Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Week two of Munster's pre-season continued in UL today and included the likes of newcomers James Downey, Sean Dougall and Casey Lualala.
    Also making a welcome return to field training was Doug Howlett who missed most of last season after sustaining an achilles injury

Players In

... Sean Dougall (Flanker from Rotherham Titans; James Downey (Centre from Northampton Saints); Casey Laulala (Centre from Cardiff Blues); CJ Stander (Flanker from the Bulls (SA).

Christy Condon (Prop from Dolphin RFC); Barry O'Mahony (flanker from Clontarf RFC) both on first time contracts
    Alan Cotter (Prop); JJ Hanrahan (Centre); Luke O'Dea (Full back); Dave O'Callaghan (Back row); Cathal Sheridan (scrum-half) have all being promoted from the Munster Academy to Development contracts.

Players Out

Lifeimi Mafi (Perpignan); Tomas O'Leary (London Irish), Denis Fogarty (Aurillac); Mick O'Driscoll (retired); David Wallace (retired), Denis Leamy (retired); Jerry Flannery (retired), John Hayes (retired);
    Darragh Hurley* (retired); Tom Gleeson (released); Declan Cusack (released); Peter Borlase (released)
    Will Chambers Melbourne Storm & Save Tokula were both included in the squad last season on short term contracts and returned home when those contracts expired.

Great to read Dougie is back training, hopefully he'll be available for the pre-season games.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Great to read Dougie is back training, hopefully he'll be available for the pre-season games.

Great news about Dougie. Its interesting to see that Hanrahan and LOD are listed as centre and fullback respectively. Any idea why there is an asterisk beside Da Hurley?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Good news about Dougie.

Actually, what's the story with Penney?? Has he actually come over and taken charge yet, or when is he expected to?

He was with the NZ U-20s, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Good news about Dougie.

Actually, what's the story with Penney?? Has he actually come over and taken charge yet, or when is he expected to?

Penneys not meant to start until mid july

http://www.irishrugby.ie/news/26424.php

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

We have lost so much experience comparing to the kids we're bringing in. Massive step needed from everyone.

I'm glad to see BOM there, maybe he can't match his AIL form but a guy going so well in the AIL should have an avenue into the pro game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭bamboozle

We have lost so much experience comparing to the kids we're bringing in. Massive step needed from everyone.

I'm glad to see BOM there, maybe he can't match his AIL form but a guy going so well in the AIL should have an avenue into the pro game.

well it worked with Coughlan...

dont be surprised if Condon catches Penny's eye. He's spent the last 3 seasons at dolphin mullering opposition scrums.

Having watched Barry for the last 2 season's at Clontarf he's got everything to step up....but will need to add the guts of a stone as he's very light. Fastest back-rower in Irish rugby dare i say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

What age is Condon? I know he's no spring chicken, but is he young enough that he could still break through?

ed7890 wrote: »
    What age is Condon? I know he's no spring chicken, but is he young enough that he could still break through?

i'd guess he's late 20's, not much milage on his clock though. think he was on a development deal last year as WC cover. like i said, at AIL level he's worth a penalty try a game and a shed load of penaltys to dolphin through his scrummaging.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

bamboozle wrote: »
    ed7890 wrote: »

i'd guess he's late 20's, not much milage on his clock though. think he was on a development deal last year as WC cover. like i said, at AIL level he's worth a penalty try a game and a shed load of penaltys to dolphin through his scrummaging.
    He'll be 32 in October I think

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭dtpc191991

Just a question seen as TOL has gone to England who will be Murray's cover at SH?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭twinytwo

dtpc191991 wrote: »
    Just a question seen as TOL has gone to England who will be Murray's cover at SH?

munster gave stringer a year extension

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

twinytwo wrote: »

munster gave stringer a year extension
    Duncan Williams is there as well, he's got a 2 year extension

Stringer and Duncan Williams. Cathal Sheridan got a development contract as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Good news about Dougie.

Hes coming this weekend according to the Limerick post.

http://www.limerickpost.ie/index.php/navigation-mainmenu-30/dropline-menu-mainmenu-34/4698-munster-rugby-finalise-squads-for-201213.html

"MUNSTER rugby's squad for the new season is finally taking shape. New head coach Rob Penney is not in town until this weekend, "

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭phog

From Irishrugby.ie
    MUNSTER 2012/13 SQUAD (47 Players):

Props: BJ Botha, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Stephen Archer, Marcus Horan, Wian du Preez, Christy Condon, Alan Cotter.

Hookers: Damien Varley, Mike Sherry, Sean Henry.

Locks: Donnacha Ryan, Paul O'Connell, Donncha O'Callaghan, Ian Nagle, Dave Foley.

Back rowers: Paddy Butler, Sean Dougall, Billy Holland, Peter O'Mahony, Niall Ronan, James Coughlan, Tommy O'Donnell, Dave O'Callaghan, CJ Stander, Barry O'Mahony.

Half-backs: Peter Stringer, Conor Murray, Duncan Williams, Cathal Sheridan, Ronan O'Gara, Ian Keatley.

Centres/Wingers: Casey Laulala, James Downey, Danny Barnes, Scott Deasy, JJ Hanrahan, Troy Smith, Ivan Dineen, Keith Earls, Doug Howlett, Simon Zebo, Johne Murphy.

Full-backs: Felix Jones, Denis Hurley, Sean Scanlon, Luke O'Dea.

I see Troy Smith is included, as he was out for the full season last year I thought he may lose out on his contract but he seems to have got an extension.

It's interesting how they list Deasy as a centre/wing and LOD as a fullback.

For the first few Rabo games, I'd like to see:

du Preez, Sherry, Botha, POC*, Nagle, DOC2.0, Ronan, Coughlan;
    Williams*, Keatley, LOD, JJ/Downey, Laulala, Dougie, Hurley

*POC will need the gametime.

*I don't really rate Williams but he needs the exposure, we know what we get from Stringer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

It's interesting how they list Deasy as a centre/wing and LOD as a fullback.

For the first few Rabo games, I'd like to see:

du Preez, Sherry, Botha, POC*, Nagle, DOC2.0, Ronan, Coughlan;
    Williams*, Keatley, LOD, JJ/Downey, Laulala, Dougie, Hurley

*POC will need the gametime.

*I don't really rate Williams but he needs the exposure, we know what we get from Stringer.

Sherry toured with Ireland so he's out for the first few weeks. POC and Nagle are both injured so i guess they'll be a few weeks late too.

I think it's too soon to decide the forwards, we've just no idea what guys like BOM, Butler, Dougall and DOCv2.0 will bring this season. I think Brian Hayes and Foley would be a decent pairing in the second row but equally Holland could get a run there. We've a massive squad which will hopefully mean massive competition for places.

It'll be interesting to see how the new management rate a guy like Hayes against Holland or O'Dea against Murphy.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭touts

phog wrote: »
    MUNSTER 2012/13 SQUAD (47 Players):

Props: BJ Botha, Dave Kilcoyne, John Ryan, Stephen Archer, Marcus Horan, Wian du Preez, Christy Condon, Alan Cotter.

Hookers: Damien Varley, Mike Sherry, Sean Henry.

Locks: Donnacha Ryan, Paul O'Connell, Donncha O'Callaghan, Ian Nagle, Dave Foley.

Back rowers: Paddy Butler, Sean Dougall, Billy Holland, Peter O'Mahony, Niall Ronan, James Coughlan, Tommy O'Donnell, Dave O'Callaghan, CJ Stander, Barry O'Mahony.

Half-backs: Peter Stringer, Conor Murray, Duncan Williams, Cathal Sheridan, Ronan O'Gara, Ian Keatley.

Centres/Wingers: Casey Laulala, James Downey, Danny Barnes, Scott Deasy, JJ Hanrahan, Troy Smith, Ivan Dineen, Keith Earls, Doug Howlett, Simon Zebo, Johne Murphy.

Full-backs: Felix Jones, Denis Hurley, Sean Scanlon, Luke O'Dea.

When the international players are unavailable we will have just Ian Nagel & Dave Foley at lock and Varley & Henry at hooker? We're tempting the injury fates a bit aren't we. And lets face it those same fates have been using Munster as their toilet for a couple of years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Slightly surprised to see the size of Munster's squad. 47 players is a whopper squad. I suppose the retirement of some more senior players has freed up some cash that can be spread between more young players. I can see a few players not playing a huge amount of rugby though. 10 back row players with only 1 that will be on international duty. Hope I'm wrong as I'd like to see DOC2 get significant games this season and really push on.

Sherry toured with Ireland so he's out for the first few weeks. POC and Nagle are both injured so i guess they'll be a few weeks late too.

I think it's too soon to decide the forwards, we've just no idea what guys like BOM, Butler, Dougall and DOCv2.0 will bring this season. I think Brian Hayes and Foley would be a decent pairing in the second row but equally Holland could get a run there. We've a massive squad which will hopefully mean massive competition for places.

It'll be interesting to see how the new management rate a guy like Hayes against Holland or O'Dea against Murphy.

Even though he played 0 minutes? Such a terrible rule if that's the case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

Even though he played 0 minutes? Such a terrible rule if that's the case.

not really. Every player deserves to have some sort of a summer break for recuperation. Just cause he didn't play doesn't mean he wasn't training.

not really. Every player deserves to have some sort of a summer break for recuperation. Just cause he didn't play doesn't mean he wasn't training.

Treated the exact same as a player who played all 3 full blooded tests? (Donnacha Ryan).

Player Welfare / Playing Time shouldn't be a black/white issue.

Treated the exact same as a player who played all 3 full blooded tests? (Donnacha Ryan).

Probably not but they would still need 80-90% of the same time off as someone who played 3 tests. The body needs rest if you don't provide it players won't be capable of performing to the maximum

No but if you don't provide a player with time off it becomes a legal issue as it would break labour laws

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

No but if you don't provide a player with time off it becomes a legal issue as it would break labour laws

But it's not 'time off', the internationals will still be training with their provinces and going to Ireland camp in September, no? And I would have thought that Sherry needs game time far more than he needs training camp.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

It's not generally. Most seasons have seen those who have not been involved to the same extent released back to their sides ahead of the 10 week rest period. Even some of the front liners have made appearances ahead of schedule. I think Heaslip has been playing ahead of schedule on several occasions as they play it by ear and he felt that he would benefit by getting back on the field sooner.

the likes of Sherry may not have played games in NZ but they were training etc and their mind was on the jobs. Players need as much time as they can be afforded over the summers to give their minds and bodies a break.

The day we were hockied 60 nil was exactly a year from the day of the first lions test in oz and 48 weeks after training for the WC had begun. Players need time away from the game or else they'll burn out or just pick up niggly injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

But it's not 'time off', the internationals will still be training with their provinces and going to Ireland camp in September, no? And I would have thought that Sherry needs game time far more than he needs training camp.

The Munster squad are back in pre-season and Sherry is only going on his holidays now. That means he is a month/six weeks behind them in his preparation for next season (just like D Ryan and the rest of them who were on the NZ tour).

:confused: not sure what you getting at.

I'm just saying that Munster players are currently at preseason training after having a month off, time which under law they are probably entitled to. Sherry is only now at the point where he is taking his month off so it will probably be another 3 weeks before he can start his preseason training and getting back up to speed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭ed7890

touts wrote: »
    When the international players are unavailable we will have just Ian Nagel & Dave Foley at lock and Varley & Henry at hooker? We're tempting the injury fates a bit aren't we. And lets face it those same fates have been using Munster as their toilet for a couple of years.

Well at lock, we also have Billy Holland, and Brian Hayes in 3rd year of the academy, who should be getting games as well.

At hooker we have 3 players in the academy, one of whom just captained the U20s team. Plus if Sherry is not getting on the match-day squads, he might just train with Ireland mid-week and come back to play for Munster. Same might go for DOC.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭totallegend

:confused: not sure what you getting at.

I'm just saying that Munster players are currently at preseason training after having a month off, time which under law they are probably entitled to. Sherry is only now at the point where he is taking his month off so it will probably be another 3 weeks before he can start his preseason training and getting back up to speed.

Right, so if he starts pre-season in 3 weeks, then that's mid-July, he should be well ready for gametime come September. My point is that he shouldn't be forced to miss the early rounds of the Rabo simply because he was holding tackle bags in NZ.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement