Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭profitius

wixfjord wrote: »
    Let's remember that Ryan is older and less experienced than MCL too.

Ryan has played 7 times for Ireland and McLaughlin has played 1 game for Ireland. So Ryan is more experienced and therefore is better than McLaughlin! Just joking. ;)

Ryan is very underrated by many people who ignore his good performances and concentrate on his HEC games etc. Hes 27 so he can still have a good career. McLaughlin came on the scene late too. He was unlucky with injuries and players ahead of him, just like DR.

I've always said that a faster game would suit DR because he is a good athlete with good offloading skills. Hes also supposed to be good in scrums and was involved in Munsters try of the season against Ulster where he played the final pass to Mafi in the 82nd minute.

I'm not going to talk down McLaughlin because he is also a good player but I for me Ryan is better overall and I think he just needs McGahan to play him more regularly. After the end of the season maybe McGahan is seeing the light, finally.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

One point that's being made that's frustrating is "Ryan isn't getting enough game-time".

A player shouldn't need much game-time to show his worth. If you can't show your worth in 26 games, when on God's green earth can you?? And I know, a lot of you will be saying that Ryan has been on the bench for most of those games, well guess what, he's been on the bench for 8 of those 26 games. That means he's started 18 games this season.

As I said, you shouldn't need more than that to prove your worth. KvM has had 15 games this season, 12 of which he has started, and he has put in better performances that D.Ryan. It really is as simple as that. All this talk of bloody potential. I could just as easily say that TJ Anderson has the potential to be fantastic if B.McLaughlin would only give him a run of 27 games. D.Ryan may well have potential, but he keeps forgetting to bring it with him onto the pitch. He may well have done so on a couple of occasions, but consistently the guy has been ineffective.

To say he's an overall better player than McLaughlin is simply baffling to me. Where is the evidence to prove it. As I said, he would probably get the nod ahead of McLaughlin on the plane, simply because he can play lock. Which is something I wouldn't exactly brand as "versatility".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Munster look to Cavanagh

By John Fallon
    Saturday, July 02, 2011
    MUNSTER have turned to Tadhg Kennelly’s trainer with the Sydney Swans to knock them into shape for the new rugby season. Australian Bryce Cavanagh has been appointed Munster’s new strength and conditioning coach and takes over from the late Paul Darbyshire.
    Cavanagh, who previously worked with the NSW Waratahs in Australia before switching to Aussie Rules, will meet Munster’s international contingent for the first time on Monday, having linked up with the rest of the squad this week.

Cavanagh held a similar role with Kennelly’s Sydney Swans and also worked in netball and in cricket.

He will be responsible for getting the Munster squad into shape for the new season when they will hope to get their Heineken Cup ambitions back on track.

Munster begin the new season with a friendly away to French side La Rochelle on August 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭PhatPiggins

ormond lad wrote: »
    Munster look to Cavanagh

By John Fallon
    Saturday, July 02, 2011
    MUNSTER have turned to Tadhg Kennelly’s trainer with the Sydney Swans to knock them into shape for the new rugby season. Australian Bryce Cavanagh has been appointed Munster’s new strength and conditioning coach and takes over from the late Paul Darbyshire.
    Cavanagh, who previously worked with the NSW Waratahs in Australia before switching to Aussie Rules, will meet Munster’s international contingent for the first time on Monday, having linked up with the rest of the squad this week.

Cavanagh held a similar role with Kennelly’s Sydney Swans and also worked in netball and in cricket.

He will be responsible for getting the Munster squad into shape for the new season when they will hope to get their Heineken Cup ambitions back on track.

Munster begin the new season with a friendly away to French side La Rochelle on August 12.

I await the first "sure what would a netball coach know about rugby fitness" donk comment.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

I can confirm that Munster have signed Isa Toeava:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Leroy Lita wrote: »

Where did you hear this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭jolley123

Conrad Smith is coming to Munster, watch the space

Well.......you have been right in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭Leroy Lita

jolley123 wrote: »
    Well.......you have been right in the past.

Both Toeava and Smith are going to Munster;)

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭David900

Although the smiley :rolleyes: is quite irritating, I'm pretty sure it was invented for a lot of your statements!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

They can't be.

Smith
    Toeava
    Botha
    Mafi
    Howlett
    Du Preez
    Borlase*

would be too many NIQ players (6+1 instead of the allowed 5+1).

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    They can't be.

Smith
    Toeava
    Botha
    Mafi
    Howlett
    Du Preez
    Borlase*

would be too many NIQ players (6+1 instead of the allowed 5+1).

I'm fairly sure its a wind up i.e. the ;)

http://www.munsterrugby.ie/news/9153.php
    Munster and Ireland centre Barry Murphy (28) underwent surgery on his foot last week to correct a "Lisfrank" injury by fusing together two small bones in his foot.

The 28 year old whose seven year association with Munster Rugby came to end at the conclusion of last season had the operation in Dublin with his surgeon optimistic of a positive outcome."The surgeon seems to think there is a chance of a full recovery" reports Murphy, "After suffering long injured periods over the last two seasons, it is much too early to announce any chance of a comeback."

"I have six to nine months of recovery and rehab to go through. I’ll quite literally take each step at a time and take stock of what I’m capable of at the end of that process.”

“I’d like to thank everyone who has been so supportive, especially medical staff, players and coaches at Munster – not forgetting the supporters too.”

Murphy is looking forward to staying involved by helping with coaching duties at UL Bohemians this coming season.

Hopefully Murphy will return to playing at some level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Hopefully Murphy will return to playing at some level.

I reckon he'll return at AIL level alright, I just can't see him standing the physicality of ML or HEC rugby. It's a massive shame because he's the type of player you pay to watch, just a lovely runner.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,926 ✭✭✭jacothelad

It could have been caused by something as simple as someone stamping on his foot. I'm surprised it has taken so long to diagnose this injury. While it is rare enough, in a contact sportsman - in particular a rugby player - it should have been diagnosed. The outcomes are usually really good so if this is the reason for his 'retirement' he should make a full recovery. I'd welcome him at Ravenhill if fit.

Jean de Villiers is apparently staying at WP/Stormers for another season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,592 ✭✭✭GerM

Jean de Villiers is apparently staying at WP/Stormers for another season.

Has there been an official announcement, Thomond?

Has there been any mention of Jaque Fourie as a possible target in Munster circles? I believe he's out of contract post WC also. He'd be a good signing and a 13 might be a better signing to make than a 12 with Mafi and Keatley both being able to play 12.

EDIT: Found it. JDV has apparently signed and Fourie expected to do the same although there's nothing concrete in relation to Fourie so still a possibility. http://www.ruggaworld.com/2011/07/05/wps-double-edged-sword/

On munsterrugby.ie they're looking for a new elite player develpment manager. Somebody mentioned that the IRFU are restructuring the academies. Does anybody have any info on it?

Vacancy: Elite Player Development Manager
    5 July 2011, 1:22 pm
    By The Editor

The IRFU is currently seeking applications for the position of Elite Player Development Manager for Munster Rugby.

The Irish Rugby Football Union (IRFU) is the governing body for the sport of rugby union in Ireland and comprises four provincial branches as well as the national governing body.The IRFU is currently seeking applications for the position of Elite Player Development Manager for Munster Rugby with the responsibility to oversee the strategies and long-term objectives of the elite player development pathway in Munster. The Elite Player Development Manager is a full time employee of the IRFU.
    Reporting operationally to the CEO Munster Rugby and the Chair of the Munster Rugby Academy Board (or equivalent), and functionally to the IRFU Director of Rugby via the High Performance Manager, the successful candidate will have:
    • A minimum of 3 years experience and a proven track record of achievement in developing players for the elite representative game of rugby union
    • An IRFU / IRB or related union coaching accreditation.
    • A complete and thorough understanding of rugby union and the long term player development (LTPD) pathway.
    • Excellent interpersonal skills, the ability to interface effectively with people at all levels and the competence to manage and motivate, develop relationships, and if required manage conflict.
    • Excellent leadership and management skills including the ability to plan, communicate, research and constantly evaluate current practice in order to achieve excellence and realise the vision.
    Responsibilities associated with the role of Elite Player Development Manager will include:
    • Oversee the strategies and long-term objectives of the elite pathway aligned to IRFU LTPD and Technical models, to include the Academy Programme, the Sub-Academy Programme, the National Talent Programme and the Regional Development Squad Programme.
    • Ensure delivery of agreed service level provision for all aspects of the elite pathway with the IRFU Performance Committee and Provincial Performance Board.
    • Manage the development and progression of players for the professional game in Ireland to Pro12, European, International and World Class standards.
    • Manage an integrated service team to ensure best service provision for all players within elite pathway.
    To apply, please forward your Curriculum Vitae with a covering letter of not more than one page highlighting relevant experience to recruitment@irfu.ie or alternatively to: Human Resources Department, Irish Rugby Football Union, 10-12 Lansdowne Road, Ballsbridge, Dublin 4.
    The closing date for applications is Friday 22nd July 2011 at 5.00pm.
    Candidates must be available to interview between 8th August to 12th August 2011.
    The IRFU is an equal opportunities employer.

Bit better then the token advertisement for a scrum coach last year which had an application window of 12 minutes.

Hopefully not another case of jobs for the boys

Bit better then the token advertisement for a scrum coach last year which had an application window of 12 minutes.

Hopefully not another case of jobs for the boys

Hopefully not but at the same time you need a guy who knows the Irish system, the differences between schools and youths etc. I daresay you also need someone with an insight into the irish mindset, what might work on an Aussie or SA kid won't necessarily work on a Munster guy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Cpt_Blackbeard

Hopefully not but at the same time you need a guy who knows the Irish system, the differences between schools and youths etc. I daresay you also need someone with an insight into the irish mindset, what might work on an Aussie or SA kid won't necessarily work on a Munster guy.

At the same time, you need someone with no allegiances to any clubs or schools. Munster really need someone who will treat every player equally, regardless of what school they go/went to or what club they play for.

• Advertisement

At the same time, you need someone with no allegiances to any clubs or schools. Munster really need someone who will treat every player equally, regardless of what school they go/went to or what club they play for.

Depends as well on who actually picks the players for the Academy? Is it McGahan, the coaching staff, the head of the Academy etc.

Dont agree with you there amazo.. Outside influence is needed because the stays quo needs to go. Munster need someone to come in and demand x changes and y goes for good. What they need less than siphilus is someone who says "and this is how this has worked for the last number of years, no changes needed there".

Someone who's worked in a similar role anywhere but on the island of Ireland is what I would recommend. And if they could scalp someone from an english or french academy they'd be in great shape.

Dont agree with you there amazo.. Outside influence is needed because the stays quo needs to go. Munster need someone to come in and demand x changes and y goes for good. What they need less than siphilus is someone who says "and this is how this has worked for the last number of years, no changes needed there".

Someone who's worked in a similar role anywhere but on the island of Ireland is what I would recommend. And if they could scalp someone from an english or french academy they'd be in great shape.

The status quo needs to change but that doesn't necessarily mean an outside influence, imo.

I'm against jobs for the boys like Galwey etc but if there's a guy good enough to do the job in the province already then go for him. My only criterion is that whoever is hired is good enough. If say, John Kelly, went for it and looked to be up to doing a great job, I wouldn't turn him down because he's a former player.

It's funny this change is happening just as a decent bunch of players seem to be emerging, Sherry, Nagle, Murray, Barnes etc. The damage was done, imo, when Kidney was in charge and didn't bother with the Academy.

Nail on the head with Kidney. It was as if he was allergic to player development and progression.

Nail on the head with Kidney. It was as if he was allergic to player development and progression.

I think he didn't fully appreciate how far the AIL had fallen as a means to develop players. It's the only logical conclusion you can draw from how Munster dealt with the Academy initially. In a lot of ways Kidney is the product of the system, former schools player, schools coach, AIL coach etc. Very hard for someone to then turn around and say the system is wrong.

We only know the Academy system is wrong in Munster by comparison to other Academies, had Leinster and Ulster not brought through much better younger players I don't think we'd be seeing any shake-up. There's probably also an element of luck with the other Academies that makes Munster's look worse. If you look at the Irish u20's team, clearly the next crop of players, especially forwards, aren't all that great.

I hope the days of jobs for the boys is gone but I'd doubt it. Although I'd prefer home grown coaches, a few outsiders are always valuable in bringing in new ideas.

The development officers around Munster need a shake up too. I heard they've been spending too long in some places while never go to other places.

We still have had hardly any centers come through the academy after all these years. That alone is a sign that changes needed to be made.

Last season did Zebo play more at centre than wing for Cork Con? Anytime I saw a Con lineup during last season he seemed to be at 13.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

profitius wrote: »
    I hope the days of jobs for the boys is gone but I'd doubt it. Although I'd prefer home grown coaches, a few outsiders are always valuable in bringing in new ideas.

The development officers around Munster need a shake up too. I heard they've been spending too long in some places while never go to other places.

We still have had hardly any centers come through the academy after all these years. That alone is a sign that changes needed to be made.
    On the development officer issue, there is some that spend a lot of time working with the A schools and very little with non rugby playing schools and in clubs. Others are working as DOs but are spending a lot of time coaching teams in other sports.
    Hopefully whoever replaces sherwin as academy director is a bit better at standing up to the schools and can help improve the standards of u16/17/18 players playing at representative level with the province.

Last season did Zebo play more at centre than wing for Cork Con? Anytime I saw a Con lineup during last season he seemed to be at 13.

Wing I reckon, not sure he played centre after the start of the season? Con had Dineen and Jouve in the centres, iirc, for a lot of the games.

• Advertisement

Interesting that Andrew Burke and Mike Kelleher are going to Young Munsters, both played for Munster A straight after school. Wonder will they come back on the radar now they are with a big club? Still fairly young guys too.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement