Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Competition: Variations on a theme 2 (Jude)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭angelll

Mine is going to have a real 'crap it's saturday and i still have nothing written yet' feel :D Will pm it tonight (i hope)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Miranda7

Me too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭ToasterSparks

Cool. There's gonna be a flurry of late entries then? Look forward to reading them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,183 ✭✭✭Antilles

True, but I lack discipline. Once I start writing I will it's the equivalent of written diarrhea . I'd probably knock out around 5 pages and have to spend ages editing:(

...*whispers* nobody tell DingosAteMyBaby about James Joyce!

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

12 now. Excellent stuff.

• Advertisement

12 now. Excellent stuff.

Not that I'm complaining, but I thought you weren't going to be around to post them today :D

I haven't had more than 5 minutes consecutive peace since 6 this morning so it would have surely been an ungodly mess if I'd posted them up. Besides, tonight is the cutoff, right? :D

True that. Take your time, pickarooney. We all appreciate the work you've put into organising these competitions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

angelll wrote: »
    Mine is going to have a real 'crap it's saturday and i still have nothing written yet' feel :D Will pm it tonight (i hope)

+1

Unfortunately mine's an uninspiring first draft that made it through at 23:58 but I've entered one now, so roll on next time when I'll actually get the finger out. :)

13 at the table... how long do we let voting run for, do you reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 55,473 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

A week? Then if the next story is started next weekend, we'll have 3 weeks to work at it. A 3 week / 1 week cycle sounds good to me.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

A week for voting sounds good. Long as everyone votes.. :) I wonder if its out of place to ask amadeus to choose the next outline? Seeing as I stole that priviledge on him last time? It would also mean were all set to go on number 3 next week?

I had a couple of ideas. I suppose this thread is good a place as any to discus them.

If everyone proposes something we can go with a show of hands.

A week for voting seems fine, if we can get people to look at the thread in time.

Toastersparks - I really don't know how twitter works; can you spread the word somehow with that, maybe ask #boards.ie to tweet it?

Toastersparks - I really don't know how twitter works; can you spread the word somehow with that, maybe ask #boards.ie to tweet it?

That'd be @boards_ie :)
    (No, I don't get twitter either)

Sent a message there!

(And trust me, I don't get Twitter either, but any publicity is good publicity, right?)

Voting is open HERE.

Please remember to keep any posts which do not contain feedback on the stories themselves to this thread and to PM me with anything urgent (e.g. I've chopped off half your story). Stories were again added in random order but they seem more varied and hopefully there will be no advantage or disadvantage to being near the top or bottom of the list.

Best of luck everyone!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

Again, as with the kim story, both sexes covered. I thought Jude was unambiguously a guys name.
    Never even thought of nicknames/abbreviated names.

This comp really is a brilliant idea. A real shot in the arm for this forum, when I think of how lifeless it once seemed.

I'm going to read them all through again after lunch, but after the first time there was one that stood out and five more running it very close. I wasn't overly surprised to see so much death and terror this time, you sick little puppies!

I've read half of them. I'll read the other half later this morning. Really high standard again, that's for sure. Fantastic variety too.

Pickarooney - the sticky title still says Competition 1.

Y'know, the more I look at the entries, the more I cringe at my own. Even with the fairly narrow outline there was still a variety of approaches and some really good short stories!

I can't wait for the next one now, this whole thing has been an excellent idea!

• Advertisement

Eleven votes already. Hopefully this will keep up and we'll get a big turnout this time.

If you've any suggestions for next month's competition (and it's looking like a monthly event at this stage :)), let fly. It doesn't have to be along the same lines; anything that will get people writing, and enjoying it, is good.

I've added a link to my sig.
    Can the Arts cmods make a cat-wide announcement? Is that possible?

I'd love to see an image used - be it a sepia photograph or a painting or whatever. If anyone else likes that as an idea we could look for one over the next few days maybe?

As I've said in my voting message, the standard is brilliant. I love the variety of entries (even if a lot of the entries have unhappy endings). I think everyone's efforts have really rejuvenated the forum (especially Pickarooney's, thanks!).

And as we all know - writing lots is the best way to improve your writing. I'm glad I have a reason to hone my skills every month, and the feedback is brilliant for all of us to help us improve.

Looking forward to reading everyone's takes on the entries and where they went right or wrong. Great way to help me improve. We're pretty much an online writing group now!

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

I havent cast my vote yet, Im waiting till I not on m.boards. I suggested this theme, and I got to say Im surprised that people found it narrow, and that so many stuck to terrorism and turbulence. :) No mile high club, no club med groups. Jude wasnt ever captain or crew. That said, there was a lot of variety in the stories, even though yet again we love to kill people off all the time :)
    Ill leave it to another to suggest next months theme, I really love these competitions, as both an entrant and voter.

There certainly seems to be more/faster voting for this one than last time! My entry is not going to win, but to be honest I didn't think it would be a "crowd pleaser," and was more concerned with being happy with it myself -- which I am. I can't wait for next month's one now!

I like Blush_01's idea of using an image as the next story prompt, but how about a selection of photos?

The brief could be: "Write a story story of approximimately 1,000 words, inspired by a photograph from http://www.time.com/time/yip/2005/"

Anyone else want to sig the voting thread?

I think a selection of photos is a bit too vague and there might as well be no constraint. And some wiseacre would just post a photo which is mathematically equivalent to 1000 words anyway.

I was thinking of giving the first and last lines of a story and getting everyone to fill in the blanks. It's kind of a cruel idea though, giving a sort of false liberty to the writer.

Another idea was a story on anything you like but mentioning all the colours of the rainbow in the body of the text.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

I've added the link for the competition to my signature - hopefully it'll draw some people over here...

Added it to my sig :D

• Advertisement

If anyone notices that their votes are not being tallied and are getting a message saying they have already voted, can they let me know by PM and maybe hit the HelpDesk?

Thanks.

Advertisement