Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Seaneh wrote: »
    I honestly couldn't disagree with you more.
    I think Full Sail is, probably, one of the 2 or 3 best pale ales brewed in Ireland, the other two being O'Hara's IPA and Metalman with Hopplehammer being not far off the first 3.

I find that Full Sail is probably the MOST like an american style IPA of any of the irish pale ales and has a lovely malt backbone to support he massive Cascade, Colombus and El Dorado presence.
    I've been a fan of it for a while now after not liking the early versions at all and it's only getting better since they moved into the new brewery. I actually find the bottles taste better than the draught, which is very rare.
    I love he big cascade hit on the nose and I find the finish is exceptionally dry.
    I find this strange, as I'm big into my IPA's and have been hoping for more american style ones in Ireland! The Hurricane / Cyclone ones are pretty good, and I'd rate O'Hara's, Metalman and Hopplehammer way above Full Sail.

I found Full Sail to be closer to Trouble Brewing Sabotage which I also didn't like, although on the latter I found more of a hop profile which at least gave something to my taste buds when everything else was lacking.

Maybe someone swapped labels on my bottle, there was absolutely no massive hop presence, quite the opposite, with merely a hint of any malts at all. "Embittered water" was my description from smell to taste to aftertaste.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,891 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I liked Full Sail too - found it a bit flat but thought there was a good solid malt profile and plenty of grapefruity hop flavours but not so much hop aroma.
    It kindof reminded me of a toned down nøgne ø. I'd buy it again, unlike the Buried at Sea.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

snowblind wrote: »
    I find this strange, as I'm big into my IPA's and have been hoping for more american style ones in Ireland! The Hurricane / Cyclone ones are pretty good, and I'd rate O'Hara's, Metalman and Hopplehammer way above Full Sail.

I found Full Sail to be closer to Trouble Brewing Sabotage which I also didn't like, although on the latter I found more of a hop profile which at least gave something to my taste buds when everything else was lacking.

Maybe someone swapped labels on my bottle, there was absolutely no massive hop presence, quite the opposite, with merely a hint of any malts at all. "Embittered water" was my description from smell to taste to aftertaste.

I really don't know what you drank, but it sounds nothing like Galway Bay's Full Sail.

If you think Sabotage is MORE hoppy, you might have something wrong with you, do you have a flu/hay fever/scalded tongue or by any chance?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Sabotage nearly blew me away the first time I tried it back in the spring. :o I couldn't taste anything else I drank later that night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

They seem to change the recipe of both Sabotage and Full Sail every other week (which drives me nuts). The last version (bottled) of Full Sail I had lacked aroma hops, but had a good whack of hop bitterness backed by some big sweet malts and was very good indeed.

• Advertisement

Sabotage nearly blew me away the first time I tried it back in the spring. :o I couldn't taste anything else I drank later that night.

Seriously?

The first time I had it was from cask, it tasted like, well, a mild red ale, nothing like a pale ale. I then had it a few weeks later from cask again "dry hopped" and again it tasted more malty than hoppy and very underwhelming.

I then had it from draught and while it was more like a pale ale it was still very muted.

Unless it has changed massively since, I honestly think it's tastes more like a red ale than an IPA.

There's a regular in the salt house who HATES hoppy beersm refuses to try American style pales and IPA's but doesn't mind english bitters and the odd casked version of pales, drinks stuff like Land Lord a lot.
    He absolutely loves Sabotage, precisely because it's not hoppy.

I really don't know what you drank, but it sounds nothing like Galway Bay's Full Sail.

If you think Sabotage is MORE hoppy, you might have something wrong with you, do you have a flu/hay fever/scalded tongue or by any chance?
    No, but thanks for your concern..or maybe I should put that word in quotation marks, not sure.

I had a Torpedo after from a can. Not even near my favourite IPA, but tasted as I've used to it. Palate was fine, Full Sail not. Get used to other people disagreeing with your taste, maybe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

8 Degrees Hurricane is comfortably the best Irish 'American IPA' anyway.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,779 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The B&C had a cask of sabotage that was dry hopped and was very hoppy, and very tasty. Otherwise I've found it to be lacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

No, but thanks for your concern..or maybe I should put that word in quotation marks, not sure.

I had a Torpedo after from a can. Not even near my favourite IPA, but tasted as I've used to it. Palate was fine, Full Sail not. Get used to other people disagreeing with your taste, maybe?

Ah Seaneh is just sensitive when it comes to criticism of the Galway beers. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Always found Sabotage fairly boring to be honest, a very safe drink to start off on at best. Certainly wouldn't describe it as hoppy anyway.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Ah Seaneh is just sensitive when it comes to criticism of the Galway beers. ;)
    AND I also disliked Buried At Sea! :eek:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

AND I also disliked Buried At Sea! :eek:

On tap or bottled out of interest? Seems to be getting mixed reviews from the bottled version. I love it on draught myself, haven't gotten a bottle yet.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Thats it Buried At Sea is going in the fridge. Going to see why its getting so many mixed reviews.

On tap or bottled out of interest? Seems to be getting mixed reviews from the bottled version. I love it on draught myself, haven't gotten a bottle yet.
    Bottle. Always missed it on draught (broke/pub ran out/forgot about it). I will probably try on draught. I didn't even think the carbonation was the main issue, but the sweetness and the totally-not-subtle milky chocolatey taste. I mean it was almost closer to a "flavoured alcoholic beverage" than a beer.

Now that I remember I also disliked Galway Bay Voyager. I might have even confused that with Sabotage when comparing to Full Sail, but the comparison still stands. Sabotage was rather bland but still accomplished something in the hop department. Voyager was just monotonously bitter with nothing much else going on.

I agree about voyager, really unbalanced beer. Someone once described it to me by saying "it tastes like ear wax".

I agree about voyager, really unbalanced beer. Someone once described it to me by saying "it tastes like ear wax".

Which begs the question.....

Just got a very belated birthday present (posted 3 weeks ago) from California.

A Lagunitas Brewing Co. T-shirt.

Would have prefered a Lagunitas IPA but sure I can't have everything I want!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Lagunitas do some really great beer.

Having a little can of Brooklyn Summer Ale, but it's just not good.

With all the Galway talk I opened the Bay Ale tonight. Another carbonation disaster. That's 2 out 3 that tasted like bottles of home brew that were opened too early! :(
    Tasted nice, but you'd expect better considering the price tag. I'll get them again cos I'm a geek but I'm sure they've lost some custom because of it.

• Advertisement

Same as BaZmO* all thevtalk made me open my Buried at sea.

Poured rich dark colour with a head that reminds me of pouring coffee too fast.

Smelled lovely and sweet and tasted quite sweet with a slight smokey malt.

Don't think the bottle works to be honest. Never had it on tap so can't compare.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cracked open a hoptimum and a wild beer co bliss.

Moved onto Kona Fire Rock Pale Ale think its the first Hawaiian beer I ever had.

A little sweet tastes caramel like with malt and a hoppy kick. A slight honey aftertaste.

Interesting maybe a great summer type beer in a hot climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I like what Kona have done with their new bottles. The Hawaiian Islands on the glass, and the lip of the bottle is slightly grainier than a regular bottle. Nothing to do with the beer, that's generally great on it's own :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Just finished a couple of bottles of St. Austell Proper Job IPA. Lovely stuff and I'd recommend it if you like Blonde beers / Pale Ale type stuff. I bought it in Superquinn.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

McEwan's Champion ale tonight.

Geuze wrote: »
    McEwan's Champion ale tonight.

And was it?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,274 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

BaZmO* wrote: »
    And was it?

Aye, lovely drop, my head is a bit warm and fuzzy now.

Nicely shaped bottle.

The 7.3% is hitting me now, must go to sleep. Goodnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Having O'Hara's Jameson Barrel Aged Lean Follain, extremely impressed with it. O'Hara's should really do this more often, its one of the best barrel aged stouts I've ever had.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Are you sure its jameson barrels they be using?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement