Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 2 (Jude)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Oryx wrote: »
    Yup, Id go with that too. Next question. Which fairytale?

Hansel and Gretel

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Good point. I'd also be in favour of everyone doing the same fairytale, if we're going ahead with the fairytale idea...

Yep, me three. I'd much prefer to see the variety on one fairytale. Maybe we should have a voting thread to choose a story from the list posted earlier.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Or just let pickarooney choose one at random. More challenge for us with that. :)

True! Random will make me try harder!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I like that idea - for example, when the next Variation thread is posted we get 48 hours to vote. If you don't get to vote that doesn't really matter, because we didn't have a poll for the first two, so there was no vote for them, and it's really just to whittle things down. Alternatively, Pickarooney could be given the honour of choosing, since all the work seems to be falling in Pickarooney's lap (and surely all the responsibility deserves some of the "privilege" of having casting vote on things like this too).

I either need to learn to type faster or be less verbose (or both, but I like my verbosity!).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

Oryx wrote: »
    Or just let pickarooney choose one at random. More challenge for us with that. :)

that's good too

or how about the winner of the Jude competition gets to pick? Or the person who is second as a consolation prize considering it will be pretty close?

or how about everybody picks their favourite and then we do a search on boards and the one that has been mentioned the most since boards began is the one we go with :D

or if it comes down to 2 fairy tales we could merge them together. Hansel and gretel meet the three little pigs. (If anyone thinks that a stroke of genius it only came to me because of pickarooney's 2-person team idea)

Well that'd be a challenge anyway... :o

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If memory serves, some of you pushing for a single story skeleton were the same ones who felt the first one was too constrictive and led to reader fatigue.

What gives?

I'm thinking down the line of having a comp with forced collaboration - two-person teams contributing stories. More out of morbid curiosity than anything else.

Noooo! I am so bad at team writing, it makes me cry. How can I start writing something an hour and a half before it has to be PM'd if I'm writing with someone else? *loses mind*

Now that I've got my diva bit done, sure, why not?

Pickarooney, you'll never please all of the people all of the time. We can all make suggestions but ultimately you get to make the final call. After all, if someone doesn't like the competition for the month, they don't have to enter, but someone who wouldn't ordinarily enter might like it and decide to give it a go - an rud is annamh is iontach and all that jazz. (I still think everyone singing different songs from the same hymn sheet is my favourite way to go though. :) Then everyone has the same opportunities.)

Please don't let us wreck your head - we love you really!

I wouldnt be up for collaborative writing, even though I know that sounds selfish and uncooperative. :) Ive only begun writing, its still a very personal and individual thing, Im still having to learn how I write, cant imagine coping with anothers style too. Also, team writing might work across a desk from someone, but on boards it could be a nightmare if you have trouble communicating with your teammate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Cinderella FTW

EDIT: Also we've had a story of inner conflict, we've had a story in which the protagonists had a journey or a task to fulfil, i.e. a goal to reach. We haven't yet had a love story, and as this is VARIATIONS ON A THEME, that is certainly a theme that should be explored.

You know it makes sense. It's the perfect rags to riches love story, and the scope for rewriting it is huge (compared with, say, Snow White or Jack & the Beanstalk).

What say ye?

davyjose wrote: »
    Cinderella FTW

EDIT: Also we've had a story of inner conflict, we've had a story in which the protagonists had a journey or a task to fulfil, i.e. a goal to reach. We haven't yet had a love story, and as this is VARIATIONS ON A THEME, that is certainly a theme that should be explored.

You know it makes sense. It's the perfect rags to riches love story, and the scope for rewriting it is huge (compared with, say, Snow White or Jack & the Beanstalk).

What say ye?

I say you missed the gay undertones in Jack and Beanstalk.

Can I second cinders? At first I thought nah, but now an idea is forming. :) we can always go with Jack next time, in the interests of gay rights and all that. And who said cinderella had to be straight, anyway? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

I have zero interest in team writing. I'd be totally against going in that direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I wouldn't feel too great about collaborative writing either - the main reason I love writing is because I don't have to work with anyone else while doing it... If it was a script or something then yeah, but not for short stories... although in theory it sounds like an interesting experiment...

I'd be cool with Cinderella, although I'd really have to tone down my idea a bit... I don't think an exploding jizz monster and a fairy God-hooker will go down very well in the voting stage of the competition...

Cool, teamwork it is then.

The sory will be the Czech classic The Jezinkas and told from the point of view of one of the goats (you're free to choose between Jozy and Cermik). It should be in eleven individual stanzas of haxamic pentameter and incorporate the message of revenge as a dish best served cold.

The sory will be the Czech classic The Jezinkas and told from the point of view of one of the goats (you're free to choose between Jozy and Cermik). It should be in eleven individual stanzas of haxamic pentameter and incorporate the message of revenge as a dish best served cold.

Oh great I'm already finished! Where do I submit? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

uh oh, we angered pickarooney... run for your lives...

..haxamic pentameter and incorporate the message of revenge as a dish best served cold.
    Is that hexamic pentameter using a hack?

Definitely wouldn't mind doing a story inspired by a specific fairytale. I had a great idea for Jack & the Beanstalk, but I'd rather we all did stories based off the one story so don't mind if something else is picked.

• Advertisement

Does anyone not want to have it that everyone writes a variation of the same fairy-tale?

You know, separate from the VoaT competitions, it might be fun to try something along the lines of an exquisite corpse at some stage.

Antilles wrote: »
    You know, separate from the VoaT competitions, it might be fun to try something along the lines of an exquisite corpse at some stage.

Que?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exquisite_corpse

Though according to that, what I'm thinking of is actually called "consequences".

Gah, getting a good few votes with no comments in the thread now...
    Let's hope it doesn't affect the final outcome or nobody will be happy whichever way the rules are applied, I fear.

Pickarooney I've heard from 20 boardsies who voted for mine but their votes didn't appear in the poll for some reason.

Also, their comments mysteriously disappeared.

And they wish to remain anonymous now.

Can you manually add their votes back in for me?

Cheers! :D

I'd be happy to, but I have no idea which story is yours so I'll just pick one at random, OK?

I wish people would vote for more than one story. Not for my own benefit, but I'd love to see more feedback for all the stories and what they excelled/failed at doing. Selfish voters, limiting my learning experience! :)

Hey, don't knock it, at least they're voting. BTW, if anyone wants more specific feedback after voting closes, don't hesitate to ask for it.

BTW, I was half expecting your sig to link to one specific post :D

• Advertisement

Hey, don't knock it, at least they're voting. BTW, if anyone wants more specific feedback after voting closes, don't hesitate to ask for it.

BTW, I was half expecting your sig to link to one specific post :D

Yeah, I know, I just love finding out what makes people like or dislike the stories (especially ones I voted for). The variety of opinion is great though, a real goldmine of constructive feedback.

Advertisement