Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭phog

Looking at the fixtures anyone heading to Rome for the 6Ns game might also be able to take in the Treviso v Munster ML game.

I hope Munster get a better start to their ML campaign this year becasue they have a difficult end to the league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

;)Leinster v Munster in magners league likely to be in Lansdowne Rd in October according to the Examiner

buck65 wrote: »
    ;)Leinster v Munster in magners league likely to be in Lansdowne Rd in October according to the Examiner

Noooo, our D4tress!

Well, I suppose Lansdowne is still in D4, suits me :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭bamboozling

Crash wrote: »
    from http://www.magnersleague.com/news/5536.php

Who's Corey Hircock?

All I can find so far:

http://www.limerickleader.ie/sport/Munster-snap-up-services-of.6277601.jp

So Irish qualified, bit of a project player? Assume its a development contract.

His mother is Irish as far as I know. He plays outside centre and he's a very tasty player.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

quick question about Magner League Season Tickets:

Catergory A- €250
    Catergory B- €220
    Adult Terrace - €140
    Junior Terrace - €45
    the above are the season ticket prices.
    just wondering. are those prices for a single seat season ticket or for 2 seats??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭thefa

Yes it's only for a single seat/spot on the terrace. Got an east terrace season ticket a couple of seasons ago and i'd recommend it~bit of atmosphere and if you get in a little bit early you can be towards the back of it and near the halfway most of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

Leroy Lita wrote: »
    just wondering. are those prices for a single seat season ticket or for 2 seats??
    There are gonna be 7 games in Thomond Park this year, so there was a bit of a price increase, but those prices are just for one person. I bought the tickets for a group of 6 of us. The credit card took a major hit on that one ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

theKramer wrote: »
    There are gonna be 7 games in Thomond Park this year, so there was a bit of a price increase, but those prices are just for one person. I bought the tickets for a group of 6 of us. The credit card took a major hit on that one ;)

oh right, think i might just leave it. those prices are way too dear for my liking:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 103 ✭✭backrow67n8

Would the Adult terrace season ticket for E140 be any good? would that be for behind the goal? I ask cos theres terracing around the front of the stands?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,082 ✭✭✭✭phog

Would the Adult terrace season ticket for E140 be any good? would that be for behind the goal? I ask cos theres terracing around the front of the stands?

Best terrace is the East Terrace, then the West followed by the South & North.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Just saw on the SSN Ticker that Mick Galwey has come on board as a part-time squad advisor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Just saw on the SSN Ticker that Mick Galwey has come on board as a part-time squad advisor.

Other appointments -

Foley is Assistant Coach with responsibility for Defence & Head Coach of B+I Team.

Paul McCarthy is the new full-time Scrum Coach (with additional responsibility for identifying and developing front row talent to feed into the Munster professional set-up).

Colm Coakley is also an additional physio being brought in.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7723.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Quinlan won't play as much this season. I reckon he'll be used more as a sub as the management try to inject a bit of youth into the team. Hopefully Tommy O'Donnell will step up this season. I havn't seen much of TOD and from what I have seen he never stood out but they left Grace go to Exeter so the coaches see something in TOD. Butler needs to bulk up too and I think he'll get a few ML games this season. POM will get a good few games hopefully.

There will be oppertunities from some of the younger players because of injury and international call ups etc. One player who has a great opportunity to impress is Donnacha Ryan. He has the talent and just needs a run of games now.

Its make or break season for Fogarty. If his throwing is as terrible as last season I can't see much of a future for him. In fact hes probably got more chances than he should. Mike Sherry looks a good prospect.

Deasy and Felix Jones could also kick on this season. Cusack might come good but he's probably a squad player.

profitius wrote: »
    Quinlan won't play as much this season. I reckon he'll be used more as a sub as the management try to inject a bit of youth into the team. Hopefully Tommy O'Donnell will step up this season. I havn't seen much of TOD and from what I have seen he never stood out but they left Grace go to Exeter so the coaches see something in TOD. Butler needs to bulk up too and I think he'll get a few ML games this season. POM will get a good few games hopefully.

There will be oppertunities from some of the younger players because of injury and international call ups etc. One player who has a great opportunity to impress is Donnacha Ryan. He has the talent and just needs a run of games now.

Its make or break season for Fogarty. If his throwing is as terrible as last season I can't see much of a future for him. In fact hes probably got more chances than he should. Mike Sherry looks a good prospect.

Deasy and Felix Jones could also kick on this season. Cusack might come good but he's probably a squad player.

Not sure about Quinlan, he was our best player last season.

Fogarty deserves another season but as you say it should be his last chance. Denis Hurley had a horrible 08/09 but came good last season. Let's hope the same for Fogarty, if he gets a chance in pre-season he'll have to take it because I'd say Varley is ahead of him now.

Cusack's chances depends if Deasy is used as a backup 10. On Deasy, he really only got a run in the team because of Jones' injury. He (along with Tom Gleeson) might get a run at centre (his preferred position IIRC) as Mafi is definitely out for a while after shoulder surgery and Earls might be cautiously drip fed back after his groin problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Denis Hurley could be a quality winger imo if he gets one or two things sorted. He's quick and strong and has a good eye for the tryline.

Yeah, it's a big season for Ryan. He was really unfortunate to dislocate his shoulder last season, in hindsight he would have made a lot of appearances in the absence of POC.

Fogarty deserves one more season to prove he's up to it although having said that he did get waaaay too many opportunities last season. In fairness, a lot of people at one stage (including myself) said Denis Hurley should never play for Munster again but he recovered after his bad patch. Let's hope the same goes for Fogarty. He'll get a start in pre-season I'd say, that's his chance.

Cusack's chances depend if Deasy is used as a backup 10. Deasy only got a prolonged in the team when Jones got injured. He'll probably get a run at centre (his preferred position IIRC) as Mafi is out for a while after shoulder surgery and Earls will likely be cautiously drip fed back into action after his groin problems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Re Fogarty, I really felt that we should have unloaded him in the offseason but with the real emergence of Varley I'm not too bothered that he is still there. He is third choice hooker now even if it did take McGahan six months to realise that Varley is a better all round hooker.
    Don't get me wrong Fogarty is a hard worker , fantastic in the loose and has pace to boot but if a hooker consistently misses his man in the lineout he is a liability. Hopefully he can correct this.

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7775.php

Denis Leamy, Donnacha Ryan, Ian Dowling as well as squad newcomers Wian du Preez and Sam Tuitupou are all included in the Munster squad for Friday's seasonal opener against Leicester Tigers in Musgrave Park (7pm).

Leamy has been out of action since undergoing a knee operation in the aftermath of his impressive display against Perpignan in December while Ryan has been out since February following a shoulder operation and Dowling missed the last games of the season with a knee injury.

All three are in La Manga coming to the end of a week long training camp - they are scheduled to return home tomorrow - that according to coach Tony McGahan has proved hugely beneficial. " In terms of preparation, the facility here in La Manga has been excellent and we've managed to get in quality core rugby work along with valuable organisational matters." he said today speaking during a break in training."

McGahan named a 26 strong squad for the opening pre-season friendly saying, " Leicester Tigers on Friday and Gloucester provides us with the ideal opponents ahead of the competitive start to the season."

"The game against Leicester on Friday will see the return to action of players such as Donnacha Ryan, Denis Leamy and Ian Dowling who missed large parts of last season through injury. We would also expect to see newcomers Sam Tuitupou and Wian du Preez continue their integration into the squad while the opportunity will also arise to expose some of the young talent coming through to top class opposition."

That young talent that McGahan mentions includes among others, Ian Nagle, Dave Foley, Dave Ryan, Mike Sherry, Peter O'Mahony who impressed in the British & Irish Cup campaign last season, Ireland Under 20 World Cup players Paddy Butler and Simon Zebo and Academy newcomer Corey Hircock recently arrived from Bedford.
    Munster v Leicester Tigers, Friday 20th August, Musgrave Park, ko 7pm -

Tickets on sale here.

Munster Squad: Denis Hurley, Felix Jones, Ian Dowling, Danny Barnes, Simon Zebo, Scott Deasy, Sam Tuitupou, Corey Hircock, Paul Warwick, Duncan Williams, Conor Murray, Wian du Preez, Dave Ryan, Stephen Archer, Darragh Hurley, Mike Sherry, Denis Fogarty, Billy Holland, Dave Foley, Ian Nagle, Donnacha Ryan, Paddy Butler, Tommy O'Donnell, Peter O'Mahony, James Coughlan, Denis Leamy.

No summer tourists available as expected.

Delighted to see Leamy and Jones back fit. Let's hope they get through it OK.

I wonder about Barry Murphy's future, he's not in the squad. :(

So what would be a possible starting 15?

1 - WDP
    2 - Dennis Fogarty
    3 - Dave Ryan
    4 - Donnacha Ryan
    5 - ?
    6 - Leamy
    7 - Peter O'Mahoney
    8 - Coughlan
    9 - ?
    10 - Warwick
    11 - Zebo/Dowling
    12 - Tuitupuo
    13 - ?
    14 - Dennis Hurley
    15 - Felix Jones

Does Fogartys inclusion in this squad mean that he has been leapfrogged by Varley? Hope so. Although, if Fogs could get his throwing sorted, he would be class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

buck65 wrote: »
    Re Fogarty, I really felt that we should have unloaded him in the offseason but with the real emergence of Varley I'm not too bothered that he is still there. He is third choice hooker now even if it did take McGahan six months to realise that Varley is a better all round hooker.
    Don't get me wrong Fogarty is a hard worker , fantastic in the loose and has pace to boot but if a hooker consistently misses his man in the lineout he is a liability. Hopefully he can correct this.

I don't rate his chances of success but you can see why its so hard for McGahan to dump him. If he could even get his throwing to 80% he'd be the starting hooker on the next Lions tour. The rest of his game is dynamite but unfortunately he's a confidence player and it seems to drain out of him when he's continually hitting the scrum half in the head at lineouts.

• Advertisement

I wonder about Barry Murphy's future, he's not in the squad. :(

His career is finished. How many times have he played for Munster per season on average? Very little I'd say. It's unfortunate because he's a talented player but he's very injury prone.

I don't rate his chances of success but you can see why its so hard for McGahan to dump him. If he could even get his throwing to 80% he'd be the starting hooker on the next Lions tour. The rest of his game is dynamite but unfortunately he's a confidence player and it seems to drain out of him when he's continually hitting the scrum half in the head at lineouts.

I remember seeing Forgarty in the last match of the 08/09 season and he looked dynamite in that game. Overall even if he did get his throwing right he'd still wouldn't be in Cronins class as a player. Mike Sherry looks a good prospect too.

I remember seeing Forgarty in the last match of the 08/09 season and he looked dynamite in that game. Overall even if he did get his throwing right he'd still wouldn't be in Cronins class as a player. Mike Sherry looks a good prospect too.

The Westies will kill me for saying it but Cronin is so far lacking a lot in tight play. He's hands down a better the Fogarty right now but Forgarty is ahead in every department other then throwing(maybe neck and neck in the loose but Cronin does far more lurking out in the backs then Fogarty)

Just my onion though ;)

unfortunately he's a confidence player and it seems to drain out of him when he's continually hitting the scrum half in the head at lineouts.
    Hahaha :D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

So what would be a possible starting 15?

1 - WDP
    2 - Dennis Fogarty
    3 - Dave Ryan
    4 - Donnacha Ryan
    5 - ?
    6 - Leamy
    7 - Peter O'Mahoney
    8 - Coughlan
    9 - ?
    10 - Warwick
    11 - Zebo/Dowling
    12 - Tuitupuo
    13 - ?
    14 - Dennis Hurley
    15 - Felix Jones

Does Fogartys inclusion in this squad mean that he has been leapfrogged by Varley? Hope so. Although, if Fogs could get his throwing sorted, he would be class.

1.Wian Du Preez
    2.Fogarty
    3.Dave Hurley
    4.Donnacha Ryan
    5. Ian Nagle
    6.Leamy
    7.Holland
    8.Coughlan
    9.Duncan Williams
    10.Warwick
    11.Dowling
    12.Deasy
    13.Tuitupo
    14.Hurley
    15.Jones

is my guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

His career is finished. How many times have he played for Munster per season on average? Very little I'd say. It's unfortunate because he's a talented player but he's very injury prone.

He's back nearing fitness afaik. I'd keep him if we can, he's a good squad player.

He's back nearing fitness afaik. I'd keep him if we can, he's a good squad player.

He's hands are poor for an outside centre, the rest of his game is decent though. Easily good enough for the ML.

No summer tourist is involved in the preseason games, Varley got capped against Australia. That's why he's absent. So you can't say for sure that he has leapfrogged Fogarty. Although on form that should be case.

As other posters have said, Fogarty would be a great player if/when he gets his throwing right. A really good player.

Like I said above, Hurley had a bad year and got over it. The management probably feel they should back Fogarty for another season at least.

If the internationals aren't back until around the Leinster match, these next two games are huge for the likes of Nagle, Butler and Deasy to puts their hands up for the start of the ML.

TheTMO wrote: »
    1.Wian Du Preez
    2.Fogarty
    3.Dave Hurley
    4.Donnacha Ryan
    5. Ian Nagle
    6.Leamy
    7.Holland
    8.Coughlan
    9.Duncan Williams
    10.Warwick
    11.Dowling
    12.Deasy
    13.Tuitupo
    14.Hurley
    15.Jones

is my guess.
    I presume you mean Darragh Hurley at 3? Was it Dave Ryan that was injured all last year?

Also, regarding Holland, is he not a 4/6 thereby making it unlikely he will be at 7?

At least it looks like they are actively looking at the up and coming guys with this squad, by leaving out guys like Stringer and Quinlan. I'll wait and see though when crunch time comes and he has to make a decision between an under performing established player and a younger guy that is playing out of his skin.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,436 ✭✭✭bugler

It was Darragh Hurley who was injured for much of last year. Though Dave Ryan had some time out too. Darragh is a LH primarily, but photos from Munter training this summer have shown him packing at TH with Dave Ryan at LH, so it seems there was an effort to convert him.

It will be interesting to see...as the Tigers will be able to scrummage, and Munster have only one natural TH in the squad, Archer, who is a rookie. Everyone else is a LH who tries to cover across.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement