Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭GisforGrenade

Don't pay any attention to Munsterfans, the place is rife with rumours planted by player's agents and family members simply trying to force a better deal for their player.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Paddy Butler has been given a development contract: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7590.php

• Registered Users Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

Paddy Butler has been given a development contract: http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/7590.php

so he bypassed the academy? Impressive. He id still very small for a no. 8 tho

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭theKramer

chupacabra wrote: »
    His profile says hes 97Kg, which is very light for an 8. He'll probably have to put on another 7 - 10KG to be competitive in the ML.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

theKramer wrote: »
    His profile says hes 97Kg, which is very light for an 8. He'll probably have to put on another 7 - 10KG to be competitive in the ML.

When I saw him playing in the U20 six nations there was a noticable different between him, Rhys Ruddock and Dominic Ryan. The 2 Leinster lads were far more developed. Having said that Butler was the best backrower playing. He's about 6ft 2 or 6ft 3" tall which is about Heaslip/Leamy height.

He has good pace and power, he's great handling was used in the lineouts alot and he is aggressive. He'll be a regular for Munster after next season, I reckon.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 403 ✭✭TheTMO

chupacabra wrote: »

Hes been in the academy for a year now. Hes an incredible player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭2040

TheTMO wrote: »
    Hes been in the academy for a year now. Hes an incredible player.

I think he was sub academy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 paryan

2040 wrote: »
    I think he was sub academy.

whats his club

paryan wrote: »
    whats his club

Shannon. He's play regulary for Shannon this season.

profitius wrote: »
    Shannon. He's play regulary for Shannon this season.
    Hes been the starting Nr 8 for Shannon this year. Remember reading that during the U20's 6N

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

He's a unreal prospect who will no doubt make the international grade some day.

Id say post WC, we'll see Leamy at 6, Butler at 8, and someone else at 7 (probably Ryan) at some stage in Magners League games...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

theKramer wrote: »
    Id say post WC, we'll see Leamy at 6, Butler at 8, and someone else at 7 (probably Ryan) at some stage in Magners League games...

If Leamy isn't retired by then. The injuries seem to be getting worse and more frequent.

If Leamy isn't retired by then. The injuries seem to be getting worse and more frequent.

Yeah its looking bad. The only consolation for him being injured is it gives the rest of his body plenty of time to recover.
    the Kramer wrote:
    Id say post WC, we'll see Leamy at 6, Butler at 8, and someone else at 7 (probably Ryan) at some stage in Magners League games.

Peter O'Mahony 7, Leamy 6, Butler 8. Watch out for Dave O'Callaghan too. He's a certainty to make it too and I've heard O'Hara (7) is supposed to be an excellent talent too.

Dave O'Callaghan is a class act, some great talent coming through the ranks down there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Dave O'Callaghan is a class act, some great talent coming through the ranks down there!

Makes sense, it's about 10 or so years since the Munster team really got going in Europe, all the kids who started following rugby then would be playing senior cup around now. It's also interesting that a lot of the best talent is coming from non-traditional rugby areas, three Kerrymen in the Academy, good few Tipperary lads, etc. Hopefully we're about to see the break-through of a new generation of talent.

Makes sense, it's about 10 or so years since the Munster team really got going in Europe, all the kids who started following rugby then would be playing senior cup around now. It's also interesting that a lot of the best talent is coming from non-traditional rugby areas, three Kerrymen in the Academy, good few Tipperary lads, etc. Hopefully we're about to see the break-through of a new generation of talent.

Scouting the clubs for talent is the next step. No matter where the players are from the vast majority in Irish academies are playing for school teams.

You're right about the Munster effect on kids. The game is growing in non traditional areas with development officers helping. Theres about 400 kids training with Waterpark youth section. Waterpark is winning underage trophies against more traditionally stronger clubs and its surely a matter of time before we'll have Waterford players playing for Munster.

If the IRFU can get the game to grow into non traditional areas it'll help Ireland become a true force in world rugby.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭Junior

profitius wrote: »
    You're right about the Munster effect on kids. The game is growing in non traditional areas with development officers helping. Theres about 400 kids training with Waterpark youth section. Waterpark is winning underage trophies against more traditionally stronger clubs and its surely a matter of time before we'll have Waterford players playing for Munster.

We've already had three Waterford Men play for Munster ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Mail on Sunday: I'M NOT GIVING UP THE FIGHT YET
    By Liam Heagney

PETER STRINGER'S fine career isn't quite what it used to be. Thirty-
    three next December, he's no longer the automatic first- choice scrum-
    half for Ireland and Munster. His Test career has stalled. He hasn't
    featured in a year. And it's a similar tale of inactivity at Munster.
    Heineken Cup starts are rare - but he hasn't been forgotten.

Despite not seeing that much of Stringer this season, Declan Kidney
    still wants a piece. Of the original squad chosen for Ireland's June
    series, only Rory Best and Jerry Flannery had seen less action.
    However, while they can point to serious injury (and suspension in
    Flannery's case) as reasons for limited use, Stringer has largely been
    left straining at the leash on the sidelines, craving exposure.

'I want to be playing all the time. It's something I still have a
    massive appetite for, both for Munster and Ireland,' he says, adding
    that on the days after provincial games in which he only gets 10 or so
    minutes off the bench, you'll find him doing fitness work or in the
    gym when those who started have time off.

'It's something I still have in my sights - I want to be back playing
    regularly where I was before. I'm as fit as I have ever been and I try
    to keep that sharpness so that when I do get to play a game I'm ready
    to go.' Life changed remarkably for scrum-half Stringer on that
    infamous 2007 night in Bordeaux.

He threw the intercept pass that handed Georgia their try and left the
    minnows within a whisker of causing the greatest World Cup upset ever.
    Despite years of planning for that finals campaign, he was dramatically dropped by Eddie O'Sullivan who gave an inexperienced Eoin Reddan only his second Ireland start the following week against
    France.

THAT was September and if Stringer thought he'd at least have Munster
    to fall back on, he was mistaken. That previously blissful
    relationship was also to take a dramatic turn for the worse, Kidney
    handing the jersey to Tomas O'Leary for a European quarter-final at
    Gloucester.

Coping with all the sudden upheaval can't have been easy. Stringer,
    though, had no option but to get on with it. Sympathy is scarce in the
    dressing room. 'I wouldn't have seen them [the omissions] coming,' he
    admits.

'It's a while ago now but it has been difficult. The last couple of
    seasons have been tough. It was a massive shock at the start, having
    played so often and regularly. But I have put that behind me. I've
    adapted without becoming comfortable.

'You have no option but to just get on with things. No squad is going
    to wait. Things move on. If you wallow in self-pity you'll certainly
    be left behind. You've no option but to get your head up and start
    working even harder than before.

'Ask anyone who sits on a bench, it's not an easy thing to do. You
    watch the game and see if you do get a run where you can make a
    difference. You're looking at it from a different perspective and it's
    tough, but when you do get an opportunity you try and make the most of
    it.

'At times you come on and feel you've to get everything spot on.
    You've to try and fit everything into 10 minutes and impress, which
    sometimes doesn't work, but more often you try and make an impact as
    best you can, make a difference for whatever length of time you do get
    on. 'On the sideline you become a lot more tuned into where space is
    because on the pitch that's the tough part - trying to do it under
    pressure, trying to do it when you're making calls and in the heat of
    the battle. When I'm on the bench I make use of every second.

'If there's anything you can add at half-time that will make it easier
    for guys, you speak up and make yourself heard. There may be room for
    improvement, identifying where space may be, so you bring that to the
    game to make a difference.

'It has been difficult not starting but I have got my head around it
    without being too comfortable. I still want to get back to where I
    was.' THAT'S not to say there haven't been highlights since his world
    was turned upside down. He had a massive role in Ireland's Grand Slam,
    setting up a crucial try for Jamie Heaslip in Scotland and then giving
    Ronan O'Gara that pass to fire over the clinching drop goal in Wales a
    week later. And no one can forget Stringer's ballsy effort in nearly
    inspiring a weakened Munster to beat the touring All Blacks in 2008.
    'It's nice because they are reminders.

When you find yourself not playing as regularly as you'd like, there
    are sometimes doubts in your head and reminders like that - and
    previous achievements - come to the fore and really drive you home.

'My motivation certainly hasn't faded or diminished in any respect. If
    anything, it's driven me harder to get back to where I was because I
    look after my health and fitness.

'Everything like that isn't an issue.

Mentally when guys get older the question of when to call it a day may
    creep in but there are a good few years left in me yet. I feel that
    physically and mentally. It's something I'm looking forward to - to
    giving it a go and getting back to where I was.' His belief that this
    aim is feasible is illustrated in his decision to sign for two more
    years with Munster. Out of contract at the end of this season, he
    could have decided enough was enough and opted to chase more regular
    game-time elsewhere.

He is one of the players to lose out in the IRFU's reduction of
    national team contracts to 21 and was in demand abroad, but he has chosen to keep fighting his battle for greater recognition from home in Cork, the long-term ambition being to make Kidney's 2011 World Cup squad.

'I've signed on, so that's that. I'm happy. Contract negotiations are
    a stressful time. You're trying to sort out your life but now that
    it's done it's just a matter of getting on with it and looking forward
    to the next two years - and hopefully more after it.

'It's great to have signed again...

and it's a massive goal to get back to a World Cup. I'd love to be
    part of it. I'll keep striving for those little goals, keep working
    hard. If they come about, brilliant.' Sounds like he's keen to
    impress.

Peter Stringer -before and after Played 79 of 88 Ireland matches on
    making his Test debut in 2000 (75 as the starting No9) He then earned
    just 12 caps since his dramatic axing from the team at the 2007 World
    Mail on Sunday: I'M NOT GIVING UP THE FIGHT YET ; Stringer looks to shine after signing 91) ™
    Cup, just four of them starts, the last a year ago against USA
    Featured in 74 out of a possible 77 Heineken Cup games for Munster (73
    appearances as a starter) Has started just two of Munster's 19
    European games since his surprise omission for 2008 quarter-final at
    Gloucester, making do with nine other runs off the bench

Originally published by By Liam Heagney.

(c) 2010 Mail on Sunday; London (UK). Provided by ProQuest LLC.

Fair play to him for sticking around. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,721 ✭✭✭Otacon

Fair play to him for sticking around. :)

I still feel Stringer offers better options off the bench for Ireland. Reddan, Boss and TOL are all very similar but Stringer still provides that change of style that could open up a dead-locked game.

Hope he shows us more of this in the next year.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Great piece - thanks for posting. Another for my pyjama locker I suspect. Peter Stringer has long been written off by many but I think his passing is far superior to that of TOL, Reddan and Boss. TOL and Reddan particularly could almost send a letter announcing their intentions they are so slow at clearing out the ball. Great to see him still in fighting form. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

I cannot understand why he's sticking around in Ireland, unless for personal reasons. Professionally I was sure he'd hit the road to England. He's got buckets to offer and there are any number of GP clubs who'd give him regular, first team rugby which he could use to up his profile.

As it stands he's looking at less and less first team rugby and being relegated to the role of occasional impact player/ injury stand-in. Perhaps thats the plan and he's happy with that, winding the career down/heading for a coaching role etc... which of course is his decision, but I'm sure he's got another 2-3 years at the top level, the guy's a consummate professional. No doubt the likes of say, Leeds and Neil Back would love to have him at 9...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Can't understand why more Irish lads don't go abroad at this stage in their careers. Surely Stringer would pick up a nice wage package in the GP or even another ML side. Personally I'm happy he's staying as O Leary is anything but consistent at the moment. In reality Stringer starts most of the Magners games as O Leary is away a good bit on international duty.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Ciaran-Irl

Otacon wrote: »
    I still feel Stringer offers better options off the bench for Ireland. Reddan, Boss and TOL are all very similar but Stringer still provides that change of style that could open up a dead-locked game.

Hope he shows us more of this in the next year.

Agree with that - he offers something different - for the same reason I don't think ROG should ever be on the bench. He should either start or not make the 22, and sentiment cannot enter into the equation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

Ciaran-Irl wrote: »
    Agree with that - he offers something different - for the same reason I don't think ROG should ever be on the bench. He should either start or not make the 22, and sentiment cannot enter into the equation.

I agree sentiment shouldn't enter it, but have you blanked out of your mind the 6Ns & recent games that Sexton has had? There is no way Kidney will be starting Sexton without O'Gara there to bring on. And added to that Sexton is injury prone.

I agree sentiment shouldn't enter it, but have you blanked out of your mind the 6Ns & recent games that Sexton has had? There is no way Kidney will be starting Sexton without O'Gara there to bring on. And added to that Sexton is injury prone.

He's had two injuries in several years. He's not prone to injuries at all. I don't know where this is coming from.

I think both will be used extensively throughout the summer tour, O'Gara is nowhere near done yet!

I personally think Stringer is woefully underused by the Irish management, his gamestyle is absolutely perfect to be used as a sub, throwing him on for the last 15 minutes to chase a game when we've got a team on the ropes (which seems to be the case for all Irish teams, rarely carry a lead into the last third of a game!). At that stage of a game, the ball needs to leave the rucks and mauls the second it appears, and Stringer is still #1 in Ireland at that.

I also think that his decision to stay with Munster is made easier by the roots he has there, don't forget, he's been playing with Munster and O'Gara since he was a youngfella! It makes sense to stay at home, the alternative is 2/3 years in a foreign country before returning home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭thehighground

He's had two injuries in several years. He's not prone to injuries at all. I don't know where this is coming from.

I seem to remember him missing out through injury when he got a call up to AIs squad when Kidney first became Ireland coach. He then lost form and was out of favour in Leinster when Kidney picked him ahead of Humphreys & Keatley for Ireland A game in 6Ns.

Sexton's form isn't good at the moment and with the absence of so many front liners like POC, Ferris, Leamy, front row problems they will need an experienced head who can try and control the game and kick the points at least.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,836 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

I seem to remember him missing out through injury when he got a call up to AIs squad when Kidney first became Ireland coach. He then lost form and was out of favour in Leinster when Kidney picked him ahead of Humphreys & Keatley for Ireland A game in 6Ns.

Broke his thumb a couple of years ago which kept him out of Ireland squads. I wouldn't exactly go calling him injury prone just yet but I imagine he'll find himself injured more often than O'Gara did simply from the way he plays the game.
    Sexton's form isn't good at the moment and with the absence of so many front liners like POC, Ferris, Leamy, front row problems they will need an experienced head who can try and control the game and kick the points at least.

His form is fine and short of another kicking disaster I don't expect to see O'Gara getting any meaningful game time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Broke his thumb a couple of years ago which kept him out of Ireland squads. I wouldn't exactly go calling him injury prone just yet but I imagine he'll find himself injured more often than O'Gara did simply from the way he plays the game.

His form is fine and short of another kicking disaster I don't expect to see O'Gara getting any meaningful game time.

Hopefully not, I'm not happy about the tour squad already especially with Niall Ronan selected but it really will be time for despair if ROG starts the tests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭toomevara

Munster team thread, not the Ireland fly half thread, nor a chance to rehash a very old, very tired debate. No more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement