Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

If Hurley starts (and I think he will) it'll be at 15.

Varley to his credit had a few turnovers and is some boy to make yards in tight spaces. MOD and DOC don't offere much in varity in terms of lineout options but Varley threw poorly as well.

Where would you accommodate Jones? I don't remember him ever playing wing for Munster and I can't see him getting dropped for Murphy/Hurley. If Hurley starts, it will be at 14 with Jones at 15. Hurley's pace might be a problem, but I wouldn't imagine it being too badly exposed against Craig "I got skinned by a frontrow" Gilroy.

That is essentially Varley summed up in one paragraph. Sherry probably doesn't have the gametime under his belt to warrant a start, but I'd like to see him given a shot. He throws good darts, consistently improves the Scrum, and carries very effectively. He might be better as an impact sub at present though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

Where would you accommodate Jones? I don't remember him ever playing wing for Munster and I can't see him getting dropped for Murphy/Hurley. If Hurley starts, it will be at 14 with Jones at 15. Hurley's pace might be a problem, but I wouldn't imagine it being too badly exposed against Craig "I got skinned by a frontrow" Gilroy.

That is essentially Varley summed up in one paragraph. Sherry probably doesn't have the gametime under his belt to warrant a start, but I'd like to see him given a shot. He throws good darts, consistently improves the Scrum, and carries very effectively. He might be better as an impact sub at present though.

Jones on the bench. He has been decent but is not back to full form yet. Think back to how good Hurley was in the group stages of the HC. Munsters best back by a distance bar Zebo in the latter stages.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Attack wise I'd start Hurley against Gilroy. Gilroy can be a bit suspect in defence and Hurley is a powerful runner who'll more than likely drag in Gilroy and someone else creating room for a nice offload that he is well capable of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭omerin

Thinking outside the box, is it time to get Gavin Henson over now that he seems to be out of favour. Imo the discipline of the Munster set up and being away from the bright lights may settle him down to a return to form. Just a thought

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Yeah Jones hasn't looked at the level he was playing last season.

• Advertisement

omerin wrote: »
    Thinking outside the box, is it time to get Gavin Henson over now that he seems to be out of favour. Imo the discipline of the Munster set up and being away from the bright lights may settle him down to a return to form. Just a thought

Away from the bright lights didn't really work for him in Toulon. I think he's close to the end of his career now tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

No no no no

His career is surely done at this stage. He's got a bad rep in Wales, England and France by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Jones on the bench. He has been decent but is not back to full form yet. Think back to how good Hurley was in the group stages of the HC. Munsters best back by a distance bar Zebo in the latter stages.

He isnt back to top form, but it'd still rate his impact to the team as greater than Murphy's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

No way!

We'll have Downey and JJ at 12 next year

No need for such an overrated trouble maker

• Advertisement

He isnt back to top form, but it'd still rate his impact to the team as greater than Murphy's.

Maybe put him on the wing as Murphy is a better bench option but there's no question that Hurley is the best option at 15 at the mo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Varley was getting treatment at most of the breaks in play in the first half, he shouldn't have been on, imo. Sherry was good when he came on but he's played very little this year, I wonder if he'll be fit enough to start a HEC game.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Varley was getting treatment at most of the breaks in play in the first half, he shouldn't have been on, imo. Sherry was good when he came on but he's played very little this year, I wonder if he'll be fit enough to start a HEC game.
    It's a shame the way the season has gone for Sherry. He really could have been challenging Varley by now if fully fit imo. And that probably could have seen him travelling down to NZ.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,591 ✭✭✭ambid

Franno on the Breakdown suggested Henson to Connacht. But that's probably just because he doesn't like Connacht very much.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

ambid wrote: »
    Franno on the Breakdown suggested Henson to Connacht. But that's probably just because he doesn't like Connacht very much.

Ha I think he was taking the piss there though.

So what are people's opinions on Keatley in general?

I don't have faith in him starting in a HC game yet... but I wouldn't write him off completely yet. He has shown he has a lot of talent but is still inconsistent and not ready for the big games imo. But I think he has to be given the chance by the coaching staff next season. ROG is still the main man but Keatley should start 1 if not 2 Heineken Cup games next year, and be trusted to come off the bench. Maybe even give him some time at 12. If he's not the answer, we've got to find someone else but I don't think we can make that judgement on him yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

Some very big calls for McGahan to make. I'd rate Hurley and Jones as better players than Johne Murphy, but Murphy is a better winger than both of them. I'd probably go with Murphy on the wing with Hurley at fullback. Jones isn't making a massive impact in attack at the moment. Hurley's timing of his runs into the line and offloading might could get us a try.

Scrumhalf is an interesting one. I thought Tomas had a decent enough game, and at least he is match fit. I'm not as desperate to throw Murray back in as I was after the England game. If Murray can walk, then he has to be on the bench at least.

Backrow and secondrow are both a mess. Coughlan & O'Mahony are the only nailed down selections. It all comes down to injuries. Micko isn't really up to it any more, so out of the back5, he'd be the first to lose for one of Ryan or O'Connell, followed by one of the O'Callaghans.

I'd stick with Varley, and hope he had an off day with the darts, which haven't been too bad in general this season. His ball carrying is decent, and he is good for winning a turnover or two. Sherry's impact off the bench is excellent, adds a bit of mayhem to the proceedings at times. He's the sort of impact player who is great to bring off the bench with 20 to go.

It's a shame the way the season has gone for Sherry. He really could have been challenging Varley by now if fully fit imo. And that probably could have seen him travelling down to NZ.

Yeah, I have high hopes he'll be challenging to be a starter soon.

ambid wrote: »

I can't see someone that orange fitting into the Sportsground.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    So what are people's opinions on Keatley in general?

I don't have faith in him starting in a HC game yet... but I wouldn't write him off completely yet. He has shown he has a lot of talent but is still inconsistent and not ready for the big games imo. But I think he has to be given the chance by the coaching staff next season. ROG is still the main man but Keatley should start 1 if not 2 Heineken Cup games next year, and be trusted to come off the bench. Maybe even give him some time at 12. If he's not the answer, we've got to find someone else but I don't think we can make that judgement on him yet.

Keatley and Deasy are probably the players I really hoped would excel this season and who really haven't. Keatley has all the skills but I'm not sure he can use them.

• Advertisement

The only thing I'd have about Hurley at 15 is that he is not great under the high ball. If I were the opposing out half I'd be dropping garryowens on him all day.

I can't see someone that orange fitting into the Sportsground.

He'd do a great job for them, if he could be bothered.

CatFromHue wrote: »
    The only thing I'd have about Hurley at 15 is that he is not great under the high ball. If I were the opposing out half I'd be dropping garryowens on him all day.

He used to be really awful, but he's improved a good bit. He'll never be Kearney. Hurley can be very hot and cold, though. When he's off form it's grim viewing.

That being said, Jones has only been ok since he came back, I don't think he's done enough to drop Hurley for him.

He's gotten better yeah but it's a weak point of his, especially at 15.

If Ryan and POC are fit I'd say Ryan will start in the back row.

He'd do a great job for them, if he could be bothered.

I was the only ripping the piss there, yeah he would. Too many ifs though!

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He's gotten better yeah but it's a weak point of his, especially at 15.

If Ryan and POC are fit I'd say Ryan will start in the back row.

I don't see that we've any choice. We need to start Wian, Varley, Botha, POC, DOC, Ryan, POM, Coughlan. I'd have Holland and TOD as the subs.

Tbh, a more interesting pack is who we play for the A side on friday.

It'll probably be something like Kilcoyne, Henry, Ryan, Hayes?, Donnellan?, DOCv2.0, BOH, Butler. That being said, it could be any number of players, we need a few guys like Kilcoyne to step up, imo.

I don't see that we've any choice. We need to start Wian, Varley, Botha, POC, DOC, Ryan, POM, Coughlan. I'd have Holland and TOD as the subs.

Tbh, a more interesting pack is who we play for the A side on friday.

It'll probably be something like Kilcoyne, Henry, Ryan, Hayes?, Donnellan?, DOCv2.0, BOH, Butler. That being said, it could be any number of players, we need a few guys like Kilcoyne to step up, imo.

No faith in DOC2 for the starting team? I think the choice between him and DOC is very close if it comes down to it. He was the player that impressed me most against Leinster.

And if Wallace doesn't make the HC team, he'll probably be ahead of BOH for the A game.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    No faith in DOC2 for the starting team? I think the choice between him and DOC is very close if it comes down to it. He was the player that impressed me most against Leinster.

And if Wallace doesn't make the HC team, he'll probably be ahead of BOH for the A game.

I'm not sure about DOC2, but he's nowhere near DOC yet. At a push he should be ahead of Holland for the bench.

I'm not sure about DOC2, but he's nowhere near DOC yet. At a push he should be ahead of Holland for the bench.

At last a bit of realism. Don't see too much of it around here of late

• Advertisement

Why is there a DOC vs DOC2.0 debate? One's a lock, one's a backrow.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement