Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leinster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJims

almighty1 wrote: »

Very pleased with this signing.

Is this confirmed ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭CouchSmart

TheJims wrote: »
    Is this confirmed ?

Officially no. Poster on Leinsterfans seems to reckon it's a done deal, as of Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

But the poster on the Leinster forum is a complete newbie. Only 10 posts. Intriguing...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Obviously wait for official confirmation but it seems Carr to Leinster is in fact going to happen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Those tips on Leinser fans are usually reliable enough to be fair. If someone says definitely they usually know something / someone.

I think Carr will be one of the most significant signings Leinster make, I think he'll be first team, and I think he'll have a Bowe-esq improvement once he gets in a good backline.

Horgan is getting on, maybe one more season left, Fitz form is flakey, Kearney has lots of injuries, we've turned to McFadden, a centre on the wing, Conway could be great, but very young, don't think Dave Kearney will ever be top class. (despite very good season for tries). I don't think Morris was ever going to be great either, but best of luck to him at Leicester.

Carr will be looking for a starting berth at Leinster, and he brings something we really lack, blistering pace. I'm very excited by his signing.

• Advertisement

[Jackass] wrote: »
    Those tips on Leinser fans are usually reliable enough to be fair. If someone says definitely they usually know something / someone.

I think Carr will be one of the most significant signings Leinster make, I think he'll be first team, and I think he'll have a Bowe-esq improvement once he gets in a good backline.

Horgan is getting on, maybe one more season left, Fitz form is flakey, Kearney has lots of injuries, we've turned to McFadden, a centre on the wing, Conway could be great, but very young, don't think Dave Kearney will ever be top class. (despite very good season for tries). I don't think Morris was ever going to be great either, but best of luck to him at Leicester.

Carr will be looking for a starting berth at Leinster, and he brings something we really lack, blistering pace. I'm very excited by his signing.

Ye, good post. Adding onto Horgan, over the next two years there's going to be a serious transition at Leinster. O'Driscoll, D'Arcy and unfortunately, Nacewa will all have probably moved on, along with Horgan. Those are some big boots to fill and with young players such as Conway and Macken unlikely to be ready to fill such boots it's important we get some experienced lads like Carr back.

Our long term goal should be to have two players competing for every jersey.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

Think he'll be a great signing, but a long way to go to be a HC starter imo.
    He's really Connachts go to man, and won't get half the ball in Leinster imo, plus we play at a far higher level in Europe than Connacht, so I wouldn't be getting too excira yet.

However, I do really think the pace and spark he brings is a big big plus, as it's something were lacking. Even Nacewa isn't that quick.

Squad is shaping up quite nicely for next season:

Props:
    Ross
    Healy
    Heinke
    Hagan
    McGrath
    Shawe/O'Connell/AN other?

Hooker:
    Strauss
    Cronin
    Harris-Wright

Second-Row:
    Cullen
    Sykes
    Toner
    O'Donohue
    Sherrif?

Backrow:
    Heaslip
    O'Brien
    Jennings
    D. Ryan
    Ruddock
    McLoughlin
    P. Ryan?
    Keogh?

Scrumhalf:
    Reddan
    Boss
    O'Donoghue
    AN other?

Flyhalf:
    Sexton
    Berquist
    Madigan?
    McKinley?*

Centre:
    O'Driscoll
    D'Arcy
    McFadden
    O'Malley
    Macken
    Sheridan?*

Back3:
    Fitz
    Nacewa
    Horgan
    R. Kearney
    D. Kearney
    Conway
    Carr?
    Keating?*

(? = not so sure, * = final year of academy, not sure on Keating though - I think he's only year 2 but dunno?).

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Our long term goal should be to have two players competing for every jersey.

For the time being we're pretty strong in that regard I think, with more than one great option for each jersey.

1. Healy or Van Der Merwe
    2. Strauss or Cronin
    3. Ross or Hagan
    4. Cullen or Toner
    5. Sykes or O'Donoghue
    6. O'Brien or McLoughlin
    7. Jennings or Dom Ryan
    8. Heaslip or Ruddock

9. Reddan or Boss
    10. Sexton or Berquist
    11. Fitz or Carr
    12. D'Arcy or McFadden
    13. O'Driscoll or O'Malley
    14. Horgan or Conway
    15. Nacewa or Rob Kearney

Fair enough second row is still a bit weak for depth, and tighthead with the loss of Wright, but Hagan could potentially be superb and I'm looking forward to seeing him getting a lot of game time in the early parts of next season when Ross is rested post world cup.

All in all though, fantastic squad. If you read the names on the right (the "or" option, that's our second string for next season. Not a bad back-up team at all!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Nice looking squad. Second row a bit concerning though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Keogh gone to Shannon in a player/coach role

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/22919.php

Not surprised he's gone with all the young talent coming through. Would have thought he might have moved to Connacht though seeing as he has a few more playing years left.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Goodluck to him

You can tell that Keogh absolutely loves playing rugby. He's not a special player by any stretch of the imagination. But he would rarely be totally outclassed on a pitch. Also a super leader I always thought.

Surplus to requirements for next year though, and no surprise he's left. I definitely figured him for another year or two of professional rugby though. Although perhaps he has exhausted all his avenues in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I'm a little surprised not to see him land a professional contract abroad. Best of luck to him and I am not surprised to see him leave Leinster

• Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Keogh gone to Shannon in a player/coach role

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/22919.php

Not surprised he's gone with all the young talent coming through. Would have thought he might have moved to Connacht though seeing as he has a few more playing years left.

Would be well down the pecking order in Connacht as well with all due respect to him. With the 3 lads coming in and the young lads coming through it's probably our strongest unit.

It's a good indication of Irish rugby that Keogh wouldn't really get a look in at any of the four provinces, as he's up to Magners League or Aviva Premiership levels.

He probably could have gotten a move to England or Wales or Scotland or even Italy for that matter, if he really wanted to, but I'd say he's happy enough to go into coaching at this stage of his career. Good player though and has always been very reliable.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

Just announced on RTE1 that Damien Browne is signing for Leinster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

Jedwardian wrote: »
    Just announced on RTE1 that Damien Browne is signing for Leinster.

he'll be a good signing, big experienced unit who wont let us down. They must have lost faith in Ed O'Donoghue.

Not suprised or disappointed to see Keogh leave, never impressed with him or his attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭WeeBushy

bamboozle wrote: »
    Not suprised or disappointed to see Keogh leave, never impressed with him or his attitude.

Really?? That's something I've always been impressed with. He's not the most skillful rugby player, but he's been such a great, and important, squad player for us. Whenever called upon he never let us down, and was always a steady, calming influence when the internationals were away.

Although with all the talent coming through in the back row it was time for him to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

WeeBushy wrote: »
    Really?? That's something I've always been impressed with. He's not the most skillful rugby player, but he's been such a great, and important, squad player for us. Whenever called upon he never let us down, and was always a steady, calming influence when the internationals were away.

Although with all the talent coming through in the back row it was time for him to go.

no problem with his on field attitude, never struck me as the model rugby professional off it though in several late night sightings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

no problem with his on field attitude, never struck me as the model rugby professional off it though in several late night sightings.

Does it really matter if he performs on the pitch though? One of the worst offenders in Irish rugby has been voted ERC player of the last 15 years! (anyone who has seen O'Gara on the sauce will know what I am talking about :D)

The fact is professional rugby players don't get to drink often or go out much so not only is their tolerance level down but a lot them also tend to go a bit mad when they get the opportunity to have a night out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Sad to see him go. He has been the consumate professional throughout his time at Leinster. He was quite hard done by not to be capped following his debut season when every Irish back up player went to Argentina ahead of the World Cup. Whatever he was like off the pitch, he's no different to many Irish players in that regard.

Following his fall down the pecking order after the return of Jennings and then Rocky, he showed nothing but pure dilligence and professionalism. When called upon, he gave 100% including an impressive spell last season during an injury hit period. His main contribution over the past 2 years however, was behind the scenes as he captained the A side and was an instrumental figure in the development of the younger lads around him as well as being an important figure in preparing the first XV for games. Munster fans who recall his running of the opposing line out and pack and contribution in the build up to the final against Biarritz in 2006 will appreciate how valuable he was behind the scenes. All the more considering he was dropped from the match day squad and must have been devestated.

He'll make a good coach and I wish him all the best. Must have had his fill of the pro game because I've no doubt he could have picked up a contract in France or England.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Perhaps Keogh had enough of the pro game, he's still only 28. I'm sure he would have got a contract somewhere had he made himself available.

Has EOD been injured pratically all season or he has not got chances? I've heard nothing of him since before the New Year.

Yup, he has only been available for selection for a handful of games so far

CouchSmart wrote: »
    Squad is shaping up quite nicely for next season:

Props:
    Ross
    Healy
    Heinke
    Hagan
    McGrath
    Shawe/O'Connell/AN other?

Hooker:
    Strauss
    Cronin
    Harris-Wright

Second-Row:
    Cullen
    Sykes
    Toner
    O'Donohue
    Damien Browne
    Sherrif?

Backrow:
    Heaslip
    O'Brien
    Jennings
    D. Ryan
    Ruddock
    McLoughlin
    P. Ryan?
    Keogh?

Scrumhalf:
    Reddan
    Boss
    O'Donoghue
    AN other?

Flyhalf:
    Sexton
    Berquist
    Madigan?
    McKinley?*

Centre:
    O'Driscoll
    D'Arcy
    McFadden
    O'Malley
    Macken
    Sheridan?*

Back3:
    Fitz
    Nacewa
    Horgan
    R. Kearney
    D. Kearney
    Conway
    Carr?
    Keating?*

(? = not so sure, * = final year of academy, not sure on Keating though - I think he's only year 2 but dunno?).

One out, one in. Interesting that Browne is 6'5" and 127kg!

Browne is an unusual signing.

He'll be a good squad player, but I wouldn't imagine he'll make a massive impression, but you never know. He's similar to the Hines mould anyway, big physical player, but not sure he would have the handling or defensive skills.

I suppose he's a good signing to add depth to our options, but does this mean the McLoughlin experiment is being abandoned? I'm disapointed to see this is an area we've neglected in developing players. It used to be the front row, now seems to be second row. No sign of major talent down the line either and Toner is very good squad player but not top class.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Jedwardian

[Jackass] wrote: »
    I'm disapointed to see this is an area we've neglected in developing players. It used to be the front row, now seems to be second row. No sign of major talent down the line either and Toner is very good squad player but not top class.
    In my opinion it's not neglect, it's just that the players aren't good enough. No amount of coaching will turn an average player with average skills into a top class, Heineken Cup or international standard player. I'm sure the coach would pick Mark Flanagan, Ciaran Ruddock, Eoin Sheriff and Ben Marshall if he felt they were up to the task. Maybe they'll come good but Leinster are right to plan ahead and sign players if they're not sure.

I don't think any team can field a full squad of players who've come solely through their academy and expect to compete for major silverware. Leinster are doing a fine job of building a squad around a core group of Leinster born players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭TheRevolution

I think Sykes is going to prove to be better than Hines, he looks incredibly powerful in the super 15 so I can only imagine how he'll look in the Magners, from what I've heard hes an absolute work horse and great around the park. This is a make or break season for Devin Toner I feel, if he doesn't prove that hes a viable consistent starter for a big team like Leinster next season by grasping this opportunity then I doubt Leinster will hang onto him much longer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

This is a make or break season for Devin Toner I feel, if he doesn't prove that hes a viable consistent starter for a big team like Leinster next season by grasping this opportunity then I doubt Leinster will hang onto him much longer

Theres a always room for a good squad player for injury cover/international cover

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

My rating of Leinster's lock choices for next season

Leo Cullen - The lineout leader of the first choice team, best lineout operator in the squad
    Steven Sykes - Good in the lineout, excellent around the park, capable ball carrier, I think he is very equivalent with Hines in terms of ability and impact but he will be available for the whole season while Hines missed international windows. Plus he is younger while Hines was going to decline due to age soon.
    Devin Toner - Well he is big isn't he, he can do well in the lineout but you would expect someone of his height to be even better, he isn't good on the ball and gets dumped backwards often
    Kevin McLaughlin - A backrow forward who is an excellent lineout operator, dynamic and good around the field
    Damien Browne - Big man, may be a bit heavy to succesfully lift at the lineout but I'm sure the lads will do their best, he is very physical around the park, he isn''t going to start for next season but he is good cover and will get plenty of time with the A team
    Ed O'Donoghue - Average squad cover and injury prone
    Eoin Sherif - He is 22 and hasn't yet had his debut in the first XV, he will get A team action in the B&I cup if he stays but I don't see him getting much actual game time in the senior team

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement