Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 2 (Jude)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

That's a bit disappointing! :(

I just sent mine to you now!

Is anyone out there writing but just hasn't submitted yet? I hope noone was put off by not doing well in the competition. My entry came well down the rankings, but I'm doing it again anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,276 ✭✭✭Memnoch

I wanted to write a short, and actually had an idea around it, then decided the idea would actually be good for a screenplay so am not submitting anything this time around.

Will look forward to reading those who do though. It's funny how quickly time can pass.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 6,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭silvervixen84

I have one in progress at the moment, I'll get it in to ye in a couple of days :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Sending mine tonight.

Looking forward to a good reading session on Saturday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Pickarooney,

Can you confirm that you got mine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

I just sent mine in now. It has absolutely no link to my initial idea. I had a basic premise for the one I wrote bubbling away in my head for a week or so, then wrote it all in 30 minutes.

I don't think I'd vote for it though! Is that bad? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

My first idea couldn't have been done in 1000 words (or even close to that).
    My second idea would have scoffed at for borrowing a narrative idea from someone else's Kim story. I'll say more after the deadline has passed.

I'm very happy with my current story, but it was 3rd time lucky. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 122 ✭✭dawvee

I've been meaning to get something in for this one, but all my ideas lately have been funnelling into my draft novel (56,000 words and counting!), and I've been reluctant to divert myself to work on anything else. Still a few days left, though, so I'm hoping I can sit down and write an entry for this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Hmm ... I was a little like this too - somehow, even thought it's only the second comp, the writing fatigue is setting in, and procrastination kicks in!

But I'm glad I forced myself to write something. I do like writing - I just need a kick up the ass to make myself do it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Sorry for not getting back to everyone. I haven't had a chance to read through them all yet, but I've got 6 7 stories in now, and you know who you are.

Also, it only dawned on me now that 1st May is a Saturday - I won't be able to put up the entries until Monday 3rd. Hope that's OK.

As long as the cut off for entries is still the same I don't see how anyone can complain!

It'd be nice to get ten in by then, but I expected less interest so soon after the first one. From what I've read so far, nobody should have trouble distinguishing the stories or reading them all through in one or two sittings.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Ok, so submissions up until 23:59 on 01.05.2010?

(Yes, my good intentions flew straight out the window and I'm only toying with an idea now, so who knows whether I'll get there.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

I have an idea and the full story is written "in my head" but I haven't had time to actually thump the keyboard and get it spewed out yet and I have a crazy weekend so looks like I'm going to miss this one :(

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Thats a pity amadeus, after last time I really would like to see your idea for this one. Im looking forward to reading everyones take on this. And it seems ages since we started it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Oryx wrote: »
    Thats a pity amadeus, after last time I really would like to see your idea for this one. Im looking forward to reading everyones take on this. And it seems ages since we started it :)

Gentle nudge accepted :) I cranked it out last night. It sounded better in my head but too late now...

We've got 9 entries now. Blush_01 and dawvee - either of you want to make it a nice round ten (or a super-sexy 11)?

I've held off from reading them this time around so I can enjoy them all at once on Monday.

Gentle nudge accepted :) I cranked it out last night. It sounded better in my head but too late now...
    Only paying you back for all the running last year. ;) Great stuff, cant wait to see it.

Almost ten entries is brilliant. Go us. :D

• Advertisement

11 now and just over an hour to go...

Um, you mean 26 hours to go, right?

Is it midnight tomorrow? :o Whatever, I won't be putting them up until Monday in any case.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭DingosAteMyBaby

aww i only found this now:( I look forward to reading the entries anyway:) Will definitely enter the next competition!

aww i only found this now:( I look forward to reading the entries anyway:) Will definitely enter the next competition!

You fool, this is the perfect opportunity for a speed written piece! :D

Yeah, if you spend more than 37 minutes writing a 1000 word story, you're doing it wrong!

Antilles wrote: »
    You fool, this is the perfect opportunity for a speed written piece! :D

You think I haven't toyed with the idea?! I'm sitting here studying contract law but really daydreaming about Jude and that oh-so-important piece of paper:( the possibilities are endless...

Yeah, if you spend more than 37 minutes writing a 1000 word story, you're doing it wrong!
    Thats been my secret all along. :)

True, but I lack discipline. Once I start writing I will it's the equivalent of written diarrhea . I'd probably knock out around 5 pages and have to spend ages editing:(

• Advertisement

Just delete everything after word 1000, give it a real "to be continued..." feel.

Advertisement