Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Removing tar spots from paintwork?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Cover your car with peanut butter for 24 hours? Did I read that right?! t would be covered in crows pecking at it! Tar would be the least of your worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 774 ✭✭✭Seperate

gpjordanf1 wrote: »
    Your talking through your A**E, you have been told by very experienced people that it does no harm to your car when used with a bit of common sense.(like anyother strong chemicals youd use)

Wash car, dry, apply petrol to tar spots, remove with cloth, wash, shampoo & wax. Such a simple job, no need for bull tar removing products.

And I know this first hand, a guy in the "detailing" (american term?) car valeting profession actually game me his recipe which was 1 part petrol, 2 part diesel and a washing tablet, shake well and apply.

People have been commenting on my car for years and admiring how fresh it looks and whats my secret.

So sorry but your wrong wrong wrong, it does not dull paint.

These cars you witnessed coming in with dull paint due to petrol, did you witness the cars before said petrol was applied to said cars?

I know first hand, after detailing about 400 cars over the last few years and seen the damage petrol does to modern clearcoats, that it is a bad idea and should be avoided.

The likes of Audi/BMW/Merc paints will take longer to show the effects, but the likes of a mazda or toyota will show it almost straight away. I have an Avensis covered in tar here (my dads car) - I'm up for a wager if you are all that confident :D It was polished at the weekend, so dulling will be evident straight away!
    Where can you get Tardis and how much is it?

€27.95 for 5 Litres - http://www.detailer.ie/catalog/index.php/wash.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 867 ✭✭✭gpjordanf1

Seperate wrote: »
    I know first hand, after detailing about 400 cars over the last few years and seen the damage petrol does to modern clearcoats, that it is a bad idea and should be avoided.

Vectra = 30 years experience Ignored
    Myself = 19 years experience about 10 years using petrol for tar removing Ignored

Yourself = a few years and a 400 cars : knows it all?

Seriously?
    I have an Avensis covered in tar here (my dads car) - I'm up for a wager if you are all that confident :D It was polished at the weekend, so dulling will be evident straight away!

I cant figure out what your saying here? Re phrase maybe?

Was your dads car done with petrol?

Did you valet the car and now its dulling?

I dont get it?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Your talking through your A**E, you have been told by very experienced people that it does no harm to your car when used with a bit of common sense.(like anyother strong chemicals youd use)

Wash car, dry, apply petrol to tar spots, remove with cloth, wash, shampoo & wax. Such a simple job, no need for bull tar removing products.

And I know this first hand, a guy in the "detailing" (american term?) car valeting profession actually game me his recipe which was 1 part petrol, 2 part diesel and a washing tablet, shake well and apply.

People have been commenting on my car for years and admiring how fresh it looks and whats my secret.

So sorry but your wrong wrong wrong, it does not dull paint.

These cars you witnessed coming in with dull paint due to petrol, did you witness the cars before said petrol was applied to said cars?
    Your attitude stinks of ignorance and arrogance to be honest.
    Yes, I've seen it FIRST HAND (seeing as capitals seem to qualify things for you), on a few month old car, non-metallic, German. Before, perfect. After, dulled, visibly in direct sunlight. Tar removing product used to get rid of all the rest of the tar was much more effective and faster acting, washed the car afterwards, could still see effect in direct sunlight from petrol, polished and now it's fine again, but based on what I've seen I won't be using petrol.
    You state that you know it all, (usually people who do actually don't), and you state that using petrol is fine yet your recommended mix is actually petrol diluted with diesel and a washing tablet, which qualifies my arguement from the start - don't use raw petrol!
    Calm yourself down, no need to go around insulting everyone who disagrees with you.

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    Yes, I've seen it FIRST HAND (seeing as capitals seem to qualify things for you), on a few month old car, non-metallic, German. Before, perfect. After, dulled, visibly in direct sunlight. Tar removing product used to get rid of all the rest of the tar was much more effective and faster acting, washed the car afterwards, could still see effect in direct sunlight from petrol, polished and now it's fine again, but based on what I've seen I won't be using petrol.
    You state that you know it all, (usually people who do actually don't), and you state that using petrol is fine yet your recommended mix is actually petrol diluted with diesel and a washing tablet, which qualifies my arguement from the start - don't use raw petrol!
    Calm yourself down, no need to go around insulting everyone who disagrees with you.

Show me once where I insulted you or anyway one else, if you cant handle people telling you straight that your incorrect in you advice, then you'd want to harden up a little bit.

I am not gonorant either, i pointed out to you and others that you are the one that was ignorant and dismissive of very experienced people.

I do not or did not claim to know it all,i clearly said from my experience. And also a gentleman who told you about over 30 years experience you chose to Ignore.

You say yourself that the car was fine after using petrol? Whats that all about? Plus I dont believ ethat sequence of events? You used petrol on a bit of the car and tar remover on the rest? Eventhough you's never use it? Weird?

I clearly said a car valeter gave me his reciepe, which was petrol diesel & detergent.I simply cut out the rest over the years.

I also clearly said that anyone who had a lawnmower in their shed would also have a can of petrol, simply to point out this was the quickest and handiest method available to anyone with an ounce of common sense. Seriously lacking here obviously.

I did not insult anyone?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Every single car that comes into me has dry/flaky clearcoat below the petrol cap.

Yes, but surely you can't compare petrol being constantly left on paintwork over the course of months or years, with applying some for five minutes and then washing it off once every few months perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,514 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Dude
    what you are seeing is the "Oil" residue after wiping with petrol
    Anyone with a small bit of cop on would realise you have to wash off the car afterwards and give it a polish.
    You, Yourself has admitted that it is perfect again after a polish.. Then please demonstrate here how you can in fact say that petrol stains the paint??:confused:

What gpjordanf1 said is 100% correct.

Show me once where I insulted you or anyway one else, if you cant handle people telling you straight that your incorrect in you advice, then you'd want to harden up a little bit.

I am not gonorant either, i pointed out to you and others that you are the one that was ignorant and dismissive of very experienced people.

I do not or did not claim to know it all,i clearly said from my experience. And also a gentleman who told you about over 30 years experience you chose to Ignore.

You say yourself that the car was fine after using petrol? Whats that all about? Plus I dont believ ethat sequence of events? You used petrol on a bit of the car and tar remover on the rest? Eventhough you's never use it? Weird?

I clearly said a car valeter gave me his reciepe, which was petrol diesel & detergent.I simply cut out the rest over the years.

I also clearly said that anyone who had a lawnmower in their shed would also have a can of petrol, simply to point out this was the quickest and handiest method available to anyone with an ounce of common sense. Seriously lacking here obviously.

I did not insult anyone?
    Stop jumping to conclusions and filling in gaps in the story that aren't there. You really are an annoying individual and I wouldn't take my car near you because you're obviously not a perfectionist.
    There are many people in the building trade with 30 or 40 years experience too, but that didn't stop them building some of the sh!ttiest houses ever seen in the last 15 years either. Greed and max profit is more important to some people than a properly professional job.
    Good luck to you and your business and opinions. I don't agree with you based on my experience, and you can't hack it.

vectra wrote: »
    Dude
    what you are seeing is the "Oil" residue after wiping with petrol
    Anyone with a small bit of cop on would realise you have to wash off the car afterwards and give it a polish.
    You, Yourself has admitted that it is perfect again after a polish.. Then please demonstrate here how you can in fact say that petrol stains the paint??:confused:

What gpjordanf1 said is 100% correct.
    Experience in the motorsport forum shows that there's no point in arguing with you! :D

Experience in the motorsport forum shows that there's no point in arguing with you! :D

You mean you actually have experience in something..?:confused:
    Something I would wonder about.to be honest
    But hey.
    Show me your super jobs with tardis
    Look through my posts here ( which you obviously have taken time to do ) and find a pic of my car which is over 2 years old,
    Washed with a sponge and ONE bucket with no grit guard,
    Gets dried with a Bath Towel I have specifically for this job,
    Has had petrol used on it several times to remove tar,
    Gets polished/waxed regularly.

I think you will find it hard to argue the point with me on this situation.
    OH
    By the way
    Derailing a thread could get you an infringement you know.

• Advertisement

vectra wrote: »
    You mean you actually have experience in something..?:confused:
    Something I would wonder about.to be honest
    But hey.
    Show me your super jobs with tardis
    Look through my posts here ( which you obviously have taken time to do ) and find a pic of my car which is over 2 years old,
    Washed with a sponge and ONE bucket with no grit guard,
    Gets dried with a Bath Towel I have specifically for this job,
    Has had petrol used on it several times to remove tar,
    Gets polished/waxed regularly.

I think you will find it hard to argue the point with me on this situation.
    OH
    By the way
    Derailing a thread could get you an infringement you know.
    So can back seat modding.
    Any person who claims to know cars will know that you can't tell a car properly from a photo, so I won't bother looking, but thanks anyway for your input.
    Back to the OP to decide what he wants to do, this discussion is going nowhere.

Stop jumping to conclusions and filling in gaps in the story that aren't there.

What are you on about I just repeated your story mention above?
    You really are an annoying individual and I wouldn't take my car near you because you're obviously not a perfectionist.

Now now, dont lower yourself to insults there, they dont win arguments :)
    I am a perfectionist, its a disease with me! And for you information people actually stop me to ask how I can keep my car so well. Now what ya think of that?
    There are many people in the building trade with 30 or 40 years experience too, but that didn't stop them building some of the sh!ttiest houses ever seen in the last 15 years either. Greed and max profit is more important to some people than a properly professional job.

What has the buidging industry got to do with washing a car?
    Good luck to you and your business and opinions. I don't agree with you based on my experience, and you can't hack it.

I can hack it fine. And goodluck to you too, I hope everything works out for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Who would have thunk that tar removal would be such a hot potato?

biko wrote: »

Wait till the roads start melting! ;)

I fell asleep pages ago, it's like Waldorf and Stadler from the muppet show!

waldorf202620stadler2032.jpg

So in conclusion, just use some sulphuric acid, a sprinkling of caustic soda and a brillo pad or wire brush and you're sound.
    Or you could cling film your car and tear off strips of the film when it becomes tar-ridden.

So can back seat modding.

I wasnt back seat modding.
    Just letting you know it is possible. ;)
    Any person who claims to know cars will know that you can't tell a car properly from a photo, so I won't bother looking, but thanks anyway for your input..

Now on that statement you are really letting yourself down
    Any blind man could see the difference between a car looked after and a car with bad paintwork
    Or
    Bad paint finish and a detailed one.
    EVEN in a photograph
    So in conclusion, just use some sulphuric acid, a sprinkling of caustic soda and a brillo pad or wire brush and you're sound.
    Or you could cling film your car and tear off strips of the film when it becomes tar-ridden.

Oh the mentality of some people
    I rest my case :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,055 ✭✭✭muckwarrior

Electric sander ftw! :pac:

Electric sander ftw! :pac:

Failing that you could alwys revert to the old "Wire Brush & Dettol" treatment :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

It's boards.ie :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

How long does it take people to detar their average car? I just think after hour two takes Im doing something wrong and how can those feckers in the valeting places(car parks) do it soo damn fast.

I am using Turtle Wax bug n tar.

Berty wrote: »

There's you problem, it's useless. Petrol will do a side of a car in minutes.

There's you problem, it's useless. Petrol will do a side of a car in minutes.

Jesus dont mention petrol around here, the Halfords boys will go spare!

No joking aside, its yer only man!

Jesus dont mention petrol around here, the Halfords boys will go spare!

No joking aside, its yer only man!

LOL :D

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Berty wrote: »
    How long does it take people to detar their average car? I just think after hour two takes Im doing something wrong and how can those feckers in the valeting places(car parks) do it soo damn fast.

That stuff is beyond useless

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

i wouldnt use turtle wax tar remover its crap. better off pi$$ing on a rag and using that. get yourself some tardis or holts tar remover gel or petrol if you wish (wouldnt use it on my own car personaly) whatever you use just follow it up with a wash polish and a wax!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 718 ✭✭✭thirdmantackle

Right, so an update to all yer bitching and moaning

I got Holts Tar and General Remover in a spray can. Did the job nicely. Though was hard to get off the paintwork afterwards.

95% of tar spots gone. Now that i know what i'm doing I'll get the rest of the little bsatards next time

• Registered Users Posts: 4,088 ✭✭✭sean1141

Right, so an update to all yer bitching and moaning

I got Holts Tar and General Remover in a spray can. Did the job nicely. Though was hard to get off the paintwork afterwards.

95% of tar spots gone. Now that i know what i'm doing I'll get the rest of the little bsatards next time
    dont let it dry on. i know it says leave for 3 mins on the can but thats way to long. spray it on, wait 30 seconds and wipe off. if there are still some spots left spray on a bit more, wait 30 again and wipe off. should be gone then. use a second cloth to remove any leftover gel and streak marks. wash, polish and wax the car...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 masterchef

YOU CAN GET TAR REMOVAL IN ANY GOOD MOTOR FACTORS GETS RIDD OF TAR EASY

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ingredients Tardis
    http://www.autosmart.co.uk/images/PDF%20Folder/Autosmart%20COSHH%20sheets/TARDIS%20-%20SDS10022%20-%20GBR.pdf
    Mainly
    WHITE SPIRIT
    XYLENE, similar to benzene which is an additive in petrol (actually petrol is benzin in German)

I knew it!
    I have tried petrol, WD40, paint thinner (DON'T is all I can say, kills your hands) and many other products such as T-cut.
    White spirit is the one thing that wins hands down every time.
    Gets rid of the tar easily, doesn't leave you with the hands of a week old corpse and actually doesn't make the paintwork dull, in fact seems to make it smooth, you can run your nails over it, feels like freshly waxed.
    And you can just wax over it and your car will look the bees knees.

Advertisement