Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Bogtrotters Marathon, 24/7/10

Options
  • 17-04-2010 7:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Check out a new full, half and relay marathon in Co. Roscommon on 24th July. A flat/undulating course, mainly on road and across bog tracks and grassy lanes.
    www.thebogtrottersmarathon.ie
    I see good value for group entry - 30 euro only:)!

Rate this race based on, Scenery, PB potential, Atmosphere, Value, Organisation 10 votes

5 stars (excellent)
    0%
    4 stars (good)
    10%
    Ollie Kane 1 vote
    3 stars (average)
    40%
    Oisin11178big mceSnappyDresserTeddy2 4 votes
    2 stars (poor)
    20%
    xebechot to trot 2 votes
    1 star (terrible)
    30%
    Krusty_ClownDiggy78sarsfieldsrock 3 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,090 ✭✭✭shazkea

Hi,

On your advice, I checked this out and while it looks good, I find the price of the half marathon very steep at €50. Why are the full and half the same price? Any chance of reducing the entry fee for a period of entry time i.e maybe until end of May? No harm in asking :)

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭SnappyDresser

3 stars (average)
    As someone who hates the big marathons I will definitely be trying this one. I have done the Longford and Connemara marathons and they are far better than the thousands that line up for the city marathons....lovely scenery, local people, chatty runners along the way...
    My mother was born a stones throw from the course and it looks a great run in prospect....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

3 stars (average)
    Ill most probably be down doing this one. many doing it?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Oisin11178 wrote: »
    Ill most probably be down doing this one. many doing it?

I'm probably doing it, purely as a LSR though.

Anyone had a look at accomodation yet?

3 stars (average)
    I'm probably doing it, purely as a LSR though.

Anyone had a look at accomodation yet?
    No thats what i was going to ask people. There are a few hotels suggested on the website. LSR for me to btw, what time you hoping to do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,505 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

1 star (terrible)
    Hmmm.... Interesting....

3 stars (average)
    Hmmm.... Interesting....
    You coming down:D
    I booked a room in this hotel for the 2 nights.
    Percy French Hotel, Bridge Street, Strokestown, Co. Roscommon 353 (0)71 9633300 Email:
    Only 40 a night for a single room, just have to find a way of getting down there now:D

1 star (terrible)
    I'd offer you a lift, but I'll be in Roscommon for the entire weekend with relatives, so wouldn't be travelling from Dublin. If you want to get the train to Roscommon though, I'll drop you out to Strokestown?

3 stars (average)
    I'd offer you a lift, but I'll be in Roscommon for the entire weekend with relatives, so wouldn't be travelling from Dublin. If you want to get the train to Roscommon though, I'll drop you out to Strokestown?
    Fair play to you. Is it far to strokestown from rocommon town?

1 star (terrible)
    Fair play to you. Is it far to strokestown from rocommon town?
    Nope, just 12 miles, but I'll be in the town for the weekend anyway, so marathon or not you're welcome to a lift (offer open to others too).

• Advertisement

3 stars (average)
    Nope, just 12 miles, but I'll be in the town for the weekend anyway, so marathon or not you're welcome to a lift (offer open to others too).
    Yeah id appreciate that bud. Pm you soon:D

Bus Eireann have buses directly to Strokestown, takes just over two hours so thats how I'll get down. I'll probably stay in Percy French too, if I'm doing the marathon the aim will be about 4 hours if I just do the half anything around 1:40 - 1:45. I'll probably be coming back up on the Saturday evening though. Might scab the use of your room for a shower Oisin as I'll probably have to check out before the race. :)

3 stars (average)
    Bus Eireann have buses directly to Strokestown, takes just over two hours so thats how I'll get down. I'll probably stay in Percy French too, if I'm doing the marathon the aim will be about 4 hours if I just do the half anything around 1:40 - 1:45. I'll probably be coming back up on the Saturday evening though. Might scab the use of your room for a shower Oisin as I'll probably have to check out before the race. :)
    Yeah no probs its a date:D
    Looks like i wont need a lift after all krusty if there is a direct bus. Thanks anyway.

1 star (terrible)
    Yeah no probs its a date:D
    Looks like i wont need a lift after all krusty if there is a direct bus. Thanks anyway.
    Thank feck! I just realized the marathon's on a Saturday, and there's little chance of my being in Roscommon town by 8:30pm on Friday night (to meet the train). Well, if you get stuck for food/drinks or anything, or need a lift back to the train station, give me a holler.

Thank feck! I just realized the marathon's on a Saturday, and there's little chance of my being in Roscommon town by 8:30pm on Friday night (to meet the train). Well, if you get stuck for food/drinks or anything, or need a lift back to the train station, give me a holler.

Are you buying? :pac:

1 star (terrible)
    Are you buying? :pac:
    If yours is a batter burger, chips and a can of Dutch Gold the night before the race, then it's my treat. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 576 ✭✭✭sarsfieldsrock

1 star (terrible)
    Just signed up for this. Looks like an interesting run.
    Well spotted on the bus, whoever posted it up.
    Will be LSR for Dingle I think.
    Nice to have it on a Saturday as well. Allows for a lengthy period of electrolyte replenishment via fluid intake.:P

3 stars (average)
    What sort of numbers are doing this does anyone know?

If yours is a batter burger, chips and a can of Dutch Gold the night before the race, then it's my treat. :)

You old romantic you! I'm undecided on the half and the full but seen as they're the same price I figure you get better value with the full. :pac:

Need to ring that hotel, their site doesn't work properly...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Will be LSR for Dingle I think.

Was just thinking the same. I'll be just down the road from it that weekend, so I might as well join in all the fun.

• Advertisement

Aimman wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same. .

My plan is to do five miles or so straight after, if anyone is going out at about 4 hours they're welcome to join/help me.

My plan is to do five miles or so straight after, if anyone is going out at about 4 hours they're welcome to join/help me.

Yeah, I might be up for it, Wasnt sure whether to see if I can go under 3:45 for this, but I might ditch that idea for throwing an extra few miles on after it for a LSR-XL

I'll decide nearer the day.

3 stars (average)
    That would be a big pb for you eamonn wouldnt it?
    Go for it bud:-)

Seems to be so many doing this now that I'm tempted to stay till Sunday and drop out of Parkwest.

Edit: Oisin do you know if Percy's have many rooms? I haven't been able to get through to them.

3 stars (average)
    Her words to me on the phone were there was loads of rooms. Singles doubles ect.

That would be a big pb for you eamonn wouldnt it?
    Go for it bud:-)
    I was saving myself for the pb in DCM after Dingle, but not sure what to do for Bogtrotters. would be nice to bundle in my XLLSR that weekend.

RacoonQueen, If you're stuck for accomodation, you can try Keenan's in Tarmonbarry, its the town between Longford and Strokestown and I'll be heading from there for the race and can give you a lift out to the start. If you are up for it, we can run back there after the marathon for the LSR its about 8m after the race, but might be able to sort out supplies along the way back and a bit of lunch at the end.

Not sure about the difference in rates between Percy French and Keenans though.

1 star (terrible)
    Percys is 40 a night.Whether that is good value or not depends on the room I suppose.
    RQ Not sure about adding a few miles to make it a very long run.
    I always enjoy the milling around at the marathon finish.
    And without having run the course before its hard to say whether I would be in any shape to know off a few extra miles.

RQ Not sure about adding a few miles to make it a very long run.
    I always enjoy the milling around at the marathon finish.

We could do a Forrest Gump on it and have the medal lassoed around our neck as we pass the finish line and just keep running into the distance. haha.

I imagine the profile shouldnt be too bad. I might get to do a bit of a rekkie on it in a couple of weeks time and see what its like.

Right I'm all booked in now for the Friday night. So whoever wants to take my bags and let me use their shower afterwards is more welcome to offer. :D

Plan is still to go for an extra few miles afterwards but I want to get back to Dublin for the Parkwest 10k the next day which is why I'm rushing back. Are we having any post-race refreshments? pre-race feed ups? Restaurant in Percy French seems alright, I doubt we'll find a luigi malones down there. :(

• Advertisement

1 star (terrible)
    Are we having any post-race refreshments? pre-race feed ups? Restaurant in Percy French seems alright, I doubt we'll find a luigi malones down there. :(

Absolutely fabulous apparently.
    From Wikipeda on Strokestown and the Percy French;

The world famous Percy French Hotel takes pride of place as Strokestown's number one Hotel, Restaurant, and Bar. It boasts having been awarded some of Roscommon's most prestigeous awards for excellence in catering. It's food is considered by some of Roscommon's most demanding critic's as "Simply Fabulous"

Advertisement