Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Week two will culminate in a team bonding session with an overnight camp and hike up Carrauntuohil in Co. Kerry.

Poor bastards!

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Gotta be the longest job interview ever: 3 years.

Slightly off topic but I remember watching Glasgow play Leinster this year when Leinster fielded (essentially) an academy side and thinking "Jesus, in a way these guys are under far more personal pressure than the likes of BOD/POC at HEC level, they are literally fighting for their jobs/future!"

You'd wonder if Murray and Rowley are a year too late (being in year 3). They just upgraded Duncan Williams from the academy, Stringer will be around for at least another 2 years (just signed new 2 year deal) and of course TOL is there too. They would hardly have 3 SHs on full contracts and 1 on a development contract on top of that.

The Munster squad now (full and development):

Horan
    Du Preez
    Dave Ryan
    Hurley
    Hayes
    Buckley
    Borlase
    Archer*

Flannery
    Varley
    Fogarty

POC
    DOC
    Ryan
    MOD
    Holland
    Nagle*
    Foley*

Quinlan
    TOD
    Wallace
    Ronan
    O'Mahony*
    Leamy
    Coughlan
    Butler*

TOL
    Stringer
    Williams

ROG
    Warwick
    Cusack*

Tuitupou
    Mafi
    Earls
    Murphy
    Gleeson

Howlett
    Murphy
    Hurley
    Dowling
    Barnes*

Jones
    Deasy*

*= development contract ; point out any mistakes/omissions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7645.php

Academy Return to Action
    14 June 2010, 5:40 pm
    By Fiona Murphy

Pre-season has commenced for the Munster Rugby academy and sub academy players.

With the exclusion of the Ireland U20s representatives who are in action in the Junior World Cup in Argentina, 25 academy and sub academy players were in attendance today in the University of Limerick.

Today is the first day of a comprehensive two week preparation programme, after which the academy players will link up with the senior squad's pre-season training, commencing on June 28th.

The next two weeks will see all the players based in Limerick for week one and Cork for week two. Areas covered will include fitness testing; skill development; fitness, speed and strength development; team meetings; tutorials to include psychology, lifestyle management, video analysis and laws of the game.

Week two will culminate in a team bonding session with an overnight camp and hike up Carrauntuohil in Co. Kerry.

The two week programme is being facilitated by the Academy Strength and Conditioning coaches Feargal O’Callaghan and Paudie Roche, Elite Development Officers Ray Egan and Ken O’Connell, and aided by academy physios Damien Mordan and Colm Coakley.

Munster Rugby Academy Players 2010/11:
    Year 3: Kieran Essex, Conor Murray, Eoghan Grace, Paul Rowley

Year 2: Pa O’Regan, Mike Sherry, Brian O’Hara, Dave O’Callaghan

Year 1: Cathal Sheridan, Gareth Quinn McDonagh, Simon Zebo, Ronan O’Mahony, Luke O’Dea, JJ Hanrahan, Corey Hircock, David Kilcoyne, Alan Cotter, Sean Henry, Brian Hayes

*Andrew Burke released

Big fall from grace for Andrew Burke. There were high hopes for him this time 13 months ago

Big fall from grace for Andrew Burke. There were high hopes for him this time 13 months ago

I remember reading on MFs that he wanted to play for UCC rather than be based in Limerick. The MB were none too happy.

I remember reading on MFs that he wanted to play for UCC rather than be based in Limerick. The MB were none too happy.

They hardly terminated his contract over that? Its not like we're over burdened with talented out half's.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hard to know about Burke, despite all his talent, he has never completed a full season (including schools, afaik) without missing large parts of it to injury. He is very talented, but he's also (sadly) injury prone. I guess after going through more or less the same issue with Manning the Munster management just had to realistic about whether his body would let him play pro rugby. He's in the same situation as Barry Keeshan a few years ago, very talented but not physically suited to the pro game, it'll be interesting to see if he can prove Munster wrong.

It's a pity, because when Burke is fit, he's one of the best young outhalves in Ireland. However, the grade is so steep from u20 to senior that missing large periods of seasons at his age will stunt his development.

Anyhow, on the squad for next year, still think we're a little light in the backrow, we could do with some of the young guys stepping up sooner rather then later.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 222 ✭✭Arrogance

I read a lot of hype about Burke but whenever I saw him play I was always disappointed. Seemed to be overly average I really couldnt understand why he was talked up so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

*= development contract ; point out any mistakes/omissions!

Shouldn't Zebo be there?

Otacon wrote: »
    Shouldn't Zebo be there?

Zebo is in the academy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Sorry, thought he had gone up. My mistake.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

Was at the Jersey launch today, got to meet Dougie, Warwick, ROG, Paulie, Denis Leamy and Keith Earls.

Leamy has the all clear and is doing full training, Keith is still rehabing but will be fit for the season start, and the great news is Paulie seems to be in flying form and is fairly well along on his rehab and should be ready for the season start or shortly after it as well..

Dougie I think will see out his playing days here, he indicated he had no intention of going back for this WC (easy to say now) but he seemed genuinely relaxed and at ease with himself, and was looking forward to the season with his new haircut.

Leamy looks like a lad who's been thru a full pre season already and really looked in top quality condition, looks really bulky and ripped already. Looked fresh and raring for the season to start, looked like a lad that was going to hit the season start flying and try anchor a place in the Ireland setup.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

What condition was Leamy in?

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Captain Average

Junior wrote: »

Dougie I think will see out his playing days here, he indicated he had no intention of going back for this WC (easy to say now) but he seemed genuinely relaxed and at ease with himself, and was looking forward to the season with his new haircut.

Whoah whoah whoah. What's this? New haircut? Has he never heard the tale of Samson? What has he done? This could be big news. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

Doug_Howlett_Train2710_Gal.jpg

!

Look at young Felix:

Felix_Jones_Train2710_Gal.jpg

rest of the pictures here.

FFS Jones spends one year in Limerick and he already looks like a bare knuckle boxer.

Leamy looks in great trim

I hope Warwick is given a chance at 10 next season.

Is that the alternate jersey?

Murphy, Leamy are like new signings really so little have we seen of them recently. How is Donncha Ryan doing I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,887 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

buck65 wrote: »
    Is that the alternate jersey?

no its the new training jersey

the supposed alternate is on the thread on jerseys.....its not really going down too well it seems

That's what I feared.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭Hyperbullet

Well thank christ for this. About time we got someone in to sort the scrum out.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7677.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Well thank christ for this. About time we got someone in to sort the scrum out.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7677.php

A 2 day window for applications :confused: Bit Irish.

I thought Paul McCarthy already had the job, maybe it's just a token application process.

I thought Paul McCarthy already had the job, maybe it's just a token application process.

bingo

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Corkladddd!!

Paddy strikes again, typical Irish attitude, he's there already shur we wont bother trying to get anyone else!!!!!

Sorry, just realised how much I miss Jim Williams.:o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

buck65 wrote: »
    Murphy, Leamy are like new signings really so little have we seen of them recently. How is Donncha Ryan doing I wonder?

Can anyone please post a pic of Donnacha Ryan for me please?
    He signed my jersey but I was talking to Paul O' Connell that day who passed over jersey to Donnacha to sign, so I dont even know what he looks like. Be nice to have a face to the name!

As buck65 says "How is he doing?" I wonder that maybe the reason I haven't seen him is because he is often suffering injuries/not usually on the starting line out?

Do forgive my somewhat female questions! I would be unable to talk at lenght about the game itself though when I watch I can follow and understand rules ect :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Can anyone please post a pic of Donnacha Ryan for me please?
    He signed my jersey but I was talking to Paul O' Connell that day who passed over jersey to Donnacha to sign, so I dont even know what he looks like. Be nice to have a face to the name!

As buck65 says "How is he doing?" I wonder that maybe the reason I haven't seen him is because he is often suffering injuries/not usually on the starting line out?

Do forgive my somewhat female questions! I would be unable to talk at lenght about the game itself though when I watch I can follow and understand rules ect :)

DonnachaRyan_Irelandtraining_Oct_Limerick_edited-1.jpg

That took 2 seconds on google :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭gavkm27

Just spotted Jerry Flannery holidaying in Bali:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Eoghan Grace has gone to the newly promoted Exeter Chiefs. Great more for him and now he has the oppertunity to perform at a high level. He has signed a 1 year contract. I think he might be there for more than 1 year and eventually come back to Munster.

• Site Banned Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭wixfjord

profitius wrote: »
    Eoghan Grace has gone to the newly promoted Exeter Chiefs. Great more for him and now he has the oppertunity to perform at a high level. He has signed a 1 year contract. I think he might be there for more than 1 year and eventually come back to Munster.

Wow great move. Cant see them staying up, but he joins the Irish contingent over there. London Irish me arse, Leicester Northampton and Exeter have far more of our boys.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭porterbelly

Pity the Irish management didn't see the Northampton contingent as 'Our' boys during the summer internationals. With the injury crisis in the back row it would have made sense to call on Neil Best and Roger Wilson and increase the options ahead of the world cup. James Downey should also have been given an opportunity. It would be good to have a crash bang wallop centre like Downey as an backup for the more skillfull Wallace and Darcy

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement