Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/mcgahan-new-rules-hindering-ireland-188754.html

More from McGahan on the difficulties of the new AIL rules. Strange that Cotter is clearly in his plans despite not featuring much for either the A team or the senior team.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

The IRFU should really listen to him, there's not many people who will know better than the provincial coaches since they are supposed to be the ones developing players for the international team.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭durkadurka

Eh ....... Thomond where the f*ck is my Munster Leinster match thread?

Come on now. You dont want someone else to go and do a sh1t one now do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

durkadurka wrote: »
    Eh ....... Thomond where the f*ck is my Munster Leinster match thread?

Come on now. You dont want someone else to go and do a sh1t one now do you?

ugh just after spending an hour discussing the game on the podcast, batteries are dying here mate.

So now that you're an Internet 'personality' you've left the little people behind.

Well that's just fine. I don't care.

Already over you.

• Advertisement

So now that you're an Internet 'personality' you've left the little people behind.

Well that's just fine. I don't care.

Already over you.

haha I'm doing one now, happy? :)

Sleep can wait! (It's midnight over here)

However thanks to Mr. Sherlock it can't be colourful.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

haha I'm doing one now, happy? :)

Sleep can wait! (It's midnight over here)

However thanks to Mr. Sherlock it can't be colourful.

You can use the images. You can do exactly as you have been doing.

Really? I'll stick a few in then, unless a mod says otherwise?

Is There a change of heart?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Is There a change of heart?

No. I mean I might be completely wrong but I cannot see how what Thomond was doing contravenes the law that was passed. So long, as Justin said at the time, as he credits the logos to their owner's etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

Reallly? I'll stick a few in then, unless a mod says otherwise?

Yeah go for it. Sure throw in a few of those pics of the scantily clad girls from the Rugby Sevens at HK... Until a mod says otherwise, of course...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,719 ✭✭✭✭phog

Howlett’s help gives Zebo big-game edge
    By Barry Coughlan

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/howletts-help-gives-zebo-big-game-edge-188618.html#ixzz1qbcju5rp
    Doug Howlett may appear just a frustrated spectator at the moment as he recovers from injury, but his work behind the scenes at Munster has helped mould wing sensation Simon Zebo into his almost natural successor.

In a short space of time, Zebo has come from rookie to hero and, yesterday, as he contemplates participation in two of the biggest game of his fledgling career, a RaboDirect Pro12 clash with Leinster and a Heineken Cup quarter-final with Ulster, he paid tribute to Howlett for giving him a big helping hand.

"Whenever Dougie talks, you listen, straight away because he doesn’t talk nonsense," says Zebo. "He always has the best advice to give you and he won’t talk unless it is needed. Everything he does, I’m just analysing him and trying to emulate him."

Read more: http://www.irishexaminer.com/sport/rugby/howletts-help-gives-zebo-big-game-edge-188618.html#ixzz1qbcQteOE

That's exactly what you want to hear.

Hopefully ROG can have a similar impact on Keatley, Wallace on TOD & POM, and Botha on Archer/Ryan/Cotter.

Have to say I've been impressed with the growth in Zebo's game over the past few months. He's really become a more rounded player and much better defensively. Still, the Ulster game could be coming a season too soon.

Have to say I've been impressed with the growth in Zebo's game over the past few months. He's really become a more rounded player and much better defensively. Still, the Ulster game could be coming a season too soon.

Maybe but it will still play a huge part in his development. It's good for him to be involved in these type of games anyway.

I think some people are also forgetting how young POM is- him, DOC2, even Jones- this will be their first taste of the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup. It will be Ryan's first-time starting (if he makes it) at this stage.

Whatever the result, the experience of these high-intensity games will help to bring them to the next level.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

I'd have no worries about him in huge games like that. Provided he is switched on, he looks (like becoming) a top player going forward and in defense. Its the lesser games where he'll lose concentration/commitment that I'd worry about.

Fireball07 wrote: »
    Maybe but it will still play a huge part in his development. It's good for him to be involved in these type of games anyway.

I think some people are also forgetting how young POM is- him, DOC2, even Jones- this will be their first taste of the knockout stages of the Heineken Cup. It will be Ryan's first-time starting (if he makes it) at this stage.

Whatever the result, the experience of these high-intensity games will help to bring them to the next level.

I think so, there's an exciting young team coming through, but it's important they learn to win. Hopefully DOC2 can come on, I'm not sure he has the bulk yet. I think TOD has come on a lot this year too.

I'd have no worries about him in huge games like that. Provided he is switched on, he looks (like becoming) a top player going forward and in defense. Its the lesser games where he'll lose concentration/commitment that I'd worry about.

Tbf, last week he was excellent in a mid level game, he really looked the part. And he was crucial in helping turn the game when it was going badly against us.

I think so, there's an exciting young team coming through, but it's important they learn to win. Hopefully DOC2 can come on, I'm not sure he has the bulk yet. I think TOD has come on a lot this year too.

That's true...but they've done well so far. Not been our best performances in a HC campaign by a long shot but still won 6 from 6, including a fantastic win against Northampton. Ulster will be tougher again, but I think they can do it.

I agree about TOD, I think he's been excellent and he'd be my favoured option in the back row for Ulster, his enthusiasm is obvious, he hits rucks with huge intensity and is a decent carrier too.

That's true...but they've done well so far. Not been our best performances in a HC campaign by a long shot but still won 6 from 6, including a fantastic win against Northampton. Ulster will be tougher again, but I think they can do it.

I agree about TOD, I think he's been excellent and he'd be my favoured option in the back row for Ulster, his enthusiasm is obvious, he hits rucks with huge intensity and is a decent carrier too.

The Ulster game has an entirely different mental aspect though. It's not just Munster v. whoever, it's guys playing directly for spots for the summer tour etc. Guys like Cave, Henry and Touhy will see it as an International audition.

I don't know if TOD will ever be top class, but he was very good last weekend.

• Advertisement

The Ulster game has an entirely different mental aspect though. It's not just Munster v. whoever, it's guys playing directly for spots for the summer tour etc. Guys like Cave, Henry and Touhy will see it as an International audition.

I don't know if TOD will ever be top class, but he was very good last weekend.

I never really thought about that way but I guess you're right. I do expect them to give it everything though, it would be very disappointing if they perform below their own capabilities... you don't expect that from Munster teams... I have faith in this group's mental strength though- but POC will be vital just to keep their heads right for the game.

Yeah...I see TOD becoming a very good player but maybe just short of international standard (in comparison to our wealth of options in the back row). Maybe like someone like Kevin McLaughlin.

I never really thought about that way but I guess you're right. I do expect them to give it everything though, it would be very disappointing if they perform below their own capabilities... you don't expect that from Munster teams... I have faith in this group's mental strength though- but POC will be vital just to keep their heads right for the game.

Yeah...I see TOD becoming a very good player but maybe just short of international standard (in comparison to our wealth of options in the back row). Maybe like someone like Kevin McLaughlin.

Yeah, just pointing that it has a different aspect to most games. A good performance from Touhy or Cave and a winning performance from Ulster will bring them into the Irish squads, imo. And their team is stacked with guys who want that. Touhy, Henry, Marshall, iHumphs as well as any number of backs. Strange situation. They almost certainly feel overlooked by Ireland and probably feel (on some level) that there is both a slight pro Munster bias and a slight anti Ulster bias from the Irish management.

So much of these games come down to motivation and who handles that better, we know Ulster are good enough and they'll rarely be as motivated.

Btw, two articles on Botha in today's (Saturday's) Irish Times. Here's one where he discusses developing props.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/sport/2012/0331/1224314167501.html

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭chancer12

heading down to the match shortly. will come by Birdhill and wonder where will be the best place for parking? Any access to Mayorstone/Greystones? Last yr parked down by Holy Rosary, wonder is there anything closer?

Really looking forward to this

• Registered Users Posts: 23,719 ✭✭✭✭phog

chancer12 wrote: »
    heading down to the match shortly. will come by Birdhill and wonder where will be the best place for parking? Any access to Mayorstone/Greystones? Last yr parked down by Holy Rosary, wonder is there anything closer?

Really looking forward to this

May be too late for you, Greystones/Mayorstone/Ballynanty all closed off, parking along by Kileely road, between Watchouse X and Hassetts, beware some spots may have guys looking to "mind your car, sir" and further out got parking tickets during a recent game.

http://www.newcastlefalcons.co.uk/news/story/falcons-22-sale-19

Peter Stringer helps Newcastle to a crucial win over Sale. They are now 4 points behind Wasps (who host Gloucester today). They travel to Wasps on the final day in what should be a straight out battle to avoid relegation.

Well, disappointing night last night but we have to move on to next week.

1. I think Sherry should start. Lineouts looked much better when he came on, he seems a decent enough scrummager and in the loose, both him and Varley are good but Sherry looks more in form.

2. I think it's a given that Du Preez and Botha have to start. Hopefully neither will get injured.

3. We need POC and Ryan back. Controlled aggression. Neither MOD nor DOC were bad last night, but MOD gave away a couple of penalties and neither can make as much of an impact as our starting pair. Plus POC's drive and leadership lifts the whole team.

4. Wallace might be fit enough to make an impact from the bench. DOC2 did well last night, I'd start the same back row. Need to be a bit more patient with their ballcarrying, I think they were trying too much and there were times where they just needed to keep it tight and get a bit of momentum.

5. I really hope Murray is fit, he has a crisper pass than TOL and it gives ROG that extra bit of time he needs. I don't think ROG was bad last night but he's had better days. The knock-on was awful and he missed a couple of kicks. Hopefully he'll be firing next week.

6. Hope Hurley is back. Murphy was anonymous yesterday. And Mafi never passes. I thought Zebo looked threatening and both Jones and Earls were decent. Hurley's ability to offload in the tackle does add an extra dimension to our attack which looked very lateral yesterday. If Zebo wasn't going to outpace someone or Leinster weren't going to knock on from a garryowen, we weren't a real threat.

7. Next week will be tough, we have hope but we're relying on luck regarding injuries. Not a good place to be imo. Set-piece needs to function. And I hope we can get the backs moving like they did against Northampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭Blackheath

Would liketo see Sherry start, he looked more composed last night.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

My few points for next week

1. Hurley needs to start, Murphy was poor. Would like to see him at 12 but a HC quarter aint the time for that experiment

2. Sherry should start given his improved darts. Although infairness to Varley he was decent in the loose

3. I'd like to Zebo back himself with ball in hand more often. He was great last night but I felt on occasion he was kicking when he could have had a cut

4. Murray, POC, Ryan and Wallace on the bench would be a huge boost

Also, I'm deeply worried about the future of Munster in terms of our ten.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

If Hurley starts (and I think he will) it'll be at 15.

Varley to his credit had a few turnovers and is some boy to make yards in tight spaces. MOD and DOC don't offere much in varity in terms of lineout options but Varley threw poorly as well.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement