Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭tenandtracer

I'm currently enjoying Thwaites (Blackburn UK) - Nutty and Black
    Black ale, only 3.6% but good depth methinks

Thwaites Wainwright, next up......

purely medicinal

Wainwright - quite tasty

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

I'm currently enjoying Thwaites (Blackburn UK) - Nutty and Black
    Black ale, only 3.6% but good depth methinks

Thwaites Wainwright, next up......

purely medicinal

Interesting...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,044 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

A swingtop bottle of a Munich dunkel - Holzar Bier last night.

I have to be in the particualr form for a Munich bier, but this is a fine example of a dunkel (and I have a particular fondness for swingtop bottles).

Got a bottle of Cain's raisin beer from the UK in the fridge for later on in the week.

Saruman wrote: »

That's mad, I was drinking the same beers he was blogging about at more or less the same time:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Brockagh

I had a couple of porters recently. I liked them anyway. A Midnight Sun from Williams Bros and Brew Dog Paradox (Isle of Arran). They were both a little sweet, which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

A swingtop bottle of a Munich dunkel - Holzar Bier last night.

I have to be in the particualr form for a Munich bier, but this is a fine example of a dunkel (and I have a particular fondness for swingtop bottles).

Got a bottle of Cain's raisin beer from the UK in the fridge for later on in the week.

Where did you get the Holzar from?

I got the Holzar in the off-licence next to the Spar on the Ballycullen Road in Firhouse... They have three of their beers in swingtop pint bottles. Good off-licence, if pricey for some stuff.

Tonight a bottle of Wytchwood's blond beer - Wytchcraft. Didn't much like this when I had it during the summer but I'm enjoying this one more. It's very very dry.

Some whiskeys over the past few night, sampling the collection that I've amassed but haven't made much a dent in over the past year.

1. Ardbeg Uigdeal. An Ardbeg blend and a favourite of the whiskey writers... With good reason. Second only to Ardbeg Supernova, IMO, in terms of extreme peatiness. Almost brackish. Tasting notes I've read have included kippers and engine-oil, and they're not wrong.

2. Jameson 18 year old reserve. Almost a polar opposite, sherry and sweet biscuit. IMO a very very good example of what Irish whisky can be.

3. Balvenie Golden Cask 14 year old. Very drinkable, vanilla and butterscotch scented.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭redalan

I got the Holzar in the off-licence next to the Spar on the Ballycullen Road in Firhouse... They have three of their beers in swingtop pint bottles. Good off-licence, if pricey for some stuff.

Tonight a bottle of Wytchwood's blond beer - Wytchcraft. Didn't much like this when I had it during the summer but I'm enjoying this one more. It's very very dry.

Some whiskeys over the past few night, sampling the collection that I've amassed but haven't made much a dent in over the past year.

1. Ardbeg Uigdeal. An Ardbeg blend and a favourite of the whiskey writers... With good reason. Second only to Ardbeg Supernova, IMO, in terms of extreme peatiness. Almost brackish. Tasting notes I've read have included kippers and engine-oil, and they're not wrong.

2. Jameson 18 year old reserve. Almost a polar opposite, sherry and sweet biscuit. IMO a very very good example of what Irish whisky can be.

3. Balvenie Golden Cask 14 year old. Very drinkable, vanilla and butterscotch scented.

Thanks

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,112 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Is spaten a nice german beer?saw it on sale in super value,5 for 9euro.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I quite like it. My local Centra has the same offer.

I had two bottles of erdinger urweisse tonight. I think I prefer it to the original erdinger. Now I must try and convince my boss to stock it:cool: Also picked up some of the brewdog beers mentioned earlier in the thread, looking forward to trying them.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

I had two bottles of erdinger urweisse tonight. I think I prefer it to the original erdinger. Now I must try and convince my boss to stock it:cool:

Tell him it's the same price and the same selling price and the bottle is much cooler. Sorted. :D

Had a bottle of Aspall Premier Cru as it was rolling around the boot annoying me. Quite nice if a little sweeter than other Ciders.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭redlead

Three beautiful whiskies. I hope you didn't drink them in that order though, you probably wouldn't have tasted the Jameson after that peaty monster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Sticking with Stouts I tried Saranac Imperial Stout from a bottle.

Not the same obviously as the cask I tasted but I found this really strong flavoured stout.

Coffee chocolate taste bit I found it very alcoholy in taste. I have a feeling there was something wrong with this bottle I had so would like to try it agaIn

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Sticking with Stouts I tried Saranac Imperial Stout from a bottle.

Not the same obviously as the cask I tasted but I found this really strong flavoured stout.

Coffee chocolate taste bit I found it very alcoholy in taste. I have a feeling there was something wrong with this bottle I had so would like to try it agaIn

Had my first pint of Wassler xxx last night. Beautiful!
    Had some Hop head too, reminds me a bit of Helvick Gold except not as citrusy.
    Both bargains at €4 a pint!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

redlead wrote: »
    Had my first pint of Wassler xxx last night. Beautiful!
    Had some Hop head too, reminds me a bit of Helvick Gold except not as citrusy.
    Both bargains at €4 a pint!

I think its XXXX, quadruple x, rather than the sexy kind. Though it is one sexy beer.

enda1 wrote: »
    I think its XXXX, quadruple x, rather than the sexy kind. Though it is one sexy beer.

haha My bad!:D

Three beautiful whiskies. I hope you didn't drink them in that order though, you probably wouldn't have tasted the Jameson after that peaty monster.

No, you're quite right. I had them on different nights...

I generally have no more than two or three measures in a sitting anyway. Any more than that and I feel like It's wasted on me.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

Had a pint of O'Hara's pale ale in Bowe's last night. Delicious!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Eds

Had a pint of O'Hara's pale ale in Bowe's last night. Delicious!

ya me too ...was impressed with their selection of Beers .....

pity the Blackrock was chilled ...should be served at room temperature...

I think the pub has lost some of its character when it was done up a year or two ago .....used to love the place

Timothy Taylor's, Landlord Pale.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Timothy Taylor's, Landlord Pale.

On cask, that is a fantastic beer - even Mrs Beer likes it!!

On cask, that is a fantastic beer - even Mrs Beer likes it!!

I have trouble getting my Mrs to even drink a corona. She wanted a Ritz the other night which the porterhouse didn't have so I thought that I was on to a winner with Kopparberg pear but no, that was "too sweet". Just can't win. In saying that I still quite enjoyed my wrassler xxxx, hop head and Vienna. The Vienna was lovely I have to say, it says that it is a dark larger but tasted much more like an ale, very strong toffee notes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

redlead wrote: »
    I have trouble getting my Mrs to even drink a corona.
    I suggest The Belgian Gambit: ask her to try a Chimay Bleu or Kwak or something along those lines: strong, dark and Belgian. I know a couple of people who "don't like beer" who like this style.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,858 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

BeerNut wrote: »
    I suggest The Belgian Gambit: ask her to try a Chimay Bleu or Kwak or something along those lines: strong, dark and Belgian. I know a couple of people who "don't like beer" who like this style.

Yup, I find women (sexist generalisation) are often far more open to tasting beers because they haven't been conditioned into thinking that beer is black creamy stuff or yellow fizz. Also they aren't fazed by strong beers because they don't feel the need to drink six of them!

I've discovered that my wife likes cask pale ales (but only very specific ones). If I give her the same beer in bottle form (without telling her what it is) she usually finds it not unpleasant but wouldn't be bothered with it.

So far she likes, on cask:

Timothy Taylor Landlord
    Barrelhead
    Young's London Gold

Probably in that order.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Picked up 2 each of O'Hara's Red, Leann Follain and IPA

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

matrim wrote: »
    Picked up 2 each of O'Hara's Red, Leann Follain and IPA

That IPA can go toe to toe with some of American best :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

Tried me some 12 Days dark ale and Dark Arts porter last night. Nice. I'd recommend them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,517 ✭✭✭matrim

Heading to the porterhouse for a few tonight. I normally have the Porterhouse red but fancy something different tonight. I'm thinking the Hop Head if they have it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement