Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bogtrotters Marathon, 24/7/10

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

3 stars (average)
    What sort of times are you guys going for.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Absolutely fabulous apparently.
    From Wikipeda on Strokestown and the Percy French;

The world famous Percy French Hotel takes pride of place as Strokestown's number one Hotel, Restaurant, and Bar. It boasts having been awarded some of Roscommon's most prestigeous awards for excellence in catering. It's food is considered by some of Roscommon's most demanding critic's as "Simply Fabulous"

I'm pretty sure it's Strokestowns ONLY hotel! :pac:
    Oisin11178 wrote: »

4 hours plus for me, it's purely a nice easy training run.

3 stars (average)
    not sure about about pace myself. wait to see how i feel on the day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

1 star (terrible)
    Depends on the course. But say 4 plus and under 4:10 I suppose.

3 stars (average)
    Depends on the course. But say 4 plus and under 4:10 I suppose.

You going straight back or you staying for a drink eddie?

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Right I'm all booked in now for the Friday night. So whoever wants to take my bags and let me use their shower afterwards is more welcome to offer. :D

Plan is still to go for an extra few miles afterwards but I want to get back to Dublin for the Parkwest 10k the next day which is why I'm rushing back. Are we having any post-race refreshments? pre-race feed ups? Restaurant in Percy French seems alright, I doubt we'll find a luigi malones down there. :(

You can leave your your bags in my room and use the shower. should stay for a few drinks though:d

3 stars (average)
    am i seeing things or is there a climb of about 100 metres over 1 mile near the start?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

am i seeing things or is there a climb of about 100 metres over 1 mile near the start?

There seems to be a bit of a bump at about 3.5M alright. I'll do a drive by on it over the weekend and check out the route.

Registered today finally. Was glad to go through the registration process and not get charged any additional booking costs. If only more events could do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

1 star (terrible)
    If you stretch the graph along the y-axis, apart from looking scarier, you get a more accurate view of what the climb is actually like. Looks closer to a 50m climb.

BogT.JPG

1 star (terrible)
    You going straight back or you staying for a drink?

I am now leaning towards heading back that evening.
    I really should be doing another lont run on the Sunday and staying in Strokestown on Saturday evening will not be helpful towards that.
    Better to head home I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭hot to trot

2 stars (poor)
    I will be heading to Dublin at some stage after the race, so if anyone needs a lift and is prepared to share a smelly car or rather a car with smelly me , they are welcome.:D

Sarsfield- are you training for an ultra or what is your plan if you are going to do another long run the day after?

1 star (terrible)
    I will be heading to Dublin at some stage after the race, so if anyone needs a lift and is prepared to share a smelly car or rather a car with smelly me , they are welcome.:D

Sarsfield- are you training for an ultra or what is your plan if you are going to do another long run the day after?

I'll take that lift off you if it is going. I was planning on asking for a late check out from the hotel too so should be able to get a shower in.

Yep, I am up for the Dingle Ultra so its double long runs most weekends for about the next 6 weeks. I did the marathon last year and really enjoyed it.

3 stars (average)
    eddie you are welcome to use the shower in my room if you want.

I may take you up on that too. Will let you know.

I'd say late check out will probably be fine in the hotel, I have my doubts that they'll have massive queues for the rooms, if not, I want to use Oisin's shower before the boys get near it.

What sort of training have you done for Dingle so far Eddie?

1 star (terrible)
    I may take you up on that too. Will let you know.

I'd say late check out will probably be fine in the hotel, I have my doubts that they'll have massive queues for the rooms, if not, I want to use Oisin's shower before the boys get near it.

What sort of training have you done for Dingle so far Eddie?

Not a huge amount specifically. Have done a few of the Irish marathons (Belfast, Newry, Cork) and the Portumna 50K as part of the build up.
    Will just be doing two 20 mile plus long runs every 2 out of 3 weekends from now on.
    The longest run will hopefully be 40 miles a few weeks before the thing.
    I will probably be doing a run/walk strategy for a fair bit of the actual race itself so hopefully will be getting round in less than 10 anyway. The target is 9 hours but who knows what can happen on the day?
    Are you signed up for the Ultra or the half or have you decided yet?

I haven't really done any ultra specific training so just trying to keep up 60 mile weeks now for a few weeks and then see how I'm doing mid august, decide just before entries close. Dont want to fork out 80 quid if I don't end up doing it. Target would be about 8 hours for me hopefully depending on how I feel on the day. The aim is the ultra if injury free I might step down to the marathon - won't be racing the half anyway I don't think.

3 stars (average)
    whats the numbers for thiis race next week. would not mind some company on the round for a change.

whats the numbers for thiis race next week. would not mind some company on the round for a change.

If you STFD, I'll keep you company, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

2 stars (poor)
    Aimman wrote: »
    STFD

Had to think about that one! Just checked on Urban Dictionary and let's just say what you meant and 'Shut The Front Door' are nicer than what's on there!

Still debating doing the half, very much depends on how this weekend goes and how tired I am after work next week...

xebec wrote: »
    Had to think about that one! Just checked on Urban Dictionary and let's just say what you meant and 'Shut The Front Door' are nicer than what's on there!

Still debating doing the half, very much depends on how this weekend goes and how tired I am after work next week...

Oops, Was aiming on the opposite of HTFU, didnt think there could be incriminating alternatives.:o

Well, they'll take last minute registration on the day xebec, so you have another week to decide.

• Advertisement

Oops, Was aiming on the opposite of HTFU, didnt think there could be incriminating alternatives.:o

Well, they'll take last minute registration on the day xebec, so you have another week to decide.

He doesn't need time to decide. He's doing it! :pac:

3 stars (average)
    If you STFD, I'll keep you company, lol.

see you at the finish. ill get the pints in:d

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If anyone wants a free entry to this let me know as i cannot run this weekend due to illness. I am expecting the pack out today or tomorrow morning so could have it sent via post to arrive on Friday. Rather someone use than see €50 go to waste.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭The Hammer

the people organizing the race seem like very nice people (from what im told). would you not approach them and maybe get a refund, just so you not our of pocket.

1 star (terrible)
    Anyone else getting the bus over on Friday?
    Probably be getting the 15:45 bus from Busaras. Then back on the Saturday at 2:30 unless I can cadge a lift off somebody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

If anyone wants a free entry to this let me know as i cannot run this weekend due to illness. I am expecting the pack out today or tomorrow morning so could have it sent via post to arrive on Friday. Rather someone use than see €50 go to waste.

Sorted, someone from here is using it and they made a generous donation to charity, happy days all round.

Anyone else getting the bus over on Friday?
    Probably be getting the 15:45 bus from Busaras. Then back on the Saturday at 2:30 unless I can cadge a lift off somebody.

I'll get either that bus or the 1pm bus. Will probably be a bit later than that going home though if there's a later one - extended run plus a drink or two. :)

Edit: Got my race number today. I'm 51 and only registered about 10 days ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,500 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

1 star (terrible)
    Edit: Got my race number today. I'm 51 and only registered about 10 days ago.
    you hardly look a day over 40. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,311 ✭✭✭xebec

2 stars (poor)

Ah come on, she does :p

My plan at the moment is to get the 1545 bus as well, but that is dependent on me finally deciding to run and also on getting the afternoon off work...

• Advertisement

1 star (terrible)

Ya just couldn't resist that one eh?:D

Advertisement