Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

toomevara wrote: »
    Munster team thread, not the Ireland fly half thread, nor a chance to rehash a very old, very tired debate. No more.

Sorry, wasn't paying attention. Thought I was in the summer tour thread.
    Can't understand why more Irish lads don't go abroad at this stage in their careers. Surely Stringer would pick up a nice wage package in the GP or even another ML side. Personally I'm happy he's staying as O Leary is anything but consistent at the moment. In reality Stringer starts most of the Magners games as O Leary is away a good bit on international duty.

Tax rebate? If they leave and get a career ending injury then they're a bit screwed. It's not like Stringer is in a poor position where he is anyway and he may simply want to stick it out with Munster. Going abroad would hardly help any aspirations he may have towards playing for Ireland again too. Players like Stringer are fairly important to the provinces, especially in a WC year when the frontliners will be out more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭shawpower

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Tax rebate? If they leave and get a career ending injury then they're a bit screwed. It's not like Stringer is in a poor position where he is anyway and he may simply want to stick it out with Munster. Going abroad would hardly help any aspirations he may have towards playing for Ireland again too. Players like Stringer are fairly important to the provinces, especially in a WC year when the frontliners will be out more.

You've hit the nail on the head.

From a monetary point of view, it doesn't make sense due to loss of tax rebate if he doesn't finish in Ireland.

From a RWC point of view, the facts are clear that anyone who goes over to England has a very very hard time getting in squads. Next year you'll see TOL getting rested more than this year, which opens to the door to Strings to get more gametime next year. I'd be amazed if he's not brought to the RWC, and his decision to stay at home is part of why he's a probable on the squad list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Quinlan to captain Baabaas?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,894 ✭✭✭✭phog

buck65 wrote: »
    Quinlan to captain Baabaas.

That rumour has been dispelled since they announced the team. Rush has been announced as captain.

Felix Jones training with the Irish squad these days good to see him back. If he takes the 15 jersey where to for Warwick? 12 or dare I say ....no I won't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Twin-go

buck65 wrote: »
    Felix Jones training with the Irish squad these days good to see him back. If he takes the 15 jersey where to for Warwick? 12 or dare I say ....no I won't.

There you go, said it for you!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Twin-go wrote: »
    There you go, said it for you!:D

If Jones does claim the 15 jersey, Warwick could also end up on the bench. Both himself & ROG will have to be in the 22.

Finding a replacement 10 is going to be a big issue fairly shortly. And I'm not too sure that Warwick will be the answer. I wouldn't be surprised if we got someone from the SH after the RWC.

I really hope we see some talent coming through from the Academy to fill the slot. I would be definitely have a positive outlook on this, there simply has to be someone who can do the business.

I wouldn't be surprised if Munster signed a 10 for a 2/3 year deal, but really really hope that they can blood someone to fill the boots. (Some ****ing pair of boots!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

I really hope we see some talent coming through from the Academy to fill the slot. I would be definitely have a positive outlook on this, there simply has to be someone who can do the business.

I wouldn't be surprised if Munster signed a 10 for a 2/3 year deal, but really really hope that they can blood someone to fill the boots. (Some ****ing pair of boots!)

Quinn-McDonagh and JJ Hanrahan have been included in next years Munster academy. Hanrahan is only about 17 and has big potential. He plays center or 10. Thats a big advantage to have because they're more likely to play him at 12 to give him experiance. Quinn-McDonagh plays for Irelands schools side and scored all their points in a 13-11 win over France this season.

I think the days of Ireland having only 1 or 2 decent outhalfs will soon be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

Young Canterbury TH has signed for Munster. This is possibly an IRFU sponsored punt at solving our national propping crisis, or at least providing options down the line. Not sure if he has actual family links to here, but he'll be entering his prime as a prop should he have to serve the years for residency anyway.

http://tvnz.co.nz/rugby-news/canterbury-prop-leaving-ireland-3583561

http://www.canterburyrugby.co.nz/profile/peter-borlase/65/player-details.aspx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭dromdrom

Anybody have any idea on whether he is Irish qualified?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Surprised at this, I always thought they would convert Ryan to TH after they signed Wian Du Preez.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭Jemo

anybody know if he can srcummage? :p

Surprised at this, I always thought they would convert Ryan to TH after they signed Wian Du Preez.

Even with Ryan we need cover at TH as Hayes if he stays around and Buckley will be away for most of the season as will Horan if he makes the Irish panel.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭outwest

i dont think horan will be going to wc but, it a great signing, hayes and buckley will play hcupp and the odd magners match this year.

if he is irish qaulified then it will be great for irish rugby.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 388 ✭✭redroar1942

Its not that easy to switch from 1 to 3 and Ryan for all his talent is seemingly made of glass.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

Its not that easy to switch from 1 to 3 and Ryan for all his talent is seemingly made of glass.

I'm hoping Ryan will stay fit and overtake Horan this season as 2nd choice LH tbh. Really impressed with him this season both in the loose and in the scrum.

Risteard wrote: »
    I'm hoping Ryan will stay fit and overtake Horan this season as 2nd choice LH tbh. Really impressed with him this season both in the loose and in the scrum.

Yeah he's got the potential all right. Its a pity he missed so much of the last couple of seasons through injury as he hasn't developed as quickly as he could have.

Never even heard of this Borlase lad but will try and watch the NPC this summer to see what he's made of. He should get game time with the Frank's away with the AB's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

At 25, he's not THAT young.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

25 is quite young for a prop imo. Cracking signing, very solid scrummager - with the signing of him and Du Preez in the space of a few weeks our scrum has gone from mediocre to strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

I hope he never plays for Ireland. If he did between him, Wilkinson and Court we could potentially field a 22 with no Irish props in it.

I hope he never plays for Ireland. If he did between him, Wilkinson and Court we could potentially field a 22 with no Irish props in it.

I rather field a the Michelen Man then John Hayes come the WC

I dont understand peoples aversion to non Irish born players playing for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭Risteard

I dont understand peoples aversion to non Irish born players playing for Ireland

I don't really like it tbh. I hope that Tim Ryan or another prop comes through or that Buckley might even come good. Unlikely but we won't know until he gets a good run of games.

The whole point of International rugby is that your players are representing your country. Fair enough if they have Irish parents or grandparents and really feel like they're Irish, but I think the residence should be changed to about 6 or 7 years instead of three. That way you'd have to have spent a long time in the country as opposed to doing a three year shift, getting capped and moving on.

Unless he has an Irish relative that's irrelevant. He'd be playing after the world cup. The players he'd be blocking are the likes of Hagan, Fitzpatrick, Andress, Ryan etc. This guy is has as much a chance of being a success as them. Why not spend resources developing our own players?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

I thought there was a Munster team talk thread for stuff like this ;)

Unless he has an Irish relative that's irrelevant. He'd be playing after the world cup. The players he'd be blocking are the likes of Hagan, Fitzpatrick, Andress, Ryan etc. This guy is has as much a chance of being a success as them. Why not spend resources developing our own players?

Why do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭Peter B

Zzippy wrote: »
    I thought there was a Munster team talk thread for stuff like this ;)

Kinda nice to find out news in a thread like this. Hate trawling through pages and pages of posts!

Why do you think?

Well from Munster's point of view Hayes is retiring soon, Buckley isn't up to it and the youngsters aren't quite ready.From a national perspective he's a potential Irish player. There's nothing wrong with Munster singing him but him playing for Ireland isn't on when there are other options. Guys who genuinely want to play for Ireland.

Well from Munster's point of view Hayes is retiring soon, Buckley isn't up to it and the youngsters aren't quite ready.From a national perspective he's a potential Irish player. There's nothing wrong with Munster singing him but him playing for Ireland isn't on when there are other options. Guys who genuinely want to play for Ireland.

But there isn't any one particular tighthead putting their hand up as a future TH a couple of maybes but no definites. A couple of the guys you mentioned as alternatives are already getting game time and are unaffected by this signing.

I think they're just being prudent in developing as many options as possible:
    Ulster:Fitzpatrick jr
    Connacht:Hagen
    Leinster:Maguire/McGrath
    Munster:Borlase/Archer

Hopefully we'll get one decent international out of that lot but the failure rate amongst young props is huge so its always best to plant as many seeds as possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7645.php

Academy Return to Action
    14 June 2010, 5:40 pm
    By Fiona Murphy

Pre-season has commenced for the Munster Rugby academy and sub academy players.

With the exclusion of the Ireland U20s representatives who are in action in the Junior World Cup in Argentina, 25 academy and sub academy players were in attendance today in the University of Limerick.

Today is the first day of a comprehensive two week preparation programme, after which the academy players will link up with the senior squad's pre-season training, commencing on June 28th.

The next two weeks will see all the players based in Limerick for week one and Cork for week two. Areas covered will include fitness testing; skill development; fitness, speed and strength development; team meetings; tutorials to include psychology, lifestyle management, video analysis and laws of the game.

Week two will culminate in a team bonding session with an overnight camp and hike up Carrauntuohil in Co. Kerry.

The two week programme is being facilitated by the Academy Strength and Conditioning coaches Feargal O’Callaghan and Paudie Roche, Elite Development Officers Ray Egan and Ken O’Connell, and aided by academy physios Damien Mordan and Colm Coakley.

Munster Rugby Academy Players 2010/11:
    Year 3: Kieran Essex, Conor Murray, Eoghan Grace, Paul Rowley

Year 2: Pa O’Regan, Mike Sherry, Brian O’Hara, Dave O’Callaghan

Year 1: Cathal Sheridan, Gareth Quinn McDonagh, Simon Zebo, Ronan O’Mahony, Luke O’Dea, JJ Hanrahan, Corey Hircock, David Kilcoyne, Alan Cotter, Sean Henry, Brian Hayes

*Andrew Burke released

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement