Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What beer are we drinking this week ?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

BeerNut wrote: »
    Too right. Except you have no legal right to know what's in any alcoholic beverage.

Which is stupid.

Their should be compulsory labelling of all foodstuffs, people should have the basic right of knowing what they are putting in their bodies.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I'll be steering clear of any beer I know that have GFCS, HFCS, inverted corn syrup, or whatever new name they can think of to hide that stuff, in it.

I'm guess pretty naive not to have checked before in my beers, I avoid it in anything I can.

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'll be steering clear of any beer I know that have GFCS, HFCS, inverted corn syrup, or whatever new name they can think of to hide that stuff, in it.

I'm guess pretty naive not to have checked before in my beers, I avoid it in anything I can.

Yeah, I try not to eat highly processed foods like refined sugars or grains and completely avoid HFCS when I am aware of it, putting **** like that into your body is just daft.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭G rock

My Local off license has severely limited what used to be (for cavan) quite a good range of beer, so today I placed my first order on drinkstore.

Thanks to this thread I had a few on the list to try, so looking forward to the delivery.

Got a couple of hoptimum, and a couple of the oxman. I'm expecting big things!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

Seaneh wrote: »
    Yeah, I try not to eat highly processed foods like refined sugars or grains and completely avoid HFCS when I am aware of it, putting **** like that into your body is just daft.

Surely the HFCS is the fermentable and is not actually present in the finished beer no?

• Advertisement

drumswan wrote: »
    Surely the HFCS is the fermentable and is not actually present in the finished beer no?

It's not all fermented out, and even if it was, I still don't want to drink a beer that the makers don't even believe in enough to bother to use proper ingredients to make.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Passenger

beer_199282.jpg

Galway Bay Brewery Buried At Sea

Delicious full bodied stout with just the lightest hint of dark chocolate and coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭snowblind

Seeing corn in an ingredients list certainly won't leave me a good first impression.

Thankfully I read the label of Rodenbach Grand Cru only on my second bottle, maybe I would have convinced myself it was less lovely if I had known...

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

Am drinking 'King Goblin' this week.. Gorgeous stuff..!! (a bit pricey though).

I'm becoming a big fan of Wychwood brewery. Had some of their 'Scarecrow' pale ale as well this week. Very nice too..:)

Hoptimum. Holy mother of hops. I like this though. There's a few different flavours coming out during different sips, it's unusual. This is really good.

• Advertisement

My second ever Sierra Nevada Porter. Even more delicious than I remembered it.

Tried the Porterhouse Celebration stout. Still not sure of what I make of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Two new beers on the way from 8 Degrees, Hurricane and Cyclone. Hoppy affairs by all accounts. Interesting.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,857 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Any fans of Kwak here? I'm enjoying my first bottle of the stuff quite a lot.
    BaZmO* wrote: »
    Two new beers on the way from 8 Degrees, Hurricane and Cyclone. Hoppy affairs by all accounts. Interesting.

They've been talking about these a lot on their Facebook page. Northern Hemisphere hops versus Southern. Should be a fun experiment anyway!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,203 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Any fans of Kwak here? I'm enjoying my first bottle of the stuff quite a lot.

Yep I love the stuff. They have bottles of it inconsistently in ATG. Usually get one when I see it.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

They've been talking about these a lot on their Facebook page. Northern Hemisphere hops versus Southern. Should be a fun experiment anyway!
    A la Sierra Nevada so. Hopefully it's as nice.

My second ever Sierra Nevada Porter. Even more delicious than I remembered it.
    You pick this up in Dublin perchance?

About to crack a 750ml bottle of Brooklyn Sorachi Ace.

You pick this up in Dublin perchance?

Yeah, in Drinkstore. The only place know that does it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Yeah, in Drinkstore. The only place know that does it.

I've bought it in Redmonds.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

Also, Devenneys DO, in fact, now have Hoptimum. I think I was misunderstood when I asked last week.

Ravelleman wrote: »

Cool, I'll keep remember that. Dya know if they had the Stout? It's nothing amazing, I'd just like to have another for the memories.

• Advertisement

Ravelleman wrote: »

Ive never seen it in Redmonds, have been on the lookout too. You just cant beat Drinkstores selection.

The Brooklyn Sorachi Ace is awesome. Must drink more Belgian style beer.

Cool, I'll keep remember that. Dya know if they had the Stout? It's nothing amazing, I'd just like to have another for the memories.

I was in there today but just got my Hoptimum so I wasn't looking for long.
    Ive never seen it in Redmonds, have been on the lookout too. You just cant beat Drinkstores selection.

I got it there in May or early June if I remember correctly.

I need to get another Hoptimum. It leaves a taste in your mouth that you never want to go away.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,780 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Whitewater's Hopplehammer on cask in Bierhaus and Abbot's, Cork.
    And at a recession busting €4 pint/€2 half.
    For a 6% beer, that's cheap drinking.
    I never tried this beer in bottle as I never heard anything good about them but it is lovely on cask - not exactly a hop bomb by any means but a lovely cask offering.

Left Hand's Fade To Black. Reminds me a bit of Emelisse Black IPA.

Harviestoun Ola Dubh (Not sure if it's a porter or stout) is a little disappointing. Very syrupy which would be ok, but the whiskey doesn't come through strong enough for me. It has some nice roasted flavours beyond that, but a little let down.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,442 ✭✭✭Heroditas

Pint of St Austell Tribute with lunch
    St Austell HSD later on during a pit stop.
    Now supping on a Wooden Hand Brewery Cornish Buccaneer.

Mikkeller Beer Geek Breakfast. That's some bitter coffee flavour, but one of the more impressive Mikkeller's overall.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Ruben Remus

Hi folks. I'm visiting New York soon, but will spend most of my time upstate rather than in the city. Are there any beers in particular that I should try to seek out?

Hi folks. I'm visiting New York soon, but will spend most of my time upstate rather than in the city. Are there any beers in particular that I should try to seek out?
    If you can get your hands on some Southern Tier theres enough there to keep you going a year.

Ratebeers search function lets you search by US state and order by rating:

http://www.ratebeer.com/search.php

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭quinnp

Picked up some Fullers 'ESB' & '1845' yesterday after I discovered them in my local off license.

The 1845 looks interesting at 6.3% abv..

Going to have 'em with a good cigar later this evening..:)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement