the middle up to his hubs in muck, or toppled over , such was the incline. He is something else though isnt he. Such an inspiration.

One concern was the lack of medical /first aid on the route. If you got into bother , you were a long way from help . Matters like this are as important as stewarding, in that a twisted ankle on a bog road was a long hobble to civilization.
    MIght go back next year , depending on what it is on around the same time.
    Liked the medal even though you had to go look for it .

Results are up on their site now. Even a four hour marathon would have had me as 5th woman. If I hadn't got lost like Krusty. :D

1 star (terrible)
    I finished 19th. If I hadn't got lost (but the lead pack had), I would've finished 3rd at training run pace. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Teddy2

3 stars (average)
    This was my first half marathon so I cannot compare it to anything, however I really enjoyed it. It was challenging but I presume this what drives people to do marathons?? I thought that the varied terrain made it very interesting and the bog track gave my feet a bit of a rest from the tarmac roads.

As far as I know people got lost because a marshal and the corresponding sign went missing before the race...so i suppose the problem was relying on unreliable people.

Relay marathon was a good idea and makes it more accessible for more people!

1 star (terrible)
    I enjoyd most of this. I did think the second half was considerably worse than the first half as regards safety of terrain. I strained my calf on a bad wobbly bit on the way but such is life.
    I didn't realize you were doing this one. Would've gone looking for you to say hello! I wasn't wearing my Boards singlet, as it was supposed to be a training run (I reserve the Boards singlet for the races!). Hope the calf's ok.

3 stars (average)
    The civil defense 4wd jeep got stuck on the grassy cut through track and it took ages to get it out. I managed to squeeze past but I couldn help wondering about Jerry in his chair- he would have been safer to turn around at the half way mark and just double back to the start . I hope he wasnt left stuck in the middle up to his hubs in muck, or toppled over , such was the incline. He is something else though isnt he. Such an inspiration.
    One concern was the lack of medical /first aid on the route. If you got into bother , you were a long way from help . Matters like this are as important as stewarding, in that a twisted ankle on a bog road was a long hobble to civilization.
    MIght go back next year , depending on what it is on around the same time.
    Liked the medal even though you had to go look for it .
    Yeah i saw you at the start and thought i could have a chat at the end but didnt see you. Well done on the race:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

2 stars (poor)
    I saw Oisin and a few of the lads, always great to see them :). Didnt know you were going either Krusty.
    Calf muscle still very tender but not limping as much today. Fingers crossed I will be able to run in two weeks. tore a small portion where the inner calf muscle goes into the achilles. Bah. Still. I have a pulse:D

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Whats on in 2 weeks htt?

Advertisement